PDA

View Full Version : Observations

naico
11-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Let me first say this: The Spurs being around the .500 mark is obviously not where they should be, but i'm not worried. They have the talent, depth and experience to turn it around and i'm confident they will.

Some things do stand out, and in my opinion are a factor in the recent 'bad' showings.

1. Pop is still figuring out how to use the new additions, and it could take a while before all is settled. But it is clear now that although the new guys bring more depth and talent, it does take certain things away (for now).
Especially the addition of RJ (and the new confidence of Hill) make(s) it difficult for himself and other ballhandlers to find their rythm. TP, Manu, RJ, Hill, TD and even Mason all like to have the ball in their hands to make something happen and it shows.
When TP was out, RJ did his thing, scoring and Manu could handle the rock like he loves to do. With TP back in, RJ is less focused on scoring and Manu doesn't handle the ball all that much or doesn't do it with the same players.
Not to mention, Mason, who clearly lost his shooting confidence with all that talent next to him. I mean, he's happy to get a few touches so he tends to force the issue when he gets them.
That's why i do understand Pop when he puts Bonner, Finley, Blair, Bogans in the starting lineup instead of Manu or Hill. Those guys don't need the ball in their hands and space the floor while they don't take away the action from TD, TP or Jefferson.

2. The Spurs will have to figure things out eventually and make the most of their talent. We can't go in the direction where Manu (i was always opposed to it), TP, TD, RJ or Hill need to be separated to get their touches and playing time. In my opinion that won't lead to anything good.
We've got the talent so we have to maximize that by playing them together. That means they'll have to learn how to play with eachother and they can only learn that by doing so. Come Febuary, this lineup should probably be the one: TP, Hill, RJ, TD and Dice with Manu as a sixth man. Those are the guyz who need to get 25-35 min. a night when the Playoffs arrive. I don't care who starts as long as they play together on a regular base throughout the game.

So my point is: Play them together! Don't wait too long, cuz they need the chemistry to play well

3. Some might not agree with me, but the Spurs have had an awful schedule up until now. If i'm not mistaking the Spurs have played the fewest games and that against teams that aren't elite and with pauses of sometimes 3,4 days. It can't get any worse, certainly if a team wants to find a certain rythm and chemistry on the court.

4. McDyess needs to enter the Starting Lineup ASAP. As i explained earlier on, our team can benefit from players who don't need the ball in their hands to make something happen and Dice is the perfect players for that role. He rebounds, plays tough defense, shoots the midrange jumper extremely well on offense and has been surprisingly good at the passing game down below. I know he still needs some rythm to be at his best, but what better way then to play him from the get go?

5. Our defense is sub par for the time being, but again i think they will benefit on that end if the rotation is finally set. Team defense will be a lot better.

In conclusion: The spurs need to put it all on the floor. The players and pop are intelligent enough to figure out how to play well with eachother eventually, but that's why the talent needs to learn how to play together and theres no way to do it better then to play them TOGETHER.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-16-2009, 07:00 AM
2. Check. Depending on matchups, subs Bogans for Hill.

3. I wouldn't say "awful", but it certainly hasn't been favourable for a veteran team. The last few years the Spurs seem to lose most games off a 4 day rest.

4. NO FREAKIN KIDDING! Been calling for this since the start, and will continue to howl it to the moon! Dice completely changes the complexion of the team when he's in. Time to start him and find 30mpg for him. He is a cornerstone at both ends that needs to build chemistry with TP, RJ and Tim particularly.

5. See 4 (point of reference: Detroit Pistons. Dice can be an excellent team defender and rebounder, but he needs time on the court to grow into the role).

Oh, and yeah, and anyone who starts panicking 8 games into the season ought to find another team. Fast starts aren't always the way we roll... it's all about SPAM, baby! ;)