PDA

View Full Version : Is college supposed to be this easy?

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 10:11 AM
So i had 5 classes to finally finish my bachelors degree i started in 1996. I decided that this past summer i would finish this shit. I pretty much have a career, and a steady job i am going on 3 years in. Make pretty good money, so i am not looking for much other than to finish what i started.

first summer class is some what taxing, it is every day and pretty "notes" and study intensive, i get by going 3 - 4 times a week, and make a B in the class.

second summer class is a fucking cake walk. Interesting subject matter, "Renaissance Ideas" or something along those lines. It is an elective, and i attend about twice a week, make an A.

This semester should be my last, i am taking three classes. Cognitive Psych, Social Psych, and Sensation and Perception.

Cognitive Psyc is a joke. The guy gives open book / notes tests. I went one time, the first day, and realized i didnt need to go back. I have now been to the class three times. I have never ONCE cracked the book or read the slides. First day, First test and Second test...i havent scored less than an 88 on the exams, currently have an A in the class with the final to go. What i dont get is the people in there that really take this class seriously. They make study groups, etc...and are constantly using the email system thing asking questions to the class about "what did i miss?!?" wtf...

Social Psych, same thing. Not open book tests, but all the notes and discussions are posted on the website. Never opened the book. I have been to class three 4 times. First day, and three tests, have an A in the class. Same thing, apparently people are failing this class, as there is constant stress on the class com. thing.

Ditto with the third, although it is a bit harder as she really likes to put the hurt on those who dont attend with pop quizes and what not.

I just dont remember college being this easy when i was younger. Hell, i already sold all my books back last week. I also dont understand how the F this is supposed to weed out the good from the bad in society? So i get this paper saying i have a degree, and i technically attended class about 6 days a semester? I am now better than you who doesnt have this paper...joke...

My daily rant, trying to get my B2B on.

Leetonidas
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Where are you going to college man? I need to transfer. Are you getting a psychology related degree?

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
UTSA, yep....Bachelors in Psych.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 10:34 AM
UTSA

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
^^ true...to me its just a paper saying i finished something. Sorta like winning a spelling bee in 1st grade. It's cool, but does it really matter?

glad i chose to finish there and not do the Phoenix online thing...my only complaint is they just dont give me the degree, and i actually have to wait to pass the classes. At this rate, does it really matter...why not just pay the money your freshman year, and they give you the degree. They would make their money, and kids could go about their lives without wasting all that time.

i should consider a phd, then id be a certified bad ass...

BacktoBasics
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
No doubt 90% of modern day schooling is a fucking cake walk from grade school on up. Its watered down and taught by unqualified predominately underpaid teachers/professors to ungrateful little bastards so its no surprise at the declining level of overall difficulty and quality.

Its a near endless number of lazy, worthless, pathetic and generally stupid people who don't take half of college seriously because mommy or daddy are making them go even though they haven't got the slightest idea on how to capitalize on the resources of higher learning.

Its too easy, too expensive and generally the largest wasted resource behind oil in this country.

DarkReign
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Ive noticed that UTSA gets a really bad rap around here. I know nothing about the school, but is the relationship between UT and UTSA similar to Michigan and Michigan State?

I wouldnt think so....even the most arrogant UM grad wouldnt belittle a MSU grad to this extent.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 10:46 AM
UTSA is the equivalent of Wayne University (college?) in Detroit but from my understanding is probably a bit worse. UM certainly better than MSU but MSU is a far better school than UTSA.

Look at the OP, open note tests in an upper division course? WTF?

CubanMustGo
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
UTSA is the equivalent of Wayne University (college?) in Detroit but from my understanding is probably a bit worse. UM certainly better than MSU but MSU is a far better school than UTSA.

Those don't really sound like upper division courses, to be honest.

My experience has been that once you've been in the real world for some while, coming back to do undergrad work is pretty easy.

balli
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Not only is college easy, but even graduate school can be a joke. I don't have a grad degree, but my mother was holding an adjunct position at a supposedly rigorous and prestigious local college (Westminster).

I spent a fair amount of time leafing through papers submitted by her students. It was a fucking joke. Some of those 'graduate students' could barely fucking write. They were utterly clueless. It's beyond me that they made it through their undergrad degress with good enough grades to get into a grad program. It was laughable.

I've never subscribed to objectivism- except when it comes to higher education. Shit's a joke.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
They don't sound like it but I'm pretty sure if these are the final courses he needs for his BS in Psych then they are.

mrsmaalox
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Ive noticed that UTSA gets a really bad rap around here. I know nothing about the school, but is the relationship between UT and UTSA similar to Michigan and Michigan State?

I wouldnt think so....even the most arrogant UM grad wouldnt belittle a MSU grad to this extent.

My degrees are not from any of the universities in question, but I would venture to guess that most of the UTSA/education critics here have yet to earn a degree from any university
;)

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Cognitive Psych is 3103, and it is the easiest class by far. I couldnt tell you what the tests are going to even be over until test day, and like i said, i have an A in the course, with only the final left to take (also open book). I usually print out the slides about 2hrs before class, and correlate everything, then head out. I think the harest part of this class is wasting paper and ink printing everything.

Sensation and Perception is another 3000 level class, a bit harder, but if i put even 10% effort into it, it wouldnt be that bad.

Social Psych is the only lower division class, 2000something...but just as easy, as stated.

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 10:55 AM
WTH? I work hard at UTSA. My major is accounting.

There was this older lady in my federal income taxation II class who was always there, asking questions, studying and putting in all the time and failed the first test. Me, I got an 83 while probably putting less time and effort in the class. Don't get me wrong I did the review and what not, but sometimes people just have it, and others don't. Be glad you naturally get stuff, that other people need a whole lot of time to learn, and can't even learn it.

BacktoBasics
11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
WTH? I work hard at UTSA. My major is accounting.

There was this older lady in my federal income taxation II class who was always there, asking questions, studying and putting in all the time and failed the first test. Me, I got an 83 while probably putting less time and effort in the class. Don't get me wrong I did the review and what not, but sometimes people just have it, and others don't. Be glad you naturally get stuff, that other people need a whole lot of time to learn, and can't even learn it.The world needs ditch diggers.

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 10:57 AM
The world needs ditch diggers.

Man, you want the old lady to dig!??

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Ahhh.As long as its not me....

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Its one thing to naturally have it but its quite another to be allowed to take an open book final in an upper division course.

balli
11-16-2009, 11:00 AM
IMO even the people who 'don't have it' are too often subsidized. The US higher-ed system loves it some acquiescence to mediocrity.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Its one thing to naturally have it but its quite another to be allowed to take an open book final in an upper division course.

^^This...

believe me, im not really complaining, as i have a family, life, full time job, mortgage etc...but wow...

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 11:02 AM

I think it depends on what type of class...

I know in Federal Income Tax I, we used the book, but that was because there are all these rates that change every year. Basically there was no point in memorizing it. We just had to know how to apply them...

But now in Tax II, we are not allowed to used the book... go figure...

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 11:04 AM
You know what is terrible. Even with the open book / notes thing. Each exam there are at least 3 to 5 people that score below a 70...

explain that shit...completely and utterly baffles me that i can spend 0% time focused on this class, and have an A, and there are others who are most likely failing.

chode_regulator
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
In my stats class, not utsa, the tests were open book open note. One guy still failed and several got in the 70s.

JoeChalupa
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
And here my oldest will be heading to college in a few years! :bang So many schools, so many decisions and options. :bang And I always here how UTSA is so bad yet I know quite a few friends who graduated from there are doing very well. :bang
I keep telling her that college is going to be tough and demanding.

baseline bum
11-16-2009, 11:33 AM

The hardest final (by far) that I ever took was a take-home. Open-notes only make an exam easy if your professor is lazy and gives you problems he's already solved in class or things that have one-line answers. In my experience open-notes exams are almost always more challenging (and interesting) than ones that expect memorization.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
That's why nobody wants to hire people with Bachelor of Psychology degrees. It's considered a cakewalk degree no matter where you got it.

thispego
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
My sensation and perception teacher was a first year professor and Very nice and sweet. But that was the HARDEST class I ever took. Average grade in the class was a C. I passed only because she liked me and I participated in class.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
The hardest final (by far) that I ever took was a take-home. Open-notes only make an exam easy if your professor is lazy and gives you problems he's already solved in class or things that have one-line answers. In my experience open-notes exams are almost always more challenging (and interesting) than ones that expect memorization.

Agreed. I took a 4th level engineering course and the final was three problems open book/open notes. I burned through an entire legal pad showing my work. We all walked out of there three hours later shell shocked. The highest score on the test was a 48.

thispego
11-16-2009, 11:43 AM
That's why nobody wants to hire people with Bachelor of Psychology degrees. It's considered a cakewalk degree no matter where you got it.

F yeah. That's the only reason I got the degree. Easiest one you can get... and I can't KEEP people from hiring me. I'm too desirable of an employee.

Cry Havoc
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
It's all about the professors.

I took a history class at my alma mater. I loved it. The professor was absolutely awesome and you walked out of his lectures feeling like you could give a lecture by yourself if you needed to. This isn't an exaggeration. It literally felt like you were explosively gaining knowledge while in his class (and most of it was retained as well). Awesome. If only every class could be like that.

That said, you had to study for around 6-8 hours for the QUIZZES in his class, to say nothing of the tests, which study groups got together for several days for. NO one aced that class, and only a couple of people got A's. As a non-history major, I was pretty satisfied that I was out-performing several people who had a history major in the class. 48 people signed up for it, and 17 people completed the class with a passing grade. Probably 25+ dropped it after the first two classes. But it was worth it.

Other times, the classes were so easy I could walk through them. I knew more about Astronomy than my Astronomy 101 professor did, and he even told me as much. :rollin

mrsmaalox
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Pretty much. Isn't that the degree Ash has, that hasn't helped her at all? I don't think even the Army will take you without a Master's.

rjv
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Not only is college easy, but even graduate school can be a joke. I don't have a grad degree, but my mother was holding an adjunct position at a supposedly rigorous and prestigious local college (Westminster).

I spent a fair amount of time leafing through papers submitted by her students. It was a fucking joke. Some of those 'graduate students' could barely fucking write. They were utterly clueless. It's beyond me that they made it through their undergrad degress with good enough grades to get into a grad program. It was laughable.

I've never subscribed to objectivism- except when it comes to higher education. Shit's a joke.

grad school was no joke to me nor were some of my upper level courses at a&m.

thispego
11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Problem with people who bitch about having a Psych degree is they think they'll have their dream job right out of college. You still gotta pay your dues for a few years in jobs you may not consider to be ideal.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Pretty much. Isn't that the degree Ash has, that hasn't helped her at all? I don't think even the Army will take you without a Master's.

Ineed. :) Still not backing down saying it was a bad idea. I'll get around to Grad school sometime. Maybe when I can find someone to pay me to go to Grad school.

And if I can't get that to work out I will eventually pay my dues. I have some jobs to apply for today....

But here's my take on the whole "my classes are soooo easy I want to bitch about it...."

Social Psych is still basics. Isn't it like a 200 level class? I can understand that being easy. If you plan on going any farther in Psychology (which it doesn't sound like you are) Social Psych and Developmental Psych are the building blocks of theory in Psychology as far as I can tell.

Like spiego, my Cognition class was taught my a young professor and I think half the reason why the guys stayed alert and awake in the class at 9 o'clock was because she was hot (no denying it...she was like 5'8 skinny, blonde and legs that never ended..but she was a Sooner). Anyway.

The Perception stuff can be easy too, but depending on the intensity can be interesting and intense.At least mine was.

I busted my ass with my Psych degree. In all honesty, I slept through my Spanish degree and only got one B. My Psychology degree was harder then the Spanish degree. It depends on the school, the professors, the school size, the class size, research opportunities, what you're going to do with it it, etc. If you're just getting the psych degree to finish up and to say "Look at me I have a BA (or BS...whatever) then quit your bitching. No one really cares.

And finally...lol UTSA.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
You are right, a psych degree is pretty useless. Which is why i chose to abandon it about half way through when offered a real job. Now that i have a stable career and income, i felt like it wouldnt hurt to pad the resume.

If i was relying on it, solely for employment, i would be in a world of hurt.

Regarding open book tests. Apples and Oarnges. For abstract knowledge type stuff, they are, in fact, very easy. I could see how an engineering or any math related open book test would be just as hard as a normal one.

But when i ask you a multiple choice question such as:

The serial position curve in free recall explains both _____ and ____ effects.

It is very easy to go to the index of your book and look up serial position curve. or just find the topic in the class slides and fill in the blanks.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Ineed. :) Still not backing down saying it was a bad idea. I'll get around to Grad school sometime. Maybe when I can find someone to pay me to go to Grad school.

And if I can't get that to work out I will eventually pay my dues. I have some jobs to apply for today....

But here's my take on the whole "my classes are soooo easy I want to bitch about it...."

Social Psych is still basics. Isn't it like a 200 level class? I can understand that being easy. If you plan on going any farther in Psychology (which it doesn't sound like you are) Social Psych and Developmental Psych are the building blocks of theory in Psychology as far as I can tell.

Like spiego, my Cognition class was taught my a young professor and I think half the reason why the guys stayed alert and awake in the class at 9 o'clock was because she was hot (no denying it...she was like 5'8 skinny, blonde and legs that never ended..but she was a Sooner). Anyway.

The Perception stuff can be easy too, but depending on the intensity can be interesting and intense.At least mine was.

I busted my ass with my Psych degree. In all honesty, I slept through my Spanish degree and only got one B. My Psychology degree was harder then the Spanish degree. It depends on the school, the professors, the school size, the class size, research opportunities, what you're going to do with it it, etc. If you're just getting the psych degree to finish up and to say "Look at me I have a BA (or BS...whatever) then quit your bitching. No one really cares.

And finally...lol UTSA.

UTSA smack? Is Texas Lutheran really > UTSA?

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
UTSA smack? Is Texas Lutheran really > UTSA?

I'm fine with saying that.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 12:21 PM
My degrees are not from any of the universities in question, but I would venture to guess that most of the UTSA/education critics here have yet to earn a degree from any university
;)

The majority of people I know how bitch about UTSA are people that have worked hard there and gotten their degrees. I have BAs in History and American Studies from UTSA, and the classes there are as hard as you make them to be. VERY few classes will really challenge people (they are out there - you'll know which ones they are because people avoid them and trash the profs on ratemyprofessor.com), it's up to the student to challenge him- or herself, because if you want someone to fucking hold your hand through a degree program, the administration will see to it that it happens. I put a shit ton of work into my degrees, and came out with recommendations good enough to get me into UM, but it's hard not to resent the fact that there are thousands of underachievers to whom the administration caters who cheapen the value of my degrees.

The fact that I could go back and get an MA in history at UTSA without taking the GRE or having recommendations or writing a statement of purpose is fucking depressing.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
And here my oldest will be heading to college in a few years! :bang So many schools, so many decisions and options. :bang And I always here how UTSA is so bad yet I know quite a few friends who graduated from there are doing very well. :bang

UTSA is a great place to go if you want to end up at grad school somewhere better. It's cheap, relatively easy, and profs tend to be thrilled with motivated students (and they will then write awesome recs for you later). You can learn a lot there - the facilities are nice and new, many of the profs are excellent, and they've even been bringing in some really impressive adjunct faculty in the sciences the last few years, but you have to be self-motivated to achieve your potential.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 12:28 PM

And finally...lol UTSA.

No one care's that they pay 10s of thousands of dollars to learn next to nothing, and have next to no marketability in the workforce? You are right, for me, it doesnt matter that much, i was lucky i guess in that i got a job completely unrelated to college and ran with it. But how did that work out for you? You regretting spending all that money for the piece of paper? Not really trying to insult you as i commend your effort, but doesnt it feel cheap by the fact a trained monkey could probably do it?

My wife has a Masters in Counseling Psych and BA in Psych, all from Our Lady of the Lake, with an LPC and LSOTP licensing, and 12 years of experience. She would be lucky to get a job making more than 40k a year out of the box. I have no degree, no graduate degree, and no licensing and make quite a bit more than that, doing about 1/4th the work.

She is working hard though and took her measley salary, working on starting her own practice which is already very successfull, and does some contract work. All of that, and she matches my salary in which i sit at home and monitor some websites all day, and engage in this ground breaking conversation with you.

sound fair? or worth it? Kinda makes college seem like a joke, which was my point.

CuckingFunt
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
The fact that I could go back and get an MA in history at UTSA without taking the GRE or having recommendations or writing a statement of purpose is fucking depressing.

I can only assume that's because you got your BA there, and not because they don't require those things from new applicants. Right? If not... wow.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I can only assume that's because you got your BA there, and not because they don't require those things from new applicants. Right? If not... wow.

It's in the general requirements, and the history department does not require you to have any additional materials to the general application (their site keeps referring back to this page: http://www.graduateschool.utsa.edu/prospective_students/detail/history_ma/) "Wow" is right.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Not really trying to insult you as i commend your effort, but doesnt it feel cheap by the fact a trained monkey could probably do it?

No, that's exactly what you're doing and that's exactly what this thread is going to turn in to. Two different camps. One in the school of hard knocks and one in the "I busted my ass for four + years" camp. And there is no amount of arguing that can change what either of us believe. I'll continue to read the thread, but I'm done arguing about it and at this point in my career, it's clear, no obvious apparent, a reality, that my degree in psychology obviously doesn't mean shit compared to the 100+ years of whatever experience of you all have.

JoeChalupa
11-16-2009, 12:42 PM
UTSA is a great place to go if you want to end up at grad school somewhere better. It's cheap, relatively easy, and profs tend to be thrilled with motivated students (and they will then write awesome recs for you later). You can learn a lot there - the facilities are nice and new, many of the profs are excellent, and they've even been bringing in some really impressive adjunct faculty in the sciences the last few years, but you have to be self-motivated to achieve your potential.

Well, that makes me feel better. Thanks. :tu

mrsmaalox
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
The majority of people I know how bitch about UTSA are people that have worked hard there and gotten their degrees. I have BAs in History and American Studies from UTSA, and the classes there are as hard as you make them to be. VERY few classes will really challenge people (they are out there - you'll know which ones they are because people avoid them and trash the profs on ratemyprofessor.com), it's up to the student to challenge him- or herself, because if you want someone to fucking hold your hand through a degree program, the administration will see to it that it happens. I put a shit ton of work into my degrees, and came out with recommendations good enough to get me into UM, but it's hard not to resent the fact that there are thousands of underachievers to whom the administration caters who cheapen the value of my degrees.

I'm sure you are absolutely right. As I stated my degrees are not from UTSA, and I've never experienced any of the programs here in San Antonio. I was commenting based on the interactions I have with people here in SA. Most of my inner circle are master's prepared professionals, some from UTSA,---but I've never heard such bashing of UTSA outside of ST. That's why I qualified "most of the UTSA/education critics here have yet to earn a degree".

florige
11-16-2009, 12:45 PM
No, that's exactly what you're doing and that's exactly what this thread is going to turn in to. Two different camps. One in the school of hard knocks and one in the "I busted my ass for four + years" camp. And there is no amount of arguing that can change what either of us believe. I'll continue to read the thread, but I'm done arguing about it and at this point in my career, it's clear, no obvious apparent, a reality, that my degree in psychology obviously doesn't mean shit compared to the 100+ years of whatever experience of you all have.

So basically what you are saying is, your degree is equivalant to getting a BA in Biology? No point unless you are planning on going to med school?

lebomb
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM

No shit :rolleyes ............. try a bachelors in EE, Mathematics or Architecture at Utsa and then tell us its a cake walk.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
So basically what you are saying is, your degree is equivalant to getting a BA in Biology? No point unless you are planning on going to med school?

What I'm saying is that there is no point in arguing the worst of my education. Because it is my education and you all can suck it.

Libri
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Some departments at UTSA are better than others. For example, the engineering and sciences departments have been receiving a lot of funding and have hired some faculty that are renowned within their field.

The social sciences departments don't receive the same amount of funding and there are some departments that have not been able to offer a variety of courses because they don't have enough professors.

Even though a department may not have an outstanding reputation, they may contain some professors who have contacts and can provide the necessary recommendations to open doors for graduate study at a more prestigious university. Many have taken this rout and have ended up at universities that offer more specialized studies. This is something that I might choose to do.

baseline bum
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
You are right, a psych degree is pretty useless. Which is why i chose to abandon it about half way through when offered a real job. Now that i have a stable career and income, i felt like it wouldnt hurt to pad the resume.

If i was relying on it, solely for employment, i would be in a world of hurt.

Regarding open book tests. Apples and Oarnges. For abstract knowledge type stuff, they are, in fact, very easy. I could see how an engineering or any math related open book test would be just as hard as a normal one.

But when i ask you a multiple choice question such as:

The serial position curve in free recall explains both _____ and ____ effects.

It is very easy to go to the index of your book and look up serial position curve. or just find the topic in the class slides and fill in the blanks.

Like I said, that's the exam of a lazy professor, not an indictment of open-book exams. It's not like long-format answers are something exclusive to math and engineering. I consider it being cheated out of my money when I get an exam with questions like that.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Like I said, that's the exam of a lazy professor, not an indictment of open-book exams. It's not like long-format answers are something exclusive to math and engineering. I consider it being cheated out of my money when I get an exam with questions like that.

I agree completely. This guy is a PhD and has a career with the government doing psych research stuff out at Brooks City Base. This prof stuff is just a side job for him, and it shows.

Not to belittle the guy, he is a smart man, and great guy...but the class is truly a joke. I feel bad for the people that are failing it...wait, no i dont...who the fuck could fail it?

Bender
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
blonde and legs that never ended..

sounds like a quote from a Mickey Spillane novel from the 50s...

:tu

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Exactly, I think a bachelors in psych really doesnt serve a purpose unless you are going to couple it with a masters and licenses. Even then, dont expect to make much more than a manager at Arby's. You need to finish it with a PhD, but even with that, its pretty much what you make of it.

My wife went this route, and will tell you that the bachelors was just a formality. What has allowed her to make any money really was the licenses and experience. It isnt engineering money, but about the cap at that career field.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I agree completely. This guy is a PhD and has a career with the government doing psych research stuff out at Brooks City Base. This prof stuff is just a side job for him, and it shows.

I only had one part time Professor in the time I was at TLU. He was a cool guy, but it was the one of the few cake walk classes I did have. Part time professors doing it just for the extra cash can be great fun if you're looking for an easy A or for something to fit in your schedule (like your route). But if you're looking to get the the best out of your education then stick with the big names, heads of the department, permanent faculty professors or ones that are on the tenure track. And that goes for anyone, not just a UTSA/TLU student. Any college.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Exactly, I think a bachelors in psych really doesnt serve a purpose unless you are going to couple it with a masters and licenses. Even then, dont expect to make much more than a manager at Arby's. You need to finish it with a PhD, but even with that, its pretty much what you make of it.

But this is a double edge sword. Continue your education but don't get the experience you need to land your dream job...or even to get in to that great Tier 1 research school with the great professors....this is where I'm at right now. Get that two-three years of social work/outreach.advocacy experience and then go into a Grad program that requires more than just your presence to get an MA....right?

sabar
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
All college is easy. Unless you are innovating in some science field, it's all just memorization.

Also, most people are retards. Just look around at the world for a moment. There's grown adults that can't multiply numbers or spell words. American adults.

lebomb
11-16-2009, 01:06 PM
All college is easy. Unless you are innovating in some science field, it's all just memorization.

Also, most people are retards. Just look around at the world for a moment. There's grown adults that can't multiply numbers or spell words. American adults.

Wrong buddy.............architecture is NOT about memorization, unless you are talking about the history of arch. courses.

All college is easy.............you really need to attend a college if this is what you think. :lmao

florige
11-16-2009, 01:06 PM
What I'm saying is that there is no point in arguing the worst of my education. Because it is my education and you all can suck it.

Geeezuz Ash I was just asking I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. lol Chill girl!

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Geeezuz Ash I was just asking I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. lol Chill girl!

Flo! You made me cry!

But seriously. Psychology, Communications, Biology, English, Sociology....there are a ton of degrees that are better with a B.A. M.A. P.h.D., M.D. attached to the end of it.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
But this is a double edge sword. Continue your education but don't get the experience you need to land your dream job...or even to get in to that great Tier 1 research school with the great professors....this is where I'm at right now. Get that two-three years of social work/outreach.advocacy experience and then go into a Grad program that requires more than just your presence to get an MA....right?

Yea that is a tough one...its hard to say really and i am glad i dont have to make those choices.

I feel bad each time i go to class at the level of optimism these kids have going for their psych degree, and the reality of the matter when you get out.

If you can afford to make about 35 to 45 thousand a year and put in a TON of work to get there, then go for it. It has to be something you love to do though, as the money WILL NOT keep you motivated. My wife deals with it daily.

florige
11-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Flo! You made me cry!

But seriously. Psychology, Communications, Biology, English, Sociology....there are a ton of degrees that are better with a B.A. M.A. P.h.D., M.D. attached to the end of it.

I think Engineering is probably the only degree nowadays that you can graduate with a B.A and still land a job making good $ right away. Ironically it is probably one of the hardest major's too.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I only had one part time Professor in the time I was at TLU. He was a cool guy, but it was the one of the few cake walk classes I did have. Part time professors doing it just for the extra cash can be great fun if you're looking for an easy A or for something to fit in your schedule (like your route). But if you're looking to get the the best out of your education then stick with the big names, heads of the department, permanent faculty professors or ones that are on the tenure track. And that goes for anyone, not just a UTSA/TLU student. Any college.

One of my points here though. Which do you want...would you rather be grilled and actually learn something and fight for your grade...or have the easy class that you attend 4 times a year and pass with an A.

When you go to get that job, will the employer care that you struggled and learned a lot in the class, or will they juts care that you got the A? Either way you wont know shit on your first day of work, and have to be retrained for a few weeks...I dont think my wife has ever even had to prove any grades attended...Only thing they had ever asked her for in a job was a copy of her licensures.

Brings me back to my original point, why not just take the 20k or whatever it costs, save all the money on facilities and staff, and just buy a printer and hand me the paper!

eyeh8u
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
a bachelors in psych is easy because its useless, anything short of a phd cant get you that far in psych

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Yea that is a tough one...its hard to say really and i am glad i dont have to make those choices.

I feel bad each time i go to class at the level of optimism these kids have going for their psych degree, and the reality of the matter when you get out.

If you can afford to make about 35 to 45 thousand a year and put in a TON of work to get there, then go for it. It has to be something you love to do though, as the money WILL NOT keep you motivated. My wife deals with it daily.

See, that's the thing. It is ridiculously cheesy and some people may call me out on it, but what I'm going to say is true.

While working at West people were so pumped by the incentives they had to do well, Spurs tickets, trips to Vegas, gift cards, etc. I think the only thing I wanted were the Spurs tickets and the closest parking spot possible because I hated walking in heels. The positive reinforcement they gave me just was a load of crap. What drove me to at least try to do well was the occasional "Thank you." I got from the people that would talk to me.

When I started working for ACORN it made my day when a homeowner would come in to the office and be ecstatic to report back to me that their home was saved from being sold that next Tuesday. Their happiness was contagious. It made my day. And it didn't matter that I was going home to my parents house and that there was no way that I was ever going to move out the way their salary was managed. The happiness and the outcome outweighed the income. It was enough to pay my student loans, my insurance, and even my uncovered prescription medicine. The outcome that some people get from getting trips and money and comission is what I get from happiness. And that's what keeps me headed in the direction I am...with or without the degree.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I think Engineering is probably the only degree nowadays that you can graduate with a B.A and still land a job making good $ right away. Ironically it is probably one of the hardest major's too.

I read an article on CNN about a kid who couldn't even land an engineering job with two internships under his belt a few weeks ago.

:elephant for me!

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
See, that's the thing. It is ridiculously cheesy and some people may call me out on it, but what I'm going to say is true.

While working at West people were so pumped by the incentives they had to do well, Spurs tickets, trips to Vegas, gift cards, etc. I think the only thing I wanted were the Spurs tickets and the closest parking spot possible because I hated walking in heels. The positive reinforcement they gave me just was a load of crap. What drove me to at least try to do well was the occasional "Thank you." I got from the people that would talk to me.

When I started working for ACORN it made my day when a homeowner would come in to the office and be ecstatic to report back to me that their home was saved from being sold that next Tuesday. Their happiness was contagious. It made my day. And it didn't matter that I was going home to my parents house and that there was no way that I was ever going to move out the way their salary was managed. The happiness and the outcome outweighed the income. It was enough to pay my student loans, my insurance, and even my uncovered prescription medicine. The outcome that some people get from getting trips and money and comission is what I get from happiness. And that's what keeps me headed in the direction I am...with or without the degree.

Sounds like you have the support system, and the desire to do the job...let the money just fall where it may and go after it. You know you will need the upper level degrees to get further in the line of work, so go after em now while you still can (before kids, husband, bigger cars, house, etc..)

baseline bum
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard. You have been cheated if your school only tested memorization, but don't project that on to every other school.

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Getting a degree these days doesn't mean as much as it used to. It seems quite a bit of employers see work experience over a college degree, unless it's specialized, of course.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I think it all depends on the person that goes there what college is all about. I love being at UTSA..but I am also just going there for a bachelors and my MA will be at OU either in History or International Relations.

Every class is different and every student is different and it's true when some people say that some people just don't get it.

There can be history majors who find it hard to do well in certain classes, and some people who don't. I personally found it hard to do well in economics requirements for my history degree because I despise mathematics and theories of economics.

That doesn't mean anything about your overall education because in my upper division history classes I make A's and B's.

Also there are some people who need electives and they are in subjects that they don't do well on. A friend of mine has a 3.9 GPA and is majoring in law or something of that nature, yet she has a C grade in the history class we share together. That doesn't really prove anything about her education or abilities. Some people just find certain subjects difficult.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
MSU is a decent school with an A+ social scene. While UM is a great school, the atmosphere is certainly lacking. Plus, most of the people suck there. Sorry, Jekka.

Though in three years at MSU, I think I only had one or two exams that weren't multiple choice. I took two Finals in the same time slot and once took 6 or 7 classes in a semester.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 02:05 PM
MSU is a decent school with an A+ social scene. While UM is a great school, the atmosphere is certainly lacking. Plus, most of the people suck there. Sorry, Jekka.

Interesting observation. My son did law school there so I have been to Ann Arbor quite a few times. It kind of reminded me of Austin in the 70's. I certainly wouldn't have described it as lacking atmosphere.

11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm probably a bit jaded because almost all of the people I met there were arrogant assholes.

JoeChalupa
11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
So from what I can gather I may as well prepare for 6-8 yrs of college for each of my daughters!?!? A 4yr degree just won't cut it these days? My oldest also mentioned she is seriously thinking about the military, Air Force, but I'm still pushing college big time. While my recent hospital stays have opened my eyes to the many opportunities in the medical field. I was asking every nurse and tech questions all the time.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm probably a bit jaded because almost all of the people I met there were arrogant assholes.

Oh that makes sense. I'm an arrogant asshole so I felt right at home.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM

I like some parts of Ann Arbor, but there's a reason I spend more of my time in Ypsi when I'm not on campus. I don't think that blue collar exists in Ann Arbor, and I need something between pretentiousness and homelessness.

JoeChalupa
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh that makes sense. I'm an arrogant asshole so I felt right at home.

:lmao

11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I like some parts of Ann Arbor, but there's a reason I spend more of my time in Ypsi when I'm not on campus. I don't think that blue collar exists in Ann Arbor, and I need something between pretentiousness and homelessness.

I have been in AA for quite some time.

Is the general breakdown still the same?

1/4 snobby Jewish East Coasters, 1/4 Asians, 1/4 Napolean Dynamites, 1/4 average college students

11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I can't bag on AA that much. The town does have Zingerman's Deli within city limits.

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM

I really liked Ann Arbor when I visited. Reminded me of a more pretentious Austin, but I still liked it. Only thing I remember about Ypsi was Yaya's chicken.

Just my two cents. :)

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I can't bag on AA that much. The town does have Zingerman's Deli within city limits.

Zingerman's rocks. :toast

Jekka
11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I have been in AA for quite some time.

Is the general breakdown still the same?

1/4 snobby Jewish East Coasters, 1/4 Asians, 1/4 Napolean Dynamites, 1/4 average college students
I would add a category for all of the rich white people that own all of the nice non-rental real estate around the east side of campus who I assume are the only people who can afford to eat at most of the restaurants on Main Street, but yeah, that's about right. I was told by a couple of people when I got here that they assumed I was Jewish since I wasn't blonde.

I really liked Ann Arbor when I visited. Reminded me of a more pretentious Austin, but I still liked it. Only thing I remember about Ypsi was Yaya's chicken.

Just my two cents. :)
There is no such thing as a more pretentious Austin - the difference between Austin and Ann Arbor is that the most pretentious people in Austin are somehow the ones without much money. Then you have the indie-fuckers and the crafters. I'm not a huge fan of Austin anymore. I do well there for about a weekend, and then I want out.

Yaya's chicken is good, but Sidetracks and the Corner Brewery are my two favorite spots down there. Can't beat a cheeseburger, sweet potato fries, and a good beer. Especially when it's cold as fucking hell!

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
There is no such thing as a more pretentious Austin - the difference between Austin and Ann Arbor is that the most pretentious people in Austin are somehow the ones without much money. Then you have the indie-fuckers and the crafters. I'm not a huge fan of Austin anymore. I do well there for about a weekend, and then I want out.

Yaya's chicken is good, but Sidetracks and the Corner Brewery are my two favorite spots down there. Can't beat a cheeseburger, sweet potato fries, and a good beer. Especially when it's cold as fucking hell!

I love Austin. Maybe I thought that about Ann Arbor because I felt that Austin has more of a reason to be pretentious than Ann Arbor does? Not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever but I'm sticking to it.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I've never been to Norman but I plan on visit being I enroll to get my MA in a few years to see what it's like, but I hope it's not like College Station/Bryan.

I couldn't stomach the lack of minorities in Aggieland. There is nothing but white conservatives there. I was dumbfounded. But me personally, I hate college towns anyway.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I love Austin. Maybe I thought that about Ann Arbor because I felt that Austin has more of a reason to be pretentious than Ann Arbor does? Not sure if that makes any sense whatsoever but I'm sticking to it.

I loved the Austin that I grew up visiting, but it's become such a clusterfuck that I just don't find it nearly as enjoyable anymore. Preference is subjective regardless.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I've never been to Norman but I plan on visit being I enroll to get my MA in a few years to see what it's like, but I hope it's not like College Station/Bryan.

I couldn't stomach the lack of minorities in Aggieland. There is nothing but white conservatives there. I was dumbfounded. But me personally, I hate college towns anyway.

... you hate college towns so you're moving to Norman, and you don't want to be around white conservatives so you go to Oklahoma? Of course, it all makes perfect sense.

Death In June
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Undergrad was easy, but it plays to your talents and what you find interesting, so I guess it's supposed to be. Professional schools, on the other hand, are/have been a pain in the ass.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
... you hate college towns so you're moving to Norman, and you don't want to be around white conservatives so you go to Oklahoma? Of course, it all makes perfect sense.

Has ANYTHING Duff ever said in here made sense? :lol

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Someone re-post the link to Duffs myspace page. That was some classic stuff!

DarkReign
11-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Youre talking to a person who attended community college for one semester 11 years ago. Until now, I wouldnt have known what "upper division course" even meant besides the obvious context it was used in and certainly would have no idea about whether open-book/open-note tests were the norm or not.

In this instance, and many others, my ignorance precedes me.

Death In June
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
People rag on UTSA, but most of the bio professors there are alright. They're better than they're credited for anyway. I'd prefer most of them to the professors I have now.

DarkReign
11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
She is working hard though and took her measley salary, working on starting her own practice which is already very successfull, and does some contract work. All of that, and she matches my salary in which i sit at home and monitor some websites all day, and engage in this ground breaking conversation with you.

sound fair? or worth it? Kinda makes college seem like a joke, which was my point.

I laughed.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Duff, Norman is pretty much exactly like College Station except because of its proximity to Oklahoma City its more like a San Antonio sized. I was accepted at OU for the Spring semester as a transfer student to School of Meteorology and Geography but since initially my plan was A&M I had figured I was going to end up moving to a location with that type of demographic unless Jekka got a job somewhere more civilized.

That being said at nearly 30 years old I could give two shits about the college atmosphere and am far more interested in the research opportunities available wherever I go to school as that will influence where I take my graduate studies. A&M and Texas Tech were the only schools I seriously considered in Texas because of their programs in meteorology and some of the research going on at each location.

I never for a second considred getting a degree from UTSA even though I know several people who have gotten degrees from there and gone off to excellent graduate programs. Its fucking UTSA.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Problem with people who bitch about having a Psych degree is they think they'll have their dream job right out of college. You still gotta pay your dues for a few years in jobs you may not consider to be ideal.

Pretty much agree with this fully. I don't think getting a psych degree is a waste by any means if you have a plan on how that is going to get you where you want to go and you are realistic about it.

Now, if you expect to make six figures out right out of undergrad then LOL.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Pretty much agree with this fully. I don't think getting a psych degree is a waste by any means if you have a plan on how that is going to get you where you want to go and you are realistic about it.

Now, if you expect to make six figures out right out of undergrad then LOL.

Yea, but if you want to break 30k a year...you are going to be looking for a while.

That's pathetic when you think about it, since im pretty sure i could be an asst mgr at Bill Millers and make about that.

thispego
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
hopefully there isnt anyone who expects that :lol

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 03:41 PM
It is what it is and people should understand what they are getting into (which is admittedly a lot to expect from many 18-20 year olds).

Not every degree is going to be a cash cow but depending on what you really want to do then you'll go for it.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM

My best friends wife expected to make 100k a year within 3 years of graduating UTSA with an English degree.

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
My friends X-wife graduated from UT with an english degree and got a job with Halmark, something to do with their greeting cards, making about 8 dollars an hour. This was back in 1998 / 99 time frame, but still...lol...

Soul_Patch
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
My wife had a job interview about 9 months ago, before she got her current job, with "The Children's Shelter". It is an in patient facility for abused kids (for the most part).

Keep in mind she has a Master's in Psych and 2 licenses and over 10 years experience. She went to three interviews. All said and done, they loved her. They made her an offer of 32,000/year. She really wanted to job, loved the population and what they do, but we just couldnt do it, financially. They went back, talked to the director, worked and pulled strings and got her offer to 35,000...she regretfully turned them down.

Such a shame, since they will find a recent UTSA grad, who took or is taking the same classes i am and doesnt know shit about shit...and those kids wont learn a thing...hopefully i am wrong, but i doubt it...look how many psych grads there are in just one thread in the club.

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Maybe not 100K but the number of new grads expecting to make even 50K/annually is astounding.

thispego
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
My best friends wife expected to make 100k a year within 3 years of graduating UTSA with an English degree.

were you able to keep from laughing when she told you that?

11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I was accepted at OU for the Spring semester as a transfer student to School of Meteorology and Geography

My nephew is there now on a fellowship.

Fucking kid is going to graduate at 25 with his PHD.

Where did I go wrong?

thispego
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe not 100K but the number of new grads expecting to make even 50K/annually is astounding.

They're in for a rude awakening then. I wonder who's been lying to these kids?

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
They're in for a rude awakening then. I wonder who's been lying to these kids?

Seriously. No one is preparing these kids for the real world. They come to me after graduating, turn down a 35K job because they feel their qualified to make at least 50K with a degree and no work experience. Then, 6 months down the road, they contact me back asking if the 35K job is still available. Get real.

thispego
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Seriously. No one is preparing these kids for the real world. They come to me after graduating, turn down a 35K job because they feel their qualified to make at least 50K with a degree and no work experience. Then, 6 months down the road, they contact me back asking if the 35K job is still available. Get real.

Those same kids were probably getting 40k a year from their parents to live on during college :lol

CuckingFunt
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM

It sucks when the prof isn't really dedicated to the idea of teaching. My experience since coming back to school in 2007 has been overall quite good, and most of my classes have really challenged and/or engaged me, but my few bad classes have been with profs who were teaching on the side -- one a psych prof who allowed students in an upper division class submit writing assignments as bulleted points instead of essay format and spent most of her time pimping her own practice, the other an art history prof who was clearly just teaching to pay the bills while he focused on academic/research projects and who (in all three classes I had to take from him) used Scantron tests. And, for the record, multiple choice in an art history class is beyond ridiculous.

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Those same kids were probably getting 40k a year from their parents to live on during college :lol

It's a hard knock life, let me tell you.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
were you able to keep from laughing when she told you that?

Don't remember exactly what I said but I'm pretty sure I was an asshole and told her she was out of her mind in some way shape or form. She didn't believe me but I think she does now that she's been in the workforce for quite some time.

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 05:18 PM

I fucking told you I was going to be a male whore for any less than 50k a year. I'm not fucking cheap Katy. When I asked you if it was still available I was drunk.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Yes...I hate college towns. And yes I don't want to be around white conservatives..and I'm moving to Norman to go to the school. I'm not gonna live there for more than the required time to get my degree. You act like I'm going to spend the rest of my life there.

Spam
11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes...I hate college towns. And yes I don't want to be around white conservatives..and I'm moving to Norman to go to the school. I'm not gonna live there for more than the required time to get my degree. You act like I'm going to spend the rest of my life there.

We hope not either.
Sincerely,
Citizens of Norman

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 05:46 PM
I fucking told you I was going to be a male whore for any less than 50k a year. I'm not fucking cheap Katy. When I asked you if it was still available I was drunk.

This is bullshit. I'm not a pimp.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM

I vaguely remember you dropping/flunking classes and just barely staying eligible for financial aid. Do you REALLY think you are gonna get into a Division I masters program?

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM

:wow not all us kids are dumb. 35K would work for me! Not sure what my price is though for having a degree in accounting, and having about a year and half of accounts payable experience, also reconciliations, and HR stuff.

The Reckoning
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
take your not-trying-at-all GPA at UTSA and subtract it by a whole point. thats your busting-my-ass GPA at UT.

Jekka
11-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Where did I say that you were spending forever there? I'm just questioning why OU is so special that you'd want to put up with it for a history MA. The only reason to go there out-of-state over any other more prestigious/better ranking program is if you want to live in Norman, specifically do history of the western US, or if something better isn't an option.

SpursWoman
11-16-2009, 07:02 PM
:wow not all us kids are dumb. 35K would work for me! Not sure what my price is though for having a degree in accounting, and having about a year and half of accounts payable experience, also reconciliations, and HR stuff.

A/P clerk = $8-10/hour. A fresh accounting graduate with minimal experience could expect around $24-$30K, depending on where you go and what you'd be doing.

This is defintely a career path that's going to require a Master's and/or CPA to make *good* money. I do very well on 15-20 years of experience, but have been considering going back for the Master's at least, because experience only gets you so far, too. Trust me on this one. :lol

Any suggestions on where I can get that, seeing that apparently UTSA is so bad? University of Phoenix online? :lol

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
A/P clerk = $8-10/hour. A fresh accounting graduate with minimal experience could expect around $24-$30K, depending on where you go and what you'd be doing.

This is defintely a career path that's going to require a Master's and/or CPA to make *good* money. I do very well on 15-20 years of experience, but have been considering going back for the Master's at least, because experience only gets you so far, too. Trust me on this one. :lol

Any suggestions on where I can get that, seeing that apparently UTSA is so bad? University of Phoenix online? :lol

Just curious SW. I know you are bright. Why can't you go straight for your CPA? Is it work experience directly under a CPA you are missing? I don't think there is any doubt you could do the test prep and study up and pass the test. Even if you had to extensively review/cram stuff you don't know now it seems that would be cheaper/easier than going for a masters and STILL having to take the CPA exam.

DPG21920
11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Have not read through the entire thread, but there is a huge difference in going to school and learning.

The fact you have not cracked a book and that others form study groups should tell you something about yourself. If you want to learn, put in the work. If you want a piece of paper, you are wasting money.

DPG21920
11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
School is "easy" for those who work hard. By easy, I don't mean you don't learn. I mean you get something out of it and you don't have to worry about grades (or at least flunking) because you are learning and working hard.

Death In June
11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
take your not-trying-at-all GPA at UTSA and subtract it by a whole point. thats your busting-my-ass GPA at UT.Again, this is total shit. I'm at a pharmacy school at Tech, and while it's definitely more challenging because of the amount of classes you're expected to take, the individual biochem, physiology, neuroscience, immunology professors etc were just as good/tough at UTSA.

11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I never had to work hard in college. Only time I went to class was when it was deemed mandatory.

For some people, it just comes naturally.

A big part of college is learning how to socialize and interact with other people.

SpursWoman
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Just curious SW. I know you are bright. Why can't you go straight for your CPA? Is it work experience directly under a CPA you are missing? I don't think there is any doubt you could do the test prep and study up and pass the test. Even if you had to extensively review/cram stuff you don't know now it seems that would be cheaper/easier than going for a masters and STILL having to take the CPA exam.

They changed the requirements to needing 150 credit hours to sit for the exam after I graduated (w/129) ... when I applied to take the last exam I could take to get grandfathered in with less than 150, I was denied because I was short 9 IT hours ... which they had also changed after I graduated. Bastards. :lol

So, I need 21 hours to sit for the exam, and 33 for a Master's. I've got work experience many, many times over. But first I have to take the GMAT. Oh wait ... maybe at UTSA I wouldn't have to. :lol

tp2021
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
They don't call them BS degrees for nothin

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Where did I say that you were spending forever there? I'm just questioning why OU is so special that you'd want to put up with it for a history MA. The only reason to go there out-of-state over any other more prestigious/better ranking program is if you want to live in Norman, specifically do history of the western US, or if something better isn't an option.

It's for the History program.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I vaguely remember you dropping/flunking classes and just barely staying eligible for financial aid. Do you REALLY think you are gonna get into a Division I masters program?

You must be remembering the wrong person, because I've never been barely eligible for financial aid or dropping any classes or flunking. In fact in my last four semesters of college I made the honor roll 3 out of 4 times, which I didn't even know they had in college.

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
They changed the requirements to needing 150 credit hours to sit for the exam after I graduated (w/129) ... when I applied to take the last exam I could take to get grandfathered in with less than 150, I was denied because I was short 9 IT hours ... which they had also changed after I graduated. Bastards. :lol

So, I need 21 hours to sit for the exam, and 33 for a Master's. I've got work experience many, many times over. But first I have to take the GMAT. Oh wait ... maybe at UTSA I wouldn't have to. :lol

Well, since UTSA sucks so bad :lol just pick up your 21 hours at Phoenix while you are waiting up for the kids to get home from their hot dates and then go kick ass on the CPA exam...I know you can do it.

ashbeeigh
11-16-2009, 08:54 PM

I don't know if it's possible to just take the one year CPA route there, but TLU does have a CPA program and they're supposed to have a great business program (Economics kicked my butt the one semester I took it).

CosmicCowboy
11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
You must be remembering the wrong person, because I've never been barely eligible for financial aid or dropping any classes or flunking. In fact in my last four semesters of college I made the honor roll 3 out of 4 times, which I didn't even know they had in college.

Well, I vaguely remember you making a passionate post about how your education was about to be stopped because of a mix up on your financial aid and then borrowing several hundred dollars from JimCS to be repaid "as soon as you got your check" and then bragging on your myspace page about the cool new guitar you bought.

If that is not accurate please feel free to correct me.

Hornets1
11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Whenever you start college, then stop for a couple of years and wk 1-2 jobs, it really puts a lot in perspective, and makes college easier when you go back, b/c you HAVE to do certain stuff at wk, w/ school, it seems optional at first(you do it if you want good grades), but when you get in the real working world, it teaches you that responsibility and school becomes easy.

I went to college at LSU for 2 years, did decent and realized I needed a break.

Then I went to work as an office manager for a doctor's office during the day, and a soux chef at night. I did that for 2 years before I went back to LSU and finished in only 1 1/2 year (3 1/2 total for my bachelor's).

Now, I'm in grad school at Tulane and will get my masters in business management in June. Point being, time off from college can be a really good thing for some people.

thispego
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, I vaguely remember you making a passionate post about how your education was about to be stopped because of a mix up on your financial aid and then borrowing several hundred dollars from JimCS to be repaid "as soon as you got your check" and then bragging on your myspace page about the cool new guitar you bought.

That's how I remember it :lol

That was the beginning and end of Spurstalk savings and loan.

ploto
11-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a niece with all A's in her Master's Level program at UTSA who made B's and C's in a public high school. Go figure.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2009, 09:28 PM

The mix up had nothing to do with my grades or eligibility.

thispego
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM
but it was a mix up you were responsible for

katyon6th
11-16-2009, 09:32 PM
That mix up was classic Spurstalk.

thispego
11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
damn... i had nothing to do with it and it pissed me off. What if I ever needed to borrow money from someone on spurstalk? never gonna happen now.

spursfan09
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM

I have not looked into it, but I heard the MBA program is very good at UTSA. It ranks up there.... Found this article:

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2009/11/businesswk09.html

By Wendy Frost
Director of Communications, College of Business

(Nov. 6, 2009)--The UTSA College of Business was ranked as one of the top part-time M.B.A. programs in the nation by BusinessWeek in its biennial business school rankings edition released today. Nationally, the UTSA College of Business part-time M.B.A. program is ranked 28th. This is the second consecutive year that the UTSA College of Business has been ranked by BusinessWeek.

"The M.B.A. is our signature program in the college, and we are honored to once again be included in the BusinessWeek rankings," said Lynda de la Vina, dean of the UTSA College of Business. "This ranking further validates the strength and quality of our M.B.A. program. What is most impressive is that we were ranked highest in the categories based on student satisfaction and academic quality."

The UTSA College of Business ranked 10th in the student satisfaction category and received top marks for its teaching quality, caliber of classmates and curriculum. More than 99 schools participated in this year's ranking.

BusinessWeek ranked the top five part-time M.B.A. programs in six geographic regions. Three measures were used to compile the rankings. First, a student survey was sent to part-time M.B.A. students to measure general student satisfaction. Then, academic quality was assessed based on six equally weighted measures: average GMAT score, average work experience, percentage of tenured faculty teaching in the program, average class size, number of business electives available to part-time M.B.A. students and the program's completion rate. Finally, post-M.B.A. outcomes such as advancement in current position, new job and attainment of career goals were determined based on survey responses.

Schools included in the southwest regional ranking were Rice University, Southern Methodist University, University of Texas at Dallas, University of Texas at San Antonio and University of Texas at Austin.

The UTSA College of Business offers a portfolio of 26 graduate business programs that are known for their high quality and affordability including the M.B.A., M.B.A. International, Noon M.B.A., Online M.B.A. and Executive M.B.A. Enrolling more than 550 graduate students, the UTSA College of Business student body is diverse with 46 percent of students attending part time, 38 percent women, and 25 percent Hispanics.

Nationally ranked and recognized the College of Business has also been named the No. 1 M.B.A. program in the nation for Hispanics by Hispanic Business and one of the top 10 M.B.A. programs for minorities by the Princeton Review for the past five years.

MsMcGillyCutty
11-16-2009, 11:50 PM
So from what I can gather I may as well prepare for 6-8 yrs of college for each of my daughters!?!? A 4yr degree just won't cut it these days? My oldest also mentioned she is seriously thinking about the military, Air Force, but I'm still pushing college big time. While my recent hospital stays have opened my eyes to the many opportunities in the medical field. I was asking every nurse and tech questions all the time.

The medical field pays very well and there are many fields to chose from. I made well over 40K when I received my nursing degree.

jag
11-17-2009, 12:26 AM
I never had to work hard in college. Only time I went to class was when it was deemed mandatory.

A big part of college is learning how to socialize and interact with other people.

Well what was your major??

Jekka
11-17-2009, 12:33 AM

My dad said, "The real reason that I'm helping you out some with your college loans is that you have to learn how to bullshit. You can learn all of the other stuff on your own from books, but you need college to really learn how to bullshit." A lesson well-learned indeed.

11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Well what was your major??

Business, Marketing and Logistics Management

lebomb
11-17-2009, 01:13 AM
I have a niece with all A's in her Master's Level program at UTSA who made B's and C's in a public high school. Go figure.

Its called getting focused :rolleyes My best friend made C's in a public high school and graduated with A's (honors) ............Bachelors from St. Marys and the same ...........Masters from OLLU. So your point being????

Lebowski Brickowski
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
What do they call the guy that graduates at the bottom of his class at medical school?

CosmicCowboy
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
What do they call the guy that graduates at the bottom of his class at medical school?

Professor

katyon6th
11-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Doctor

Das Texan
11-17-2009, 10:19 AM

That was absolutely epic.

rjv
11-17-2009, 10:20 AM

i sure wish diff eq, quantum physics and vector calculus had come natural to me !

katyon6th
11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
i sure wish diff eq, quantum physics and vector calculus had come natural to me !

You should've majored in Business and Marketing.

rjv
11-17-2009, 10:27 AM

i would suck in the business world. the closest i ever got to considering that as a possibility was when i briefly entertained the notion of actuarial studies.

katyon6th
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
i would suck in the business world. the closest i ever got to considering that as a possibility was when i briefly entertained the notion of actuarial studies.

Well, it was sarcasm. But actuarial studies? Still so many numbers. You wouldn't have gotten away from the quantum and vector shit.

rjv
11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, it was sarcasm. But actuarial studies? Still so many numbers. You wouldn't have gotten away from the quantum and vector shit.

no i would not have and so much probability as well. i'm far better with algorithms.

anyway, i was lucky enough to find a field that marries the disciplines of physics and medicine so it all worked out.

spursfan09
11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Accounting is not exactly considered "easy"

baseline bum
11-17-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't think quantum mechanics comes naturally to anyone.

jag
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Business, Marketing and Logistics Management

That's why college was easy.

katyon6th
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Accounting is not exactly considered "easy"

I never said it was or wasn't easy. What are you referring to?

jag
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Never had to take quantum phys. but Diff E and multivariable calc sucked balls.

I assume you were a ME, considering you had to take quantum physics?

Sitting in class and memorizing can come "natural" to anyone depending on how interested they are in the material. Problem solving and lateral thinking are a completely different issue.

rjv
11-17-2009, 11:31 AM

I assume you were a ME, considering you had to take quantum physics?

Sitting in class and memorizing can come "natural" to anyone depending on how interested they are in the material. Problem solving and lateral thinking are a completely different issue.

actually i was a math/philosophy double major. when i realized i was going to try to get into a graduate program for medical physics i had to go back and take certain upper level physics courses as well as C+ programming.

jag
11-17-2009, 11:37 AM
actually i was a math/philosophy double major. when i realized i was going to try to get into a graduate program for medical physics i had to go back and take certain upper level physics courses as well as C+ programming.

oh ok that makes sense...upper level physics can be interesting, but i'd rather do higher math than physics.

baseline bum
11-17-2009, 11:41 AM

D'oh, those were by far my two favorite lower-division classes. I thought single-variable calc was boring (it's much better when you redo it in real analysis), but multivariable was awesome because you had to think geometrically for so many of the topics.

lebomb
11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
All I know is that my degree wasnt a cake walk...........Pulling all nighters to do drawings free hand or on the computer, doing environmental control system calculations and drawings.........heating/cooling/water systems. Doing renderings free hand and on the computer, building scale models by hand. Fuck that...............It wasnt easy at all. So if you took some pussy assed courses at Utsa, dont go calling everything easy. I know my former wife was a EE major and she would stay up late many a night to do only 3 or 4 mathematics problems, I remember her doing ONE problem and it taking a sheet and a half to solve..................Calculus 4 and Physics 3 and 4. She still graduated with honors.

jag
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
D'oh, those were by far my two favorite lower-division classes. I thought single-variable calc was boring (it's much better when you redo it in real analysis), but multivariable was awesome because you had to think geometrically for so many of the topics.

Multivariable made more sense cause you could visualize everything...and i thought it was actually easier than calc 2, but the professor i had for multivariable made everything so tedious.

Triple integrals are pretty simple...but you do them for long enough and you'll learn to hate it.

katyon6th
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
All this nerd talk is ridiculous. :spin

Fillmoe
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
thats because a psych bachelors degree is about the equivalent of graduating from high school in terms of tough....

Fillmoe
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
and it took you over 10 years to get it.... you sir are an idiot....

baseline bum
11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Multivariable made more sense cause you could visualize everything...and i thought it was actually easier than calc 2, but the professor i had for multivariable made everything so tedious.

Triple integrals are pretty simple...but you do them for long enough and you'll learn to hate it.

Any kind of integration is hard (in closed form). All you can really do if you're trying to integrate in closed form is play with the function being integrated and the differential(s), and see if you can write their product in some special form that has been solved before. Thankfully, it can be done pretty easily numerically using things like Simpson's method, Monte Carlo methods, Romberg Integration, etc.