PDA

View Full Version : Stoops to Notre Dame?

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
If athletic director Jack Swarbrick decides Weis' Notre Dame career is over after his fifth season, a source said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix to replace him. The source said Stoops has told confidants he would be interested in talking to the Irish.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1885241,CST-SPT-nd15.article

It could work.

samikeyp
11-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Heard that on the radio up here as well. He's a midwest guy and would be a good choice...FWIW I still think they are going to get Brian Kelly.

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Stoops is Catholic, too, I heard. Could happen. I hope this doesn't happen. It could be pretty big.

MajorMike
11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Not likely. darth visor has been offered every job from the Florida Gators to the Cleveland Browns and stayed. He coaches uo to a possible 9-4 record and birth in the Cotton Bowl for the 'most disappointing season ever' in uo football and every toothless white trailor paerk trash resident in the state is still masterbating to pictures of him.

What about if Coach Kirk goes to ND you think darth visor would go to his alma mater to coach?

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Why would Stoops go to the Hawkeyes? That's a huge downgrade from OU. Going to ND might actually make him more money than staying at OU.

I'm probably in the moniroty, but I think Stoops would be better for ND than Kelly.

MajorMike
11-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Kirk has been one of the top paid coaches for years at Iowa. They are willing to pay. They have had BCS games (or at least one, right?). Its his school. I think it is entirely possible; not very feasible, but still.

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
2003 feels like forever ago since that loss in the Orange Bowl.

I think Stoops can get the most money possible at ND. He might just be selling himself to ND so he can scare the OU AD to give him even more money.

pkbpkb81
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Not likely. darth visor has been offered every job from the Florida Gators to the Cleveland Browns and stayed. He coaches uo to a possible 9-4 record and birth in the Cotton Bowl for the 'most disappointing season ever' in uo football and every toothless white trailor paerk trash resident in the state is still masterbating to pictures of him.

What about if Coach Kirk goes to ND you think darth visor would go to his alma mater to coach?

he turned down Iowa to come to OU in the 1st place...in all honest i belive the only way he leaves OU is for the nyg or cowboys also i don't belive his ego will let him leave before he has more nc that Bud or Barry which means he needs 3 more and at this rate it won't happen and he will never leave

to your point that people still love him a lot do but I know more than few that give a nice chunck of change to the school that are tired of his act....to me it is much ado about nothing if he leaves than i am sure we will get someone good it is still a top job and if he stay's he wins 10 to 11 games almost every year and atleast we have a shot at a nc in most years teams like osu would love just to have the shot.

pkbpkb81
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
2003 feels like forever ago since that loss in the Orange Bowl.

I think Stoops can get the most money possible at ND. He might just be selling himself to ND so he can scare the OU AD to give him even more money.

he is already getting like 10 mill a year after bounes and stuff he needs another nc to get more....hey if he did leave i would like to know who would be on the OU short list to replace him it would probly be Mike Stoops but going outside the box do you thaink Will M. down there in austin would come up north instead of waiting a few more years till mack leaves for the sunset? And how would most OU fans react to a texas guy getting the gig?

any one old enough to rember how was coach Royal 1st treated when he got to austin?

Whisky Dog
11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I think ou should fire stoops and bring back schnellenberger or blake.

pkbpkb81
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I think ou should fire stoops and bring back schnellenberger or blake.

that gets an lol

ol schnellenberger could have been ok if he wan't drinking on the job and blake is a rec sob but not a good head coach

TFloss32
11-16-2009, 06:04 PM
As a Longhorn fan, I would love to see Stoops leave OU. He hasn't been beating or out-recruiting Texas in the past couple of years, but I'd still love to see him gone. He's too good to be the coach of your biggest rival.

That would be a HUGE hire for Notre Dame. Jon Gruden's name has been tossed around a bunch as well. Does anyone think Weis stays?

samikeyp
11-16-2009, 06:12 PM
As a Longhorn fan, I would love to see Stoops leave OU. He hasn't been beating or out-recruiting Texas in the past couple of years, but I'd still love to see him gone. He's too good to be the coach of your biggest rival.

That would be a HUGE hire for Notre Dame. Jon Gruden's name has been tossed around a bunch as well. Does anyone think Weis stays?

I think Weis is gone. Even if he wins his last 2 and the bowl game. If ND can get Stoops or someone like him...they will. Gruden just signed an extension with ESPN but that probably includes an out clause for certain jobs. I still think its Brian Kelly who will end up there.

TFloss32
11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I think Weis is gone. Even if he wins his last 2 and the bowl game. If ND can get Stoops or someone like him...they will. Gruden just signed an extension with ESPN but that probably includes an out clause for certain jobs. I still think its Brian Kelly who will end up there.

If Brian Kelly is looking for a more glamorous job...this would be the year to take it. His stock as a coach can't get any higher than it is now. Have you heard his name in the conversation?

He would be the sexy pick (just like Rodriguez was with Michigan). Kelly seems to win wherever he goes.

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
If Brian Kelly is looking for a more glamorous job...this would be the year to take it. His stock as a coach can't get any higher than it is now. Have you heard his name in the conversation?

He would be the sexy pick (just like Rodriguez was with Michigan). Kelly seems to win wherever he goes.

Consensus from everywhere you can read or on TV seems to be that Kelly is the front runner and best pick.

I think the Sexy pick for UM in 2007/2008 was Les Miles.

TFloss32
11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Consensus from everywhere you can read or on TV seems to be that Kelly is the front runner and best pick.

I think the Sexy pick for UM in 2007/2008 was Les Miles.

I guess you could say that. IMO, he made a great decision by not going there. You always ask for trouble if you decide to coach at your alma mater (see Charlie Weis).

I know he already had that new LSU contract in place and would've had to pay the school over a million of his own money to leave.

Plus, Rodriguez was coming off of that Fiesta Bowl upset of Oklahoma and Michigan fans were convinced that he would bring Terrelle Pryor with him because of the offense he ran at West Virginia.

mookie2001
11-16-2009, 09:23 PM
notre dame is where coaches go to die

pkbpkb81
11-16-2009, 09:29 PM
If stoops goes i want Kelly have you seen what he has done with a back up qb

pkbpkb81
11-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I guess you could say that. IMO, he made a great decision by not going there. You always ask for trouble if you decide to coach at your alma mater (see Charlie Weis).

I know he already had that new LSU contract in place and would've had to pay the school over a million of his own money to leave.

Plus, Rodriguez was coming off of that Fiesta Bowl upset of Oklahoma and Michigan fans were convinced that he would bring Terrelle Pryor with him because of the offense he ran at West Virginia.

rod left before they beat OU...it was that year but he left before the bowl game

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
What kind of offense does Kelly run?

coyotes_geek
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM
OU is a better job than ND. Why would Stoops want to take a step backwards?

TFloss32
11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
rod left before they beat OU...it was that year but he left before the bowl game

You know what I mean, just a technicality...it was his team and his offense. I just remember the talk about how Rodriguez and Pryor were going to revive the Michigan program. It couldn't have worked out any worse if you ask me. I think Rodriguez gets one more year.

OU is a better job than ND. Why would Stoops want to take a step backwards?

OU is a waaaay better job. Notre Dame is like the Holy Grail of football in some coaches eyes, though. I presume many coaches around the country would take that job in a heartbeat regardless of how good or bad the program is.

lebomb
11-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Notre Dame is like the Holy Grail of football in some coaches eyes, though.

Whomever turns that program around.............."IF" it can be turned around........would be the equivalent of a GOD! And the good thing is, ND can only go up.......so that coaching position looks very appealing.

rjv
11-17-2009, 10:32 AM
i would think the irish would have to consider harbaugh (can you see him coaching the irish against michigan ?)

lebomb
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
i would think the irish would have to consider harbaugh (can you see him coaching the irish against michigan ?)

I dont see Harbaugh leaving Stanford for ND. It would be cool though.:toast

MajorMike
11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Coaches take a step back for their own reasons. Holtz and Spurrier could have both gotten any job they wanted, but both to SC??

And look at Fran when he took a step down to atm from Bama.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Coaches take a step back for their own reasons. Holtz and Spurrier could have both gotten any job they wanted, but both to SC??

And look at Fran when he took a step down to atm from Bama.

IMO this is a little different. He might be taking a step down as far as where the program is at, but he'll have the same high expectations at Notre Dame as he will at OU. Also, like Weis, he won't have all the time in the world. From what it looks like, Weis will be fired after only one year of having a team with only his recruits (at this point though, Weis needs to go, his play calling has been horrible and a team as talented as ND is shouldn't be 6-4 with that weak ass schedule). ND is expecting results quickly, not a long term rebuilding process.

mookie2001
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
1. notre dame plays a pretty salty schedule
2. theyre not that talented

samikeyp
11-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I dont see Harbaugh leaving Stanford for ND. It would be cool though.:toast

There are rumblings starting up here at the moment for Harbaugh to come back to his alma mater. If U-M gets blown out by Ohio State, those rumblings will get very loud.

IronMexican
11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
There are rumblings starting up here at the moment for Harbaugh to come back to his alma mater. If U-M gets blown out by Ohio State, those rumblings will get very loud.

Be pretty funny if it happened. No way after Rodriguez took about 2 years just to implement his spread offense. Forcier would probably be as pissed as Mallet.

Besides, I want Harbaugh in the Silver and Black.