PDA

View Full Version : How healthy are Tim's knees?

lotr1trekkie
11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
The 760 "morons in the morning" gave Tim about 18 months before he would be sailing into the sunset--- earning a well deserved 20 million a year. Are his knees really that bad?

Dex
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
http://thematadorsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/doh.jpg

Mel_13
11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Knees or not, Tim's contract expires at the end of the 2012 season. That could be anytime between May and (hopefully) June 2012, which would be about...18-20 months from now. And it's pretty well determined that Tim won't be signing another contract.

That being said, Tim's knees are plagued by a chronic injury that will be a question mark for the rest of his career. The soreness is going to be there, and get worse with more wear. The question is how effective he'll be throughout, but Tim has always proven to find a way.

30-32 months from now

Dex
11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
30-32 months from now

Math Fail. :( Braindead today.

Oh well, at least that means more Duncan.

Mel_13
11-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Math Fail. :( Braindead today.

Oh well, at least that means more Duncan.

More Duncan is a good thing.

duncan228
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
His knees are chronic. The left one, the one he's wearing the brace on, is the one he had surgery on in 2000. It's been bothering him for a few years. The right one is the tendonosis that was diagnosed last season (February).

There hasn't been anything released that there's anything to do to help besides the brace and the change in his routine he implemented this summer. I assume we'll see him sit one game of some, or all, back-to-backs this season to help keep some wear off his knees.

Duncan's knee problems are here to stay. As long as he doesn't suffer furthur injury I expect he'll retire at the end of this contract in 2012. I don't see him playing longer for any reason.

duncan228
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
More Duncan is a good thing.

Always. :)

duncan228
11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Duncan's well deserved remaining salary:

'09-'10: $22,183,220
'10-'11: $18,835,381
'11-'12: $21,300,000

duncan228
11-16-2009, 09:24 PM
One more quick thought...

Duncan wore a sleeve over the brace in the Thunder game and I thought he moved better than he had without the sleeve. The three dunks were a pretty good sign that he could move. :lol

Maybe he's settling in playing with the brace. I had hoped someone would ask him about it after the game but they focused on his ankle and didn't mention the knee.

Ice009
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
One more quick thought...

Duncan wore a sleeve over the brace in the Thunder game and I thought he moved better than he had without the sleeve. The three dunks were a pretty good sign that he could move. :lol

Maybe he's settling in playing with the brace. I had hoped someone would ask him about it after the game but they focused on his ankle and didn't mention the knee.

Hey Duncan228 I think Duncan is playing pretty well so far. To me he looks pretty good.

Maybe Harlemheat, Yourself and I are the only people on the message board that aren't saying Tim is playing awful.

Tim is a slow starter and I think he'll be playing a lot better pretty soon once he gets into form. I just think he's not in form yet, but seems to be in pretty good shape. What do you think?

George Hill and Tim are the only two players I was happy with last game. Everyone else was bad in that Thunder game.

TIMMYD!
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Duncan228 I think Duncan is playing pretty well so far. To me he looks pretty good.

Maybe Harlemheat, Yourself and I are the only people on the message board that aren't saying Tim is playing awful.

Tim is a slow starter and I think he'll be playing a lot better pretty soon once he gets into form. I just think he's not in form yet, but seems to be in pretty good shape. What do you think?

George Hill and Tim are the only two players I was happy with last game. Everyone else was bad in that Thunder game.

+1
Tim has only been taking it easy, he can bring it up if he wants to (see Chicago game). Although BSPN analysts will say he isn't the same anymore.

sasffl
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I just hope Tim can stay healthy into playoffs.Leave second game of b2b to Mahinmi

duncan228
11-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Duncan looks better than I expected him to at this point. He's a solid month behind in court work, throw in the brace and then the ankle and I think he looks fine.

Duncan is starting even slower than usual, and it's being done on purpose. The plan is to keep him as fresh and healthy as possible so he doesn't fade like he did last season after the strong start. He may not be the player he was in his 20's, but he's still one of the best and, barring injury, I expect to see him rise as always for the Playoffs.

Ice009
11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
+1
Tim has only been taking it easy, he can bring it up if he wants to (see Chicago game). Although BSPN analysts will say he isn't the same anymore.

ESPN are retards.

They've all got their heads up Kobe and Lebron's ass to know what is going on.

Tim always starts off slow, he started his work outs late this off season, plus the team has lots of new players. He is just not in form yet.

I just hope Tim can stay healthy into playoffs.Leave second game of b2b to Mahinmi

Come on man Mahinimi is not going to fill in for Tim Duncan. He's not even good enough to make Pop give him a few minutes ahead of Finley at PF.

td4mvp21
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
He probably will only play for 2 or 3 more seasons :depressed I don't know what I'm going to do when he retires

Flux451
11-16-2009, 10:38 PM
pretty healthy

Fabbs
11-17-2009, 12:20 AM
There hasn't been anything released that there's anything to do to help besides the brace and the change in his routine he implemented this summer. I assume we'll see him sit one game of some, or all, back-to-backs this season to help keep some wear off his knees.
Poops already had Tim play the 2nd of B2Bs twice. :frying:
Both losses. :toast

duncan228
11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
My bad, I'm used to putting the 'or all' in about back-to-backs from talking about it all summer.

I think we will see Duncan out some of them as the season wears on.

Fabbs
11-17-2009, 12:47 AM
The fry pan hit was not intended for you Duncan228 but rather Pooped who has already used Tim for 34 and 35 minutes in the two back end losses.

Pat Riley had a really good comment on how he treated Kareem and comparing how Duncan could be treated to extend his Championships and playing age limit. The link is down but i still have the quotes somewhere.
But we don't have Pat Riles. T_Park even knows that.

tlongII
11-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Duncan's a great player, but he's clearly in decline now. I don't think he'll be very effective come playoff time.

Mr.Robinson
11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Tim is not trying out there. I guarantee he is healthier than he plays. No need to waste him all year. Spurs will be around a 6th seed anyway. Duncan will start rolling along by playoff time. Last season he got banged up by playoff time. He still had a great series besides the 4pt game or whatever he had. Fake Spurs fans are going crazy.

Fabbs
11-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Duncan's a great player, but he's clearly in decline now. I don't think he'll be very effective come playoff time.
Here's the interview with Pat Riles re Duncans minutes and how he handled Kareems minutes. The link is now down.
If only we could have gotten/could still get Pat Riles. :king

Jeff McDonald: Duncan as Kareem?
MIAMI -- Pat Riley has coached Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Pat Riley has also coached Shaquille O'Neal. Good news for Spurs fans: Pat Riley says Tim Duncan reminds him of the former, and not the latter.

"Duncan reminds me a lot of Kareem," Riley, the Miami Heat coach, said after this morning's shootaround. "Kareem wasn't a physical center, he was a finesse center. And he played until he was 41 years old."

More than that, Jabbar remained one of the league's most dominant players well into his late 30s. In 1986, at age 38, Jabbar averaged 23.4 points per game.

Riley's point: Big men like Duncan and Jabbar, who rely more on their mind and their touch than sheer physical strength and skill, tend to have a longer shelf life in the NBA.

Meanwhile, players whose main strength is their strength -- like O'Neal -- often begin to show their age much sooner. O'Neal's body has begun to betray him the past couple seasons. At age 34, he is obviously on the downslope of his Hall-of-Fame career. This preseason, O'Neal has been plagued with a strained calf muscle. (He's expected to play in tonight's game after sitting out the previous two).

But back to Kareem ...

"I didn't start coaching Kareem until he was 32 years old," Riley said. "And he played nine more years after that. And he won four more championships after that."

Riley says he wouldn't be surprised if Duncan accomplished something similar, in terms of both success and longevity. Spurs fans can only hope he's right.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...onald_d_1.html

raspsa
11-17-2009, 02:10 AM
He probably will only play for 2 or 3 more seasons :depressed I don't know what I'm going to do when he retires

The ancient Mayans obviously factoring in Timmy's retirement in 2012. it would be the end of the world for Spurs fans.. :lol

duhoh
11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
more timmeh!

SA210
11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
He's just lazy and isn't hungry anymore. Those blocks the other day were a huge shock. But again, it was with other teammates assisting him.

SA210
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Tim is not trying out there. I guarantee he is healthier than he plays.

ffadicted
11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Tim could play for as long as Kareem (because of his style of play), that's not the problem. The problem is his knees (obviously), and the fact that they probably won't hold up.

We should get some help from the phoenix athletic trainers lol

xtremesteven33
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Kareem had a DAMN good team around him though. Timmy cant win anymore titles by himself. He needs 2-3 allstars like Kareem had in Magic/Worthy and damn good role players....