PDA

View Full Version : Should Pop Give Mahinmi A Shot?

VI_Massive
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I didn't get to see much Summer League or preseason. Did he look so bad that doesn't even warrant minor playing time?

My take on Ratliff is that we pretty much know what we have with him, and wouldn't it make sense to activate Ian for maybe 2 weeks and give him some minutes to see where he's at?

Is he dogging it in practice or not working hard in other ways such that Pop feels he needs to work harder to earn some PT?

I'm full of questions on this topic because it just doesn't seem clear to me that he doesn't deserve at least a shot to show he's got something. He hasn't played in any regular season games since 07-08. Can the coaches tell enough from practice, preseason, and Summer League that he's not ready?

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
if he cant beat out ratliff, bonner or even blair, then he shouldnt even be on the roster or getting any pt

VI_Massive
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
if he cant beat out ratliff, bonner or even blair, then he should even be on the roster or getting any pt

True. It must be abundantly clear from practice, etc. that he doesn't deserve the playing time.

DPG21920
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah. There really is no hope for Ian on the Spurs. He won't play unless something strange happens.

TIMMYD!
11-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Trade his ass then!

celldweller
11-16-2009, 10:23 PM
With the amount they invested in him the past couple of years, I really hope they do. It would be sad if he signed with another team next year and turns out pretty good.

Sigz
11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Ian is a lost cause...

Actually he never was a cause, just a pre-ejaculatory hype from a bunch of morons.

Budkin
11-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't get it... he kicked ass in Austin. Guess that shows how much lower a tier the D-League is.

Tp9gospursgo
11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
No.

ElNono
11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Closest thing is a flu shot, and it won't be Pop giving it to him...

austN Spur
11-17-2009, 12:38 AM
I think he is going full time to coach POP U. i think its a 10 year degree

dbestpro
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I have no doubt that Ian will be a starter in this league but just not with the Spurs. Why? Pop has just a good track record on letting go of players that become future starters for other teams as he does getting the Spurs to the palyoffs.

AussieFanKurt
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I have no doubt that Ian will be a starter in this league but just not with the Spurs. Why? Pop has just a good track record on letting go of players that become future starters for other teams as he does getting the Spurs to the palyoffs.

I dont think Ian could start for at least a few years if ever
and somehow i doubt he'll be a star

hater
11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
the famous mexican wild bat already has more season on-court minutes than Mahinmi ever will have

Bat: 15 minutes
ian: 0 minutes

DaBears
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Lmao.........

DaBears
11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I really dont see why POP dragged this guy along for so long then really.. It doesnt take long to see a guy has no talent to play this game... Ask Kwamie Brown....(spelling?)

galvatron3000
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
He's 6'11 play him over Bonner just for size and if he truly is worse than Bonner then why is he even on the roster, heck the Fakers kept Walton and he's much better than he was at first and that is saying nothing.

coyotes_geek
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I really dont see why POP dragged this guy along for so long then really.. It doesnt take long to see a guy has no talent to play this game... Ask Kwamie Brown....(spelling?)

Because 1st round picks get guaranteed multi-year contracts.

PDXSpursFan
11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Ian sucks period.
</thread>

beachwood
11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I didn't get to see much Summer League or preseason. Did he look so bad that doesn't even warrant minor playing time?

My take on Ratliff is that we pretty much know what we have with him, and wouldn't it make sense to activate Ian for maybe 2 weeks and give him some minutes to see where he's at?

Is he dogging it in practice or not working hard in other ways such that Pop feels he needs to work harder to earn some PT?

I'm full of questions on this topic because it just doesn't seem clear to me that he doesn't deserve at least a shot to show he's got something. He hasn't played in any regular season games since 07-08. Can the coaches tell enough from practice, preseason, and Summer League that he's not ready?

Mahinmi looked really bad at the start of SL and improved a bit game by game. He was just tall, but had no strength or coordination.

I'm thinking the reason he hasn't gotten any playing time is because he hasn't deserved any. If he wasn't that good in SL, playing against other rookies and longshots, how is he going to fare playing against the best players in the world?

wildbill2u
11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
They oughta play him just so the Mahiniacs get a good look at what they are slobbering over.

barbacoataco
11-18-2009, 02:17 AM
You'd think they would give him a little playing time before giving up on him. He could alternate with Ratliff as the 5th big.

mathbzh
11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
I don't know if Pop should give him a shot. To be honest I don't care because Ian has a long way before he can help an NBA team, let alone a contender.
But I wonder if they took the correct approach with Ian (of course injuries didn't help).
The decision to let him play in France may not have been the best... we are not really known for our fundamentally sounds bigs. Maybe that is because we can't teach them properly. Then to send him to the Toros... with is athleticism alone he can dominate all the scrubs playing in the D-League.
If the Spurs believed he had some talent (and I think he has some... or at least he has all the tools), maybe a Bynum/Jabbar method would have given better results.