PDA

View Full Version : Paul Allen Diagnosed With Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

tlongII
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704431804574540411634392196.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

SEATTLE - Paul Allen, the billionaire investor who co-founded Microsoft Corp., was diagnosed earlier this month with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and is undergoing chemotherapy.

Mr. Allen, whose assets include cable provider Charter Communications, professional sports teams and holdings in numerous technology startups, left Microsoft more than 25 years ago after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, from which he recovered.

In an email sent Monday afternoon to employees of Vulcan Inc., Mr. Allen's Seattle-based investment firm, Vulcan CEO Jody Allen said Mr. Allen's doctors say he has diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.

Ms. Allen, Mr. Allen's sister, said in the email that the diagnosis is "tough news for Paul and the family" but that her brother is "optimistic he can beat" the disease as he did his previous illness.

"Paul is feeling OK and remains upbeat," she said in the email. "He continues to work and he has no plans to change his role at Vulcan. His health comes first, though, and we'll be sure that nothing intrudes on that."

Bill Gates, the Microsoft chairman who co-founded Microsoft with Mr. Allen, said in a statement that he and his wife Melinda Gates "have Paul and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

"Paul is among my closest friends, and I know him to be a strong and resilient individual," Mr. Gates said.

Messrs. Allen and Gates, fellow computer programmers and childhood friends from Seattle, started Microsoft in 1975. While Mr. Gates guided Microsoft to become the world's largest software company, Mr. Allen's tenure at the company was cut short when he left as Microsoft's chief technology officer after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 1983.

Lymphoma is a cancer of the white blood cells and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is a fast-growing form of the disease, according to the Lymphoma Research Foundation. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is the most common of the non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, accounting for up to 30% of newly diagnosed cases, the foundation says.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has a five-year survival rate of about 67.2%, according to the National Cancer Institute.

After his departure from Microsft, Mr. Allen's stake in the company mushroomed into one of the largest fortunes in the world. Forbes magazine ranked him this year as the 32nd wealthiest person, with a net worth of $10.5 billion (Mr. Gates, with a net worth of $40 billion, was number one on the list).

While Mr. Gates devoted himself to Microsoft for most of his professional career, Mr. Allen used his money to pursue a range of interests. He purchased the Seattle Seahawks NFL team and the Portland Trailblazers NBA team, for example. A guitar enthusiast and collector of science fiction memorabilia, Mr. Allen founded adjoining rock and roll and science fiction museums in Seattle. He collects vintage aircraft and owns one of the largest yachts in the world.

Many of Mr. Allen's business investments haven't faired well over the years. One of his largest holdings, Charter, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and key assets of another company, cable hardware provider Digeo Inc. were sold at a loss earlier this year.

Like Mr. Gates, Mr. Allen in recent years has stepped up philanthropic activity. In 2003, he gave $100 million to create the a non-profit medical research organization, the Allen Institute for Brain Science, which has sought to advance neuroscience by mapping gene expression in the mouse brain.

Horrible news. :depressed

noob cake
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Indeed horrible;

Hopefully he'll pour some more $$$ into research funding.

lefty
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
It sucks.

But a lot of non-famous people have the disease.

Fuck the medias

Trimble87
11-17-2009, 01:13 PM
My mom was diagnosed with non-hodgkins about 2 years ago and had to go through a grueling 6 month radiation/chemo treatment. She moved up to North Carolina and had a follow up appointment with the medical team at Duke only to find they mis-diagnosed it to begin with and it was really Hodgkins Lymphoma and she had to go through it all again. She thankfully pulled through the second time no worst for the wear (albeit extreamly pissed at the first doctor.)

Non-Hodgkins is very treatable but I still feel for Allen. It was not a fun experience.

lil_penny
11-17-2009, 01:38 PM
My cousin had this a couple years back.. she's doing great not and I wish allen the best!

xtremesteven33
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
At least its Non Hodgkins...

mogrovejo
11-17-2009, 05:09 PM
At least its Non Hodgkins...

Jesus, why? Hodgkin's lymphoma is generally very easy to cure, the survival rates are in the high 90s.

There are like 30 different types of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas, all of them very different in terms of prognosis. Without knowing which one is it, it's impossible to evaluate the seriousness of the situation. All the best for him.

tlongII
11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Jesus, why? Hodgkin's lymphoma is generally very easy to cure, the survival rates are in the high 90s.

There are like 30 different types of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas, all of them very different in terms of prognosis. Without knowing which one is it, it's impossible to evaluate the seriousness of the situation. All the best for him.

My understanding is that Allen has a very fast-growing form which makes it extremely serious.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Really sucks, I hope he pulls through..

coyotes_geek
11-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Good luck to Paul Allen. Sad news.

mogrovejo
11-17-2009, 07:51 PM
My understanding is that Allen has a very fast-growing form which makes it extremely serious.

I read later it's a Diffuse large B-cell. It depends on the sup-type, but it's good news - while aggressive it responds very well to the chemo and frequent recurrence is much less likely than in others NHLs (the problem with the Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas is that you're never completely cured, rather have periods of remission that last longer or shorter depending on the individual, but progressively shorter for each treatment - until to the point that chemotherapy stops being effective and you have to put your stuff in order. With a DBCL this period can last +30 years though).