PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: For Manu, a last shot

duncan228
11-17-2009, 01:16 AM
For Manu, a last shot (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/For_Manu_a_last_shot.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has lost track of how many rabies shots he has gotten since his encounter with a live bat during the Spurs' Oct. 31 game against the Sacramento Kings at the AT&T Center.

He hasn't forgotten how many more he must endure. After receiving another injection on Monday, the count is down to one final shot, to be administered next week.

Ginobili famously swatted the Mexican freeetail bat out of the air after it twice had interrupted the Spurs-Kings game on Halloween night. After picking the stunned animal from the court, post-swat, he handed it to an usher. Thought to be dead, the bat then was taken outside the arena.

By the time team and arena officials realized the need to have the bat tested for rabies, it could not be found, presumed to have revived and flown away.

The Spurs star then was advised to begin receiving rabies shots to make certain he would not contract the often-fatal disease of the central nervous system.

“Of course, I will (be happy when it's over),” Ginobili said. “It's a different experience. I never thought basketball related to rabies, but in some ways, it does. I don't like getting shots, but it's something I've got to do and leave it behind.”

Ginobili doesn't like sitting on the bench during crunch time in close games, either, but he endured an entire fourth quarter of inactivity in Saturday's 101-98 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder, with coach Gregg Popovich not wanting to risk further injury to Ginobili's sore left hamstring.

“My hamstring feels pretty good,” Ginobili said before Monday's practice. “I've done a lot of treatments the last two days. I think I'm ready, but I've got to convince, as always, Mr. Popovich.

“I didn't even have a shot at trying to convince him (on Saturday night). He just sat me. I never said my hamstring was hurting; never said I wanted to rest. He just thought it was the best option and went for it. He's the one who decides who's in and who's out, so you've just got to do it.”

NEW SCHEDULE: The Spurs' new approach to practice, moving them from mornings to afternoons, includes a new approach to traveling. The team will depart for its game in Dallas on Tuesday afternoon and practice in Dallas after arriving.

Players continue to adjust to the new regimen.

“I don't know how to take it,” said guard George Hill. “I'm still adjusting to the afternoon practices. We'll see how it continues to go. Hopefully, we'll pick up a little better and have a better start to the games, and finish them better, too.”

tp2021
11-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Monroe: For Us, a few more bat stories