PDA

View Full Version : Soldier mom refuses deployment to care for baby

BacktoBasics
11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm not surprised but if that's true she'll probably get the discharge she's looking for. I'm shocked we don't see more and more of these types of tactics what with all the glamorization of the military we see in every other marketing ploy, commercial and advert.

SAVANNAH, Ga. – An Army cook and single mom may face criminal charges after she skipped her deployment flight to Afghanistan because, she said, no one was available to care for her infant son while she was overseas.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, claims she had no choice but to refuse deployment orders because the only family she had to care for her 10-month-old son — her mother — was overwhelmed by the task, already caring for three other relatives with health problems.

Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson's superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care.

"For her it was like, 'I couldn't abandon my child,'" Sussman said. "She was really afraid of what would happen, that if she showed up they would send her to Afghanistan anyway and put her son with child protective services."

Hutchinson, who is from Oakland, Calif., remained confined Monday to the boundaries of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, 10 days after military police arrested her for skipping her unit's flight. No charges have been filed, but a spokesman for the Army post said commanders were investigating.

Kevin Larson, a spokesman for Hunter Army Airfield, said he didn't know what Hutchinson was told by her commanders, but he said the Army would not deploy a single parent who had nobody to care for his or her child.

"I don't know what transpired and the investigation will get to the bottom of it," Larson said. "If she would have come to the deployment terminal with her child, there's no question she would not have been deployed."

Hutchinson's son, Kamani, was placed into custody overnight with a daycare provider on the Army post after she was arrested and jailed briefly, Larson said. Hutchinson's mother picked up the child a week ago and took him back to her home in California.

Hutchinson, who's assigned to the 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division, joined the Army in 2007 and had no previous deployments, Sussman said. She said Hutchinson is no longer in a relationship with the father.

The Army requires all single-parent soldiers to submit a care plan for dependent children before they can deploy to a combat zone.

Hutchinson had such a plan — her mother, Angelique Hughes, had agreed to care for the boy. Hughes said Monday she kept the boy for about two weeks in October before deciding she couldn't keep him for a full year.

Hughes said she's already having to care for her ailing mother and sister, as well as a daughter with special needs. She also runs a daycare center at her home, keeping about 14 children during the day.

"This is an infant, and they require 24-hour care," Hughes said. "It was very, very stressful, just too much for me to deal with."

Hughes said she returned Kamani to his mother in Georgia a few days before her scheduled deployment Nov. 5.

She said they told her daughter's commanders they needed more time to find another family member or close friend to help Hughes care for the boy, but Hutchinson was ordered to deploy on schedule.

Larson, the Army post spokesman, said officials planned to keep Hutchinson in Georgia as investigators gathered facts about the case.

"Spc. Hutchinson's deployment is halted," Larson said. "There will be no deployment while this situation is ongoing."

___

Russ Bynum has covered the military based in Georgia since 2001.

easjer
11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I wish there was more information here. Unfortunate situation, but I also question why her mother thought she would be able to care for him, given that her in-home daycare, special needs child and ailing mother weren't surprises, nor is how much care a 10 month old requires.

Also questioning what superior would honestly say foster care is a legitimate option. Yeesh.

BacktoBasics
11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I wish there was more information here. Unfortunate situation, but I also question why her mother thought she would be able to care for him, given that her in-home daycare, special needs child and ailing mother weren't surprises, nor is how much care a 10 month old requires.

Also questioning what superior would honestly say foster care is a legitimate option. Yeesh.Well I could see a mother feeling obligated to care for her daughters child in a situation like this only to realize that she's over her head at the last minute. People often bite off more than they can chew.

The second part doesn't shock me at all. This break you down to build you up mentality the military has only supports the kind of idiotic thinking accused of here.

easjer
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
That is a fair point, B2B. She may have felt obligated and then realized it was just in no way possible.

Whisky Dog
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Send one if Bush's kids in her stead since he started all of this.

Sapphire
11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Sounds like Grandma needs to give up some of the other 14 kids she keeps during the day. No wonder she's stressed.

mrsmaalox
11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Well the foster care threat was a stupid thing to do and probably a career ending move for whomever was responsible. That being said, nothing is being done to this lady that she wasn't told would happen when she voluntarily joined the Army. The rule is if you join the Army you must have a reliable family care plan because if you are deployed, you must go or face the consequences. She won't be forced to go, but now she's facing the music that was made clear to her in the beginning. Unless she is physically unable to fulfill her obligation, she'll be treated like anyone else who doesn't fulfill their obligation. The only difference is that some flunky in her chain of command said something stupid and her lawyer is off and running with it.

Crookshanks
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Y'all can feel sorry for this woman - I don't. Anyone who joins the Army has to know they have a VERY good chance of being deployed. So she joins and then gets involved in a relationship and gets pregnant. So now there's no one to care for the baby.

How about you don't get pregnant when you're not married - I know that's a novel idea in this day and age, but it certainly would've solved this problem. And if she was in a relationship with this guy - why can't he care for his child?

When you join the Army - they own you 24/7 - she should've thought about that before doing something stupid.

Frenzy
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Y'all can feel sorry for this woman - I don't. Anyone who joins the Army has to know they have a VERY good chance of being deployed. So she joins and then gets involved in a relationship and gets pregnant. So now there's no one to care for the baby.

How about you don't get pregnant when you're not married - I know that's a novel idea in this day and age, but it certainly would've solved this problem. And if she was in a relationship with this guy - why can't he care for his child?

When you join the Army - they own you 24/7 - she should've thought about that before doing something stupid.

Plus you become government property. what rights?

Wild Cobra
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Unless things have changed, you are obligated to have someone to care for your children in case you are deployed.

I can see her, at best if she continues to refuse deployment, getting an "Other than Honorable" discharge, and that will harm future employment to her.

If women want to serve, they need to realize we are in a world of equal rights.

JoeChalupa
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
That is a bad situation to be in for sure.

BacktoBasics
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't see how a dishonorable discharge would affect her ability to work at a later date. I'm sure that's what she's after.

I'm willing to bet based on the lack of intelligence she has that she was sold hook line and sinker as to the benefits of joining the military. Looks like a kick ass video game doesn't it? They lay in on pretty thick especially to the gullible ones. She then realized how fucked up and real it all is and went to plan B.

Its not all tank driving and satellite dodging fun.

JoeChalupa
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
In today's world you have to be pretty darn gullible and naive to think the military is is like any other job.

Destro
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Shoot the Traitor

easjer
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Unless things have changed, you are obligated to have someone to care for your children in case you are deployed.

I can see her, at best if she continues to refuse deployment, getting an "Other than Honorable" discharge, and that will harm future employment to her.

If women want to serve, they need to realize we are in a world of equal rights.

I agree, except it's not just a woman's problem. SFIE's best friend had sole custody of his son and ended up having to return him to his mother for care because he is about to be deployed again. There is a reason he had sole custody, and he's pretty upset with the situation, but he also knew that this (deployment) was a risk he was taking when he re-upped.

I don't feel sorry for the woman in the story, but I do feel sorry for the child. One might wish there were better options available for single parents, regardless of their sex, because it's hard enough on the children anyway. I don't know what those might be, but I do know situations change - such as SFIE's friend getting divorced and finding out his ex-wife had more interest in being single than in being a mother to their child. He hadn't planned on that situation when he re-upped.

mrsmaalox
11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't see how a dishonorable discharge would affect her ability to work at a later date. I'm sure that's what she's after.

I'm willing to bet based on the lack of intelligence she has that she was sold hook line and sinker as to the benefits of joining the military. Looks like a kick ass video game doesn't it? They lay in on pretty thick especially to the gullible ones. She then realized how fucked up and real it all is and went to plan B.

Its not all tank driving and satellite dodging fun.

:lol Oh for sure, the recruiters saw her coming! As I've said in the past, my SO is an Army psychiatrist and half of his appts each week are people who have changed their minds and don't want to play anymore. They claim stress or depression, but some go as far as to bust their drug tests or attempt suicide; and for the most part psych. recommends them for discharge, but the decision of whether or not they actually get the discharge rests elsewhere. Ordinarily, the Army's attitude would be one of "you pussies are no good to us, just get the hell out" and cut them loose, but right now is just not a good time for that! :)

mrsmaalox
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree, except it's not just a woman's problem. SFIE's best friend had sole custody of his son and ended up having to return him to his mother for care because he is about to be deployed again. There is a reason he had sole custody, and he's pretty upset with the situation, but he also knew that this (deployment) was a risk he was taking when he re-upped.

I don't feel sorry for the woman in the story, but I do feel sorry for the child. One might wish there were better options available for single parents, regardless of their sex, because it's hard enough on the children anyway. I don't know what those might be, but I do know situations change - such as SFIE's friend getting divorced and finding out his ex-wife had more interest in being single than in being a mother to their child. He hadn't planned on that situation when he re-upped.

And that's why they are required to update their family care plans twice per year, so they can make the necessary adjustments (including requesting a delay or postponement of deployment) [i]before[i] they get into a last minute legal hassle.

Unfortunately for people like SFIE's friend, it's possible that he could have entrusted the care of his child to another family member, but he must've had his child's mother as the designated guardian on his care plan. That's not the Army's fault.

easjer
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
No, it's not their fault - and it's not their fault that he married a lying, cheating whore who doesn't want to take the time and effort to parent their child. And the real problem is there was not another family member to take the child and the mother had legal rights to her son so appointing a friend was not an option. Also not the Army's fault.

But I could wish that there were other options available. As I said, I don't know what those would be. He knew that deployment was possible (he's been deployed to Iraq twice before already), he's accepted that and has made his arrangements (even if he doesn't like them) - as opposed to bailing on his orders like this chick. But I wish there were other options of some sort because I don't think this is in the child's best interests, as I don't think foster care was in the child's best interest in the story.

I don't have answers, and I don't agree with what this woman did. I'm just saying it's a sucky situation.

BacktoBasics
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
In today's world you have to be pretty darn gullible and naive to think the military is is like any other job.It's the backbone of their entire marketing strategy.

Wild Cobra
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM

I was thinking of pointing out the single fathers, but in the long run, it doesn't matter. If women want to be treated equal, and take a traditional man's job, then expect to be treated equal. Both good and bad!

mrsmaalox
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
You're right it's a terrible situation. It's terrible that our countries' children are ones who are paying the price for this "war". I feel great sympathy and compassion for every parent (and the lady in this newstory) who has to leave their children behind, and I am grateful for their sacrifice. But as long as we have a volunteer army that people voluntarily commit to before they considered all the worst possibilities, or as in your friend's case, even after they've considered all the worst posibilities and done it anyway, there won't be an easy solution. The army is just like any other employer, there's just not too much tolerance out there for people with child care issues.

Whisky Dog
11-17-2009, 07:39 PM
But, but... The Army will pay for my college!! The tv commercial and bug eyed recruiter with the pen and anxious grin said so!!!

You'd have to be a fuck nut idiot or suicidal or one of those brainwashed patriotic assholes... You know the ones with Toby Keith CDs in their truck... to join the army right now. In peace time it's a calculated risk to get the benefits and hope no war breaks out in 4 years but right now it's suicide.

Lesson #1 for the kiddos and naive - if you have to be recruited to do something it's gonna suck.

EmptyMan
11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Confiscate the kid and groom him to be a super soldier.

11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm not surprised but if that's true she'll probably get the discharge she's looking for. I'm shocked we don't see more and more of these types of tactics what with all the glamorization of the military we see in every other marketing ploy, commercial and advert.

Meh, 2/10.

You've done better.

Spursfan092120
11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Send one if Bush's kids in her stead since he started all of this.
politics forum

ploto
11-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Obviously, we are only getting half of the story. Maybe her superiors have a valid reason to believe she is being dishonest about the situation.

Wild Cobra
11-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Obviously, we are only getting half of the story. Maybe her superiors have a valid reason to believe she is being dishonest about the situation.
It doesn't matter what the truth is. It is the soldiers responsibility to make sure their children can be cared for if deployed. If the military wanted you to have children, they would have been issued.

PixelPusher
11-17-2009, 10:49 PM
But, but... The Army will pay for my college!! The tv commercial and bug eyed recruiter with the pen and anxious grin said so!!!

You'd have to be a fuck nut idiot or suicidal or one of those brainwashed patriotic assholes... You know the ones with Toby Keith CDs in their truck... to join the army right now. In peace time it's a calculated risk to get the benefits and hope no war breaks out in 4 years but right now it's suicide.

Lesson #1 for the kiddos and naive - if you have to be recruited to do something it's gonna suck.
If you join the Air Force, you get to work on the bridge of the Enterprise and redirect satellites.

btw, I hope Wild Cobra's new avatar doesn't fuck up my monitor.

Wild Cobra
11-17-2009, 10:58 PM
btw, I hope Wild Cobra's new avatar doesn't fuck up my monitor.
LOL...

Or your eyes?

mouse
11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Doesn't the military have daycare centers? Let her be part of it this way she can stay home have her baby and run the day care as she trains the young kids in military tactics that they will need in the future.
I say let her have her military benefits as long as she promises her child will join the military also its a win win situation for everyone case closed.

chode_regulator
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I had a long thought out reply to all the people who know everything yet have not been in the military, but then I asked myself why try. :downspin:

mouse
11-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Confiscate the kid and groom him to be a super soldier.

What would you know about being a soldier when you say this in the politics forum?

Who gives a fuck about the American Flag. It's just colored fabric.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139700

EmptyMan
11-18-2009, 09:08 AM
What would you know about being a soldier when you say this in the politics forum?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139700

lol include the context brah

If the military wanted you to have children, they would have been issued.

:lol

BacktoBasics
11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
You're right it's a terrible situation. It's terrible that our countries' children are ones who are paying the price for this "war". I feel great sympathy and compassion for every parent (and the lady in this newstory) who has to leave their children behind, and I am grateful for their sacrifice. But as long as we have a volunteer army that people voluntarily commit to before they considered all the worst possibilities, or as in your friend's case, even after they've considered all the worst posibilities and done it anyway, there won't be an easy solution. The army is just like any other employer, there's just not too much tolerance out there for people with child care issues.
If the Army is just like any other employer than they should be able to voluntarily quit as easy as they voluntarily signed up. Its not the same. Its ownership. The Military doesn't typically sign people up because they want to be in the military they're signed up based on the sales pitch of all the extra benefits and what nots. Once reality sets in and you realize that you've sold your soul to the devil how could you not want out.

Its real simple. They own you so you can't get out. Slavery vs. job. If they didn't own you half or more of the recruits would walk after realizing it wasn't quite what was pitched in that nice cozy office.

BacktoBasics
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
I had a long thought out reply to all the people who know everything yet have not been in the military, but then I asked myself why try. :downspin:'preciate that.

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
If the Army is just like any other employer than they should be able to voluntarily quit as easy as they voluntarily signed up. Its not the same. Its ownership. The Military doesn't typically sign people up because they want to be in the military they're signed up based on the sales pitch of all the extra benefits and what nots. Once reality sets in and you realize that you've sold your soul to the devil how could you not want out.

Its real simple. They own you so you can't get out. Slavery vs. job. If they didn't own you half or more of the recruits would walk after realizing it wasn't quite what was pitched in that nice cozy office.

You know B2B I'm not going to disagree with any of your comments, because having been a military wife for 15+ years has shown me that, to a certain extent, your opinions are accurate. I also realize that my own opinions of the military are based on my experiences, which are atypical to those of most military spouses. I've had the good fortune to be married to a high ranking physician and I know my lifestyle cannot be fairly compared to that of the average GI.

But as you point out the recruiting practices of the military are glamorized, and a less astute person may be swayed by them. But, these recruitment practices have always been the same. When I was a kid, when there was no military action taking place in the world, it was "Be all that you can be" "A few good men" etc, and as I recall the tv commercials were as glamorous then as now. Many people enlisted then and had wonderful careers, never having seen military action. The recruiting practices are exactly the same, we just see it differently now because there is a military action happening. The recruits now are actually having to do the job they were hired to do, and some don't like it.

Also as far as being a regular employer, I probably misspoke there. I really see it more as the military hired as contractors. They sign a contract to provide a service, and they shouldn't be surprised when they are expected to provide that service.

p.s. sorry my post is so disjointed, but for some reason my finger kept hitting submit, so I had to go back and fix/add things :)

desflood
11-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I also realize that my own opinions of the military are based on my experiences, which are atypical to those of most military spouses. I've had the good fortune to be married to a high ranking physician and I know my lifestyle cannot be fairly compared to that of the average GI.
I have to give you credit for this. Most officers' wives suck :lol

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I have to give you credit for this. Most officers' wives suck :lol
I really wouldn't know. Can you believe that in all this time i have never socialized with another military wife, of any rank? :lol

BacktoBasics
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I really wouldn't know. Can you believe that in all this time i have never socialized with another military wife, of any rank? :lolSnob

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I like pepper jack cheese

BacktoBasics
11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I like pepper jack cheeseMe too :toast

desflood
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I really wouldn't know. Can you believe that in all this time i have never socialized with another military wife, of any rank? :lol
I understand that it might be a bit intimidating - we're a wild bunch at times.

:rollin

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Snob

Jackass!

I like pepper jack cheese

co-Jackass!

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Just because I like Pepperjack?

BacktoBasics
11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Just because I like Pepperjack?Tough to please a woman huh.

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Tough to please a woman huh.

No joke. She strikes me as a extra sharp cheddar chick.

Wild Cobra
11-18-2009, 03:26 PM
If the Army is just like any other employer than they should be able to voluntarily quit as easy as they voluntarily signed up. Its not the same. Its ownership.

More like voluntary indentured servitude.

The Military doesn't typically sign people up because they want to be in the military they're signed up based on the sales pitch of all the extra benefits and what nots.

Speak for yourself. Sales pitch or not, most people know exactly what they are getting in to because they already know people in the service. I assume that can apply to a few, who didn't really think things out, but in general, I disagree with the implication of the sales pitch.

Once reality sets in and you realize that you've sold your soul to the devil how could you not want out.

Well, considering how many people re-enlist, I don't see that concept as holding too much water.

Are you saying more than half don't reenlist for that reason? I disagree. Sure, less than half stay in after their first term, but now, most I think want to exploit their earned benefits. Today, you still might have a hard time making plans until your reserve obligation is up, but you have the college, veterans loan, and so many others including preferred higher to other government agencies with 5% or 10% added to your hiring consideration. On top of that, it pays relatively well if you stay in.

2009 Military Pay (http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2009MilitaryPayTables.pdf):

Let's say you stayed in past 4 years. Chances are, you are an E-4 in rank The base pay is $2127.60 monthly. Now if you live in the barracks and are single, you have no expenses and that is mostly mad money. You also get a small clothing allowance, maybe combat pay or other incentives depending on you job. If you are at 4 years, married, and have a child, all this changes. You get a housing allowance, COLA adjust by area, Here is what you get as an E-4 <4 years (next step 6 years):

$323.87 Monthly Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)
$681.90 Monthly housing allowance +COLA adjust by area
$543.60 male annual clothing allowance
$633.60 female annual clothing allowance

OK, now we are looking at a minimum of $3178.67 monthly to live in the cheapest city in the USA. On top of that, only the base pay is taxes.

After a person's first term, they have a realistic decision to make, it's hard to find jobs that pay as well for most people once they join.

Now I took the time in Excel to calculate something. E-4 with two dependents living off base in the cheapest cost of living area makes an equivalent $42.8k annual, the equivalent of $20.59 per hour. Now he only makes $18.34 per hour ($38.1k annual) but only pays taxes on the base pay. Now of course, in a state with a state income tax, he makes even more equivalent. Now if we take that to a higher cost area, and say he gets a $500 monthly COLA. This changes to an equivalent annual of $50.8k, 0r $24.43 annual. He is now making $21.22 hourly based on 2080 hours and $44.1k actual annual. The soldier is in the 10% marginal tax bracket, the civilian making more for the same net income is in the 15%. Now this will even get more dramatic when the Bush Tax cuts expire.

These numbers only get better with time in service. At E-6 with 10 years. The soldier is now in the 15% marginal tax bracket, and his civilian counterpart, in the 25%.

$55.1k actual annual pay
$26.51 actual hourly

$68.6k effective annual pay
$38.80 effective hourly

20 years E-7

$66.6k actual annual pay
$32.00 actual hourly

$95.73k effective annual pay
$46.02 effective hourly

mouse
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
What I don't get is where are all the Abortion supporters at? If there ever was a time for an Abortion this is it! After all why can't the Military give her an abortion it's not like they don't know how to kill an innocent baby.

http://stevecopy.blogharbor.com/_photos/baby2.jpg

Wild Cobra
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
What I don't get is where are all the Abortion supporters at? If there ever was a time for an Abortion this is it! After all why can't the Military give her an abortion it's not like they don't know how to kill an innocent baby.

You sure keep a bunch of disgusting pictures.

Anyway, the military does do abortions,but it's also a "choice" issue of the mother's.

What I would be curious about, is, where is the father?

mouse
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
You sure keep a bunch of disgusting pictures.

learn to right click and go to properties, the picture is off of Google you taint sniffing mother fucker!

Anyway, the military does do abortions,

They have to support Obama

http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/obama-abortion.jpg

but it's also a "choice" issue of the mother's.
Good thing your's made the right choice how else would we have proof we landed on the Moon if you was not here to prove it?

What I would be curious about, is, where is the father?
maybe you can ask your Myth Busters buddies if they can produce him in a lab like they proved we went to the Moon. :lmao