PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Daniels Hopes to Join Spurs

Man Mountain
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Daniels, who also drew interest from Memphis before Tinsley signed with the Grizzlies on Saturday, is now hoping to rejoin San Antonio -- the franchise he won a title with in 1999.

"There is interest, but there is no urgency," said Daniels' agent, Tony Dutt. "This is, by far, the strangest year I've ever seen for guys getting opportunities."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Unemployed-091117

Bring back AD!

Sausage
11-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, if Pop wants to play a Hill/Parker combo more often, we'd need a backup PG so Roger Mason wouldn't have to. I wouldn't mind it, but who would we have to get rid of?

PDXSpursFan
Na. Next please!

loveforthegame
Where's the room for him? They could waive Haiston for the roster spot but how about minutes?

spursfan09
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
No thanks.

There was a reason why a 19 year old french rookie replaced him.

Blackjack
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Unless there's a trade that opens a roster spot, no thanks; definitely not at the expense of Hairston.

Honestly, there's no need for him.

Samr
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Interesting possibilities.

RMJ/Finley trade (they've both seen their minutes diminish), an Ian/Finley trade, cutting Haislip/Hairston, or any combination of the these guys could open up both a roster space and minutes.

I could see another team signing AD in a pre-arranged deal where they then immediately trade him to the Spurs for some combination of the above.

AD is a vet that knows the Spurs system (or at least from a few years ago), and he could handle the backup PG if Pop is interested in playing Hill and Parker together.

Haven't seen him play enough in recent years that I feel comfortable saying how he could help or hurt the Spurs, but a signing could be possible.

lefty
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
What?

kbrury
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Trade Mason Finley and picks for Nocioni? Its a trade I like though I do believe like many that our Bigs need an upgrade more then the wings but it does seem like Pop is going small ball alot.

Then bring in AD I guess though there might be better FAs out there, but I do believe we need another PG for insurance.

manu_maniac
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Umm, sorry bud, we like you and all, but your time in the silver and black is over.

lefty
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Are we talking about the same Antonio Daniels who played with George Gervin?

vy65
11-17-2009, 02:08 PM
He works out at the Lifetime at 281 and 1604 on a daily basis, and I've seen him play pick up games there too. He looks pretty good for a 30something pg, but this is coming from a out of shape white dude

Leetonidas
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
As a 3rd PG, he can't hurt. I say sign him up, trade Mason and Finley and some picks for Nocioni. That would be perfect.

rayray2k8
11-17-2009, 02:13 PM
George Hill > Antonio Daniels

mountainballer
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
the waive Hairston scenario could very well happen. unfortunately.
but the whole story does make a lot of sense. if Hill is turned into a SG for most of the time, there isn't a PG for the back up duties on the roster. not even if all are healthy.
but the result of such an addition would be, that Mason loses even more of his minutes, up to the point where he is pushed to 12th man in the rotation.
a trade of a Mason+Ian package for 1 player would make the most sense.
(again I come up with this package for James Jones).
then AD could be signed for the minimum without waiving Hairston.

Samr
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
George Hill > Antonio Daniels

It helps that he's about a third of his age.

I remember AD most for his statue of liberty dunks. That guy was awesome, but while he was with the Spurs he couldn't really figure out if he was a pg or an sg. I still have some of his old basketball cards. That guy was my hero back in the day.

Hope the Spurs at least consider it. He'd be a good insurance policy if they were gonna have a roster spot open (but the reason for the signing, imo, needs to be the trade that would open the spot, not the fact they just want AD)

xtremesteven33
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Antonio Daniels and Tim Duncan(from what i remember) are BEST FRIENDS. Seriously best friends. They were like inseperatable 10 years ago...

So I figure Tim wants him here...

Leetonidas
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
the waive Hairston scenario could very well happen. unfortunately.
but the whole story does make a lot of sense. if Hill is turned into a SG for most of the time, there isn't a PG for the back up duties on the roster. not even if all are healthy.
but the result of such an addition would be, that Mason loses even more of his minutes, up to the point where he is pushed to 12th man in the rotation.
a trade of a Mason+Ian package for 1 player would make the most sense.
(again I come up with this package for James Jones).
then AD could be signed for the minimum without waiving Hairston.

Hill probably won't play SG most of the time. If they trade Finley and Mason, they still have Manu and Bogans, or Hairston if they keep him. Hill will play PG with the 2nd unit and switch to SG if he's with Tony. I like that trade idea, James Jones would be a decent backup SF behind Jefferson instead of Finley.

MaNu4Tres
11-17-2009, 02:24 PM
This is where some Spurstalk faithful pull a Parker for Bosh scenario where Hill becomes the starter and we sign AD for the back up spot.

completely deck
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned. Remember 'Sheed said the same thing.

urunobili
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for 1999!!!

SCdac
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd rather the Spurs give someone with potential to grow a shot (perhaps Marcus Williams), versus signing a stop-gap in A. Daniels... I do think he would be overall better than Nick Van Exel's and Damon Stoudamire's lone season with us though, if not for his height and passing skills alone, but still, he's 34 and has lost a step in quickness.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
If we waive a promising, young athletic swingman that has worked hard and continues to improve..for an over-the-hill Antonio Daniels..I'm not even going to finish my thought..

TBH, people here REALLY overrated the "pure PG"..we don't have one, our system doesn't need one..even if we did, I don't even consider Daniels to be a pure PG..

lefty
11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Daniels was good for us in 1899

LOL@MavsFan
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
AD can't make a shot when it counts..PASS

fyatuk
11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I could see another team signing AD in a pre-arranged deal where they then immediately trade him to the Spurs for some combination of the above.

Not possible.

Sign and trades are only possible when a team resigns their own free agent to trade. Otherwise, you have to hold them for 30 days.

Since he was waived, there shouldn't be any team that would have the right to sign and trade him immediately.

baseline bum
11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
A few weeks ago I would have said no, but Mason is proving to be a Finley-esque bust so far this season, and hence it might make some sense.

EricB
11-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Daniels has a little gas left in the tank if u can swing a finley or mason trade I'd be for it.

coyotes_geek
11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
There's no point. He's definitely not going to be better than Parker, Hill or Manu. And it's not a guarantee by any stretch that he'd be a more productive player than Mason or Finley will be for the rest of the year.

hater
11-17-2009, 04:23 PM
last time I checked he was still getting to the foul line.

phxspurfan
11-17-2009, 04:25 PM
He works out at the Lifetime at 281 and 1604 on a daily basis, and I've seen him play pick up games there too. He looks pretty good for a 30something pg, but this is coming from a out of shape white dude

There were rumors about him getting into a fight over a pickup game back when I was in SAtown ('01). Not sure about him...

SenorSpur
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't see where there is room for him on this squad and I certainly don't want to see a promising young player, like Hairston, sacrificed to make it happen. Now if Finley or Mace is sacrificed - OK.

Don't know how he fits or what he's got left.

galvatron3000
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
So much for getting younger...

lefty
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
So much for getting younger...
Well, he looks young... :depressed

jag
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
No, because then Pop might give him minutes...and i'd hate to see him get minutes.

benefactor
11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
With Mason struggling and Hill assuming more of the swingman minutes this could happen. The most likely scenario is a sign and trade for the exact amount of Mason's contract....unless they choose to waive Hairston and sign him for the minimum...which, as others have stated, would suck balls.

gospursgojas
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
There were rumors about him getting into a fight over a pickup game back when I was in SAtown ('01). Not sure about him...

I was there. If you're talking about the fight(s) he would get into at homecourt america. He thought he knew all and was the best player on the court. But then he again...he was.

He also comes into my deli almost everyday for cookies. I could ask but I don't wanna embarrass him. ...

"Hey AD you think the spurs'll pick you up?"

Three mos later: "so I guess not huh?"

coyotes_geek
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
With Mason struggling and Hill assuming more of the swingman minutes this could happen. The most likely scenario is a sign and trade for the exact amount of Mason's contract....unless they choose to waive Hairston and sign him for the minimum...which, as others have stated, would suck balls.

Can't happen. Daniels was waived, so no one holds rights on him which would be needed to S&T him here.

benefactor
11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Can't happen. Daniels was waived, so no one holds rights on him which would be needed to S&T him here.
Ahh...forgot about that. I guess Hairston would have to go...and if that is the case I am not for this move.

Dex
11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
This makes me want to go to Jim's.

koriwhat
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
i'd way rather have hairston any day of the week over daniels.

G-Nob
11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
That would be an expensive sign.

Mr.Robinson
11-17-2009, 05:27 PM
He sucked then. He sucks even more now.

Spursfan 87
11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Mason or Finley, one of those 2 is going to be traded. They are basically the same player and we dont have minutes for both. Probably Mason is the one, because the spurs had already tried to trade him twice.

NZ Spurs
11-17-2009, 05:57 PM
He sucked then. He sucks even more now.

2001 Playoffs.

slayermin
11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
A few weeks ago I would have said no, but Mason is proving to be a Finley-esque bust so far this season, and hence it might make some sense.

I would have to agree. Mason and Bonner are worthless if they aren't hitting the three and Mason isn't hitting right now (23%). But maybe he'll get it going.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
If we're going to play somebody over Mason or Finley, it should be the guy that actually played really well in preseason and training camp, outplaying a lot of the guys on our team..not Antonio Daniels..

slick'81
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
dont know daniels has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth but maybe a rebirth in sa could get him going again

Muser
11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Mason/Bonner/Finley trade, then AD for the minimum. I'd do it.

MannyIsGod
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Only happens if the Spurs have completely lost faith in RMJ.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
We don't need another f'ing guard. We need some size in the middle or we're hosed.

Supergirl
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Antonio Daniels is >>>>>>>>>>> Jacque Vaughn, who we don't even have on our roster anymore. We don't have a third PG other than Manu, and relying too much on Manu to be PG (which he does well for a play or two) causes him to turn over the ball a lot more.

I would be in favor of getting rid of Haislip, Hairston, or Finley in order to pick up Daniels. But I wouldn't want to see us lose anyone else.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Let's hope for Camby.

Dude's made of glass, but he'd be better than Bonner on D.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
if Antonio Daniels is playing ANY minutes as our PG, we aren't winning shit this year..he's going to be 35 years old when the playoffs roll around, and he doesn't have any notable skills that would translate to success at an older age..

Even Finley is much, much better than Daniels, which is saying something..

the backup PG position is more overplayed here than ANYWHERE else..by far..

slick'81
11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
George hill is everything we wished ad was years ago

Whisky Dog
11-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Only if trade goes down where the Spurs get a big and get rid of Finley/RMJ.

You think Holt wants to take a lux tax hit on that guy otherwise?

CGD
11-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Pass...

Sounds like AD is just puffing...

angelbelow
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
i would pass, we have enough depth. if a trade were to happen we might consider him as a third string but there really isnt room for him right now.

coyotes_geek
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
George hill is everything we wished ad was years ago

Perfectly stated.

Spursfan 87
11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
If the spurs were to make a 2 or 3 players for 1 trade then AD could probably come back. Especially if Mason if included in the trade.

Let's hope for Camby.

Camby is a good option, but I prefer Okafor, i'll throw Tiago rights if it means Okafor in a spurs uniform. The guy is the perfect fit.

EmptyMan
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
The Spurs biggest weakness does not stem from guards.

phxspurfan
11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
I was there. If you're talking about the fight(s) he would get into at homecourt america. He thought he knew all and was the best player on the court. But then he again...he was.

He also comes into my deli almost everyday for cookies. I could ask but I don't wanna embarrass him. ...

"Hey AD you think the spurs'll pick you up?"

Three mos later: "so I guess not huh?"

Yeah that's it -- Homecourt. I wasn't there I just heard from some of my fellow ballers who frequented the place that something had gone down between AD and some random people. After that he didn't really seem like Spurs material.

duhoh
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
fail

Supergirl
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
AD may retire and join the Spurs front office...as people have pointed out, he's Timmy's best friend, so one way or the other, I bet he comes back to SA.

spursfan09
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Sorry, but what credentials does he have to go get a job with the front office? And no, being Tim's bestie doesn't count.

portnoy1
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Camby is a good option, but I prefer Okafor, i'll throw Tiago rights if it means Okafor in a spurs uniform. The guy is the perfect fit.
I like camby and Okafor but not there contracts. If we get a legit rebounder who is 6-10 or taller and mobile well be OK. That way This so-called mobile PF can guard his man and get rebounds while Tim anchors the defense and blocks shots. This so-called mobile PF will also clear the boards and box out when Timmy goes to cut off penetration so that the Offensive team cant get second chance points. That was kinda a problem in the Dallas series. STATISCALLY(thats just to save mel_13 some time)In each game the team that had the most rebounds was the team that won.

kbrury
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry, but what credentials does he have to go get a job with the front office? And no, being Tim's bestie doesn't count.

Hes smart, runs his own basketball camp, and actively involved in charities.

Capt Bringdown
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Antonio Daniels wants to re-join the Spurs...reminds me of the old quip about "people in Hell want icewater."

I'm sure there's a lot of has-beens who would love to pickup a nice fat NBA check.

portnoy1
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Will Pop allow him to comeback. Thats the question. Pop/FO has a certain standard for guys coming here. You rarely know the free agents the spurs sign. RMJ/Udoka/washed up Stoudamire and Van exel. The spurs dont get guys who have an attitude. If they do their way passed their prime an have settled down.

SouthTexasRancher
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
So Antonio has finally decided to become a parking attendant @ the AT&T. Good for him.

portnoy1
11-18-2009, 12:31 AM
So Antonio has finally decided to become a parking attendant @ the AT&T. Good for him.
Looking at the way things went down when he left, I highly doubt Pop would even allow him to do that. If he did allow it, Antonio would be the guy selling the $5 parking spaces; that way he would be as far from the att center as possible.

SouthTexasRancher
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Looking at the way things went down when he left, I highly doubt Pop would even allow him to do that. If he did allow it, Antonio would be the guy selling the $5 parking spaces; that way he would be as far from the att center as possible.

Maybe put him on Houston street directing traffic. Houston street downtown that is!

portnoy1
11-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Maybe put him on Houston street directing traffic. Houston street downtown that is!
Now that may work:lol

z0sa
11-18-2009, 12:40 AM
The Spurs always pop up somehow

mountainballer
11-18-2009, 04:51 AM
I really really don't get the hate from some of you.
yes, AD is well past his prime. maybe he is done.
but we are not discussing throwing the whole MLE for 3 years at him. if he signs, it will be for the vet. min.
yes, he might not be more successful than Finley is or NvE was.
and yes, if the Spurs waive Hairston to clear a roster spot for AD I'm all against it.
but WTF would be the problem to add AD if the Spurs find another way (a trade) to clear the spot? I would see this as a good insurance for the ball handling department.
btw. "done". he was still pretty good in the 2007-08 season for the Wizards. he struggled badly last year and also never found a niche with the Hornets. but he is still in good shape.
the Magic were quite happy to have Anthony Johnson when Nelson went down last season. and Johnson was as much "done" a year ago like AD is right now.

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM

What exactly went down when he left the first time?

DaBears
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I would like for spurs to go for a bigman rather than a guard were are loaded at that position....

CosmicCowboy
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
uhhhh...As I remember it, AD LEFT the Spurs because he didn't want to play point guard.

mountainballer
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I would like for spurs to go for a bigman rather than a guard were are loaded at that position....

let's count the Spurs big men........upf, I got 7!

coyotes_geek
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
uhhhh...As I remember it, AD LEFT the Spurs because he didn't want to play point guard.

I thought AD left because the Spurs traded him for Steve Kerr.

mountainballer
11-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought AD left because the Spurs traded him for Steve Kerr.

:lol
yes, BUT IT WAS HIS FAULT!
he COULD have left the Spurs one day because he didn't want to play PG, or he didn't want to play SG or he didn't want to play PG behind Tony or he didn't want to play defense or offense or whatever. let the saga grow.
it's the same like it was with Scola. didn't Scola leave the Spurs because he didn't want to marry Pop's daughter?

Bukefal
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Bring back DWash! :)

Anyway, I would not want AD. If we are getting someone, we could get someone better and younger. Spurs need to focus on younger players.

DaBears
11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldnt want AD either! Not because of his lack of talent. This team is lacking on defense, so who ever they would pick up I hope would improve that part of the team... It was mentioned earlier that SPURS are loaded in the bigmen department but lets count how many actually get to play and are shot blockers i count 1 TD... So with that being said i would either go for a big man that can play D or nothing at all... Spurs have plenty of players at guard...

portnoy1
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I wouldnt want AD either! Not because of his lack of talent. This team is lacking on defense, so who ever they would pick up I hope would improve that part of the team... It was mentioned earlier that SPURS are loaded in the bigmen department but lets count how many actually get to play and are shot blockers i count 1 TD... So with that being said i would either go for a big man that can play D or nothing at all... Spurs have plenty of players at guard...
Who is available then?Who did you have in mind? And how do we get them?

JustinJDW
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
This would only work if George Hill becomes strictly a Shooting Guard and if we completely get rid of Roger Mason or Michael Finley.

Otherwise, I don't see how he can help. We are not going to stop the development of our young talent for him, that's for sure.

crc21209
11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Maaaaaybe if it were 10 years ago....Sorry A.D...your time has passed.

admiralsnackbar
11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
pass...

Sounds like ad is just puffing...

+1

iilluzioN
11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
puffing on some goood stuff

timvp
11-19-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm on the AD bandwagon now. For the minimum, he could help out the team. I don't want to see RMJ play point guard and AD is at least a decent ballhandler who usually does well in clutch situations.

Bring him on.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
You really want to waive Hairston for him?..it makes absolutely no sense from a long-term perspective..

If we don't waive Hairston, how else would we realistically acquire Daniels?..take the hit on Haislip?..

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm on the AD bandwagon now. For the minimum, he could help out the team. I don't want to see RMJ play point guard and AD is at least a decent ballhandler who usually does well in clutch situations.

Bring him on.

I'm with that. Just have to find some sucker to take Mason off our hands.

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 01:24 AM
You really want to waive Hairston for him?..it makes absolutely no sense from a long-term perspective..

If we don't waive Hairston, how else would we realistically acquire Daniels?..take the hit on Haislip?..

Only if Mason is sacrificed. I want to see Haslip before they jettison him. No way should the touch Hairston. In fact, Hairston needs more PT.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Waive/Dump Ian... He's not gonna earn his salary anyways.
No more RMJ at point please.

timvp
11-19-2009, 01:26 AM

I'd probably keep Hairston. Dumping Haislip or Mahinmi for AD couldn't hurt. I don't see how Haislip or Mahinmi will ever get a legit chance this season unless massive injuries hit.

But even an old AD could help. He knows the system and provides useful depth. If Parker is going to be on a wobbly ankle and Manu is going to be out for a while, the Spurs need more than just Hill at PG.

rayray2k8
11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
I did say GHill > AD, but after tonight, I think i'd rather go with AD over Mason.. omg

rayray2k8
11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Looks like every one agrees that Ian should be dumped.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I'll take him for dumping Haislip too..

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Sign him up, bring back AD. Mason running the point when Hill is not on the floor will kill us.

kobyz
11-19-2009, 05:25 AM
i will wave Mason

benefactor
11-19-2009, 06:52 AM
i will wave Mason
He makes too much money.

I would also agree with waiving Haislip. He is least likely to contribute and his contract is the least between him and Ian.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I'd love to see Spurs waive Mason and bring AD but since they don't waive Haislip.

mountainballer
11-19-2009, 07:40 AM
ah, the board is developing some sympathies for the idea of bringing in AD.
again: it won't lift us over the top, but it could be a little helpful move. we are NOT over equipped in the ball handling department, especially when considering health problems of Manu and Tony. (no guarantee that this stops in a few days)

of course it's nonsense to think about waiving Mason. his contract might become a very important asset at deadline. if the Spurs ever think about waiving a player outside Hairston, it will be Haislip. not only is it the least expensive option, in a trade scenario Ian would also have a better value. but I still think the Spurs might want to wait till Dec. 15th and then try to trade Haislip including his salary for a TE. would save them almost 900K compared to waive him right now.

antimvp
11-19-2009, 07:51 AM
after last night AD in 3...........2.............1.

antimvp
11-19-2009, 07:52 AM
ah, the board is developing some sympathies for the idea of bringing in AD.
again: it won't lift us over the top, but it could be a little helpful move. we are NOT over equipped in the ball handling department, especially when considering health problems of Manu and Tony. (no guarantee that this stops in a few days)

of course it's nonsense to think about waiving Mason. his contract might become a very important asset at deadline. if the Spurs ever think about waiving a player outside Hairston, it will be Haislip. not only is it the least expensive option, in a trade scenario Ian would also have a better value. but I still think the Spurs might want to wait till Dec. 15th and then try to trade Haislip including his salary for a TE. would save them almost 900K compared to waive him right now.

speaking of haislip what up with this guy? I thought he had a chance to play for this team.

mountainballer
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM
he played bad in the pre season and likely also in the training sessions. on a 15 man roster you always have 3 guys who won't play. Haislip is one of them.

mountainballer
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
there are talks with Orlando!
Jameer Nelson had a knee surgery yesterday (torn meniscus)and will be out for 4-8 weeks.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/11/no-interest-in-allen-iverson-but-antonio-daniels-agent-contacts-magic.html
The agent for guard Antonio Daniels told the Sentinel on Wednesday that he spoke with the Magic about signing Daniels in the aftermath of an injury to starting point guard Jameer Nelson.