PDA

View Full Version : Early Schedule Hurting Spurs

Jess
11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry if this has been observed before, but I don't visit that often and I haven't seen it posted. For you 10,000+ post b-ball genius armchair coaches, this may be painfully obvious so bear with me.

The Spurs have played 8 games. Of course, scheduling quirks are most obvious to fans like you and me. We only get to see our Spurs once a week lately, it seems. I'm sure Pop and the guys don't sweat it, they're pros and probably enjoy the time at home and in the gym.

But I can't see how this team is supposed to develop any continuity playing a schedule like this. Pop's needs games for his incessant (but necessary) tinkering, not practices and rest. The guys, new and old, need to get into a rhythm and we're still playing exhibition games.

The Spurs are old, NBA. I get it. For goodness sake, don't cater to them. If Timmy's knees can't handle more than one or two games a week, we're not going anywhere anyway.

Finally, for all you cliffjumpers: relax and trust in the system. 8 blows ain't gonna crack this thing.

:flag:

EmptyMan
11-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Champions don't need these lame excuses for shitty starts.

TIMMYD!
11-17-2009, 09:41 PM
It's not the schedule, it's our defense which can improve with more practice.

ElNono
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
There's a negative and positive about the schedule.
The negative, as you said well, is that the big spacing between games really makes it hard to get into any kind of rhytm. Practices are nice and all, but most players will tell you there's nothing like playing actual games. The other side of all this rest now is that later down the season we will probably have more games packed up together which will prevent resting much at all when you would need the rest the most.
The positive on the schedule is that we're playing a high percentage of games at home early. This is nice because it gives you a little more room for error while the team meshes together. By the time he rodeo road trip comes around, we should be a much more cohesive team.

So, all in all, there's good and bad. But nothing that this team can't handle.

Flux451
11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
too much time in between games seriously wtf.
dallas is 8-3 and we are 4-4?????

Jess
11-17-2009, 11:57 PM
So much negativity around here. lol.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2009, 12:14 AM
you call them pros when they can only handle 1 game a week?

hahahaha they should be playin 3-4 games a week on that salary they are earning...

Russ
11-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Champions don't need these lame excuses for shitty starts.

No, they just need shitty starts. (See 1999).

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2009, 07:44 AM
its finish not start..

nkdlunch
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
100% agree with OP. 4 days off, 3 days off, 5 days off. what kinda nba schedule is this? it's a fucking joke.

its a big reason spurs can't get any kind of groove on. not to mention injuries happen in this kinda schedule. I mean 5 days off then a back to back on the road???

dbestpro
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
100% agree with OP. 4 days off, 3 days off, 5 days off. what kinda nba schedule is this? it's a fucking joke.

its a big reason spurs can't get any kind of groove on. not to mention injuries happen in this kinda schedule. I mean 5 days off then a back to back on the road???

Agreed. Players need to play together to get better. Currently, it is very hard for the players to gel with the schedule, new faces and Pops rotations.

The good news is the schedule will sort itself out, the players will get use to each other and Pop............ well, the good news is the schedule will sort itself out.

guzmangm
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
The schedule is hurting now. The spurs usually have a slow start and that's with a normal schedule but now they don't even play but once, twice a week. Hard to get game rythm going like that. Already gonna have three back to backs. I don't think anybody else has only played 8 games... I'm sick of the "Champions don't need excuses crap." That's an "on paper" argument. Sometimes the best teams don't always win because of factors not under their control, i.e. refs, injuries, schedules, etc, etc... You do need a little luck and circumstance to go your way to actually win it all.

nkdlunch
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
BTW Lakers schedule 3-4 games per week vs. mostly lottery teams don't hurt them either

quentin_compson
11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree that those long breaks between games at the start of this season aren't very good for a team that needs to get into rhythm and develop some chemistry. No excuses, just an observation.

iilluzioN
11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
stop crying spurs fans

TinTin
11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Something funny I found when I was looking at their schedule. It is of course irrelevant right now

From http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/

Sunday, March 21 - @ Atlanta
Monday, March 22 - @ Oklahoma
Wednesday, March 24 - vs Lakers
Friday, March 26 - vs Cavs
Sunday, March 28 - @ Boston
Monday, March 29 - @ New Jersey (who knows what this team or our team will be then)
Wednesday, March 31 - vs Houston
Friday, April 02 - vs Magic
Sunday, April 04 - @ Lakers

I loled when I saw this schedule

boutons_deux
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
yep, a back-loaded, crowded schedule of top teams, intended to crush the Spurs going into the playoffs.