PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: After defending Durant, Spurs' Hill wants Nowitzki

Blackjack
11-18-2009, 12:51 AM
After defending Durant, Spurs' Hill wants Nowitzki (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/After_defending_Durant_Spurs_Hill_wants_Nowitzki.h tml)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

DALLAS – Fresh off performing yeoman's work defending Oklahoma City scoring star Kevin Durant, Spurs guard George Hill wouldn't mind an even tougher assignment tonight in Dallas.

Bring on Dirk Nowitzki?

“If the opportunity is there to guard Dirk, I'm going to welcome it with open arms,” Hill said. “I like the challenge. I like to defend.”

Hill's dream matchup is probably not going to happen. Though the 6-foot-2 Hill has demonstrated considerable ability to defend players taller than he is, the 7-foot Nowitzki is probably a little out of his range.

Durant, 6-foot-9, was the tallest player Hill had been asked to defend. Hill held his own, helping to limit to Durant to 6-of-18 shooting. He finished with 25 points, getting 13 of them at the foul line.

“It was difficult guarding him, because he can do so many things, but it was fun,” Hill said. “You can't stop someone like that from scoring. All you can do it make it difficult for them.”

Nowitzki, the NBA's eighth-leading scorer at 26.3 points per game, falls into the same category.

In a 92-83 victory over Dallas a week ago, the Spurs found some success guarding Nowitzki with a combination of Antonio McDyess, Richard Jefferson and Keith Bogans.

Nowitzki finished that game with 29 points, but was 9-of-27 from the field.

You again?: It was only a week ago that the Spurs knocked off the Mavericks without Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. They have played just one game since, losing to Oklahoma City on Saturday.

For the Spurs, the quick rematch with Dallas makes it feel a little like a playoff series.

“After a while, you learn that's the nature of the NBA,” Spurs forward Richard Jefferson said. “I've played home-and-homes with teams before. It's interesting, but I think it's good for us to get these good, competitive games against a quality team.”

The Mavs have played three times since leaving San Antonio, winning all three games on the road. Monday, they needed an overtime buzzer-beater from Nowitzki to beat Milwaukee, 115-113.

Defending Big D: The Spurs enjoyed their best defensive game of the season against Dallas, limiting the Mavs to 83 points and 35.4 percent shooting. Dallas coach Rick Carlisle wasn't surprised at the Spurs' defensive prowess that night, even though they entered the game ranked in the bottom half of the league.

“Bogans is a good defender, Jefferson's a good defender, (Manu) Ginobili's a good defender, Hill's a good defender,” Carlisle said. “They've got a bunch of guys. Everybody's trying to work through things and get better, and we're no different than them.”

honestfool84
11-18-2009, 12:54 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing Hill on Nowitzki, at least for a few minutes.

Borosai
11-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2009, 01:06 AM
I reckon he'd do alright to be honest

Ghazi
11-18-2009, 01:10 AM
if by alright you mean get face fucked I agree.

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 01:16 AM
I miss the old Dirk-stopper - Elson. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
11-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Dirk may be just too tall for Hill. If it gives him trouble, Dirk would eventually adjust and just sink easy jumpers over him.

I think RJ on Dirk is fine. The thing about our Mavericks matchupability in this era is that Hill absolutely utterly nullified anything that Jason "the jet" (ROFL) Terry can bring to the table. Putting Hill on Terry at all times makes Terry the invisible man on both sides of the court.
Rather see Hill in that role.

We actually have a better chance than I thought to win this game with Marion, Howard, and Damp all out. If Gooden blackholes for a quarter or two, this game may even be a gimmie.

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Bogans and McDyess did fine on Dirk

redzero
11-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Who does he think he is, David West?

celldweller
11-18-2009, 01:32 AM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4729/georgehillhasarrived.gif

mesothorny
11-18-2009, 01:40 AM
[quote=celldweller;3845840]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4729/georgehillhasarrived.gif[/quote

GET THAT WEAK ASS SHIT OUTTA MY MUTHA FUCKIN FACE YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF MONKEY SHIT!!!!!

Blackjack
11-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Hill had success on Durant because of his ball-denial. Once Durant and, even more so, Dirk get the ball in a scoring position, Hill's pretty much at their mercy; he's just hoping for a miss.

You couldn't get away with Hill on Dirk for extended amounts of time but in spot-minutes, where he could deny or take away the ability for him to put the ball on the floor, he's capable of having some success.

He can't do it alone, though. If you want to deny the ball when you're at that big of a physical disadvantage, you've got to have a cohesive help defense. The front-court has to be solid in their rotations and the helpers have to receive help; the team's got to be on a string.

The Spurs have just got to continue to mix it up and not be too predictable from where they choose to double if and when they do so. 'Dyess, Bonner, Jefferson, Bogans, and yes, even Hill will all get their shot; again.

VI_Massive
11-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Bogans and McDyess did fine on Dirk

Agreed. I thought Dice did quite a nice job on Dirk in the previous game. Dirk went nuts in the second half but that was somewhat to be expected with a great player like him, given the success the Spurs had in the first half.

I think Dirk shot a lot of jumpers in the first half and missed and realized that without TD, the Spurs didn't have much shot blocking so he took it to the rim in the second half and had success. Again, McDyess didn't shut Dirk down, but he did as well as could be expected.

FeZZy
11-18-2009, 02:11 AM
barrea looks like a little fat smurf haha

mesothorny
11-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Dirk will make his share of off-balanced jumpers and awkward shots (he always does), but the trio of RJ, Bogans and McDyess will surely have more success than Bowen, Udoka and Fab.

McDyess can also use his smarts, length and athleticism, something Elson was never capable of pulling off. The McDyess we saw against Dallas - tenacious, mean, aggressive - is the McDyess I hope to see as the season wears on.

mystargtr34
11-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Hill would get torched... he wont be able to do anything against Dirk once he catches the ball.

NZ Spurs
11-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Hill had success on Durant because of his ball-denial. Once Durant and, even more so, Dirk get the ball in a scoring position, Hill's pretty much at their mercy; he's just hoping for a miss.

Its not just the ball denial; Hill can pressure the dribble and he is quick enough to make it difficult for Dirk to comfortably get into his shooting position.

In a post up situation, without help, I think Hill is screwed.

mytespurs
11-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Be careful what you wish for George Hill-you may not like what you get!:hat

On the other hand, it would be a humbling and learning experience for him which could only help him become a better player. :king

Danny.Zhu
11-18-2009, 02:36 AM
That's the spirit.

Blackjack
11-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Its not just the ball denial; Hill can pressure the dribble and he is quick enough to make it difficult for Dirk to comfortably get into his shooting position.

You couldn't get away with Hill on Dirk for extended amounts of time but in spot-minutes, where he could deny or take away the ability for him to put the ball on the floor, he's capable of having some success.

In a post up situation, without help, I think Hill is screwed.

Once Durant and, even more so, Dirk get the ball in a scoring position, Hill's pretty much at their mercy; he's just hoping for a miss.

I'm not seeing the disagreement...

duhoh
11-18-2009, 03:27 AM
spurs defense is all about help d down low

greyforest
11-18-2009, 03:28 AM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4729/georgehillhasarrived.gif

this would be a lot more impressive if jj barea was over 6 feet tall

who has the old jpg of bowen blocking a dirk jumper and he's like 3 ft off the ground?

edit:
http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/0605/nba_g_bowennowitzki_268.jpg

there's a bigger version somewhere. THAT is playing d on dirk.

NZ Spurs
11-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I'm not seeing the disagreement...

Skim read. Sorry.

Its become a habit, the increase of morons on this board has brought it on.

mountainballer
11-18-2009, 04:13 AM

well said.
(much like Bruce) Hill will also be able to successfully defend players taller and stronger than him. but there will be limits. just because he was a little bit successful on Durant that night doesn't mean this proves he could constantly guard the 6'10''+ players. this is ridiculous.

NZ Spurs
11-18-2009, 04:28 AM
just because he was a little bit successful on Durant that night doesn't mean this proves he could constantly guard the 6'10''+ players. this is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Its all about throwing different looks at players to stop them getting into a rhythm. It's a method Pop subscribes to in the absence of a single lock-down defender.

mountainballer
11-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Its all about throwing different looks at players to stop them getting into a rhythm.
you mean, the more different looks, the more he gets confused? common. there won't be a single situation when Dirk doesn't play alongside a player, who will be a very good match up for Hill. especially with Terry on the floor. (who will play even more minutes, if Howard is out).
I really don't want to see Hill on Dirk, not for a second. because this would also mean that either Terry or Barea or Kidd or Beaubois does NOT have Hill under his skin. let Dice, RJ, Bogans do this job.

Chieflion
11-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Hill, please do not talk shit. You are not going to like the view.

Ice009
11-18-2009, 06:49 AM
How about you guys stop talking shit about Hill?

I like that Hill wants these big challenges and match ups. If he gets humbled it will only make him better.

z0sa
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
You can't guard Dirk, Hill, but if Pop wants to try, give it all you got.

Muser
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Hell no.

BWS-1994
11-18-2009, 07:30 AM
A few possessions wouldn't hurt I guess. Just for the sake of seeing how Hill will match up and what he can do for future references.

Ice009
11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Anyone remember the odd occasion when TP would find himself switched onto Dirk? which funnily enough usually resulted with a miss from Dirk ;).

Seventyniner
11-18-2009, 08:10 AM
A Tony/Hill/Manu/RJ/Duncan lineup would work beautifully against the Mavs if Hill could actually guard Dirk. However, I don't see it working for more than a couple of possessions.

DBMethos
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Hill, please do not talk shit. You are not going to like the view.

Where did he talk shit? He just said that if he was asked to defend Dirk, he'd welcome the challenge. He didn't say anything stupid like "I'd shut his ass down". :nope

silverblackfan
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
After defending Durant, Spurs' Hill wants Nowitzki (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/After_defending_Durant_Spurs_Hill_wants_Nowitzki.h tml)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

“Bogans is a good defender, Jefferson's a good defender, (Manu) Ginobili's a good defender, Hill's a good defender,” Carlisle said. “They've got a bunch of guys. Everybody's trying to work through things and get better, and we're no different than them.”

Glad he cleared that up. The only last name mentioned that has been on the roster for longer than 2 years needed a first name added.

coyotes_geek
11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Love Hill's enthusiasm about it, but no, I do not want to see Hill guarding Dirk.

kace
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
nothing is impossible for the kid.

yesterday, he was proclaimed the best thing we had against Kobe. Now, he can guard Dirk.

i can't wait for the LA game where he could switch from Kobe to Pau depending the one is hotter.

spurspokesman
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
you mean, the more different looks, the more he gets confused? common. there won't be a single situation when Dirk doesn't play alongside a player, who will be a very good match up for Hill. especially with Terry on the floor. (who will play even more minutes, if Howard is out).
I really don't want to see Hill on Dirk, not for a second. because this would also mean that either Terry or Barea or Kidd or Beaubois does NOT have Hill under his skin. let Dice, RJ, Bogans do this job.
Exactly

Sotongball21
11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Anyone remember the odd occasion when TP would find himself switched onto Dirk? which funnily enough usually resulted with a miss from Dirk ;).

Yeah i remember that too! i remember bowen was guarding howard for long stretches of the game and parker guarding dirk. And parker did a good job IIRC.

Spurs always wanted dirk to win the game by himself, not letting the other players get into rhythm.

Chieflion
11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Where did he talk shit? He just said that if he was asked to defend Dirk, he'd welcome the challenge. He didn't say anything stupid like "I'd shut his ass down". :nope
Challenge? What challenge? Hill would get his ass kicked. I would rather he stick to perimeter players and stay away from Dirk. It was not as if he did an excellent job on Durant either. Oh ya, Pop would also be crazy to even try that cause Terry, if in the game, is a guy who can catch fire easily. No Spurs fan sane enough would want to see Hill on Dirk unless it was a pick and roll situation.

Besides, I was just exeggarating. Hill is a down to earth guy, knows he is not a world beater. Hill should be starting until Parker is clearly healthy too.

ElNono
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm not really concerned about Dirk. He's gonna get his.
I'm more concerned about making JET and JJ Barea look like All Stars, something we've managed to do in the past.

Interrohater
11-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not really concerned about Dirk. He's gonna get his.
I'm more concerned about making JET and JJ Barea look like All Stars, something we've managed to do in the past.

Totally agree. It's always been true that if you can shut down the rest of the team, the all-star can't win the game by himself. Possible, yes, but probable, no.

lurker23
11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I want to see this matchup; I think Hill has a fighting chance. My only worry is that Dirk could shoot over him at will, and Dirk is a darn good jump shooter. But Hill is a lot stronger than people give him credit for, and if Dirk thinks he'll be able to bully Hill just because his shoulders, neck, and head extend another 10 inches in the air, he's got another thing coming to him.

Chieflion
11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I want to see this matchup; I think Hill has a fighting chance. My only worry is that Dirk could shoot over him at will, and Dirk is a darn good jump shooter. But Hill is a lot stronger than people give him credit for, and if Dirk thinks he'll be able to bully Hill just because his shoulders, neck, and head extend another 10 inches in the air, he's got another thing coming to him.
When it comes to flopping pound for pound, Dirk is the best there is and the whistles will start to come.

Interrohater
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
When it comes to flopping pound for pound, Dirk is the best there is and the whistles will start to come.

too true. I don't think Hill would do poorly on him, though. Hill has quick hands, a deceptively long reach, good instincts and hops. He could probably front Dirk and do a good job. But like others have said, as soon as Dirk gets the ball, Hill would have no chance to defend against the jumpshot. Dirk shoots it above his head, which is too high even for Mr. Fantastic, George Hill.

Then again, it's pretty rare in the NBA to see a jumpshot get blocked anyway, so should that even factor in?

Chieflion
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
too true. I don't think Hill would do poorly on him, though. Hill has quick hands, a deceptively long reach, good instincts and hops. He could probably front Dirk and do a good job. But like others have said, as soon as Dirk gets the ball, Hill would have no chance to defend against the jumpshot. Dirk shoots it above his head, which is too high even for Mr. Fantastic, George Hill.

Then again, it's pretty rare in the NBA to see a jumpshot get blocked anyway, so should that even factor in?
Don't see Dirk getting blocked on a jump shot, it is almost impossible to block a 7 footer with a high release like Dirk.

nkdlunch
11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Dirk is a jumpshooting pussy. of course a smaller man can take him.

when is the last time Dirk posted up???

lurker23
11-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Well, you can't discount how defensive pressure or a hand in your face impacts shooting percentages. If you ever watch NBA players shoot open jumpers in practice, they're easily hitting 60-70%, if not higher. It all depends on the player's shooting style and situational mental focus; if a top player is in a groove, they will only be impacted adversely if he feels the hand will change the flight of the ball; at other times, simply having a guy within a foot of him or a hand in his face will be enough to change the shot.

The Great Fantastic
11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
This article is goofy. McDonald sensationalizes just as much as anybody else creating stories instead of just reporting. McDonald asked Hill if he would be guarding Dirk. Hill was caught off guard and responded by saying that he wants to help in any way that he can, if that means guarding Dirk, then he will do his best.

McDonald is acting as if Hill was challenging Dirk. Dream matchup? McDonald is a dumbass.

ElNono
11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Dirk is a jumpshooting pussy. of course a smaller man can take him.

when is the last time Dirk posted up???

He doesn't post up. But he has been driving left from the top of the key a whole lot this season.
That's pretty much his 'signature move' this year.

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 01:18 PM
While Hill did have some success in guarding Durant for a stretch, by making him work hard, it's another thing entirely for him to consider when trying to guard Dirk.

Granted Hill is a very good and capable defender, but I don't think we or Pop should delude ourselves on this one. Dirk is a different animal. It'd be better for Pop to employ the same strategy as before - running a slew of defenders at him, that include Bogans, Dice, RJ and Bonner. They call all take turns.

Besides, I'd rather see Hill clamp down on that turtle-headed, lil' bastard - Jason Terry.

Blackjack
11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Besides, I'd rather see Hill clamp down on that turtle-headed, Mr. Hankey-lookin', lil' bastard - Jason Terry.

FIFY :hat

Solid D
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM

It wasn't odd and Dirk has killed the Spurs on this mismatch, even though he may have had an occasional miss over TP. It's a normal and frequent play called when the Spurs meet Dallas. Dallas runs as many screen/rolls as the Spurs do...and that's lots and lots of screen/rolls. It's also why it is likely that Hill may end up trying to defend Dirk...after switching the screen.

Hill has good length and active hands but at 6'2", it's still a tough matchup.. That is why Bogans on J Kidd isn't such a bad option. He plays Kidd tough and when Keith can't fight over the top, he's saavy enough to try to force Dirk away from his favorite spots near the elbow. When Bogans does fight over the screens by Dirk, McDyess does very well at making Dirk feel crowded.

With all that said, the winner of this game tonight will need to play well in the 4th quarter because Dallas has become a fantastic 4th quarter team, with Dirk at the heart of it.

angelbelow
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that is a bit unrealistic, Geogre is a good defender with good instincts but Dirk is too big. We'll see though!

ffadicted
11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I completely agree with Cant_Be_Faded, I wanna see Hill guarding terry tonight, with jefferson/mcdyess/bogans switching on dirk.

Indazone
11-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I think he can get it done against Dirk. Dirk hates posting up and likes to put the ball on the floor on the perimeter. He won't get easy shots against Hill.

Solid D
11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I think he can get it done against Dirk. Dirk hates posting up and likes to put the ball on the floor on the perimeter. He won't get easy shots against Hill.

Funny, Dirk doesn't act like he hates posting up....especially with the FTs that typically ensue.

JustinJDW
11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
I love Hill's heart, but seriously, a 6'2 Guard off the Bench defending at 7'0 All-Star like Dirk.

Let's come back down to Earth guys. Hill should focus on shutting down guys like Terry and Kidd.

Austin_Toros
11-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I think that is a bit unrealistic, Geogre is a good defender with good instincts but Dirk is too big. We'll see though!

yeah Dirk is way to big. he will just use his turnaround J and shoot over Hill. but it would be interesting to watch though. i have no doubt Hill would give 100% effort