PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs say struggles part of process

Blackjack
11-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Spurs say struggles part of process (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_say_struggles_part_of_process.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

DALLAS — Another coach, in another sport, once put it best.

“You are what your record says you are,” former Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells used to say.

By that measure, the Spurs — eight games into a bipolar season — have been every bit of inconsistent that their 4-4 record might suggest.

World beaters one game, world-beaten the next, the new-look Spurs have struggled in their search for stability while attempting to integrate seven new players this season.

If the playoffs started today — a ridiculous notion, for sure — the Spurs would not be in them. For now, the Spurs will continue to place faith in their talent, which is considerable, as well as in the age-old adage that it's a long season.

“A good start, a slow start, it doesn't matter,” said swingman Richard Jefferson, one of those new faces. “You've got 70-something games left to prove who you are.”

Tonight, the Spurs are in Dallas, Parcells' old stomping grounds, for the first of their remaining 74 regular-season games. This game kicks off a two-pack of rematches that seems to crystallize the Spurs' mercurial season to date.

A week ago, the Spurs trounced Dallas 92-83 at the AT&T Center, putting together arguably their best all-around performance of the season with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker sidelined.

After Round 2 tonight at American Airlines Center, the Spurs return home Thursday to face the Utah Jazz, against whom they played inarguably their worst game of the season. Utah won that Nov. 5 game in Salt Lake City 113-99, shooting 53 percent and scoring its most points against the Duncan-era Spurs.

“I don't think we're playing good at all,” said Manu Ginobili, whose own rollercoaster season mirrors his team's. “We can do much better than this. Frustrating is not the word. It's disappointing.”

The Spurs have gone 4-1 at home, their lone loss coming 101-98 to Oklahoma City on Saturday. They are 0-3 on the road, losing to Chicago, Utah and Portland by an average of 11 points.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, like Parcells not exactly world renowned for his patience, is reserving judgment on his team in transition. He notes the Spurs have at least competed better since that lackluster game in Utah.

He expects the Spurs' defense — the team's most frequent Achilles' heel so far — will improve once his new players get on the same page with the old standbys.

“It's probably tougher on the defensive end,” Popovich said. “Everybody likes to score. All of these guys have been scoring all of their lives. ... It's tougher for a team to come together and trust each other at the defensive end.”

Popovich has no timetable for when he expects the Spurs' $80 million roster to completely gel.

“Whenever it does,” Popovich said. “It might be next week. It might be in January. It might be Feb.27. You can't make it come together. It will or it won't.”

Spurs players hope it comes together sooner, rather than later. They were the overwhelming preseason pick to win the Southwest Division, a circuit the Mavericks currently lead.

Perhaps, Jefferson said, those early-season expectations were unrealistic.

“We haven't played that many games together, and everybody's looking for that 8-2 start,” he said. “That's not the way it works in the NBA sometimes.”

For now, the Spurs will continue to grind through the inevitable ups and downs. They will take comfort in those 70-something games left on their schedule.

And in April, when the long regular season is over, they will hope to look back and appreciate what their record says about them then.

“It's not the end of the world,” Jefferson said. “You have a couple good games, then you struggle a little bit. You don't go back to the drawing board, but you try to correct your mistakes and get better.”

benefactor
11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
McDonald's message to Spurstalk:

_i1vMK4XaPk

z0sa
11-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Only bandwagon fans are worried right now. Call me on Feb. 27th

AussieFanKurt
11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
far from worried. whats our record. oh wait.. doesnt matter yet

Jimcs50
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Love the song, thanks. BTW, I am not worried yet. Spurs are notorious slow starters.

usckk
11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
However, it does worry me that the Lakers, even without Paul Gasol, is doing really well.

Chieflion
11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
However, it does worry me that the Lakers, even without Paul Gasol, is doing really well.
Who is this Paul Gasol? Is he a hybrid of Marc Gasol and Paul Pierce?

Sotongball21
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Dam! that would be the shitz!

But its always the same, slow start. So, who cares about the % now.
Now its all about building team chemistry.

lurker23
11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
“Whenever it does,” Popovich said. “It might be next week. It might be in January. It might be Feb.27. You can't make it come together. It will or it won't.”

Pop knows the power of SPAM.

nkdlunch
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM

genius!!!

:pctoss

easjer
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
It is so far from time to worry. Frustrating to watch, definitely, but hardly the point at which we need to cliff-jump.

polandprzem
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
i will have worries when the month of November will end and the spurs will still be in that position record wise and basketball wise.

All in all they need to adopt many new things.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Oh good lord. They are both ugly SOBs to start with. A hybrid would be truly frightening.

SpursWench21
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Only bandwagon fans are worried right now. Call me on Feb. 27th

+10:flag: Assuming these rotations are worked out within the next few months (knock on wood), I cant wait to see us performing as smoothly as any other champ-caliber team.

xtremesteven33
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM
No Bowen,Vaughn,Oberto,Thomas

And you replace them with RJ,Hill,Blair and Mcdyess

Those players are vastly different in styles and age. Its definitely going to take time for D,P,&G to get used to how good these players are.

crc21209
11-18-2009, 05:39 PM
No Bowen,Vaughn,Oberto,Thomas

And you replace them with RJ,Hill,Blair and Mcdyess

Those players are vastly different in styles and age. Its definitely going to take time for D,P,&G to get used to how good these players are.

Agreed. Any TRUE NBA fan knows that the NBA Season is a marathon and not a sprint. Last year the Spurs started 2-5 and the Spurs ended up just fine with a less talented and older roster than this years. The Spurs at the end of the day...will be just fine. :flag: