PDA

View Full Version : When Kobe Shoots 20 Times or Less..

Mike D
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Kobe shooting 20 times or less- Lakers 0-3

Kobe shoots 21 times or more- Lakers 8-0

Thought this was interesting as it has been debated that Kobe shooting 20+ times is counter-productive for Laker success. Perhaps this argument can now be settled, there is no magic number, and the stat may actually hold little actual value other than a simple degree of measurement.

Any thoughts from non-Lakers and Lakers fans alike?

Muser
11-18-2009, 11:09 AM
whatever you have to do to win on the court.

fyatuk
11-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Number of times shooting is irrelevant. Shooting percentage is more important.

Kobe has to put up a lot of shots to open the offense up for others, whether he's hitting or not though. It's part of his job. Same thing with Dirk Nowitzki, Lebron James, Tony Parker, etc. It's part of their job to keep putting up attempts.

PGDynasty24
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Kobe has to put up a lot of shots to open the offense up for others, whether he's hitting or not though. It's part of his job. Same thing with Dirk Nowitzki, Lebron James, Tony Parker, etc. It's part of their job to keep putting up attempts.

This

ElNono
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Depends on the matchups, and also the percentages.

Was he playing with Shaq or Gasol when he did this?
Did he need to chuck 25 shots to score 25 points?

LakeShow
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Just goes to show you that its the players Kobe plays with rather than Kobe himself. It wasnt too long ago that the stats said the opposite. That when Kobe shoots more than 20, the lakers lose.

ElNono
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Just goes to show you that its the players Kobe plays with rather than Kobe himself. It wasnt too long ago that the stats said the opposite. That when Kobe shoots more than 20, the lakers lose.

Agreed. Also how Kobe BB IQ has matured over the years to recognize these situations.

JamStone
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Each game is different and how well his teammates and the opposing team are playing will dictate his level of aggresssiveness as it pertains to shots taken. But, that's just like every other star in the league. There are times Kobe has to be aggressive, and there are times Kobe has to get his teammates more involved. I don't think you can just find a random number of shot attempts and draw the line down the middle. You also have to take into consideration free throw attempts and whether he's also mixing it up with dribble drives and post-ups, especially if his jumper isn't as great as it usually is. You also have to look at whether his three point shooters are making open shots. The other night against Denver, I believer Fisher was 0-for-4, Shannon Brown 1-for-8, and Sasha 0-for-5 or something like that as well as Artest and Odom missing a bunch of easy shots and even some lay-ups.

Kobe's great. But, regardless of what the numbers say, you cannot deny that at times he gets selfish and forces up shots when he needs to keep his teammates involved. That has been part of his personality and his game ever since he got into this league, whether or not he trusts his teammates. He loves the spotlight and he loves taking big shots. That won't change. But, that's why he is who he is, whether it means he's selfish one game or a hero in another. The numbers don't change that.

TheMACHINE
11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
what impresses me is the amount of free throws he's been taking to get to the 40 points..if i recall he only shot 5 yesterday and 3 the other game...while others need to get 18-20 ft to get 40.

mogrovejo
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
The sample size here is too small. The Bucks are 1-0 when Jennings shoots 34 times or more and 4-4 when he doesn't.

j.dizzle
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Haha he doesn't have to drive & bang up his body anymore to get points off free throws..just chill on the post for the next 5 years haha

jdev82
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Kobe shooting 20 times or less- Lakers 0-3

Kobe shoots 21 times or more- Lakers 8-0

Thought this was interesting as it has been debated that Kobe shooting 20+ times is counter-productive for Laker success. Perhaps this argument can now be settled, there is no magic number, and the stat may actually hold little actual value other than a simple degree of measurement.

Any thoughts from non-Lakers and Lakers fans alike?

what you need to look at is the numbers when he shoots 30 plus times. a "great" jumpshooter who shoots under 45 percent jacking up bad shots is detrimental to the team.

ginobili's bald spot
11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
It's an irrelevant stat and it always has been.

ginobili's bald spot
11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
what you need to look at is the numbers when he shoots 30 plus times. a "great" jumpshooter who shoots under 45 percent jacking up bad shots is detrimental to the team.

Kobe doesn't shoot under 45%.

JamStone
11-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Interesting.

I'm one who doesn't put much stock into these kinds of stats evalutions, but you probably should have looked up the numbers yourself before making your suggestion that he's jacking up bad shots and is being detrimental to his team.

Kobe has only taken 30 shots in a game twice this season.

19-for-30 (63.3%)
15-for-30 (50%)

Total: 34-for-60 (56.7%)

But I'm sure you meant in general when he takes a lot more shots than 20 FGA. He has two more games where he took 29 FGA each.

15-for-29 (51.7%)
17-for-29 (58.6%)

Total with the two 30 FGA games: 66-for-118: (55.9%)

How about we make the sample size just a little bit bigger so add one more game where Kobe took 26 FGA and didn't shoot the ball great.

11-for-26 (42.3%)

Add that to the other four games, so five games where he took at least 25 FGA: 77-for-144 (53.5%)

So when Kobe is jacking up all those bad shots and being detrimental to his team, he's shooting 53.5% from the field. Oh, the humanity.

Forget facts or stats, just make up stuff. Kobe haters will be Kobe haters.

This year, Kobe actually shoots 42.5% from the field in games where he takes less than 26 FGA. His "jacking up shots" actually helps his team this season so far. Edit: The Lakers won each of those five games where he took 26 or more FGA.

mogrovejo
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
http://gravityandlevity.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/braesss-paradox-and-the-ewing-theory/

If you’ve never heard of The Ewing Theory, please check out this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/010509a) by the always-hilarious Bill Simmons of ESPN.com. Simmons coined the term to describe the observation that the New York Knicks always seemed to play better when their best player, Patrick Ewing, was out. (Just to be pedantic, the “Ewing Theory” isn’t really a theory; it’s an observation. It should probably be called the “Ewing Paradox”).
My goal for this post is to give a plausibility argument for the Ewing Theory. I want to show that it is truly possible for a team to improve when their best player and primary offensive option is removed. What’s more, it can happen without any psychological effects (like the team being extra motivated to play hard without their star player). The answer has everything to do with the price of anarchy, and the fact that making the highest-percentage play every time down the court is not the same as playing your best possible game.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
This stat is just meaningless, period.

TinTin
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
From now on, I am taking a closer look at you JamStone

JamStone
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
From now on, I am taking a closer look at you JamStone

Can you wait until I'm fully dressed to use the telescope?

I can be a tad shy at first.

HarlemHeat37
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
These stats have always been irrelevant..it's dependent on way too many factors..

Kobe's a great player, top 10 all-time, and he's a snitching rapist..that summarizes him very well IMO, and that's what it should say on his tombstone when he dies, which will hopefully be soon..

BullsDynasty
11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
There's no I in "Team" but there's a I in "Win"........