PDA

View Full Version : No pumpkin pie this year? Noooooo!!!!

RandomGuy
11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
:depressed

Pumpkin shortage could mean empty shelves after Thanksgiving

Mother Nature may have sneaked off with a sought-after slice of Thanksgiving.

Recent heavy rains in the Midwest are putting pumpkin pie in short supply this holiday season. On Tuesday, food giant Nestle, which controls about 85% of the pumpkin crop for canning, issued a rare apology and said that rain appeared to have destroyed what remained of a small harvest this year and that it expected to stop shipping the holiday staple by Thanksgiving.

Supermarkets say supplies are tight, depending on the store.

Daymond Rice, a spokesman for Safeway Inc.'s Vons markets, said the chain had enough pumpkin to get through Thanksgiving. "However, we are concerned that we may not have enough -- or will not be able to acquire enough -- product to get through the full holiday season. It remains yet to be seen."

Albertsons said it believed it had enough of the canned pumpkin to last through Thanksgiving. It retails for $2.99 for a 29-ounce can. The grocery chain, a unit of Supervalu Inc., does not plan any shortage-related price increase.

The shortage affects the Libby's brand of 100% pumpkin in 15- and 29-ounce cans as well as Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix filling in a 30-ounce can.

Some chains have been pushing fresh pumpkins as alternatives. At various points during the shortage, Sprouts Farmers Market has featured displays of a smaller, plumper California-grown pumpkin species than what is sold for Halloween jack-o'-lanterns. A sticker with each pumpkin provides a recipe for turning it into pie.

But Sprouts spokeswoman Patti Milligan said the season for pie pumpkins "is pretty much over, and only a few of our stores still have them."

Shoppers are adapting to the shortage.

Amy Davis, a retired art teacher and swim coach from Anaheim, is figuring out new ways to make pumpkin bread. Usually she uses canned pumpkin but this year is using a packaged mix she found at Trader Joe's.

Davis also has figured out how to use other types of squash as a substitute. "Add some allspice and cinnamon and you get something that tastes pretty close to pumpkin," she said. She also said that sweet potato pie makes a good substitute.

Nestle says that once it runs out, it won't have more pumpkin to can until August, when the 2010 harvest starts. This year's shortage started several months ago and was the result of Libby's not having much surplus from the 2008 crop as a carry-over to sell in September. Nestle said in October that it expected the shortage to ease as the 2009 harvest got underway.

But heavy rains saturated the company's 5,000 acres of pumpkin fields in Morton, Ill., making it nearly impossible for tractors and other equipment to operate, Nestle said.

That will leave Libby's without any surplus to sell next fall while the 2010 crop matures and is processed. Libby's uses what it calls the Select Dickinson pumpkin. It is smaller, squatter, meatier, heavier and sweeter than the typical Halloween pumpkin. The company likes the creamy texture of the pumpkin because it lends itself to cooking.

Nestle issued a formal apology to bakers and posted alternative recipes for desserts such as Holiday-Spiced Baked Custard and Chocolate Satin Pie on its VeryBestBaking.com website.

"If only we could have changed the weather. We hope Mother Nature is nicer to us next year, hopefully delivering less rain and more sunshine," said Paul Bakus, vice president and general manager of Nestle Baking.

Acres of pumpkins sit unharvested in Morton, and the longer the fruit sits in the muddy fields, the more likely it is that the quality of the pumpkin has declined, the company said. Nestle executives believe it is degrading to the point where they will plow it back under the soil to be used as fertilizer for next year's crop.

-------------------------------

I live for pumpkin pie in the winter. It is my single favorite food, period.

The thought of getting caught short this year means I will be getting my ass down to HEB and hording the stuff, biyatches. Don't stand between me and my pie. :ihit

IronMexican
11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
That would suck.

Summers
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
:depressed

I live for pumpkin pie in the winter. It is my single favorite food, period.

The thought of getting caught short this year means I will be getting my ass down to HEB and hording the stuff, biyatches. Don't stand between me and my pie. :ihit

RG's not kidding. He's a freak for pumpkin pie. I've actually seen him eat an entire pie in one night. No Cool Whip. He's hard core. I may have to break out Granny's sweet potato pie recipe to get him through Christmas.

easjer
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I wish I could remember how much I need for my pie recipe. That is the only Thanksgiving thing I want - pumpkin pie.

atxrocker
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Pumpkin pie is disgusting.

Summers
11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I wish I could remember how much I need for my pie recipe. That is the only Thanksgiving thing I want - pumpkin pie.

It should be able to find a good recipe online. It's a pretty simple custard, iirc: pumpkin, condensed milk, egg (?), sugar, cinnamon, cloves (?). Wow, I'm helpful. :lol

Summers
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM

You're a pecan man, aren't you?

easjer
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
lol

I know. I just have a really good recipe at home. I think it's 2 cans, but I can't swear to it, nor can I remember which size cans (basically, I rock).

Worst comes to worst, I'll eat a frozen one.

MsMcGillyCutty
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I usually make cheese cake.

Summers
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
lol

I know. I just have a really good recipe at home. I think it's 2 cans, but I can't swear to it, nor can I remember which size cans (basically, I rock).

Worst comes to worst, I'll eat a frozen one.

I think it takes one Libby's can to make one pie, because you add in the milk and eggs and stuff.

For Thanksgiving? That ain't right.

MsMcGillyCutty
11-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Well, my family thinks it is right on!

Ingredients
Crust:

* 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 stick melted salted butter

Filling:

* 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
* 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
* 1/4 cup sour cream
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For crust:

In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Add melted butter. Press down flat into a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
For filling:

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, sugar and the spices. Add flour and vanilla. Beat together until well combined.

Pour into crust. Spread out evenly and place oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

It is Paula Dean's recipe and it is real, real good.

Bigzax
11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
homemade pumpkin pie cheesecake! :toast

easjer
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
When we host at our house, I make pumpkin pie, pecan pie and chocolate mousse.

We're not hosting this year though.

JudynTX
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Well that's going to suck. :(

katyon6th
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
This is horrible news. The holidays without pumpkin pie is like sex without an orgasm. It just ain't right!

Kori Ellis
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Yes, it's excellent!

We are actually going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year :lol So no cooking/baking for me.

phyzik
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Do any of you even know how Pumpkin pies are made?

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/chicoesquela/Punkinpie.jpg

Crookshanks
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie! I'm going to the store tonight - hopefully the shelves will be stocked.

katyon6th
11-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes, it's excellent!

We are actually going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year :lol So no cooking/baking for me.

Growing up I always thought going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving or Christmas meals was sacrilege. As I got older, I realized why some favored it. Clean up is a bitch.

Evil Angel
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Do any of you even know how Pumpkin pies are made?

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/chicoesquela/Punkinpie.jpg

That's good! :lol
And about what I think about pumpkin pie.

Kori Ellis
11-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Growing up I always thought going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving or Christmas meals was sacrilege. As I got older, I realized why some favored it. Clean up is a bitch.

Exactly. I love to cook and we have a maid now, so clean up shouldn't be horrible. But, going to a restaurant is still easier :) We are going to the Petroleum Club with LJ's family.

mookie2001
11-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Exactly. I love to cook and we have a maid now, so clean up shouldn't be horrible. But, going to a restaurant is still easier :) We are going to the Petroleum Club with LJ's family.

UH OH

kori and you wonder why the oscar dela crew thinks yall are cash chuckers, a maid?, like for cleaning? ROFLROFL even Dr. Regulator never had a maid

and then yall are going to the Haliburton Gables to eat with LJs family who are historically rich from a historical prospective and all went to Ivy league schools, historically speaking

SpursWoman
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM

We went to Tapatio Springs Country Club one year ... for $20 per person you got the traditional feast on a buffet, plus all kinds of appetizers .... caviar, and free-flowing champaign. It was pretty nice. :)

I'm cooking this year (again) ... I love cooking Thanksgiving. And, I already hoarded a bunch of cans of pumpkin because I'd heard of this before. User lives for it, too. :)

mookie2001
11-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Tappatio Springs Country Club http://funboxcomedy.com/uploaded_images/Head-explodes-big-761152.jpg

SpursWoman
11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I typo'd it ... fix it, dammit. :lol

SpursWoman
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
http://funboxcomedy.com/uploaded_images/Head-explodes-big-761152.jpg

Have you ever been to the grocery store and seen how much it costs to buy everything to COOK that dinner? $20 each was much cheaper .... and you got champaign & caviar included! Racist. :lol

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM

I agree, but just the pie, because I like everything else made with pumpkin. My TD specialty is pumpkin bisque----but I'll be eating out this year, so it's ix-nay on the bis-que ;)

Jekka
11-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, it's excellent!

My family has been doing that for the last 12 or so years - however, we have pretty much moved Thanksgiving food to Christmas since everyone felt gypped.

This year I'm stuck in Ann Arbor with several different projects to wrap up before graduation, so I may actually get to eat homemade Thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving :lol

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
85% huh? That is the same percentage of men that piss in their yards. I read up until 85% and that's it. Sorry.

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 03:39 PM
85% huh? That is the same percentage of men that piss in their yards. I read up until 85% and that's it. Sorry.

You have a problem with statistics?

ashbeeigh
11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
fatasses.

This is only in response to the eggo thread. I love me some pumpkin pie.

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
You have a problem with statistics?

No, why?

mrsmaalox
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
No, why?

Seemed like you were taking issue with the 85% claim.

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Seemed like you were taking issue with the 85% claim.

Nope, just throwing it out there that both threads had 85% of something.

Ginofan
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Bummer! My mother-in-law bakes a killer pumpkin cheesecake thing...I hope we still get to have one this year!

katyon6th
11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Bummer! My mother-in-law bakes a killer pumpkin cheesecake thing...I hope we still get to have one this year!

Hell yes!

At least we'll have the mini pecan pies. Goddamn those are good.

Ginofan
11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Hell yes!

At least we'll have the mini pecan pies. Goddamn those are good.

Thank the lord!

I could do without turkey on Thanksgiving as long as there's pumpkin cheesecake and mini pecan pies!

Dex
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I just ate some pumpkin pie because of this post.

I love Pie Day at work.

JudynTX
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
You better order those Pumpkin Pies from Bill Miller's soon. :lol

SpursBabe99
11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
RG's not kidding. He's a freak for pumpkin pie. I've actually seen him eat an entire pie in one night. No Cool Whip. He's hard core. I may have to break out Granny's sweet potato pie recipe to get him through Christmas.

LMAO!! No cool whip! That is hard core!! haha I freakin freakin looooooooove pumpkin pie but w/ extra extra cool whip!!

Dex
11-18-2009, 07:26 PM
LMAO!! No cool whip! That is hard core!! haha I freakin freakin looooooooove pumpkin pie but w/ extra extra cool whip!!

fHYYkZpZGjo

Kori Ellis
11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
UH OH

kori and you wonder why the oscar dela crew thinks yall are cash chuckers, a maid?, like for cleaning? ROFLROFL even Dr. Regulator never had a maid

and then yall are going to the Haliburton Gables to eat with LJs family who are historically rich from a historical prospective and all went to Ivy league schools, historically speaking

:lol I'm trying to stimulate the economy. So I am paying someone to clean the house once a week.

And LJ's brother went to Yale... no one else is an Ivy Leaguer.

Crookshanks
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
I went to Wal-Mart last night and got my pumpkin - so we'll have pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Oh - and they had turkeys for 33 cents a pound!

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I grow my own pumpkins.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2008/01/mroloff.jpg

CubanMustGo
11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
If you want pumpkin-flavored eggos, you're really gonna be screwed.

JudynTX
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
:lol I'm trying to stimulate the economy. So I am paying someone to clean the house once a week.

Mouse is working for you guys? :D

katyon6th
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
So, I just found out the real reason why there's a pumpkin shortage. Allstars is having a pumpkin pie wrestling contest. Fucking strippers!

JudynTX
11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
So, I just found out the real reason why there's a pumpkin shortage. Allstars is having a pumpkin pie wrestling contest. Fucking strippers!

Why couldn't they just use chocolate pudding?

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Why couldn't they just use chocolate pudding?

UUUHHHHH because it's the holidays hheeelllllloooooo

Strike
11-19-2009, 02:13 PM

My mom makes a pumpkin pie, a pecan pie, and a pumpkin cheesecake every year.

Words cannot express the awesome.

JudynTX
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
UUUHHHHH because it's the holidays hheeelllllloooooo

What? You've never had a chocolate cream pie for Thanksgiving? pfffft

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 03:34 PM
What? You've never had a chocolate cream pie for Thanksgiving? pfffft

Well if it has boobs in it I would have it just because it's Thursday.

JoeChalupa
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I'll actually be having zucchini bread.

SpursWoman
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Pumpkin pie is okay ... it's not my favorite but I like it.

I really like the pumpkin cheesecake, and I LOVE Paula Deen

But if you like cheesecake, and love pecan pie (my favorite) ... here's another Paula recipe that is freaking amazing:

Mystery Pecan Pie

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/04/14/PA1C25_29029_s4x3_med.jpg

Topping:

3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pie:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 un-baked deep-dish (9-inch) pie shell
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

Directions

Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg until combined. Pour into pie shell. Top with chopped pecans. Pour topping over pecans. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

OMG.

marini martini
11-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Pumpkin pie is okay ... it's not my favorite but I like it.

I really like the pumpkin cheesecake, and I LOVE Paula Deen

But if you like cheesecake, and love pecan pie (my favorite) ... here's another Paula recipe that is freaking amazing:

Mystery Pecan Pie

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/04/14/PA1C25_29029_s4x3_med.jpg

Topping:

3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup

Pie:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 un-baked deep-dish (9-inch) pie shell
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

Directions

Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg until combined. Pour into pie shell. Top with chopped pecans. Pour topping over pecans. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

OMG.

OMG that sounds awesome!!! I usually make a pecan pie that is a simple recipe, but I just might have to try this. :tu

EmptyMan
11-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I was raised on pumpkin pie, however I have found the light.

Pumpkin Roll. It is truly glorious my friends.

http://www.sallyleecandles.com/Pumpkin_Roll_Scent_of_the_Month.jpg