PDA

View Full Version : Just a General Job Search Question....

ashbeeigh
11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm applying to a lot of small organizations. This means a lot of my resumes are going directly to directors, admins and HR directors not the usual auto reply "Thank you for sending in your resume."

What's the protocol when you get an e-mail from someone when you can tell that it's clearly a personal e-mail saying "Thank you for sending your resume. Have a great day." Or something to that effect?

Do you just leave it and assume it's something like an auto reply or do you take the extra step and respond by saying "Thank you for letting me know you received everything. If there's anything else you need let me know." Is that too eager and annoying?

This is something I haven't come across and I've found a wealth of job hunting websites and people...but this isn't one of things I've been able to answer....

katyon6th
11-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd be surprised if it truly is someone personally responding to your resume. HR directors don't have time to do that.

katyon6th
11-18-2009, 05:56 PM
But in the event that it is, respond. And if you don't hear back from them in a few days, follow up.

PM5K
11-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Do whatever you want to do, it's what makes you who you are. If you're eager and annoying then that's who you are. Maybe the HR boss is eager and annoying as well.

iilluzioN
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
you looking for a job? they are hiring at where I work...

PM me if interested.

I get 14.75/HR they let you know as many overtime as you want..

ashbeeigh
11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd be surprised if it truly is someone personally responding to your resume. HR directors don't have time to do that.

That's why it surprised me. It's happened twice so far. Once to confirm an appointment and a second time earlier this week to confirm the resume.

But in the event that it is, respond. And if you don't hear back from them in a few days, follow up.

In one specific instance, it's for a pretty large non-profit who I think is the Director of the San Antonio office. Thanks for letting me know it's not over stepping, Katy. I really don't want to even mess up a first impression that I haven't even made via e-mail.

ashbeeigh
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

PM me if interested.

I'm not sure if I could work with such a looker as yourself, illuzioN.

Jekka
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm applying to a lot of small organizations. This means a lot of my resumes are going directly to directors, admins and HR directors not the usual auto reply "Thank you for sending in your resume."

What's the protocol when you get an e-mail from someone when you can tell that it's clearly a personal e-mail saying "Thank you for sending your resume. Have a great day." Or something to that effect?

Do you just leave it and assume it's something like an auto reply or do you take the extra step and respond by saying "Thank you for letting me know you received everything. If there's anything else you need let me know." Is that too eager and annoying?

This is something I haven't come across and I've found a wealth of job hunting websites and people...but this isn't one of things I've been able to answer....

From my experiences both looking for internships this spring and for FT jobs after graduation, it can't hurt to follow up. It only has to pay off once for you get a job, after all. I've received a decent amount of positive feedback just for staying in touch and handwriting thank you notes after phone exchanges. Hopefully it will pay off for you to be applying with smaller organizations with whom you can actually follow up - all of my federal applications just float out there until I hear something from an automated system.

panic giraffe
11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
ok ash, i've been fired, quit, and hired from so many jobs i could write a book about the subject matter. i know that sounds bad considering i'm kinda young, but i also have about ten years of real work experience. even had a few job's where i did all the hiring. most of the time it wasat privately held companies, a few large corps, and while never a non-profit, i have a feeling that since your resume is going to a "hr manager, director, admin" and such that most of the large non-profits are being run more like a large corp's. so if they take the time to write you personally, and it's not an autodraft, by all means write back. nothing too touchy. just simple, and to the point about wanting to be there, without sounding desperate. do a little research about them, and use a specific example for ex. "...blah blah blah thanks for taking the time to read my resume blah blah blah i know that i would be the perfect fit for blah blah blah because [insert whatever it is they do here to the tune of "i know that you help blah get blah and as you saw in my resume i come from a background of blah"]add in a nifty thank you to the end and you're set.

secondly, (in an interview) never let them know off the bat that you're "in between jobs". no matter what. i don't care if they saw you pack up your shit on the news, make them earn that info. no one wants to hire someone that isn't working. who cares if it isn't your fault, it just reflects poorly. if you're as much of a rockstar as you should carry yourself into a interview to be, then there would be no reason to be out of a job. and if they do find out that you are unemployed let them know exactly why, but follow up immediately with something busy sounding that your doing now. like volunteering(esp in your career field this sounds nice), taking classes, teaching classes, writing a blog, whatever. just sound busy. would you really want to hire someone that is out of work and just eats eggo's all day watching cheaters instead of actively helping the community and finding work?

hopefully that helps a little.

ashbeeigh
11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
ok ash, i've been fired, quit, and hired from so many jobs i could write a book about the subject matter. i know that sounds bad considering i'm kinda young, but i also have about ten years of real work experience. even had a few job's where i did all the hiring. most of the time it wasat privately held companies, a few large corps, and while never a non-profit, i have a feeling that since your resume is going to a "hr manager, director, admin" and such that most of the large non-profits are being run more like a large corp's. so if they take the time to write you personally, and it's not an autodraft, by all means write back. nothing too touchy. just simple, and to the point about wanting to be there, without sounding desperate. do a little research about them, and use a specific example for ex. "...blah blah blah thanks for taking the time to read my resume blah blah blah i know that i would be the perfect fit for blah blah blah because [insert whatever it is they do here to the tune of "i know that you help blah get blah and as you saw in my resume i come from a background of blah"]add in a nifty thank you to the end and you're set.

secondly, (in an interview) never let them know off the bat that you're "in between jobs". no matter what. i don't care if they saw you pack up your shit on the news, make them earn that info. no one wants to hire someone that isn't working. who cares if it isn't your fault, it just reflects poorly. if you're as much of a rockstar as you should carry yourself into a interview to be, then there would be no reason to be out of a job. and if they do find out that you are unemployed let them know exactly why, but follow up immediately with something busy sounding that your doing now. like volunteering(esp in your career field this sounds nice), taking classes, teaching classes, writing a blog, whatever. just sound busy. would you really want to hire someone that is out of work and just eats eggo's all day watching cheaters instead of actively helping the community and finding work?

hopefully that helps a little.

I love you, kid. We need to get together sometime soon.

And it's not Cheaters. That's what you watch.

phyzik
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
If it seems like a real reply, generally I treat it as an auto reply. They got my info, if they are interested they will call and we can talk more. No need to flood their inbox with inane responses. You dont want to come across as desperate, it could affect how much they offer in regards to pay.

Leetonidas
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM

PM me if interested.

Say whaaat? I want that job...

ploto
11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
I have never gone wrong with a short, polite reply to any e-mail that I have received from anyone.