PDA

View Full Version : getting my wisdom teeth pulled friday

stretch
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
i only have the bottom 2 though. whats it like? how long does it take to recover? i always play football saturday afternoons. any chance i can still play and be fine?

exstatic
11-18-2009, 09:13 PM
i only have the bottom 2 though. whats it like? how long does it take to recover? i always play football saturday afternoons. any chance i can still play and be fine?

I'd skip this Saturday. Even if you feel OK, knocking the clot out and getting a dry socket is not worth one Saturday of football.

fraga
11-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Word...and don't forget...immediately...IMMEDIATELY after they're done...slap two ice packs on both sides of your face...and leave them there for at least 15 minutes...take a break...and periodically reapply throughout the evening...Saturday...you'll have no swelling and very little pain...

Shaolin-Style
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I didn't really feel much after mine were out. I just kept plenty of cotton in my mouth and switched it out when it got too soggy. I ate mostly macaroni and cheese, soft kind of stuff otherwise.

Wouldn't play football til the followup personally. Maybe you're a bad enough dude to save the president after removing your wisdom teeth though.

I. Hustle
11-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah it hurts...

if you're a bitch

iggypop123
11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
pulled? shouldnt be a big deal. i had the oral surgery since they didnt come out yet. procedure doesnt hurt, but once the numbness wears off shit those pills do the job. exepct i looks like you have 2 oranges inside your mouth

Udokafan05
11-19-2009, 12:46 AM
I would skip saturday also. Not really painful, but swelling can be really bad.

spursfan09
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
You are not supposed to get your blood pumping or else your blood clots will fall out and blood will squirt out of them into your mouth. Believe me I know.

TinTin
11-19-2009, 12:54 AM
I had 4 pulled the same day. You might be groggy a little bit which is natural. Just keep the cotton in (like shaolin said) until it stops flowing. I had mine pulled at 10 and at 6pm, I was fine. Went to school and everything. Physical sports is usually not recommended though.

I didn't experience any pain therefore didn't need the pain killers but your exp. might be different

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM

I take it you're having them done under a local? Well, it fucking hurts even with the jab, and it can be pretty traumatic, but the recovery is fine. Just make sure you don't smoke, or spit too much, or suck hard, or do anything strenuous for a few days (all those things can cause dry socket). So, no football till next week.

I had 4 wisdoms taken out last year under a general - that was cool, except getting one of them out cracked a molar, which I had out under local 3 weeks ago. Not fun at all, but the pain is over quickly and recovery was easy.

Oh, and listen to fraga. Icing works a treat. Get some hand towels, wet them, then freeze them. Perfect for wrapping around your jaw.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
im fkn pisssed atm after todays loss, i can do it for you for free....

CubanSucks
11-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Wow are these serious questions? Your doctor should have explained what you can and can't do. It wasn't so much pain as it was discomfort and annoyance. I bled for like 3 straight days and slept at an angle with gauze in my mouth. Just make sure to get plenty of hydrocodon and a lot of movies.

oh yeah PAY ATTENTION! No matter if you bleed for 1 day or 5, do NOT swallow ANY blood. Just keep a cup to spit it in. I swallowed a significant amount of blood thinking it was alright as long as I washed it down with water. The next day I had never been so sick before in my life.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Wow are these serious questions? Your doctor should have explained what you can and can't do. It wasn't so much pain as it was discomfort and annoyance. I bled for like 3 straight days and slept at an angle with gauze in my mouth. Just make sure to get plenty of hydrocodon and a lot of movies.

oh yeah PAY ATTENTION! No matter if you bleed for 1 day or 5, do NOT swallow ANY blood. Just keep a cup to spit it in. I swallowed a significant amount of blood thinking it was alright as long as I washed it down with water. The next day I had never been so sick before in my life.

The recovery pain is not bad unless you get a dry socket - all you need is codeine, or maybe even ibuprofen.

As for the swallowing blood, wow. I've never had that reaction from swallowing blood. Sure you didn't get an infection?

lebomb
11-19-2009, 05:34 AM

I hope them bitches are impacted and they have to use a jack hammer to get em out. Faggot T shirt fan. :toast

stretch
11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
pulled? shouldnt be a big deal. i had the oral surgery since they didnt come out yet. procedure doesnt hurt, but once the numbness wears off shit those pills do the job. exepct i looks like you have 2 oranges inside your mouth

well yeah they have to do the cutting and stuff actually because they are still kinda buried in there. the tip one of them has barely come out of the gums, but the other one is completely buried

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I take it you're having them done under a local? Well, it fucking hurts even with the jab, and it can be pretty traumatic, but the recovery is fine. Just make sure you don't smoke, or spit too much, or suck hard, or do anything strenuous for a few days (all those things can cause dry socket). So, no football till next week.

He can do one of the two since he doesn't spit.

leemajors
11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
don't drink anything carbonated, it'll pull the clots out as well.

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Don't chew on laffy taffy either... it will pull out the clots

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't play with fish hooks in your mouth... it'll pull out the clots

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Don't let a live octopus play in your mouth either... it'll pull out your clots.

mrsmaalox
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I must just be wimpy because having my wisdom teeth out was a pretty bad experience for me. :(

Basketballgirl25
11-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I had 4 wisdom teeth out, and pain killers became my friend

Slomo
11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Word...and don't forget...immediately...IMMEDIATELY after they're done...slap two ice packs on both sides of your face...and leave them there for at least 15 minutes...take a break...and periodically reapply throughout the evening...Saturday...you'll have no swelling and very little pain...

best advice!!!

Ice will prevent the swelling and that will reduce your recovery by a lot. When you start feeling the local anesthetic wearing out (for me it was like a couple of hours later) take a couple of over the counter pain killers, but not under any circumstances Bayer Aspirines (I would stear clear of other aspirine brands too) because they thin out the blood and that's not what you want when you basically have an open wound in your mouth.
Unless you do something really stupid you should be fine the next day, but I wouldn't do too much physical activities the first three days (I went swimming after three days and quickly realized it was a mistake).
Oh and the bottom ones are worse than the top ones.

MiamiHeat
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I got both of my lower ones pulled out on August of this year

1) Do not use a straw, and don't suck on any foods. It can ruin the blood clot in the wounds.

2) Eat jello and soups only for about a week. Make sure you rinse your mouth gently to remove any food residue from the mouth and wounds.

3) If you try and eat something other than soups or jello, make sure it is not something that could potentially get in the wound and get stuck there. Like rice, or bread crumbs. It will cause an infection and make you go back to the dentist for another surgery to remove it.

4) Buy oral washes like Oral-B. No, not listerine. but the ones you use after oral surgery, such as pulling your wisdom teeth out. It helps clean the wound of any food debri and keeps it from getting infected.

5) Make sure you get your dentist to explain everything. All Do's and Don'ts

monosylab1k
11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
well yeah they have to do the cutting and stuff actually because they are still kinda buried in there. the tip one of them has barely come out of the gums, but the other one is completely buried

If they're going to have to do all that, then definitely forget about football. Hopefully your doctor is as cool as mine was, and will give you a big ass bottle of Vicodin.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Im gettin 4 of mine pulled tomorrow as well

SpursWoman
11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
The recovery pain is not bad unless you get a dry socket - all you need is codeine, or maybe even ibuprofen.

I had all 4 out at the same time and didn't have dry sockets ... and the pain was worse than freaking child birth. Of course, mine didn't pop right out but had to be broken out bit by bit because I have a very hard jaw, apparently. He said that that was going to make it hurt worse than normal. And codeine doesn't work on me ... so thank God for my mom's box of tricks. :wow :lol

atxrocker
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
And codeine doesn't work on me ... so thank God for my mom's box

:wow:wow

SpursWoman
11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
:wow:wow

My brother and I are thankful for that, I guess, but she had this box full of prescription drugs that always seemed to be very well stocked ... to cure anything that ailed you. :lol

atxrocker
11-19-2009, 05:19 PM
:lol

iggypop123
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
dont do anything. football should be the last of your worries. work on avoiding infection

evi11emons
11-20-2009, 01:23 AM
I got my wisdom teeth pulled 3 months ago but I still haven't gotten all the feeling back in my tongue :depressed

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 01:04 AM
I had all 4 out at the same time and didn't have dry sockets ... and the pain was worse than freaking child birth. Of course, mine didn't pop right out but had to be broken out bit by bit because I have a very hard jaw, apparently. He said that that was going to make it hurt worse than normal. And codeine doesn't work on me ... so thank God for my mom's box of tricks. :wow :lol

Actually, I should have mentioned that for the week before they pulled mine I had non-stop migraine level pain (and even a hallucinatory fever for a few days) from the infected impacted tooth - tramadol, a synthetic opiate approximating oxicodone, didn't even touch the pain. I'm guessing that was the closest I'll get to birth-level pain, and anyone who has had a migraine can attest to how bad it is... imagine a non-stop week-long 10/10 migraine. So, the recovery may have been worse than I realised because, compared to that, the recovery was nothing. ;)

This thread just goes to show that pain from wisdom tooth extraction varies widely, and also LOOK AFTER YOUR TEETH! Any work on them hurts like a bitch, so respect them! :lol

The Reckoning
11-21-2009, 01:10 AM
the day i got my wisdom teeth pulled i smoked a pack of cigarettes and did some flips off the diving board because i couldnt pass up the opportunity to do cool shit while on pain killers. my face grew about four times its normal size.

one person even told me id be an ugly fat kid.
:depressed

Wild Cobra
11-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Glad after all these years, I still have all my teeth. I have one of those nice jaws, large enough to hold them all.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-22-2009, 04:26 AM
the day i got my wisdom teeth pulled i smoked a pack of cigarettes and did some flips off the diving board because i couldnt pass up the opportunity to do cool shit while on pain killers. my face grew about four times its normal size.

one person even told me id be an ugly fat kid.
:depressed

Future Darwin Award candidate.

Glad after all these years, I still have all my teeth. I have one of those nice jaws, large enough to hold them all.

Don't get complacent. I, too, have a large jaw, but those fuckers we call teeth have a life of their own. If they want to fuck with you, they will, and YOU WILL HURT. You've just been lucky up to now... :rollin

TimDunkem
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Just got mine taken out....How am I supposed to eat this milkshake and take this Vicodin with a swollen, bloody, gauze-filled mouth? :(

fraga
06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
No straws...for the love of god...NO STRAWS!!!

D-Wade #3
06-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I had 4 pulled, they didn't even numb me up....hurt like hell

marini martini
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Had to go to the hospital and have mine done in the operating room, due to a cyst being under my left lower. Good drugs!!!::toast Was swimming in Edge Falls a few days later!!!!.........................:tu

Sisk
06-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Do they not put you under for most wisdom teeth removals?

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Do they not put you under for most wisdom teeth removals?

If they're impacted, yes. They gave me an IV and I was out in seconds.

symple19
06-18-2010, 06:09 AM
afterwards, ask for valium by name

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Man, I have to get mine taken out soon. 2, maybe 4. They're not causing me discomfort but I have crowding. I'm really not lookin forward to it being that I found out it's better to get them out as early as possible. I hope they're not impacted. What kind of nickels and dimes are we talking about here? And if you didn't pay anything or something under $100, I'm very happy for you :D

hater
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm getting mine taken out next week!!!!!

why the fuck do they have to put me to sleep though? can't they use local?

looking forward to the painkillers though

Sisk
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I better not have to be put under.. I hate the thought of that immensely, might even tell them only to do local

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Going under is the only thing I'm kinda afraid of. I've never had surgery or anything like that and being in a suspended state is a bit unsettling for me.

Sisk
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Going under is the only thing I'm kinda afraid of. I've never had surgery or anything like that and being in a suspended state is a bit unsettling for me.

When I was in sixth grade I was put under but never thought of it.. Now that the thought comes to mind it's petrifying TBH

hater
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
When I was in sixth grade I was put under but never thought of it.. Now that the thought comes to mind it's petrifying TBH

It's not the going down that bother's me, it's the what if I don't wake up...

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm mainly concerned about that then the actual operation.

mrsmaalox
06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
They prefer to use general anesthesia because it's a brutal procedure and most people are wimpier than they think they are. You could probably request local only but they will try to discourage you. I had local, IV sedation and nitrous for mine----but I'm not sure what drugs my student dentist took, as we did the whole thing in her garage...

Sisk
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
It's not the going down that bother's me, it's the what if I don't wake up...

:lol exactly

I'm mainly concerned about that then the actual operation.

Me as well

Southwest Texas Fan
06-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Well prior to being discharged from the service I had all four done at once. The pain was significant for the first day and a half or so but subsided after about the second day. Of course I was given Tylenol 3 with codeine for pain so that helped out a bit. Good luck, but you will survive.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Hater, Viva, Sisk, are your teeth impacted? If they are then they'll have to put you under because they'll be cutting through gums to chip away at the teeth, and might have to cut out a bit of jaw bone. Don't worry though. They'll stick an IV in you, and (If you're a bigger guy they might give you nitrous, and local.I believe I had local as well but they gave it to me right after I was knocked out.) you won't feel a thing.

As soon as I got the IV, I started feeling light, and I was out. The procedure was over in an hour but it felt like minutes!

Unless they're hitting nerves, you shouldn't be in pain after surgery, maybe except for some soreness after wards.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know if they're impacted or not. I'm praying they aren't to avoid all that extra cutting. Plus I don't do needles that well.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 02:53 PM
If you can't see them they probably are. In which case you'll only be seeing one needle, and that'll be the IV.

Good luck!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
:wow I just checked. They're all showing but on my lower jar the farthest point of tooth is riiiiiiight there at the gumline. That might be messy. :depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 03:06 PM
True story:

I woke up during the process and felt them rip out my last 2 wisdom teeth.

Another fear of going under. Did you go to therapy for that. I saw a show when that happened during full fledged operations and most needed to go. Don't know if it applies to this level of surgery.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
:wow I just checked. They're all showing but on my lower jar the farthest point of tooth is riiiiiiight there at the gumline. That might be messy. :depressed
That sucks. I'm hoping for your sake you don't go under the knife with only local.

True story:

I woke up during the process and felt them rip out my last 2 wisdom teeth.
I'd be traumatized. :lol

z0sa
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Therapy? I was awake during my entire operation; they just used numbing shots, which were painful as hell in and of themselves. He didn't even use enough at first and had to inject more early in the operation after observing my wincing reactions. I was fully conscious until hours later, when the pills finally hit the spot and the pain had subsided enough for a nap.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Therapy? I was awake during my entire operation; they just used numbing shots, which were painful as hell in and of themselves. He didn't even use enough at first and had to inject more early in the operation after observing my wincing reactions. I was fully conscious until hours later, when the pills finally hit the spot and the pain had subsided enough for a nap.

Being awake and waking up in the middle of a procedure are two different deals here, I believe. I knew an old lady that had a root canal with no anaesthesia whatsoever.

z0sa
06-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Being awake and waking up in the middle of a procedure are two different deals here, I believe.

What's the difference? Both inhibit your pain receptors; one makes you also lose consciousness to avoid other discomfort.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, if you're under general in the first place then chances are his type of surgery was much more painful. They'll only give you local if they know you'll be able to handle it.

I had 8 cavities filled last week and had to get 8 shots plus one more on a cold sore near my mouth (ouch..), but it wasn't too bad like you said.

z0sa
06-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, if you're under general in the first place then chances are his type of surgery was much more painful. They'll only give you local if they know you'll be able to handle it.

I had 8 cavities filled last week and had to get 8 shots plus one more on a cold sore near my mouth (ouch..), but it wasn't too bad like you said.

Well, I'm operating on the presumption that both of us received a similar dental procedure, even if the painkillers were different.

In fact, I asked to be put under beforehand (of my wisdom teeth removals), and my dentist said it's unnecessary.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
True story:

I woke up during the process ...

As did I. Apparently, I sat up and grabbed the ortho's tie mid-procedure. I don't remember any of it, but there was a nice amount of blood all over my jeans.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm operating on the presumption that both of us received a similar dental procedure, even if the painkillers were different.

In fact, I asked to be put under beforehand (of my wisdom teeth removals), and my dentist said it's unnecessary.
Yeah, that's what I figured, and probably the case.

06-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that would definitely suck.

They got me back though. Dumb fucking tech thought she had cut all the stitches when I went back in for them to remove them.

She thought wrong.

Instant tears when she pulled on the stitches and the pain was obviously intense.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 03:44 PM
This ís definitely putting me at ease. :lol

06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
You're welcome.

Outside of the dumb bitch pulling on the stitches, I felt fine. Pain was minimal and I was good to go not long after.

My college roommate had three of his turn into dry sockets and one became infected. He looked like shit for almost a month.

I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
^ lol Really. I'm doing my best to not get a dry socket. I'm sipping drinks, chewing with my front teeth, letting the blood ooze out onto a rag instead of spitting, and trying my damnedest not to sneeze, or cough.

fraga
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
My top wisdom teeth were out...my bottom wisdom teeth were out but basically laying sideways...or diagnol...didn't get an IV...they just numbed the fuck out of it with shot after shot...was awake for the entire thing...he was actually really good and fast...didn't feel them come out at all...immediately after...the dental assistant threw two big ice packs on both sides of my face for a good 10-15 minutes straight...got home...took a couple of Tylenol...iced my face for the rest of the evening...pain was more annoying than anything...the next day...I was fine...even at McDonalds...

Remember...ICE...ICE...ICE...and you'll be fine...

z0sa
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
My top wisdom teeth were out...my bottom wisdom teeth were out but basically laying sideways...or diagnol...didn't get an IV...they just numbed the fuck out of it with shot after shot...was awake for the entire thing...he was actually really good and fast...didn't feel them come out at all...immediately after...the dental assistant threw two big ice packs on both sides of my face for a good 10-15 minutes straight...got home...took a couple of Tylenol...iced my face for the rest of the evening...pain was more annoying than anything...the next day...I was fine...even at McDonalds...

Remember...ICE...ICE...ICE...and you'll be fine...

Good advice, 'cept for that bolded bit at the end. :lol I personally couldn't even get anything remotely sticky (like chewed food) near my back gums for several days.

ploto
06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I actually preferred the one they had to cut out because I got stitches for it, as opposed to the one they were able to pull which they leave the big hole open.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
my widsom teeth came out fine, but one tooth gets infected like every 8 months for a week. Its hurting now, im thinking i should just get all of them yanked out. My bro said it shouldnt be too bad cuz it came out straight.

There are no advatrages to having wisdom teeth right? so i might aswell pull em?

manufan10
06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Do you have to pull your wisdom teeth? I've never had mine pulled, and I don't think I want to. :lol

TheMACHINE
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Do you have to pull your wisdom teeth? I've never had mine pulled, and I don't think I want to. :lol

just talked to my dentist and he said since im 29 already, i can just pull the tooth that is giving me trouble...no need to pull anymore than i have to at my age. He's charging me $150. I reckon that's not too bad.

TheMACHINE
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Got mine pulled earlier this morning. The injections hurt more then the yanking of the tooth. But im definately feeling the pain right about now.

This whole dry socket thing is scarying me cuz ive been spitting every few minutes. lol...and alreasy started rinsing. =X

koriwhat
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
stretch, hope you get an infection... good luck!

hater
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
well got mine pulled last friday. I went to sleep and woke up high and feeling nice.

no pain at all. Painkillers, icecream, weed and a little liquor to pass the first couple of days. :tu :tu :tu

I recommend going to sleep

The Reckoning
06-30-2010, 10:33 AM
wtf did this thread persuade everyone to go get their wisdom teeth pulled?

tlongII
06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I have all of my wisdom teeth and have never had a problem with them. Perhaps it's the reason I'm so smart?

hater
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
BTW, it felt weird not to have wisdom teeth anymore. Like I wasn't myself but some totally different human being.

IMO getting your wisdom teeth pulled changes your life completely. One day you are this regular homo-erectus walking around with 4 useless molars like your prehistoric ancestors, the next you are some kind of new hybrid-human who has gone through evolution, and has reached a new level of humanity

TheMACHINE
07-01-2010, 12:50 AM
BTW, it felt weird not to have wisdom teeth anymore. Like I wasn't myself but some totally different human being.

IMO getting your wisdom teeth pulled changes your life completely. One day you are this regular homo-erectus walking around with 4 useless molars like your prehistoric ancestors, the next you are some kind of new hybrid-human who has gone through evolution, and has reached a new level of humanity

that...or its fun playing with a new hole in your mouth with your tongue. :lol

manufan10
07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
wtf did this thread persuade everyone to go get their wisdom teeth pulled?

Nope, I'm keeping mine. :lol

Jimcs50
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
why is this thread still up?

EmptyMan
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
you get sedated, you get operated on, you are sore for awhile, and then you are 100% eventually

It's just like every other operation. People make a big deal out of wisdom teeth for nothing.

It's a good practice run for calf tat operation though. :toast

koriwhat
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
you get sedated, you get operated on, you are sore for awhile, and then you are 100% eventually

It's just like every other operation. People make a big deal out of wisdom teeth for nothing.

It's a good practice run for calf tat operation though. :toast

everyone's a fuckin' comedian these days... i mean carlos mencia and dane cook can get jobs in LA posing as comedians so why not everyone else especially here on ST? go get 'em!

monosylab1k
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
everyone's a fuckin' comedian these days... i mean carlos mencia and dane cook can get jobs in LA posing as comedians so why not everyone else especially here on ST? go get 'em!

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
wish me luck. i'm goin' in. :depressed

Sisk
03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Are you going under, twilight, or just numbing it?

RobSM64
03-26-2011, 11:39 AM
ohtaCich0co

:lol

fraga
03-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I still have never understood why you would need to get sedated just for your wisdom teeth...just get the damn numbing shots...sheesh..

Sisk
03-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I still have never understood why you would need to get sedated just for your wisdom teeth...just get the damn numbing shots...sheesh..

I haven't had mine taken out but plan on doing it this way.. is this how you did it?

jeebus
03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I've had a total of 8 teeth taken out, once they put me under and once they just numbed the areas. I liked them both; when I was put under(wisdom teeth), it goes by super fast and wake up feeling great. When just numbed up(other messed up teeth), they pumped me full of wonder drugs and I was amazed at the stuff they were pulling out while they were tugging the crap outta my mouth.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Wisdom teeth usually require more than just local anesthetic (numbing med) because most of them are more complicated than a routine tooth extraction. If the wisdom tooth is vertical and fully erupted through the jawbone and gum, it would be a routine extraction and easy to do with local anesthetic. But the reason wisom teeth require removal in the first place is because they cause so many problems because they aren't vertical, are not erupted, or are just partially erupted----which requires quite a bit of chipping at bone and cutting away of skin. The more complicated your situation is, the more anesthesia is required. Most people don't care to have surgical procedures without it :lol

fraga
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I haven't had mine taken out but plan on doing it this way.. is this how you did it?

I had all four taken out...the bottom 2 were impacted...practically laying down sideways...the doc asked which I preferred...I said just give me the shots...didn't feel it was necessary to go under...that first day was annoying with pain...second day was fine...

Jekka
03-26-2011, 01:39 PM
I had twilight with mine this last September, and it was awesome. I vaguely remember hearing drilling (they had to break up some of my roots) and was happy that I was drugged up enough to not care.

cherylsteele
03-26-2011, 09:07 PM
They sound impacted like mine were, those take time to heal....at least they were for me, plus my roots were calciated to the jaw on a couple which made the experience even worse.

Codeine will be yor friend.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Well I made it and it was a success. I was given nitrous then an IV cocktail. Don't remember anything except then say "go ahhhhhh". Hopefully it was some dental instrument they put in my mouth. Mine were fully erupted and from the time I got in the chair then led to the car, 44 minutes had passed. I was somewhat with it. Really didn't and still don't feel any pain. I bled for a couple of hours but that's about it. I feel I really don't need the hydrocodone cuz I'm in no real pain. Yes, fraga, I probably could've gotten away with Novocain but I guess it's just normal procedure.

Anybody know the street value of hydrocodone? :D

cherylsteele
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Try EBay?
Or save for that special occasion/injury, when they may come in handy.

Good to see the procedure go well for you, my best advice like others have already mentioned, follow doctor's orders.

mrsmaalox
03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Well I made it and it was a success. I was given nitrous then an IV cocktail. Don't remember anything except then say "go ahhhhhh". Hopefully it was some dental instrument they put in my mouth. Mine were fully erupted and from the time I got in the chair then led to the car, 44 minutes had passed. I was somewhat with it. Really didn't and still don't feel any pain. I bled for a couple of hours but that's about it. I feel I really don't need the hydrocodone cuz I'm in no real pain. Yes, fraga, I probably could've gotten away with Novocain but I guess it's just normal procedure.

You probably did the right thing by getting put under. Local anesthesia is very good, but some people have the experience that SpursWoman had, yikes! The wisdom teeth pain itself was probably nothing compared to the pain of 27 injection sites :spless:

djohn2oo8
03-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah I had 4 of mine taken out about 2 years ago, only problem is the lazy bastards didn't numb me up enough, and I told them I felt everything they were doing, and they said it was just the pressure. That entire week sucked

Muser
03-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I had my top two taken out last year, didn't really hurt but was uncomfortable when the dentist just thought fuck it and kept yanking back and forth on it.

BlackSwordsMan
03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I've never had mine pulled is that a good thing?

BlackSwordsMan
03-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I had my top two taken out last year, didn't really hurt but was uncomfortable when the dentist just thought fuck it and kept yanking back and forth on it.

theres this group of guys who wear adidas and hoodies in the back of the pub and would gladly give you a proper shoeing next time you need some tef removed

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I've never had mine pulled is that a good thing?

Uh, well there's a lot to it. I'm in my mid-30's and they weren't really a problem, per se. It does help to get them out as soon as you can, 'cause it can lead to other problems. 25 is really the absolute latest.

resistanze
03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I had all four taken out in late January. They also used the N2O/IV sedation combo. When my face was numb for the first 4 hours afterwards, I thought I had my nerve damaged :lol

Not much swelling, ice packs helped a lot. Only took a couple of tylenol 3s, the pain was manageable.

The Reckoning
03-27-2011, 04:17 PM
pretty sure i said it earlier in this thread..but they just numbed mine and removed all four of them. gave me some codeine and out the door i went. it was the most painless "major" procedure ive had. my root canal was 100000x worse than that.

afterwards, i was smoking cigs and doing flips off a diving board...then my face grew three times its normal size. when i had my root canal, i developed terrible strep throat from the infection squirting out of my socket and couldnt eat anything for a couple of days. it sucked. that was only a numbing procedure too.

why would you want to be put under? thats retarded.

cherylsteele
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah I had 4 of mine taken out about 2 years ago, only problem is the lazy bastards didn't numb me up enough, and I told them I felt everything they were doing, and they said it was just the pressure. That entire week sucked
That is pretty much what happened to me. He kept drilling asking me if I felt it while I was neraly ripping the arms off the chair in pain.
He gave me valium 2-3 shots, and some laughing gas....I wasn't laughing at all.

I really don't trust dentists too much, if any, to this day for that reason.

cherylsteele
03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
pretty sure i said it earlier in this thread..but they just numbed mine and removed all four of them. gave me some codeine and out the door i went. it was the most painless "major" procedure ive had. my root canal was 100000x worse than that.

afterwards, i was smoking cigs and doing flips off a diving board...then my face grew three times its normal size. when i had my root canal, i developed terrible strep throat from the infection squirting out of my socket and couldnt eat anything for a couple of days. it sucked. that was only a numbing procedure too.

why would you want to be put under? thats retarded.
I guess alot may have to do with the ability of the dentist to execute the procedure.

Bender
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
i had my last one removed 2 months ago. Only pain I had was when they gave me the bill.

John Basedow
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
If your dentist asks "Is it safe?" then gtfo as soon as you can.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2011, 02:16 PM

$3?!?!!!!
That's it?!!

Oh well.

DeadlyDynasty
03-28-2011, 05:04 PM
$3?!?!!!!
That's it?!!

Oh well.

thispego would give you $10 a pop for them, tbh

The Gemini Method
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
I can get you anywhere from $10-$15 depending on the dosage...there be desperate peeps round here

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
thispego would give you $10 a pop for them, tbh

You serious, Clark?

Ive got the 750mg. M360 is imprinted on them. I have no need for them at all.

The Gemini Method
03-28-2011, 06:28 PM
You serious, Clark?

Ive got the 750mg. M360 is imprinted on them. I have no need for them at all.

$5-$10 moved...on some suburbanite party hipster...trust.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
$5-$10 moved...on some suburbanite party hipster...trust.

Huh?

The Gemini Method
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
You could sell those for $5-$10 a pill esp. to the suburbanite hipster out here. That's what I said in a more brief posting.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Ahh cool. The "moved" threw me.