PDA

View Full Version : Time to see some Hairston...

urunobili
11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok so Manu won't be back at least tonight and probably a couple more games if not more...

I think we should see what we got in Hairston...

I hope Pop agrees... any of y'all do?

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Anything is better than Mason

mytespurs
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Gino is out???!!!:wow :depressed

What is it-the hamstring??

benefactor
Right now Pop is busy with the Finley/Mason trade off.

Seriously...if we are going to do this then just fucking cut Hairston and let him go somewhere where he does not have to watch shit players play ahead of him.

HarlemHeat37
I would hope Hairston will get a shot to prove himself in these next few weeks..there's no reason he shouldn't..

Manu shouldn't be rushed back at all, he's way too fragile..

We've watched Wes Matthews, Bayless, Sonny Weems, and other random players have an impact for stretches against us so far..it's sad..

The Truth #6
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
With Manu out and RMJ still looking for his shot it makes sense to give Hairston a shot. Or Pop could just play Finley all those minutes instead. Hmmm...I wonder what will happen?

NZ Spurs
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
What do you guys think Hairston is going to provide? Do you think he will magically improve the chemistry and ball movement? Do you expect him to put up 30 points? Whats the fascination?

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 11:07 PM
One can only hope Pop will allow Hairston some minutes.

antimvp
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Definitely!

The Truth #6
11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
He played well out there and got to the rim like usual. In OT I don't know why Bogans didn't get more time on defense. Oh well, great game. Almost. Tim is a hero like usual.

MaNu4Tres
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Would love to see Hairston get significant minutes next game but it probably won't happen if Parker returns.

Austin_Toros
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
is Hairston the golden child now?
yes, i would like to see him play also.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
So he plays for 5 minutes, and does a good job..he had a poor traveling call against him..then he doesn't see the court again..

Hairston defended Terry well on 2 possessions, and even grabbed a board right after making Terry miss on a J..he scored in the paint..the other time he had the ball, he attacked the rim..those sequences alone should get him minutes over Roger Mason right now..

We desperately need energy players..Manu's going to be out for a while..just give the guy a shot..

loveforthegame
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Finley is clearly playing better than Mason.

If Parker and/or Ginobli are going to miss some time then Hairston should get everyone of Mason's minutes.

Darkwaters
11-19-2009, 01:04 AM
is Hairston the golden child now?
yes, i would like to see him play also.

Hairston is the new Mahinmi. I guess it's time to start the "Hairston would be starting if we didn't waste time on guys like Richard Jefferson and Manu Ginobili" threads.

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 01:04 AM

...which is a terrible indictment on Mason, seeing as he's about 8 years younger than FinDog.

Johnny RIngo
11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Mason doesn't even look like an NBA player anymore so I'm all for giving Hairston all of is minutes.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Hairston is the new Mahinmi. I guess it's time to start the "Hairston would be starting if we didn't waste time on guys like Richard Jefferson and Manu Ginobili" threads.

or you know, Finley or Mason..

-Hairston actually looked good in his NBA time last year..
-Hairston was great in SL..
-Hairston was one of the top players on the team in preseason, and that's counting the entire roster..

He's not Mahinmi..

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I do like what I saw from Hairston. While he's not a fake imitation of a backup PG, or a struggling 3-pt shooter, Hairston can bring energy, scoring, defense and some better rebounding from the 2 spot. I wish Pop would drop his "old, player bias" and his "young player prejudice" and allow this kid some minutes.

Carlisle doesn't really like rooks either, but Beaubois has impressed the coach so much that he was forced to find minutes for him. Even starting him a few. I wish Pop would get over it and play the better players, based upon matchups. Every old player isn't crafty and trusty; and every young player doesn't automatically deserve pine time.

Ditty
11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
i would start hairston seriously for the rest of the season

mesothorny
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM

If Parker and/or Ginobli are going to miss some time then Hairston should get everyone of Mason's minutes.

who's gonna play backup point?

ElNono
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Don't know about you guys, but I need more Mason...

J/k

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I sign off on this notion. It's about time

mystargtr34
11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Pop will just go out and try and find a veteran to replace Manu. Maybe he should try bring Eddie Jones out of retirement.

God forbid playing a fucking youngster who coul develop into something.

Ditty
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM
we should of took caron butler when we had the chance damn

loveforthegame
11-19-2009, 01:19 AM

I don't know but guys like Bogans, Hairston, or even RJ couldn't do worse than Mason.

mesothorny
11-19-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't know but guys like Bogans, Hairston, or even RJ couldn't do worse than Mason.

just because mason doesn't seem to be a long-term answer doesn't mean these guys would do any better at PG. something as seemingly simple as bringing the ball up the court against a fiesty little Barea would be a total disaster with any of these three guys running the show.

again, i'm not saying mason is the answer. but with tony AND manu out, mason was the clear choice for significant minutes.

if mason continues to crap all over any chance he gets, he'll deserve to get traded.

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
So he plays for 5 minutes, and does a good job..he had a poor traveling call against him..then he doesn't see the court again..

Hairston defended Terry well on 2 possessions, and even grabbed a board right after making Terry miss on a J..he scored in the paint..the other time he had the ball, he attacked the rim..those sequences alone should get him minutes over Roger fucking Mason..

We desperately need energy players..Manu's going to be out for a while..just give the guy a shot..

I'd also add that Roger, check that, Anthony Mason, Jr. attempted to posterize someone off the dribble, and in the half court, upon Hairston's entry.

If that's not a rub-off effect, I don't know what is. :smokin

Of course Malik needs to play. He's one of the Spurs' best defenders, he rebounds his position well, and he brings energy and the potential to make broken plays good plays. He's very adept at hitting the seams off the ball for dive-cuts, he finishes at the rim, and he also draws fouls and gets to the line.

He's a hard-nosed, dirty-workin', energy-bringin', basketball-playin' sonbitch; I fail to see how the Spurs couldn't use him..

If Pop's going to play two perceived similar players on the wing, I'd prefer it be Bogans and Hairston and not Mason and Finley.

It should be Mason or Finley.

mesothorny
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I'd also add that Roger, check that, Anthony Mason, Jr. attempted to posterize someone off the dribble, and in the half court, upon Hairston's entry.

If that's not a rub-off effect, I don't know what is. :smokin

Of course Malik needs to play. He's one of the Spurs' best defenders, he rebounds his position well, and he brings energy and the potential to make broken plays good plays. He's very adept at hitting the seams off the ball for dive-cuts, he finishes at the rim, and he also draws fouls and gets to the line.

He's a hard-nosed, dirty-workin', energy-bringin', basketball-playin' sonbitch; I fail to see how the Spurs couldn't use him..

If Pop's going to play two perceived similar players on the wing, I'd prefer it be Bogans and Hairston and not Mason and Finley.

It should be Mason or Finley.

so who should run backup point tomorrow?

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:45 AM
The cuts are the best part..

When Bonner had the ball on the wing, Hairston actually CUT TO THE BASKET through the middle, got it, and scored..he actually cut to the basket in traffic..NOBODY else does that on this team without the ball..

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 02:30 AM
Movement off the ball..

It's a strange, foreign, and turns out useful tool.

It's just so painfully obvious what he's capable of and how it compliments the better players on the team.

I just can't understand why he's buried at the end of the bench; especially at the early stages of a long season when you've got an older team.

Play the young fella's next to your stars, get back in a defensive-groove/mindset, and build the offense off that base as the season goes. I almost feel like Pop just needs to cut his rotation to the 8 or 10 players he feels can lock down a team and once they've built some decent cohesiveness, add a player or two to the mix. Right now it just looks like a lot of moving parts and the puzzle's picture is unknown.

Find your base, the pieces that give you the best vision of the final picture, and once you begin to see it take form, the others will see where and how they fit in; if that makes sense..

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs have played some of their best ball when they've been short-handed.

Borosai
11-19-2009, 03:00 AM
One thing I'm tired of seeing is Mason and Finley on the court, at the same time, with Mason playing the point. Seriously. Why?

Play them both if you'd like, but not at the same fucking time. Play Hairston instead.

kthxpop!

celldweller
11-19-2009, 03:01 AM
One thing I'm tired of seeing is Mason and Finley on the court, at the same time, with Mason playing the point. Seriously. Why?

Play them both if you'd like, but not at the same fucking time. Play Hairston instead.

kthxpop!
Totally Agree. Give the young man a chance!

jjktkk
11-19-2009, 03:59 AM

Bad comparison. Harrison definietly has some skills and gots what Mahimni doesn't. Bball smarts. Plus Mahimni's other problem is that hes injury prone. I could see Hhairston getting some of Mason's minutes and Ginoboli's, until Manu returns. Hope Hairston makes the most of his oppurtunities.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Hairston has got to be better than Finley. He is so damn slow on D.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 06:54 AM

I'd rather see TD playing PG than Mason

ThaiFanofSpurs
11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Don't understand Pop and his theory sometimes (a lot of times.) Hopefully, he will play Hairston more from now on. Don't be too stuborn! Listen to other people's comments too... Please Pop... please.

ThaiFanofSpurs
11-19-2009, 07:34 AM
I'd rather see TD playing PG than Mason

I hope Pop will give up the play for Mason at the PG soon. It's not working and does not look like it's gonna work soon.

TJastal
11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Great game by Hairston. Would have been better had it not been for the highway robbery at the hands of one of the refs.

That was a terrible traveling call by the black ref not sure which one it was (either Capers, McCutcheon, or Richardson). He caught the ball took one dribble ALONG WITH A STEP AT THE SAME TIME WHICH LAST TIME I CHECKED IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO DO, set himself after that step and launched up for the layup. I swear, some of these "veteran" refs are no better than the refs they replaced.

I think the NBA really needs to get an instant replay system going where coaches can challenge a call just like in the NFL. You lose the challenge then you got charged a timeout just like NFL. But at least then a team would have some recourse to these awful calls that can hugely impact a close game.

As for Hairston.

I really have no idea why Popovich didn't give this guy a chance from the very beginning, especially after a great summer league and pre-season. He plays well on both sides of the ball and can give the spurs energy and hustle.

Memo to Pop:

Finley is older than dirt.
RMJ cannot play defense.
Bogans is limited offensively.

Pop's basically already stunted this kid's confidence and growth and is only playing him now because of injuries. It's really a shame this kid will see limited minutes and then go back to the bench once Ginobili returns.

It is a tribute to Hairston that he can come into an playoff intense game like this after a chunk of the season of riding the bench and still find ways to be a productive basketball player.

Bender
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
are people still saying "mason is still looking for his shot"?. He looked like the worst player in the NBA last night. Does he even care anymore?

I'd like more hairston too. What's the point of having these players if you don't even play them. Isn't the beginning of the season a good time to give these guys some experience?

RMJ cannot play defense.
he can't play anything anymore. Or he doesn't care...