PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here think Pop has lost his love for coaching?

BadOne
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
A friend of mine is always telling me that Pop quits in games that the Spurs are actually capable of winning. He pulls starters before the deficit becomes truly insurmountable. He has no patience to develop new players, he doesn't have that fiery cuss and yell attitude that we all remember. He calls time outs not when the lead begins to dwindle, but when its already gone.

After watching tonight’s performance, I'm starting to wonder if any of that might be true. I know we had guys out, but so did they. I mean come on, Rick Carlisle? Seriously? At this point, if Isaiah Thomas were coaching that team, and Pop coached the way he did today, I might almost say he still would've been "outcoached" as another member posted.

I'm tired of staying up late for this team only to be disappointed, but this is the first time I ever gave any true thought to my friend's suggestions that Greg Popovich no longer has the drive to coach and develop.

I know its just one game, but the Spurs are not looking good for a team that a lot of people considered the best team to challenge the L.A. Lakers. I just wonder if what my buddy says might be true, and Pop only cares about winning rings but not coaching any more, why doesn't he just stay a VP for the team and hire a coach with attitude like Avery Johnson.

I know people here have mixed feelings on Avery because of his last coaching gig, but it was Dirk and his lack of leadership that made his team choke. That, and Cuban's Jerry Jones like antics. Oh well, I know its a long season, and like most, after a tough loss, I can write some stuff outta shear emotion,:pctossbut over all I wanted your opinions on whether you believe Pop really gives a damn anymore.

One...

SpurmzKilla
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
A friend of mine is always telling me that Pop quits in games that the Spurs are actually capable of winning. He pulls starters before the deficit becomes truly insurmountable. He has no patience to develop new players, he doesn't have that fiery cuss and yell attitude that we all remember. He calls time outs not when the lead begins to dwindle, but when its already gone.

After watching tonight’s performance, I'm starting to wonder if any of that might be true. I know we had guys out, but so did they. I mean come on, Rick Carlisle? Seriously? At this point, if Isaiah Thomas were coaching that team, and Pop coached the way he did today, I might almost say he still would've been "outcoached" as another member posted.

I'm tired of staying up late for this team only to be disappointed, but this is the first time I ever gave any true thought to my friend's suggestions that Greg Popovich no longer has the drive to coach and develop.

I know its just one game, but the Spurs are not looking good for a team that a lot of people considered the best team to challenge the L.A. Lakers. I just wonder if what my buddy says might be true, and Pop only cares about winning rings but not coaching any more, why doesn't he just stay a VP for the team and hire a coach with attitude like Avery Johnson.

I know people here have mixed feelings on Avery because of his last coaching gig, but it was Dirk and his lack of leadership that made his team choke. That, and Cuban's Jerry Jones like antics. Oh well, I know its a long season, and like most, after a tough loss, I can write some stuff outta shear emotion,:pctossbut over all I wanted your opinions on whether you believe Pop really gives a damn anymore.

One...

Pop doesn't care and that's a face. It's plain to see by anyone not a delusional Spurm fan. He knows the fans suck even worse than his old team executes. He says, "why give a shit when we're just gonna get FUCKED UP by the Lakers"

Truth Hurts Everyone

Laker Nation

timvp
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
:lol OMG.

EricB
11-19-2009, 12:58 AM
The new posters here suck.

Kori Ellis
11-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Bad one.

Libri
11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Wasn't this locked?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Dude Pop played Dirk straight up the ENTIRE GAME NO EXCEPTIONS, allowed him to Kobe himself to 41 points, and we still would have won the game had not for the uncoachable:

missed high percentage shots and assymetric foul calls in the final minutes.

GMAFB, Pop's gameplan would be hailed as genius had this shit gone down.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 01:02 AM
i know last season in the playoffs he didnt give a shit

but hey love is love...

mesothorny
11-19-2009, 01:02 AM
That's kinda stupid but mostly retarded.

Budkin
11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Pathetic.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 01:07 AM
i bet yah he doesnt give a shit what we think

his probably sitting back enjoying his fine whine with 2 guys in each arm.....

Velo
11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
At one point Timmy took over in the Huddle for Pop. Tony is running the Offense. CIA Pop is making plans to spread his Seed over the NBA. Then he'll Overthrow Stern and Liberate the NBA. At least that is how it plays out in my mind. XD

BadOne
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Well aside from the Laker douche, the thread really is just asking your whether you believe Pop has that fire anymore...

Kori, sorry to disappoint. Clever post though.

rayray2k8
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
You noobs crack me up.. Go jump off a bridge.

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
What is this I don't even

superbigtime
11-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Pop is an emotionless, wry, sardonic and sterile above-it-all God-complex who loves nothing. Please retire asshole.

mesothorny
11-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Pop is an emotionless, wry, sardonic and sterile above-it-all God-complex who loves nothing.

That's why I love him!:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Dude Pop played Dirk straight up the ENTIRE GAME NO EXCEPTIONS, allowed him to Kobe himself to 41 points, and we still would have won the game had not for the uncoachable:

missed high percentage shots and assymetric foul calls in the final minutes.

GMAFB, Pop's gameplan would be hailed as genius had this shit gone down.

Winner.

spurs1990
11-19-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't know if the OP is refering to this, but in overtime the after Hill missed the 3 pointer with 38 seconds left, the Spurs elected not to foul and essentially conceded the game even though the score was 91-97.

Down by 6 points with 38 seconds left? Don't foul? Let the other team run the clock out?

I'm thinking Pop doesn't give a shit about these early games. I'm starting to share the same sentiment.

sabar
11-19-2009, 03:14 AM
I don't know if the OP is refering to this, but in overtime the after Hill missed the 3 pointer with 38 seconds left, the Spurs elected not to foul and essentially conceded the game even though the score was 91-97.

Down by 6 points with 38 seconds left? Don't foul? Let the other team run the clock out?

I'm thinking Pop doesn't give a shit about these early games. I'm starting to share the same sentiment.

Those situations are unwinnable 99% of the time, especially when the other team has a very very good clutch FT shooter.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Pop is just toying with the lineups and hoping to keep people healthy. He isn't doing a very good job with the second part, but I wouldn't blame him.