PDA

View Full Version : Don't wanna hear it

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
This was a great game. Spurs actually played well with what they had. The Spurs held Dallas to what, 40% shooting for the game? That's pretty good defense on a team that came into this game salivating for revenge.

Obviously though, we had some bad points. The main one is out of their control and they did the best they could. We had one true point guard tonight and he sat early with bad fouls. When Mason jr. took over the pg duties, it was pretty significant how poorly we played. The other bad point is the lack of boxing out in the paint. We have the tools to do it, it just didn't get done.

I don't know why so many people demand "justice" or say the Spurs are done. We played a great team without two of our big three and we took them to overtime and had opportunities to win. Our guys had a lot of mental errors, but again, we were still in a position to win.

There's no need to be upset about this one, it was a great effort and there were a lot of good things to take away from it. :flag::flag:

Malik Hairston sighting!!

jj1194
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
except 19 turnovers!!! but yes i agree...

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Dallas was without 3 of their starters, 2 of them former All-Stars...not much of a moral victory to take from this.

crc21209
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Dallas was without 3 of their starters, 2 of them former All-Stars...not much of a moral victory to take from this.

Tony & Manu's affect on the Spurs > Marion & Dampier's on the Mavs.

JustinJDW
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
this was a great game. Spurs actually played well with what they had. The spurs held dallas to what, 40% shooting for the game? That's pretty good defense on a team that came into this game salivating for revenge.

Obviously though, we had some bad points. The main one is out of their control and they did the best they could. We had one true point guard tonight and he sat early with bad fouls. When mason jr. Took over the pg duties, it was pretty significant how poorly we played. The other bad point is the lack of boxing out in the paint. We have the tools to do it, it just didn't get done.

I don't know why so many people demand "justice" or say the spurs are done. We played a great team without two of our big three and we took them to overtime and had opportunities to win. Our guys had a lot of mental errors, but again, we were still in a position to win.

There's no need to be upset about this one, it was a great effort and there were a lot of good things to take away from it. :flag::flag:

Malik hairston sighting!!+1.

dirk4mvp
11-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Damp obviously the other guy he was talking about :tu

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

The game was only this close because Josh Howard wasn't around to take a shit on us like he usually does...

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

I didn't say it was a moral victory. They're missing two all-stars, and so are we. Regardless, we took them to overtime. Right now, they're a better team than us, that much is obvious, correct?

I'm saying that even if it's a tired cliche, saying that this team is a work in progress is right on the money. Tonight, we saw some good things out of that work in progress.

Sorry, but I don't judge this team on 9 games. I'll wait till 100 games are played

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Damp obviously the other guy he was talking about :tu

:lol:lol:lol I'll admit I lol'ed

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:03 AM
The game was only this close because Josh Howard wasn't around to take a shit on us like he usually does...

On the flip side, the game was only this close because Manu got injured in the first quarter.
The game was only this close because Tony didn't play.
The game was only this close because of sun spots.
The game was only this close because of a butterfly in china beating it's wings.

Conjecture is stupid.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:07 AM
On the flip side, the game was only this close because Manu got injured in the first quarter.
The game was only this close because Tony didn't play.
The game was only this close because of sun spots.
The game was only this close because of a butterfly in china beating it's wings.

Conjecture is stupid.

If it was just 1 game, excuses could be a reasonable way to write off this loss...but not when we are 4-5 and 3 players in the regular rotation are horrendous (Finley, Mason, Bonner). There is no guarantees that this trend will get any better...

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Sorry, but I don't judge this team on 9 games. I'll wait till 100 games are played

The way this team is going, we will be damn lucky to get to 100 meaningful games this year...

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I blame this on myself..

I clubbed the baby seals and now we're all forced to suffer the repercussions.

I'm not sure how to right this wrong or how to lift this dark cloud of my team, but I'm sure I'll come up with something; sorry?

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I blame this on myself..

I clubbed the baby seals and now we're all forced to suffer the repercussions.

I'm not sure how to right this wrong or how to lift this dark cloud of my team, but I'm sure I'll come up with something; sorry?

:lol nice. Don't worry, the sun will eventually come out.

DubMcDub
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Tony & Manu's affect on the Spurs > Marion & Dampier & ___________'s on the Mavs.

Fixed it for you.

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM
If it was just 1 game, excuses could be a reasonable way to write off this loss...but not when we are 4-5 and 3 players in the regular rotation are horrendous (Finley, Mason, Bonner). There is no guarantees that this trend will get any better...

dude, 6-8..... just repeat that to yourself.... 6-8. When did you forget that the Spurs always start out slow?

The only one that's horrendous out of that aforementioned group is Mason, the other two have roles and they play those roles well.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:41 AM
dude, 6-8..... just repeat that to yourself.... 6-8. When did you forget that the Spurs always start out slow?

The only one that's horrendous out of that aforementioned group is Mason, the other two have roles and they play those roles well.

What about 6-8? The Spurs records through 10 games in the last 2 championship years was 8-2...what does 6-8 prove?

If their roles include playing terrible defense and not helping on the glass, Finley and Bonner are doing a bang up job...

NZ Spurs
11-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Agreed, great game. Its not as though the bridge jumpers were playing, most of them need a hobby or just get a life.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:45 AM
This was a great game, either team could have won it. But ultimately Dirk was just too good tonight.

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Dirk > Duncan tonight, which was the deciding factor. I just hope the Spurs could play defense like that when everyone is healthy, because they seem to slack off once they think their offense can beat everybody.

Bukefal
11-19-2009, 05:31 AM
We lost, but it was not awful and a very close game. We just miss TP, let's hope he gets back soon.

VivaPopovich
11-19-2009, 06:46 AM
yep

Hill/Finley/Jefferson/Duncan/McDyess were great out there

we just got outplayed by Dirk in OT

it happens

next time I'd like to see more Bogans in that closing lineup and i hope Malik becomes our spark plug off the bench

hehe

Johnny RIngo
11-19-2009, 07:07 AM

Spurs have never been this injury prone though. It's wishful thinking to hope Ginobili will make it through the whole season when he has trouble staying fit for more than a few games at a time.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Dirk > Duncan tonight, which was the deciding factor. I just hope the Spurs could play defense like that when everyone is healthy, because they seem to slack off once they think their offense can beat everybody.

Actually, the deciding factor was Barea >>>>>>>>>>> Mason
And really, it can't happen.

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Actually, the deciding factor was Barea >>>>>>>>>>> Mason
And really, it can't happen.
I think all of us know Mason is not a backup PG and we needed to send some help in the backcourt to relieve Mason of the ball even for a moment. None of the Spurs helped Mason out in that situation. It is on the team. Other than that, Mason cut to the basket and got some easy hoops which was about the only positive I saw from Mason.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I think all of us know Mason is not a backup PG and we needed to send some help in the backcourt to relieve Mason of the ball even for a moment. None of the Spurs helped Mason out in that situation. It is on the team. Other than that, Mason cut to the basket and got some easy hoops which was about the only positive I saw from Mason.

Being a backup PG or not doesn't excuse him from playing piss poor defense. He never caught on with the guy he was guarding after a pick and roll, and honestly, it didn't even look like he was trying. The turnovers and overall offensive stinker he put out there where just icing on the cake.
But it's not his fault that he was playing after slacking out there. Just looking at the problems he had bringing the ball up, I would have just told Hairston to do that against Barea. Try it. It doesn't work? Go back to Mason. But you're doing a disservice to the rest of the team by playing a guy that obviously doesn't know and doesn't seem to care what defense is.

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Being a backup PG or not doesn't excuse him from playing piss poor defense. He never caught on with the guy he was guarding after a pick and roll, and honestly, it didn't even look like he was trying. The turnovers and overall offensive stinker he put out there where just icing on the cake.
But it's not his fault that he was playing after slacking out there. Just looking at the problems he had bringing the ball up, I would have just told Hairston to do that against Barea. Try it. It doesn't work? Go back to Mason. But you're doing a disservice to the rest of the team by playing a guy that obviously doesn't know and doesn't seem to care what defense is.
I didn't really see what Barea contributed for the Mavs. I am suprised he even had a +14. Mason flat out sucked on defense, that I agree. The turnovers made Mason even more negative, somehow I thought he wanted out of the game. He still has his weaknesses like going under a screen when the player he is guarding is a decent 3 point shooter. Frankly, I expected Mason to starting pissing his pants off and he was nothing but a shooter who now can't shoot. That said, I don't think Mason was even rated an ok defender in the 1st place and I want him out of the team as soon as the mythical 3rd PG is found.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I didn't really see what Barea contributed for the Mavs.

He was constantly penetrating the Spurs defense and finding the open man, burying open jumpers when Spurs defenders went under the screen and forced several Spurs into offensive fouls...he definitely contributed.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I didn't really see what Barea contributed for the Mavs. I am suprised he even had a +14. Mason flat out sucked on defense, that I agree. The turnovers made Mason even more negative, somehow I thought he wanted out of the game. He still has his weaknesses like going under a screen when the player he is guarding is a decent 3 point shooter. Frankly, I expected Mason to starting pissing his pants off and he was nothing but a shooter who now can't shoot. That said, I don't think Mason was even rated an ok defender in the 1st place and I want him out of the team as soon as the mythical 3rd PG is found.

What was infuriating to me was that it didn't look like he cared. Go back watch the game when he's playing. After losing his guy and his guy breaking down our entire defense and scoring, the guy just goes and waits for the inbound like nothing happened. You gotta have a little pride out there. :pctoss

greensborohill
11-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Really?

Give it a break. You guys lost.

Josh killed you guys in the playoffs last year.

Dampier is the main defender on Duncan.

And Marion is Mr. Easy Baskets.

It's equal. I'm not gonna sit here and say they are MORE important, but they're 3 starters on a contending team versus your two starters (Manu is basically a starter).

For you to say that Manu & TP's impact is greater is just homerisim at its best.

modtxspur
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I think the refs won the overtime. Dirk got two three point plays, one of which no one even touched him (he did yell und eins though, which is apparently german for blow your whistle infidel). What about the errand pass by kidd that duncan got called for a foul on. dirk just moaned and the refs blew their whistle. I think that we were lucky to be in overtime, b/c we played horrible but we got robbed in OT.

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
What was infuriating to me was that it didn't look like he cared. Go back watch the game when he's playing. After losing his guy and his guy breaking down our entire defense and scoring, the guy just goes and waits for the inbound like nothing happened. You gotta have a little pride out there. :pctoss
That was why I said he looked as if he wanted out of the game, maybe the team. Time to trade his ass.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
That was why I said he looked as if he wanted out of the game, maybe the team. Time to trade his ass.

Interesting take. I think he wants to play the 2 guard, and now that Manu got injured it was his chance. But TP being injured also, he's back into PG hell.
I don't think he likes to play the position, period.

mando6599
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I tend to agree with the OP.

I HATE losing, esp. to these Mavs, but if I've ever felt "good" about a loss, I guess this would be the closest I've had that feeling.

A few points:

1)FINALLY, Pop played Hairston!!! Thank you!!! Oh wait, he actually played defense?!?! Yes, and he is athletic and looked to score(i.e. aggressive) almost every time he got the ball on offense.(2 times?)
2)GEORGE HILL! While he got benched for a bad foul out of bounds, he played the final quarter and OT with confidence I didn't know he had. Aggressive to the rim, finishing at the rim, shooting the 3 and midrange jumper well. Oh wait, he actually played defense?!?! YES!!!
3)BONNER! Honestly that's the best I've seen him play and with the most confidence. 11 points on 3-4 on 3's and 10 boards and was aggressive on the boards too. Now I thought he played defense as well as he can on Dirk. There were a couple of times however that Bonner should have blocked JJ's shot but didn't? Weird.
4)DICE! Man his jumper looks AWESOME!!! Every time I saw him square up, I thought it was going in. Defense on Dirk was commendable and even good. When you are forcing Dirk to fade and shoot rainbows, I'll take that make 1000 times more than a stumbling Dirk towards the hoop drawing the phantom foul and 1.

Let me reiterate that I HATE to lose as a Spurs fan. But these are some very bright spots for our team. And I tend to forget that we're working in 7 new players into our system still and our superstars have not played together consistently enough yet.

mando

Bender
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I turned off the game before Hairston made an appearance. Did he do ok?

edit: oops, didn't see the hairston comments in the post above...

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I turned off the game before Hairston made an appearance. Did he do ok?

edit: oops, didn't see the hairston comments in the post above...
Hairston did ok, but somehow it did not seem like he followed the playbook. He could move without the ball and made his own decision, I don't know if that is a positive thing. He had a good layup and then a travelling call. Other than that, he also played decent defense. However, we did not get to dissect Hairston's game as he was pulled out from the game quickly. Probably did not follow the playbook. Pop is keeping him on a tight leash.

greensborohill
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I think the refs won the overtime. Dirk got two three point plays, one of which no one even touched him (he did yell und eins though, which is apparently german for blow your whistle infidel). What about the errand pass by kidd that duncan got called for a foul on. dirk just moaned and the refs blew their whistle. I think that we were lucky to be in overtime, b/c we played horrible but we got robbed in OT.

Cry a little.

The more aggressive team got the calls.

Points in the paint:

Dallas 46
SAS 22

You're a perimeter shooting team. Deal with it and be a man when you lose.

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Cry a little.

The more aggressive team got the calls.

Points in the paint:

Dallas 46
SAS 22

You're a perimeter shooting team. Deal with it and be a man when you lose.

Haha, it's only the most recent game. I'm sure when the Spurs whooped you guys (and it didn't take overtime, and you had Marion and Dampier in your lineup) you were very upset. Don't talk so much when the series is even. I would be hard pressed to even say that the series is even, considering that for both games we had two of the big three out.

Thanks for reminding us what a man is. Admitting that your team is a jump-shooting team, it's something that my father neglected to mention. I thought it was about providing for your family, volunteering for service, keeping your children from harm, etc. Now I know better, thanks.

greensborohill
11-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Haha, it's only the most recent game. I'm sure when the Spurs whooped you guys (and it didn't take overtime, and you had Marion and Dampier in your lineup) you were very upset. Don't talk so much when the series is even. I would be hard pressed to even say that the series is even, considering that for both games we had two of the big three out.

Thanks for reminding us what a man is. Admitting that your team is a jump-shooting team, it's something that my father neglected to mention. I thought it was about providing for your family, volunteering for service, keeping your children from harm, etc. Now I know better, thanks.

When we lost last week. I came on here and said it was a good game. We got our azz handed to us. I made no excuses. That's the difference. However, this week all you see is excuse making. "we didn't have Manu & Tony (really? Didn't stop you last time), "It was the refs!" (cry about it a little more!).

Be a man, see it was a good game, and move on. It's one thing to say it was a good game and we could have won if things went different. But to make excuses is just lame, especially coming from fans of a 4 time champion.

Oh, Gee!!
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM

game 4 of the WCF?

quentin_compson
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
He was constantly penetrating the Spurs defense and finding the open man, burying open jumpers when Spurs defenders went under the screen and forced several Spurs into offensive fouls...he definitely contributed.

While I agree that Barea contributed, I wouldn't say that he forced our guys into offensive fouls. I remember at least two possessions when Mason Jr. and Hill (?) just ran into him and even pushed him away. Just stupid play on their side.

And I hate it when a midget like Barea is able to make jumpshots. I mean, if he beats you on the dribble, alright, but jumpshots? No way. :nope

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
When we lost last week. I came on here and said it was a good game. We got our azz handed to us. I made no excuses. That's the difference. However, this week all you see is excuse making. "we didn't have Manu & Tony (really? Didn't stop you last time), "It was the refs!" (cry about it a little more!).

Be a man, see it was a good game, and move on. It's one thing to say it was a good game and we could have won if things went different. But to make excuses is just lame, especially coming from fans of a 4 time champion.

Ok, you realize that I'm the thread starter right? And I said that it was a great game?

Anyway, if you're so put off by Spurs fans making excuses, then why are you on a Spurs forum?

jjktkk
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
While I agree that Barea contributed, I wouldn't say that he forced our guys into offensive fouls. I remember at least two possessions when Mason Jr. and Hill (?) just ran into him and even pushed him away. Just stupid play on their side.

And I hate it when a midget like Barea is able to make jumpshots. I mean, if he beats you on the dribble, alright, but jumpshots? No way. :nope

That "little midget" knocks down those 3's, cause he sets the defense with his quickness and ability to penetrate the defense. That was one of the main things I noticed was how the Mavs guards with the exception of Kidd, were alot quicker. Besides Parker, who was out, and Hill, the Spurs other guards don't have the speed to keep up with Barea, Beaubois, and to a lesser extent, Terry.