PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Spurs Fans Make Excuses

narmerguy
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen so many fans make excuses for their team. It's only November, it's early. It's only December, they're thinking of Santa. It's only January, the year just started. It's only February, they're about to turn on the heat... etc. Or how about, "he's getting into form", "the team's just jelling".

You think every other team with new players just clicked instantly? You don't think they had to jell? You think we're the only one with old players?

I'm not saying bag on TP and Manu and TD. I'm just saying: Be a legit fan. Don't be a homer. Support them but hold them accountable.

Let's go.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Good post...I'm so sick of the "it's only (insert month)" posts. If a team is playing like shit, it doesn't matter what month it is...

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 01:03 AM
dude if you dont make excuses, then ur not a legitimate spurs fan

JustinJDW
11-19-2009, 01:05 AM
But...its only November. :rolleyes

Nah seriously though, we are only 9 games into the Season. Quit trippin.

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 01:08 AM
If by christmas time, we're still playing with as many holes as now, then you can start complaining.

Until then... it's only November

Chomag
11-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I have to say I do kind of agree. Some do tend to act like we are the only team in the NBA that just started their season.

Sisk
11-19-2009, 01:09 AM
it's being a homer to say that the team hasn't played much together?

seems like a fact to me

i'd say most people are holding people accountable.. rj isn't being as aggressive, pop is using some weird lineups and not playing people like blair as much, putting bonner one on one with dirk.. all of that is a problem in my opinion, however, i have enough faith in the players and our coach to make adjustments and step it up

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Incase you idiots haven't noticed, there are threads criticizing numerous players on this team, the coach, and the team as a whole..

people say it's only November, BECAUSE IT IS..

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Hold them accountable? Like take them to court for not winning a game against the Mavericks?

They're not excuses, they're reasons. Tell me one other team that is supposed to be contending for a title and is introducing 7 new players to the rotation.

And you're delusional if you think that every team and every person is the same. It takes time. There's a reason that Pop has the story of the stonecutter on the wall. There's a reason that the Spurs say it's a Marathon and not a sprint. 82 games is a very very long season. If you don't think the Spurs will be a better team by the time the playoffs arrive, then why do you watch?

:lmao I can just imagine you standing in front of the entire team.Hands on hips, "I want you to say you're sorry! Right now!" pouty face, shaking finger, "You better not lose again! ok?!"

rayray2k8
11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Good post...I'm so sick of the "it's only (insert month)" posts. If a team is playing like shit, it doesn't matter what month it is...

I can tell you haven't followed the spurs long enough..

DubMcDub
11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Tell me one other team that is supposed to be contending for a title and is introducing 7 new players to the rotation.

The Mavs. :lol

alchemist
11-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Hold them accountable? Are you Peter Holt? :lol

Any of you experts know how to solve the chemistry issue when you're main guys are missing? :wakeup

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Hold them accountable? Like take them to court for not winning a game against the Mavericks?

They're not excuses, they're reasons. Tell me one other team that is supposed to be contending for a title and is introducing 7 new players to the rotation.

And you're delusional if you think that every team and every person is the same. It takes time. There's a reason that Pop has the story of the stonecutter on the wall. There's a reason that the Spurs say it's a Marathon and not a sprint. 82 games is a very very long season. If you don't think the Spurs will be a better team by the time the playoffs arrive, then why do you watch?

:lmao I can just imagine you standing in front of the entire team.Hands on hips, "I want you to say you're sorry! Right now!" pouty face, shaking finger, "You better not lose again! ok?!"

Your optimism is commendable...I see a team that still has alot of the same problems they had last year (injuries, defensive rebounding, lack of athleticism) with no guarantees that the ship will be righted in time to be a serious contender come May. It's easy to say it's early but losing ground now makes it that much harder to secure a decent playoff spot later and it's hard for me to see this team making a prolonged run of wins to make up ground considering age and injuries...

narmerguy
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm not saying "let's save the team" I'm saying to admit that there's a freaking problem instead of sticking our heads in the ground and reciting what month it is and other things that affect every other team in the NBA as well. Yeah, we have 7 new players. We're also 10th in the west right now. Title contenders?

I'm sick of pretending. Let's just be real with each other about how the team's doing. Stop sugar coating.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:21 AM
I can tell you haven't followed the spurs long enough..

I watched Cadillac Anderson and Alvin Robertson play at the Hemisfair before there wasn't even the notion of the Spurs contending for a title...I've seen enough to form an opinion. I love how anything negative said about the Spurs equates to not being a fan long enough...I guess the more of a homer you are...the more front row tickets you had to the ABA games. :rolleyes

Velo
11-19-2009, 01:22 AM
S.P.A.M. It's coming....................in March >_>

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Your optimism is commendable...I see a team that still has alot of the same problems they had last year (injuries, defensive rebounding, lack of athleticism) with no guarantees that the ship will be righted in time to be a serious contender come May. It's easy to say it's early but losing ground now makes it that much harder to secure a decent playoff spot later and it's hard for me to see this team making a prolonged run of wins to make up ground considering age and injuries...

Ah, i see now. You want a guarantee. Well, my forlorn friend, you will never get one.

How can you guarantee anything in sports, much less life? If you had a guarantee that the Spurs will win the championship, then why would you watch? It would be very boring to just go through the motions of a full season and the playoffs. No, there's no guarantee. But I will promise you a hell of a roller-coaster ride of a season that has the potential to end in a championship!

FkLA
11-19-2009, 01:24 AM
How long have you been a Spurs fan? If this slow start was something new than I could see the concern, but the Spurs are notorious for slow starts. That has been the case even when we have been healthy and havent had 7 new pieces to incorporate into the team.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Ah, i see now. You want a guarantee. Well, my forlorn friend, you will never get one.

How can you guarantee anything in sports, much less life? If you had a guarantee that the Spurs will win the championship, then why would you watch? It would be very boring to just go through the motions of a full season and the playoffs. No, there's no guarantee. But I will promise you a hell of a roller-coaster ride of a season that has the potential to end in a championship!

I just see a team trending toward the worst case scenario instead of the best one at this point of the season...nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious. I still watch the games because I am a Spurs fan but that doesn't mean I can't point out the current problems with this team and hope they can get fixed before it is too late.

exstatic
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm not saying bag on TP and Manu and TD. I'm just saying: Be a legit fan. Don't be a homer. Support them but hold them accountable.

The word fan is a derivative of the word fanatic. I will always support the Spurs and be the biggest homer in the world. That's being a fan. What you describe is being a fence sitter.

dav4463
11-19-2009, 01:30 AM
I make excuses because of games like tonight. I hate mavs fans who really think they did something beating a team without two of their three best players. Then they try to rationalize it by comparing Dampier, Howard, and Marion to Ginobili and Parker being out! What a joke! Also, just one time, I would like to see dirk really get fouled before falling down, getting bailed out, and then shooting free throws.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:30 AM
How long have you been a Spurs fan? If this slow start was something new than I could see the concern, but the Spurs are notorious for slow starts. That has been the case even when we have been healthy and havent had 7 new pieces to incorporate into the team.

I've been a fan since '88 and I wouldn't be this concerned if we had an "in prime" Duncan, Parker and Ginoboli to fall back on but their odometers have turned over...injuries and age equate to the glass half empty to me but feel free to keep "believing"...

rayray2k8
11-19-2009, 01:34 AM
I watched Cadillac Anderson and Alvin Robertson play at the Hemisfair before there wasn't even the notion of the Spurs contending for a title...I've seen enough to form an opinion. I love how anything negative said about the Spurs equates to not being a fan long enough...I guess the more of a homer you are...the more front row tickets you had to the ABA games. :rolleyes

You dumbass. You of all people should know that the spurs traditionally have always sucked in the beginning of the season.
Not having Parker and Ginobili DID alter this game. Even without the 2 they fought back and almost pulled away.
So what is there to gripe about, huh? What's your excuse? :lol

FkLA
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I've been a fan since '88 and I wouldn't be this concerned if we had an "in prime" Duncan, Parker and Ginoboli to fall back on but their odometers have turned over...injuries and age equate to the glass half empty to me but feel free to keep "believing"...

This team isnt constructed the way it was with a prime Duncan in case you havent noticed. This is a deeper team with players that can create their own shot, whereas prime Duncan was mostly surrounded with stationary shooters. While age might be catching up to Duncan the Spurs have done a nice job countering that by providing him with better help. Parker's odomoter is far from turned over btw.

Wait a couple of months before you hit the panic button.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:46 AM
You dumbass. You of all people should know that the spurs traditionally have always sucked in the beginning of the season.
Not having Parker and Ginobili DID alter this game. Even without the 2 they fought back and almost pulled away.
So what is there to gripe about, huh? What's your excuse? :lol

2005 - 8-2 through first 10 games
2007 - 8-2 through first 10 games

Yeah, our "slow starts" always turned into championships... :rolleyes

It's all well and good that we kept the game close without Parker and Manu but the Mavs had plenty of missing guys of their own, so seeing silver linings in this loss are hard to grasp...unless your black and silver glasses are too tight...dumbass.

portnoy1
11-19-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen so many fans make excuses for their team. It's only November, it's early. It's only December, they're thinking of Santa. It's only January, the year just started. It's only February, they're about to turn on the heat... etc. Or how about, "he's getting into form", "the team's just jelling".

You think every other team with new players just clicked instantly? You don't think they had to jell? You think we're the only one with old players?

Let's go.That took some balls dude. They do need some time and they have alot of new faces. Bottom line your right tho. Some fans like giving RJ a free pass. Alot of fans love giving TP a free pass. But accountability on defense and ball movement on offense.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:50 AM
This team isnt constructed the way it was with a prime Duncan in case you havent noticed. This is a deeper team with players that can create their own shot, whereas prime Duncan was mostly surrounded with stationary shooters. While age might be catching up to Duncan the Spurs have done a nice job countering that by providing him with better help. Parker's odomoter is far from turned over btw.

Wait a couple of months before you hit the panic button.

This is only a "deeper team" if the secondary players live up to their names and salaries. So far, Finley, Bonner and Mason have been disappointing while Jefferson has been wildly inconsistent. It's debatable whether they will get their acts together in time to be a serious contender come playoff time. In the past, the big 3 could make up for the bench decencies...I'm not seeing this version of it being able to carry the load.

BTW, Parker may not be on the wrong side of 30 yet but he has plenty of playoff tread and I think the injuries he is suffering are directly related to it...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 01:56 AM

Let's go.

You are ignoring the history of the team. We often start slowly, or go through a phase where the team plays very poorly, before turning it on after the ASB and steam-rolling the league. I fear those days might be over now that Tim and Manu are on the downside of their careers, but still, it's the way this team has been for most of the decade.

As far as I'm concerned, no excuses. Right now the chemistry is crap. However, I wouldn't be surprised if things start to click somewhere between the 20-30 game mark, so why get down on them now? If you've followed the NBA for any length of time you should know that the first 20 games of the season are generally no indication of the teams that will matter in April.

phyzik
11-19-2009, 01:56 AM
The Mavs. :lol

Really?

The Mavs have 7 new players?

and they are considered contenders?

Tell me all 7 new players you have.

Honestly, Spurs suck right now.

If they gell, Dallas wont have a chance to compete.

I'll admit thats a big IF at this point in the season.

Just looking at the game today, the Spurs with 7... SEVEN... new players and taking Dallas into overtime gives me confidence.... Nevermind the injuries to both teams.

Just a matter of time.

duncan228
11-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Duncan with no excuses.

Duncan missed all three shots and went scoreless in overtime, and afterward he blamed himself for the loss.

“I know I played badly in the overtime,” Duncan said. “The OT wasn’t good for us and Dirk really took over and won it for his team.”

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't get all this "start slowly" talk...

2003 = 6-4
2004 = 5-5
2005 = 8-2
2006 = 8-2
2007 = 8-2
2008 = 8-2
2009 = 5-5

In the years we won titles, we only started off slowly in 2003 and at least then we still had a winning record.

narmerguy
11-19-2009, 02:05 AM
That's 4-5 for us now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Starting slowly is not necessarily reflected by number of wins, it's about how cohesive the team looks. Even slimmed down, the Spurs' system is extremely complex and it takes a long while even for vets to get it. Thus, the team usually looks like shit to start the season, that is certainly the case this year, and that is being reflected in the standings.

Pop's method is to get a slow build going - he plays around for the first 6 weeks of the season, then slowly settles the rotation and builds towards the RR and the ASB. Then after the ASB the gloves come off and it's no stopping until the end.

This year the early lack of chemistry is apparent in both the play and the record.

DubMcDub
11-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Really?

The Mavs have 7 new players?

and they are considered contenders?

Tell me all 7 new players you have.

Actually it's 6. Marion, Gooden, Thomas, Humphries, Ross, Beaubois. All 6 except Marion (who was hurt) played tonight. But I'm sure that 7th guy is what really makes it tough, right? :rolleyes

And yes, if the 4-5, 10th place Spurs are contenders, the 9-3, 2nd place Mavs, who have a winning road record and have beaten the defending champs by 14 at their own place, are certainly contenders.

Honestly, Spurs suck right now.

If they gell, Dallas wont have a chance to compete.

Keep telling yourself that. I think you'd have to roll into the beginning of this decade to find the last time the Mavs "couldn't compete" with the Spurs, even in the years the Spurs won championships.

sabar
11-19-2009, 03:18 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen so many fans make excuses for their team....Be a legit fan. Don't be a homer. Support them but hold them accountable.

Let's go.

Dude, almost every thread started after a loss is "Fire Pop", "Trade Duncan" or "Tank 2010". Really don't need more of that. Any poster than actually knows what they are talking about already criticize the team in their analysis threads. Who exactly is this addressed to?

jjktkk
11-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Although I'm disappointed at the Spurs slow start, I'm also encouraged by the play of some of the Spurs new players like McDyess, Jefferson, Blair,Bogans, and the improvement of Hill. Because of all the new players, it takes time to get the team chemistry down. I'm more worried about the health of Ginoboli and Parker. Narmerguy and Mex. junior, I don't understand your rationale. How in the hell can you form a opinion, good or bad, on the Spurs and Pop, when this team hasn't been completely healthy yet? Its way too early to bash the Spurs. In a month u2 better have an appetite for some black-colored bird, cause I got a good feeling that crow will be served by then.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:04 AM
I love the irony here. The don't make excuses thread is at least half full of them.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Narmerguy and Mex. junior, I don't understand your rationale. How in the hell can you form a opinion, good or bad, on the Spurs and Pop, when this team hasn't been completely healthy yet?

Considering the team's age and injury history the last 3 years...is there any indications that this will even happen?

TDomination
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I guess the only "slow start" you can compare this too is the 1999 spurs team.

There were a few key new players on that team, namely Mario Elie, Jerome Kersey, Steve Kerr, and i don't know who else. But they took a while before they "clicked" starting off 6-8.

Hopefully, similar things happen this year...stupid injuries.

BTW, its November 19 ;)

Mr.Robinson
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Manu, Tim and TP are coasting. It's November. If The Spurs don't have 10-12 wins by 20 games then I'm going to talk shit.

SAGambler
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM

That is something I never could wrap may brain around. The "it's only a November game", "it's only a December game"...."Games don't really matter yet."

Well, if they don't matter, why even bother to play them? Just forfeit.. Nobody gets hurt. Everyone is healthy come playoff time.

Except when you lose enough games in November and December, you will be on vacation come playoff time.

Yet this mantra has been going on with Spurs fans since....well, seems like forever and ever. I just don't get it.

Fpoonsie
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
It makes it hurt less...

...I assume it's similar to when illuzion lubes up.

Bender
11-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Except when you lose enough games in November and December, you will be on vacation come playoff time.
that is my thought too. I mean, for those who say "the spurs just coast in Nov/Dec", well if a West team has a crappy record in Nov/Dec, they will be in a hole for the remainder of the season.

Death In June
11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Actually it's 6. Marion, Gooden, Thomas, Humphries, Ross, Beaubois. All 6 except Marion (who was hurt) played tonight. But I'm sure that 7th guy is what really makes it tough, right? :rolleyes

And yes, if the 4-5, 10th place Spurs are contenders, the 9-3, 2nd place Mavs, who have a winning road record and have beaten the defending champs by 14 at their own place, are certainly contenders.

Keep telling yourself that. I think you'd have to roll into the beginning of this decade to find the last time the Mavs "couldn't compete" with the Spurs, even in the years the Spurs won championships.I agree with you for the most part, except, I don't understand why you listed the lakers victory as a bullet point. Beating a gasol-less lakers team isn't anything to blow your load over.

ZB 512
11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with you for the most part, except, I don't understand why you listed the lakers victory as a bullet point. Beating a gasol-less lakers team isn't anything to blow your load over.

why do some people only focus on the injuries of Mavs opponents?

Fyi, Josh Howard was also out for that game

Injuries are a part of the sport. The Mavs have to deal with them also

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
LOL Spurs obviously aren't contenders right now..

Mavs are a great team..they aren't ever actual contenders, but they're always up there..

Dex
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Because it's easier than making pie!

ba dum cha.

Spursfan092120
11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
You're not a fan if you're not making excuses...because we know our team is better than how they're playing.

narmerguy
11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
That took some balls dude. They do need some time and they have alot of new faces. Bottom line your right tho. Some fans like giving RJ a free pass. Alot of fans love giving TP a free pass. But accountability on defense and ball movement on offense.

Thanks =\ I knew I was going to get slaughtered but it had to be said.

dbestpro
11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
The one thing we Spur fans have in common with Pop. We love our whine, ..er..uh I mean wine.

DubMcDub
11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with you for the most part, except, I don't understand why you listed the lakers victory as a bullet point. Beating a gasol-less lakers team isn't anything to blow your load over.

Considering the Mavs were missing one of their stars and won by 14 (and it wasn't even that close) in LA, yeah, I'd say it's a pretty good early-season bullet point.

exstatic
11-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Let's see, Mavs have run into not only a Spurs team integrating new players, but also bugged with injuries. Of a possible 6 player games for the big 3 in the two SA/Dallas games, you faced 2.1, with Ginobili playing a couple of minutes in game 2. You're all happy about getting one win out of those two games? A contender would have blown us out twice, not dropped one and nipped us in OT in the other, without either of our starting back court contributing in a meaningful way.

Mavs have a lot more to worry about than the Spurs do.

narmerguy
12-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Is it January yet?

pjjrfan
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Hold them accountable? Are you Peter Holt? :lol

Any of you experts know how to solve the chemistry issue when you're main guys are missing? :wakeup
I'm no expert, and I agree most of us would have been hardpressed to hold this team together if we were lucky enough to be on the sideline, but I may not be Peter Holt, but every time I go to a game or put down my hard earned cash to buy Spurs stuff most of my money goes to paying these guys paychecks. Without fans there wouldn't be million dollar heroes or failures in sports. Holt may own the team but the revenue he generates from this team is generated by us. TV, Radio, are driven by people watching and buying the products that sponsor the air play. So any fan that invests in going to games buying products has every right to hold his team accountable.

Dex
12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm no expert, and I agree most of us would have been hardpressed to hold this team together if we were lucky enough to be on the sideline, but I may not be Peter Holt, but every time I go to a game or put down my hard earned cash to buy Spurs stuff most of my money goes to paying these guys paychecks. Without fans there wouldn't be million dollar heroes or failures in sports. Holt may own the team but the revenue he generates from this team is generated by us. TV, Radio, are driven by people watching and buying the products that sponsor the air play. So any fan that invests in going to games buying products has every right to hold his team accountable.

I understand where your coming from, but I think you seriously overestimate your leverage here. If you're not buying those tickets, or that merchandise, or that sports package...somebody else will. At least until the Spurs stop being one of the model franchises in all of sports and the fans just stop caring.

Sure, the Spurs want your money, but what business doesn't?

I'm not saying it's bad to be a fan or pay your hard earned money. We all do it. I just don't expect the franchise to care about me individually. They care about the fan base as a whole, and we're all just drops in the bucket.

Allanon
12-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with the notion about giving the team time to gel during November.

But it's December now and I think Pop will soon have a decision to make:

1) Make the starters work it out regardless of impact on Playoff seeding.

2) Just go with what works even if that means putting starters on the bench to make sure the Spurs get a top 4 seed.