PDA

View Full Version : Former Duck Malik Hairston waits and learns in San Antonio

duncan228
11-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Note: This was written before tonight's game.

Former Duck Malik Hairston waits and learns in San Antonio (http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/11/former_duck_malik_hairston_wai.html)
By Geoffrey C. Arnold, The Oregonian

Malik Hairston has played all of one second -- officially one minute -- for San Antonio in the Spurs' first eight games of the regular season.

Hairston isn't about to complain because he knew his playing time would be limited this season and he is patiently waiting his turn.

"It's all about growth for me as a professional basketball player right now," Hairston said. "Just being around the guys every day is going to help me."

The former Oregon star endured a repeat of his first season with the Spurs, having to anxiously wait until the final days of the preseason to learn if he had earned a spot on the roster. The outcome was different than last season, when he was the final cut of the preseason. This time, he survived.

"I definitely had a feeling they were going to give me a fair opportunity to stay," Hairston said. "I was confident in the work that I had put in during the summer and that I would give myself a fair chance."

In particular, the 6-foot-6, 220-pound shooting guard worked on his defense during the offseason. That hard work carried over into training camp and the preseason.

"I understand how important (defense) is to this organization and my focus coming in was to be very defensive-minded," Hairston said. "You can't really force yourself in if you don't have an angle. I saw where I could fit in on this team and I thought the best angle was to go defensive."

With the league's fifth-highest team payroll, north of $80 million, the Spurs didn't plan on carrying the maximum 15 players this season. There was some speculation that the team might even start the season with 13 players, but San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said Hairston's play and determination forced him to add the second-year player to the roster as the 15th player.

"He made us believe that down the road, we have a pretty good player on our hands," Popovich said.

Popovich was already well aware of Hairston's ability after the team traded for Hairston (second-round draft pick, 48th overall, by Phoenix) in the 2008 draft. The Spurs cut him and sent him to the Austin Toros of theNBA Development League. Hairston played well for the Toros, leading them to the playoffs and earning all-NBDL honorable mention.

Hairston was promoted to San Antonio, where he appeared in 15 games for the Spurs last season, averaging 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds. His performance with the Toros and Spurs, along with his strong offseason and summer league play (13.4 points, 3.2 rebounds) was enough to convince Popovich to offer Hairston a two-year deal.

"He rebounded on offense and he showed great composure. He didn't try to do things he wasn't capable of. He just played solidly on offense," Popovich said. "You could tell he wanted (a roster spot) badly. He went after it and he was successful."

The Spurs see Hairston as a more versatile version of former defense stopper Bruce Bowen. Keith Bogans has emerged as the Spurs' top man-to-man defender this season, but he signed a one-year deal. Hairston is a better shooter, rebounder and he is already a solid defender.

"His play has improved a lot -- his mid-range is very reliable now and his ability to go to the rim is amazing," swingman Manu Ginobili said. "But defense is something that is going to be important for him to be a solid player on this team."

The Spurs want to continue to groom Hairston, but that means giving him meaningful minutes to gain some experience. Minutes are going to be hard to come by playing behind Bogans, Ginobili, Michael Finley and Roger Mason.

"Potentially, he can really help the team," Ginobili said. "But we are so deep right now, it's hard for him to find a spot."

Hairston is confident his time will come.

"I'm just trying to be a sponge. Michael Finley and Manu Ginobili have been All-stars," Hairston said. "It's a great group of wings that I can learn a lot from."

Hairston said he explored other opportunities, but realized the Spurs, regarded as one of the best-run franchises in all of sports, had faith in him.

"The commitment they showed me is appreciated and that has allowed me to continue to grow and mature into a pretty good professional," Hairston said. "They've groomed me and they've kept an interest in me the entire time. I knew what the situation here was for me. I went with what I know."

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I love hearing that Hairston is learning a lot from Finley..come on Malik, find out Fin's secret to playing time, it's the ultimate mystery..

LOL @ the Spurs "see Hairston as a more versatile version of Bowen"..no, they don't..if they did, he would play..

It's also becoming really annoying to keep reading about the "focus on defense"..that simply isn't true, just look at our rotation..please..

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 02:05 AM
I know Pop hates young players, but obviously this kid is talented. With the way Mason is struggling and with Finley's eminent decline, there's no reason they can't find him spot minutes somewhere in the rotation.

Pop gives a long, extra-long leash to veterans, Meanwhile, he gives short leashes to the younger players. Same situation with Blair. His minutes have actually gone down.

These guys need some court time to accelerate their development. Besides, if Pop is so hell-bent on managing the minutes of vets, this is the way to do it.

Throw the best defensive-minded backcourt combination (Hill & Hairston)out there and let's see what they can do.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:49 AM
I have always questioned Malik's work ethic. He was a big time recruit coming to Oregon but I think he spent more of his time eating snacks and smoking bud then practicing in Eugene. The guy put on some serious weight and he still looks like he is a little to heavy.

qiuyizeng
11-19-2009, 06:51 AM
He didn't try to do things he wasn't capable of
the same words estimate blair! what's the fuck matter with Pop?he always say the same word,I can't stand it !