PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Parker, Ginobili hurt -- so does Spurs' brain

duncan228
11-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Parker, Ginobili hurt -- so does Spurs' brain (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/11/so-parker-and-ginobili-are-hur.html)
By Buck Harvey

Earlier this week Gregg Popovich was talking about trying a George Hill-Tony Parker backcourt, and he listed several reasons.

Athletic ability was one. Athletic ability might have been two.

But there was something else.

Popovich said using two point guards "makes a team a little smarter. There's a possibility your team might make better decisions, might be a better passing team on the fast break, things like that."

So, when Parker couldn't play Wednesday, that's likely a reason Popovich gave Manu Ginobili his first start of the season. He wanted another player with the same kind of point-guard skills next to Hill.

And when Ginobili had to sit down less than eight minutes into the game? Popovich's idea of two point guards had been reduced to Hill, who is still learning the position.

Dallas had its own injury problems, but it wasn't at point guard. At times Rick Carlisle used Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and J.J. Barea together. The Spurs could adapt defensively, since Michael Finley could hang with Kidd at this stage of their careers.

But, on the other end, the Spurs struggled to run their offense. A costly Richard Jefferson turnover at the end of regulation was one indication, and Tim Duncan leading the Spurs in assists was another.

-------------

As for Ginobili, who has gone from a tight hamstring to a groin pull this season: Little wonder he's frustrated. But he doesn't have a prolonged lower back injury, or a knee that continues to swell. He doesn't have pain from his ankle surgery, or issues with the stress fracture from last season.

So is he breaking down because of years of basketball? Or are these consecutive injuries just bad luck?

timvp
11-19-2009, 02:42 AM
So is he breaking down because of years of basketball? Or are these consecutive injuries just bad luck?I'm hoping it's just bad luck.

But to me, Ginobili's gait has never really looked normal since his ankle surgery :(

honestfool84
11-19-2009, 02:43 AM
So is he breaking down because of years of basketball? Or are these consecutive injuries just bad luck?

oh please, oh please, oh please let these consecutive injuries just be bad luck.

our :lobt2: hopes lie with ginobili.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm hoping it's just bad luck.

But to me, Ginobili's gait has never really looked normal since his ankle surgery :(

real talk, Ginobili + Mason and/or Finley and whoever is 15+ mil in expiring contracts..

enticing to you?..

I don't believe the FO would trade Manu in all honesty, I think they'll take the risk on him being healthy..I can't say I would do the same though, even though I love having him on my team..

Capt Bringdown
11-19-2009, 02:55 AM
You gotta be looking through the rosiest of rose-colored glasses to believe that Manu's chronic health problems are "just bad luck."

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 03:00 AM
I still believe Pop went with Manu in the starting lineup because of the hamstring injury; you don't want someone to warm up and then to have them sit on the bench where they cool down before entering the game. You want to get stretched, loosened up and right in the game in hopes of not re-aggravating it.

I've thought the same thing about Manu's gait since returning from injury and one has to wonder if that could have something to do with it; compensation can lead to a whole lot of different ailments. Just like the hammy can all of a sudden turn into a groin..

Damn, between Tim and Manu's long-term outlook, and to a much lesser extent, the injury to Tony..

It's going to be a miracle if this team makes it past the second round; is Manu really an expiring contract now?:(

SenorSpur
11-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Parker, Ginobili hurt -- so does Spurs' brain (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/11/so-parker-and-ginobili-are-hur.html)
By Buck Harvey

Earlier this week Gregg Popovich was talking about trying a George Hill-Tony Parker backcourt, and he listed several reasons.

Athletic ability was one. Athletic ability might have been two.

But there was something else.

Popovich said using two point guards "makes a team a little smarter. There's a possibility your team might make better decisions, might be a better passing team on the fast break, things like that."

So, when Parker couldn't play Wednesday, that's likely a reason Popovich gave Manu Ginobili his first start of the season. He wanted another player with the same kind of point-guard skills next to Hill.

And when Ginobili had to sit down less than eight minutes into the game? Popovich's idea of two point guards had been reduced to Hill, who is still learning the position.

Dallas had its own injury problems, but it wasn't at point guard. At times Rick Carlisle used Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and J.J. Barea together. The Spurs could adapt defensively, since Michael Finley could hang with Kidd at this stage of their careers.

But, on the other end, the Spurs struggled to run their offense. A costly Richard Jefferson turnover at the end of regulation was one indication, and Tim Duncan leading the Spurs in assists was another.

-------------

As for Ginobili, who has gone from a tight hamstring to a groin pull this season: Little wonder he's frustrated. But he doesn't have a prolonged lower back injury, or a knee that continues to swell. He doesn't have pain from his ankle surgery, or issues with the stress fracture from last season.

2 things come to my mind from reading this:

1. I'm reminded how my brain was hurting from watching Mason man the backup PG position.

2. And Parker just inked a contract that will allow him to continue playing for the FNT until at least 2012? Seriously.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:05 AM
Buck Harvey can eat a dick.

Danny.Zhu
11-19-2009, 04:20 AM
There's no way it's just back luck...

Hopefully he can stay healthy in playoff games.

Rynospursfan
11-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Yeah bad luck left a couple of years ago.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
These are the kind of injuries from being out of shape, and it's not that serious, IMHO.
That said, the Spurs should explore what can they fetch by Feb for their expiring contracts.

z0sa
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
It's time to start deciphering whether Ginobili's expiring contract will net us a solid, defensive-minded bigman. I hate to say it, because I've never given Ginobili crap about his injuries, ever.

But this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

We need our big guns healthy if we're going to gel at some point.

I mean, fuck it. If we're less talented offensively than everyone else but have the best chemistry and defense, I think we can still win a couple titles these next two years. In fact, I think it's a better chance than we have now, sadly, if Manu is not healthy.

The sky isn't falling, and i hope and pray he'll be fine and stringing together great games by mid-season, but I'm just at my wit's end with Manu. Love him to death, will always be remembered as one of my favorite Spurs, but it's just gotten old seeing him in pain on the sidelines, especially when we need him building chemistry with the other new guys.

Why is it so important this early? As some of us can already tell, this team isn't going to shut people out of the paint night in and night out, not as presently built. We need fluid offense if we're going to beat the best teams. Hell, as it stands now, we're going to need that offense if we intend on earning a high playoff seed.

And since we aren't going to be shutting people out, we need to build that same chemistry on the defensive end if we intend on stopping anyone at all.

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
These are the kind of injuries from being out of shape, and it's not that serious, IMHO.
That said, the Spurs should explore what can they fetch by Feb for their expiring contracts.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
If one does not set foot for an entire summer, is limited severely in preseason and then starts to play full games; it's only a recipe for injury. Despite what some people say on here, I'd much rather have Manu with a slight strain than a Manu battling joint problems.

SpurNation
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Ginobili hurt on a consistent basis is probably something Spur fan is going to have to live with (accept). Enter Richard Jefferson and the emergence of George Hill. Hopefully those two will be able to provide what would be missed from a healthy Ginobili.

On a positive note. Ginobili's early injuries thus far appear to be more of a lack of conditioning than the serious season ending type.

rjv
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
the injuries manu is getting are from a body that has not been conditioned well enough. the spurs directives to have manu sit for such a long time may have done wonders for his ankle but they have put the rest of his body at risk.

TJastal
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
the injuries manu is getting are from a body that has not been conditioned well enough. the spurs directives to have manu sit for such a long time may have done wonders for his ankle but they have put the rest of his body at risk.

+1

It's a hamstring, not his ankle. he'll be back soon enough.

Brazil
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I hope Manu will be ok

Kori Ellis
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
+1

It's a hamstring, not his ankle. he'll be back soon enough.

Actually it's a groin, but hopefully he'll be back in a week or so. Groin injuries oftentimes linger on and on, so hopefully he can get over this one relatively quickly.

hater
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
we lost for 2 reasons last night:

1. Mason played attrociously
2. Jason Kidd raped Jefferson in the 2nd half

Bender
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
the fragility of our main players is scary so early in the season. Still a hell of a long way to go, with a more rigorous schedule.

Can they make it thru a long and arduous season...