PDA

View Full Version : Landline phones

florige
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Who here still uses them? If you do, what # do you give people so they can contact you by us now being in the cell phone age?

exstatic
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
It's going to be academic once Google Phone comes on line. You'll have one number that will ring ALL of your phones, and one VM box.

sonic21
11-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I've been cellphones only since 2002

balli
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I prefer a landline. I screen calls on my cell and call people back on a landline. My cell is basically a pager and text messaging device.

bus driver
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
i have a land line but never use it.......or answer it.
in fact i dont think i even have a phone hooked up to it

CosmicCowboy
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I keep a land line mainly for the fax machine but also because that's been my home number for 25 years...virtually everyone knows to call the cell first and then the land line if I don't answer.

JudynTX
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
We still have a landline. I use my cell phone more though.

mrsmaalox
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a landline. I think until just recently, it was required of all military to have a landline. I would love to be rid of the landline, but I hesitate mostly because I'm not sure if my mom, at her age, could handle it. Also even though my 3 kids all have cellphones, I just feel better knowing I can get thru to the house if I'm out.

florige
11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I guess a landline comes in handy when you are at home charging your cell battery or something. Other than that I think it is a waste of money, especially since most cell phone companies now offer free everything.

katyon6th
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I got a landline when I moved out on my own for the first time because my cable provider sold me some bullshit bundle package. I had the line for a year but never bought a phone to use it. Silly me.

Kori Ellis
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM
We hadn't had a landline in many (6?) years until we moved recently. Then, like Katy, we got a bundle package with cable. So now, we have one. I actually use it more than I thought I would, but still use my cell phone more.

RGMCSE
11-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I have Magic jack but that's more like VOIP. Does that still count?

Rob

Shelly
11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I have two (one a dedicated fax line for work). I actually use my land line a lot. I think the quality is just better than a cell phone and prefer talking on it than a cell.

Most people call me on it anyway and I'm not one to yak on my cell when I'm at HEB or wherever.

Crookshanks
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a landline and I'm like Shelly - I like the quality. Also, I don't have to worry about the landline dropping a call.

duncan228
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a landline. And I get the newspaper everyday too. Old habits die hard.

florige
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a landline and I'm like Shelly - I like the quality. Also, I don't have to worry about the landline dropping a call.

Good point about the dropped call thing.

CubanMustGo
11-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a landline. And I get the newspaper everyday too. Old habits die hard.

+1. And I don't have a freakin' Kindle, either. Paper all the way, bay-bee! :lol

I. Hustle
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I have a land line, air line, and sea line just in case.

Crookshanks
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
+1. And I don't have a freakin' Kindle, either. Paper all the way, bay-bee! :lol

I'm an avid reader and I have over 100 books - I can't get into the Kindle thing. If I'm going to read a book, I want to READ the book! I just like having the actual book - not something on a tiny screen.

On another note, I don't like audio books either. I read murder mystery/thriller books and many times I go back and re-read portions to clarify plot points - that would be hard to do with an audio book.

ashbeeigh
11-19-2009, 12:53 PM
We're a die hard DSL family so we have a landline bundle package for that. However, the only people that really call us on the landline are the few telemarketers that have found their way through the Do Not Call List and then the few family members that we refuse to give our cell phone numbers.

Skype is also a life saver phone/long distance wise.

Heath Ledger
11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I have Magic Jack and Skype. Have done Vonage in the past, it was a good service but cheaper alternatives came along. The Skype app on the iphone is uber sweet, basicly giving you unlimited minutes on your cell phone, so i bought the smallest plan I could and just use Skype when I'm over.

Strike
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Haven't had a landline in about 4 years. Living alone really makes it a non-issue.

LnGrrrR
11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Cell phone only for me; haven't had a landline since... 04 I think.

phyzik
11-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I primarily use a cell phone but a landline can be a life saver (literally) in some situations.

Most cable line phones have a backup battery in them now so power outages dont really affect them anymore. If a major crysis happens, chances are the cellphone networks will be practically useless. you ever try to use your phone during mardi gras or new years downtown? I imagine it would be alot worse in a major citywide disaster (not that Im paranoid about such a thing but you never know).

Also, not that I need it for this purpose either, but sometimes there are circumstances when elderly or preme babies are at home on a monitoring system, if something goes wrong the system automatically dials the hospital to alert them, its required to have a land line.

Honestly, when I got a land line again (after a few years) the main reason was because I thought my buddy was getting out of prison and he was going to stay with me. Probation and the court require the residence to have a land line. unfortunately they denied his parole. He should be getting out in Feb. though.

If your curious, he was put in prison because he was guilty by association. He was in a car with some guys, they stopped at a store, he stayed in the car. The 2 guys decided to rob an elderly couple at knife point. He was totally unaware what was going on when the cops showed up. They where all arrested. The elderly couple initially pointed him out in the linup as one of the 2 guys who assulted them but then later in the court hearing changed their mind and picked the correct 2 guys. at that point it didnt really matter though. :depressed

He currently has a 4.0 GPA for college credits in prison and plans to continue going to college when he gets out. He's been in prison for almost 10 years now.

ploto
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
My home security system and fire alarm are wired into my land line phone and monitored. I like it for security and safety reasons.

stretch
11-20-2009, 12:28 AM
cell only

ShoogarBear
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM
It's going to be academic once Google Phone comes on line.

Probably. I signed up for one, but I still don't quite trust the way The Google is assimilating all my data.

phyzik
11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
My home security system and fire alarm are wired into my land line phone and monitored. I like it for security and safety reasons.

Thats also a really good reason to have one. Some of the newer alarms have wireless connectivity with a backup battery in them in the event crooks are smart (lol) enough to try and cut your power but some of the older alarm systems rely on a landline.