PDA

View Full Version : Rest Duncan today

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Seeing Timmy outdo himself last night was awesome, but at the same time, something we can ill afford if we don't want this season to go just like the last one.
You play Tim out there, and if it turns out to be a close game like last night, you know he's gonna want to play extended minutes, all out, and it will be tempting for coach too to get a win. Which is what happened early last season when both Manu and TP were out too.

Gotta look at the Big picture. It's a 82 games season. We need Tim to play like last night for the stretch run, not this early. Just sit him out and play the youngsters to keep on looking at what we have. Maybe Haislip or Ian could get a decent look.

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 09:25 AM
If we don't play Timmy, we'll be 4-6...worst record to start a season this decade for us.

Bartleby
11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
If Tim gets hurt, a slow start will be the least of their worries.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:29 AM
If we don't play Timmy, we'll be 4-6...worst record to start a season this decade for us.

I don't really care what's the record in November... Big picture folks.

Whisky Dog
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Here's a big picture - if the Spurs don't land a top 2 seed they're going to end up with a tough as shit 1st round opponent which means they will fade fore sure in later rounds if they get that far.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Here's a big picture - if the Spurs don't land a top 2 seed they're going to end up with a tough as shit 1st round opponent which means they will fade fore sure in later rounds if they get that far.

Fool's gold. If we're not healthy come May, it won't matter what seed we get.
There is no such thing as an 'easy' team in the west anymore.

SpurNation
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Wow. Tough call. I think the progression of the game will more than likely dictate the minutes Duncan plays tonight.

Parker playing (or not) will have a lot to do with that IMO. As well as what, if any, productive minutes Blair can provide.

McDyess could possibly give the team at least 24 quality minutes. Bonner will have to play beyond himself again. Bonner last night was the second best big on the team. The problem with that is...Bonner was the second best big on the team.

All said. I'm not too concerned if Duncan plays at least 30 minutes in this game. I don't think playing extensive minutes this early in the season in a B2B will effect Duncan down the road.

It will be a pattern of him having to during the whole season that would concern me the most.

Here's to any other big on the team besides Duncan being able to step it up and earn the right to dispell Duncan of that neccessity. :toast

I-Ball
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
how can TD develope game rythem if you let him sit out?
didn't some spurs fan already state in the game thread that duncan is physical in shape but lacks the game routine?

i understand that you want to keep TD fresh come play-off time, but if he doesn't play regulary he won't develop the needed game perfomance and even more the team chemistry won't evolve.
right now this seems to be the biggest issue of the spurs (because of injuries to the big 3). some players (most noticeable Jefferson) don't know their roles, when parts of the big 3 are on the court.

to keep TD fresh pop should limit his PT but not let him sit out. every bit of team chemistry evolvement (even if it's only specific player combination like duncan + jefferson + McDyess) could help on the long run. to stay competitive and win some games would be a bonus.
crawling up the seeding in the later half of the season isn't a given and will demand a lot of afford (could mean running out of gas come play-off time).

Interrohater
11-19-2009, 10:26 AM
We actually played well when Tim and Tony were out, I don't see how people are saying that we couldn't win. We have a decently deep team, if Tim needs a night off, go for it. No offense to the doomsdayers, but this is not a "must win" game in order for us to get a good spot in the playoffs.

duncan228
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I think it should be based on how Duncan feels. He was wincing a couple of times last night. If he's fine, play him limited minutes. I don't care about the win/loss, I care about health and Duncan getting in game shape.

TDomination
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
to keep TD fresh pop should limit his PT but not let him sit out. every bit of team chemistry evolvement (even if it's only specific player combination like duncan + jefferson + McDyess) could help on the long run. to stay competitive and win some games would be a bonus.
crawling up the seeding in the later half of the season isn't a given and will demand a lot of afford (could mean running out of gas come play-off time).

I agree with this and i would probably expect this to happen.

I don't think Tim is THAT old and THAT beaten up to not be able to play on both back2back. His minutes will likely be limited but it still allows him to regain rhythm on the court and create some much needed chemistry with the new guys.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd like to see TD playing 25-28 minutes tonight

Mr.Robinson
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
He needs to play 35 minutes again. He looks good to me.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
We play again saturday... it's not like he would sit out another 5 days...

Mel_13
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
No point in playing Tim tonight.

Tonight's officials:

Joey Crawford
Derrick Collins
Scott Wall

hater
11-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Tank!

LOL@MavsFan
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM

:toast

I-Ball
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Tonight's officials:

Joey Crawford
Derrick Collins
Scott Wall

:lol
let TD play and crawford will handle his PT. less work for pop :p:

barbacoataco
11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I would sit Duncan. Give the youngsters some burn and who knows, maybe they surprise people. Before the season started I remember Pop saying he was going to sit Duncan, McDyess and Finley for some or all b2b's. I thought that was the whole point of having Mahinm, Haislip and Hairston.

Ditty
11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
this is a must win game tonight

we need duncan to play about 25 minutes and hopefully other guys can step up and make tonight a blowout

ElNono
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
this is a must win game tonight

http://arikia.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm1.jpg

FYI, this is game 10 of the season... There's 72 more after that...

mexicanjunior
11-19-2009, 01:15 PM
We actually played well when Tim and Tony were out, I don't see how people are saying that we couldn't win.

Probably because Manu is out as well...

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
The Injury Bug Bites Hard
by Timothy Varner

Yes, that’s a double entendre.

Jeff McDonald is reporting that Tony Parker is doubtful for this evening and Manu Ginobili won’t play.

I’m concerned about Tim Duncan.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/11/19/the-injury-bug-bites-hard/)

Ditty
11-19-2009, 01:25 PM
http://arikia.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm1.jpg

FYI, this is game 10 of the season... There's 72 more after that...

I understand that but we cant have a 3 game losing stream and be below 500. I think spurs have a very winnable winning streak coming up til the boston game and hopefully by that time we will have everyone back

ElNono
11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I understand that but we cant have a 3 game losing stream and be below 500. I think spurs have a very winnable winning streak coming up til the boston game and hopefully by that time we will have everyone back

Sure we can. I mean, if you suggest Duncan plays 20 something mins and see what happens, I'll respect your opinion. And sure, we should try to take advantage of the nice home schedule we have.
But from there to say tonight's game is a must win... or that being temporarily on a 3 game losing streak and/or under .500 is going to make or break our season, is kind of a stretch, IMHO.

Whisky Dog
11-19-2009, 01:36 PM

But some are definitely easier than others. There's a reason NBA champions don't ever come from 4 seeds or lower.

Mal
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Stop it, just stop it. Spurs can`t sit Timmy in all b2b games... No Gino,and probably no Parker and no Timmy is putting this team 4-6.... Boston`s trio is older and they are playing no matter which month it is. Why Spurs should tank November, than December ??

Ditty
11-19-2009, 01:48 PM
But some are definitely easier than others. There's a reason NBA champions don't ever come from 4 seeds or lower.

yah the last time that happen was 15 years ago with the rockets

but had some clutch shots against the suns

but the spurs need to take advantage of games like these and try to keep this win streak at home against the jazz

benefactor
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
A top 3 seed for us is going to be highly unlikely. Anyone with any sort of objective view of our personnel situation going into the season knows this. I have said to many people that there is a good chance we could wind up 10-10 through the first 20 games. We are not going to have home court for the WCF or the NBA Finals, so just get those ideas out of your head now.

I agree with 228...if Duncan feels like he can go tonight then that is fine. If he thinks he should rest or Pop feels he should sit him then that is fine too.

quentin_compson
11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree with 228...if Duncan feels like he can go tonight then that is fine. If he thinks he should rest or Pop feels he should sit him then that is fine too.

Can't see that happening.

He definitely looked worn out at the end of the game last night, but if he isn't hurting, Pop might as well give him 20-25 minutes.

That being said, I also would be fine with TD sitting this one out.

Creation88
11-19-2009, 02:01 PM
fuck crawford.

benefactor
11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah...I thought that after I typed it. If Pop give Duncan the option he is playing.

elbamba
11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I would not rest him altogther. He could play 25-30 minutes and I do not believe it would be too much. There is a good chance that tonight will be a blowout. SA is due a good shooting night.

jb4g
11-19-2009, 02:32 PM
he needs to play, but 20-25 minutes is enough. they need to get off to a good start on this 4 game homestretch, get past theJazz tonight and the other 3 are teams we should beat. Im saying that assuming the bucks curse was lifted when we got RJ lol

baseline bum
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
If Tim's healthy, then he should play. I can't believe how many people want our stars coddled. That's not to say I think he should be playing 40 minutes again, but damn. He's a NBA superstar, not an ice sculpture.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
The only reason I brought up this thread is because he played 44 minutes last night, and being that the Jazz is normally a fairly physical team.

Brazil
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Tonight's officials:

Joey Crawford
Derrick Collins
Scott Wall

:lol

objective
11-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Free ian mahinmi !