PDA

View Full Version : If some detainees get military commissions or indefinite detention, how can 9/11 tria

Winehole23
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
If some detainees get military commissions or indefinite detention, how can 9/11 trials be justified?
(http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/11/19/obama/print.html)
Glenn Greenwald
Nov. 19, 2009 |

"What I'm absolutely clear about is that I have complete confidence in the American people and our legal traditions and the prosecutors, the tough prosecutors from New York who specialize in terrorism" -- Barack Obama, yesterday (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29661.html).

"Holder said five other Guantanamo detainees would be tried by military tribunals. The five include Abd al-Rahim al Nashiri, who is accused of masterminding the 2000 attack on the USS Cole warship in Yemen; and Canadian Omar Khadr, accused of killing a U.S. soldier in Afghanistan" -- NPR, yesterday (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120530053&ft=1&f=1001).

"'Administration officials say they expect that as many as 40 of the 215 detainees at Guantanamo will be tried in federal court or military commissions . . . . and about 75 more have been deemed too dangerous to release but cannot be prosecuted because of evidentiary issues and limits on the use of classified material' . . . If true, that means that there are 75 so-called 'Fifth Category' detainees who might be subject to indefinite detention without trial" -- The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder, yesterday, quoting The Washington Post (http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/11/as_many_as_75_detainees_could_remain_in_limbo.php) .

Can anyone reconcile Obama's homage to "our legal traditions" and his professed faith in jury trials in the New York federal courts with the reality of what his administration is doing: i.e., denying trials to a large number of detainees, either by putting them before military commissions or simply indefinitely imprisoning them without any process at all (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us/politics/24detain.html?hp)?

During his appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us/19detain.html?hpw), Eric Holder struggled all day to justify his decision to put Khalid Sheikh Mohammed on trial because he has no coherent principle to invoke. He can't possibly defend the sanctity of jury trials in our political system -- the most potent argument justifying what he did -- since he's the same person who is simultaneously denying trials to Guantanamo detainees by sending them to military commissions and even explicitly promising that some of them will be held without charges of any kind.

Once you endorse the notion that the Government has the right to imprison people not captured on any battlefield without giving them trials -- as the Obama administration is doing explicitly and implicitly -- what convincing rationale can anyone offer to justify giving Mohammed and other 9/11 defendants a real trial in New York? If you're taking the position that military commissions and even indefinite detention are perfectly legitimate tools to imprison people -- as Holder has done -- then what is the answer to the Right's objections that Mohammed himself belongs in a military commission? If the administration believes Omar Khadr belongs in a military commission, and if they believe others can be held indefinitely without any charges, why isn't that true of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? By denying jury trials to a large number of detainees, Obama officials have completely gutted their own case for why they did the right thing in giving Mohammed a trial in New York.

Even worse, Holder was reduced to admitting (http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/11/18/HP/R/26128/Senate+Judiciary+Cmte+Hearing+on+DOJ+Oversight+wit h+AG+Holder.aspx) -- even boasting -- that this concocted multi-tiered justice system (trials for some, commissions for others, indefinite detention for the rest) enables the Government to pick and choose what level of due process someone gets based on the Government's assessment as to where and how they're most likely to get a conviction:

Courts and commissions are both essential tools in our fight against terrorism . . . On the same day I sent these five defendants to federal court, I referred five others to be tried in military commissions. I am a prosecutor, and as a prosecutor, my top priority was simply to select the venue where the government will have the greatest opportunity to present the strongest case with the best law. . . . At the end of the day, it was clear to me that the venue in which we are most likely to obtain justice for the American people is a federal court.

Does that remotely sound like a "justice system"? If you're accused of being a Terrorist, there's not one set procedure used to determine your guilt; instead, the Government has a roving bazaar of various processes which it, in its sole discretion, picks for you based on ensuring that it will win. Even worse, Holder repeatedly assured Senators that the administration would continue to imprison 9/11 defendants even in the very unlikely case that they were acquitted, citing what they previously suggested (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/07/08/obama/index.html) was their Orwellian authority of so-called "post-acquittal detention powers." Is there any better definition of a "show trial" than one in which the defendant has no chance of ever being released even if acquitted, because the Government will simply thereafter assert the power to hold him indefinitely without charges?

I understand that sending even a limited number of Terrorism suspects to federal court is politically difficult and controversial, as the last couple of days have demonstrated. But by refusing to embrace and defend the core principle of justice at stake here -- that a distinguishing feature of our political system is that we don't imprison or kill people without charging them with a crime and proving their guilt in a real court, and that military commissions and indefinite detention are un-American (which Democrats argued under Bush (http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/05/15/military_commissions/)) -- the Obama administration has made it for more difficult for it to defend what it is doing, as well as for those who want to defend their decision to give trials to 9/11 defendants.

To see how that works, here is part of the exchange I had on MSNBC this week (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31510813/#33964654) with George Pataki, while debating trials for 9/11 defendants:

MR. GREENWALD: If you look at how the British treated the people who did the London subway bombings, the Spanish who treated the people who did the Madrid subway bombings -- even India just put on trial the sole surviving terrorist who perpetrated the Mumbai massacre last year. Even Indonesia gave trials in their real cities to the people who blew up the nightclubs in Bali.

It's only the American conservatives who are feeding the terrorist agenda by saying that we're too scared to hold trials --

MR. RATIGAN: Hold on, Glenn.

MR. PATAKI: Can I respond to that, Dylan? Only the -- only the -- only the American conservatives? Then tell me why Obama and Holder are using military tribunals against those who blow up Americans in acts of war overseas? They're just picking these particular terrorists for trial in New York because they blew up civilians in New York. So what their logic is, "Kill thousands of civilians and you can get a civilian trial; kill one or two overseas, and we're going to use military tribunals."
That makes no sense.

For those wanting to defend the administration, what's the answer to that? The same thing happened when Rep. Nadler, as part of the same segment, tried to defend the Obama administration's decision to try the 9/11 defendants in New York:

REP. NADLER: I think that our tradition is that people accused of heinous crimes get trials, and they get trials in the area in which the crime is committed, which is right here. And I think it's exactly the right thing to do. . . .That's the way it ought to be, and we ought to show the world that we adhere to our traditions of justice and that these terrorists are not going to cause us to abandon the law.

MR. PATAKI: ... We are going to use military tribunals. They're saying they're perfectly fine for some terrorists, but these terrorists they're going to try here. What's the justification for that, Jerry?

REP. NADLER: Well, I -- well, I don't think there is any justification.

MR. PATAKI: I don't either.

The administration should have the courage of its convictions and defend jury trials as a linchpin of American justice, which would entail giving them to all Terrorism suspects not captured on any battlefield. But by refusing to do so -- by exhibiting the very cowardice of which Holder accused Republicans, i.e. denying Terrorism suspects a trial -- the administration has no cogent argument to make in its own defense. It's just another case of the administration wanting to bask in the rhetorical glory of "the rule of law" while simultaneously trampling on it for petty political convenience.

DarrinS
11-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Ln0S4XcymA4

DarrinS
11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
7B5bkzypa6Y

ChumpDumper
11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Darrin, tell us in your own words why trials for 9/11 terrorists in federal court is no a bad thing since you said nothing about such a trial for previous terrorists tried, convicted and sentenced in federal court.

doobs
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Eric Posner thinks the decision to create a two-tiered system of justice was a good one. (http://volokh.com/2009/11/18/why-has-holder-decided-to-try-khalid-sheikh-mohammed-in-a-civilian-court/)

Personally, I can see the value of trying some in civilian courts and others in military commissions. When the admissible evidence is particularly strong and the risks to national security of disclosure are sufficiently low, it behooves us and our international reputation to try the defendant in civilian court---so long as the physical safety and fairness of the proceedings can be guaranteed.

But if KSM is acquitted, what then? Can you imagine the international reaction if, after acquittal, KSM was sent back to indefinite detention or trial by a military commission? The Obama administration needs to be clear that, when they resort to civilian trials, the defendants are not just appearing at some propagandist show trial. To make this two-tiered system of justice work, they should be prepared to release KSM if he is acquitted.

As it stands now, Holder has said the following:
If there is not a successful conclusion to this trial, that would not mean that this person would be released. It’s hard for me to imagine a set of circumstances, given the other things that we could do with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed that would result in him being freed. Under the regime we are contemplating … the ability to detain under laws of war, we would retain that ability.

Winehole23
11-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Personally, I can see the value of trying some in civilian courts and others in military commissions.Does it bug you in the least that a two-tiered system:

enables the Government to pick and choose what level of due process someone gets based on the Government's assessment as to where and how they're most likely to get a conviction:

When the admissible evidence is particularly strong and the risks to national security of disclosure are sufficiently low, it behooves us and our international reputation to try the defendant in civilian court---so long as the physical safety and fairness of the proceedings can be guaranteed.Agree with all but the caveat. Security can never be guaranteed.

But if KSM is acquitted, what then? Can you imagine the international reaction if, after acquittal, KSM was sent back to indefinite detention or trial by a military commission? The Obama administration needs to be clear that, when they resort to civilian trials, the defendants are not just appearing at some propagandist show trial. To make this two-tiered system of justice work, they should be prepared to release KSM if he is acquitted.Political suicide, but agree 100%.

Winehole23
11-20-2009, 01:22 AM
According to a new study by the Center for Law and Security at New York University, the U.S. government has indicted 828 defendants on terrorism-related charges since 2001. Of those indictments, trials are still pending against 235 defendants—and of the remaining 539 defendants, 523 were convicted either at trial or via plea.

The single-largest venue for terrorism trials is New York City, where 145 terrorism indictments have been filed. The center found in a previous study that the conviction rate in New York is higher than in the rest of the nation and that sentencing in New York is also tougher. That is understandable—and may help to explain why the attorney general chose the Southern District of New York for the Mohammed prosecution. In the city’s federal courts, the conviction rate of individuals charged with terrorism involving a U.S. target is 100 percent.http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/what_is_so_patriotic_about_hysteria_20091118/

Winehole23
11-20-2009, 01:41 AM
By contrast, does anyone know the number or rate of convictions secured via military commissions during the same time frame?

Winehole23
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
News Flash: "Military Commissions" Are NOT Our Regular "Military Courts"

I believe that the President and Holder have defined this strategy (try some in civil courts, others in military, based on specifics of the case) to eventually bring about this closure. — Stephen Peter
Those going to trial in Military court for the Cole bombing hit a military target, so yes they should be tried in a Military court. -bernbart Then why, Stephen and bernbart (and anyone else I missed in comments after Page 12), aren't you - or any Member of Congress - suggesting that we actually use our existing, regular MILITARY COURTS, and their special law-of-war courts-martial for non-citizens and citizens alike, to try these prisoners?

That's right: "military commissions" ARE NOT our regular UCMJ-governed "military courts."

If you missed that distinction, YOU WERE MEANT to - the Congress and the media have long pretended that NO OTHER OPTION BUT irregular military commissions exists to civilian trials for accused war criminals.

From someone who's been there (in front of the Guantanamo Military Commissions):

Hi. Lt Col Frakt here (I should note that my views don't represent the views of the Air Force or Department of Defense – I'm actually responding in my capacity as a law professor, not as a Reserve JAG).

Violations of the laws of war by enemy prisoners of war must be tried in military courts-martial, under the identical rules and procedures we use for our servicemembers. The idea of a military commission was to try persons that President Bush determined were not entitled to POW status whom he termed "unlawful enemy combatants."
[...]

President Obama has repeatedly made the distinction that violations of the laws of war may be appropriatedly tried in military commissions. This is a true statement, although military commissions have traditionally been utilized when civilian courts are unavailable, a situation that we do not currently face. That being said, I would not object to military commissions using fair rules and procedures being used for actual war crimes. The reality is that few, if any, of the detainees have actually violated the law of war. The Bush Administration had a theory that any act of fighting by a "unlawful enemy combatant" violated the laws of war, but this theory was repeatedly rejected by the judges in the military commissions themselves. - David Frakt, writing yesterday
http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/11/17/david-frakt-on-material-support-charges-and-military-commissions/#comment-200135

If the detained were afforded POW status, we'd know their names, their locations, they would be treated humanely, they would have ample rights to challenge their status (and should be freed, absent any accusation of crime, if POW status is unwarranted), they could be tried [...] with full process according to ONE standard of law, and they could be held under open, humane conditions, unabused in all cases, for the duration if their only act was to make war against the United States. To my mind, this meets the requirements of justice, of human dignity, and also security. Under this approach, I am sure some now held, or some captured in future would be released, and some would be held until the conflict is ended, as has been the case in every war.) -wgsalter That's quite an "if" at this point, wgsalter. But, as it happens, the habeas corpus appeals of the detainees that are finally being heard in federal district court, thanks to Boumediene, are at last providing the fair hearings and attempting to make accurate, legal determinations of combatant status - in place of the catastrophic failure of the military to do so - as to who really is an enemy soldier/fighter legally detainable for the duration under the law of armed conflict.

Yet to be litigated on the merits, however, are the legal treatment conditions (above Common Article 3 minimums) of their detention 'for the duration.' Barring such litigation, or Congressional oversight, do you really think that the Obama administration will suddenly (very belatedly) start providing POW privileges to the remaining captives? Nothing would end their detention faster, probably, than the requirement that those detainees be treated the same way German POWs in America were treated during WWII.

I elaborated here: http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/11/17/david-frakt-on-material-support-charges-and-military-commissions/#comment-200116

Please, everyone, if you haven't already, read (MC military defense counsel for Jawad) Lt. Col. David Frakt's recent explanations in his interview with Marcy about the current military commissions and their proven flaws:

http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/11/17/david-frakt-on-material-support-charges-and-military-commissions/

And if you want to know - not the sanitized, distorted Pat Buchanan and Lindsey Graham version - but the real, sordid history of (supposedly) battlefield-exigent military commissions/tribunals in this country, please read Louis Fisher's report for the Congressional Research Service: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/crs/rl32458.pdf

And ponder the meaning and import of this important sentence on the future legal viability of the Constitutionally-challenged military commissions in emptywheel's latest post on this subject:

In addition, both Mustafa al-Hawsawi and Ramzi bin al-Shibh have active challenges to the constitutionality of the military commissions [under consideration by a federal appeals court], which, at the very least would hold up the military commissions themselves (even assuming that they were found to be constitutional). http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/11/19/republicans-refuse-to-hear-holders-claims-about-civilian-trials/

More from Professor Frakt (commenting in the emptywheel interview thread):

Ghailani was already indicted in the SD of NY when he was captured abroad, but instead of handing him over to the U.S. Marshals, he was taken to Gitmo and he was charged before the military commissions with the exact same offenses that he was already indicted for. Several other individuals involved in the Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania had already been tried and convicted. This showed that the claim that we had to utilize military commissions because of battlefield evidentiary limitations was nonsense. The US Attorney that indicted Ghailani obviously thought that he could prove the case when he indicted him, so it was very hard to argue that the case needed to be in a military commission [as opposed to a UCMJ-governed military court-martial or federal trial].
http://letters.salon.com/6658d541a01688192443edf4d36cf09f/author/index283.html

mogrovejo
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Americans who are troubled by the decision to send alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to New York for trial will feel better about it when he’s put to death, President Barack Obama said Wednesday.
During a round of network television interviews conducted during Obama’s visit to China, the president was asked about those who find it offensive that Mohammed will receive all the rights normally accorded to U.S. citizens when they are charged with a crime.

“I don’t think it will be offensive at all when he’s convicted and when the death penalty is applied to him,” Obama told NBC’s Chuck Todd.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29661.html

The definition of “show trial” (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/11/18/the-definition-of-show-trial/)
Show trials are conducted by despots and dictators to give only a thin veneer of legality to political detentions and executions. If the state isn’t prepared to abide by the decision of the court, including dismissals and acquittals, then the use of the trial system is worse than useless. It demeans the federal system needed for Americans to seek unbiased justice.

(…)

As James Joyner also concludes, it’s impossible to see Holder’s assertion that the US will detain KSM no matter what the court finds as anything other than an endorsement for “a show trial and a sham.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/11/18/the-definition-of-show-trial/

http://mailer.fsu.edu/%7Enjumonvi/montesquieu%201.jpg

doobs
11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
More than anything else, I simply can't figure out why the Obama administration is doing this . . . unless I consider the possible political motivations. This clearly has nothing to do with showcasing the sanctity of the American justice system, since Holder has already indicated that this will be nothing more than a show trial.

KSM will bitch about evil Americans and we will be reminded of what happened on 9/11. It will be cathartic for us. Many people will rally around the flag. Presumably, some of the mistakes and misdeeds of Bush administration officials will be exposed in the course of this trial, as well. So, if all goes according to plan . . .

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Bush sucks! Bush sucks!

The risk, of course, is that something terrible will happen like another terrorist attack. Or an acquittal, which will expose the absurdity of it all when the government sends him to Bagram for further proceedings or indefinite detention.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
So the fact that folks want to detain people without any process indefinitely doesn't already make a worse mockery of our legal system?

Terrorists who conspired to and carried out attacks in New York have already been tried, convicted and sentenced in federal courts -- and held in prison in the mainland United States.

*GASP* It's true!

Why is everyone so afraid of our legal system now?

Winehole23
11-23-2009, 11:04 AM
The extreme secrecy of the federal courts (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/11/23/courts/index.html)

By Glenn Greenwald

Once conservatives became embarrassed by their cowardly warnings that we would all be killed if we held a 9/11 trial in New York, they switched to a new argument: trials in a real court would lead to the disclosure of classified information that would help the Terrorists. In advancing this claim, they relied (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704431804574537370665832850.html) on the always-unhinged rantings of National Review's Andy McCarthy -- who has also suggested that Bill Ayers was the real author (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTlkMTdmNDRkMTM1ODZkNGNkZmRiNDFjMDE4YzRjMjg=) of Barack Obama's "Dreams from my Father"; attacked his own editors (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDMxYjViMTZlNWRmOTg4MmEwNDA1NTk4MjQzYmQyODM=) for pointing out the falsehoods of Sarah Palin's "death panel" claims, which McCarthy insisted were true; defended the Birther (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZmJhMzlmZWFhOTQ3YjUxMDE2YWY4ZDMzZjZlYTVmZmU=) movement and dissented from NR's editorial rejection of it; and was excoriated by Rich Lowry (http://instaputz.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-wfb-hath-wrought.html) for claiming that Obama "rather likes tyrants and dislikes America." This person -- someone who is often too fringe, hysterical and delusional even for National Review -- is the "legal expert" on which the Right is relying to claim that real trials will jeopardize classified information.

Continue Reading (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/11/23/courts/index.html)

To see how false this claim is, all anyone ever had to was look at the Classified Information Procedures Act (http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/laws/pl096456.htm), a short and crystal clear 1980 law that not only permits, but requires, federal courts to undertake extreme measures to ensure the concealment of classified information, even including concealment from the defendant himself. Section 3 provides: "Upon motion of the United States, the court shall issue an order to protect against the disclosure of any classified information disclosed by the United States to any defendant in any criminal case in a district court of the United States." Section 9 required the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court to consult with the Attorney General and Defense Secretary to develop rules to carry out the Act's requirements, and the resulting guidelines provide for draconian measures so extreme that it's hard to believe they can exist in a judicial system that it supposed to be open and transparent.

To see how severe these secrecy measures are, consider what is currently being done (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/nyregion/23ghailani.html?pagewanted=2&hp) in the criminal case of Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, the first accused Terrorists sent by the Obama administration to New York to stand trial after being interrogated and tortured for years in CIA black sites and at Guantanamo with no charges:

To ensure that secrets do not leak, Judge Kaplan has imposed a protective order on all classified information, which may be reviewed by the defense lawyers only in a special "secure area," a room whose location has not been disclosed.

The order covers all materials that might "reveal the foreign countries in which" Mr. Ghailani was held from 2004 to 2006 -- the period when he was in the secret jails -- and the names and even physical descriptions of any officer responsible for his detention or interrogation, the order says.
It also covers information about "enhanced interrogation techniques that were applied" to Mr. Ghailani, "including descriptions of the techniques as applied, the duration, frequency, sequencing, and limitations of those techniques."
The defense lawyers, who had to obtain security clearance, cannot disclose the information to Mr. Ghailani without permission of the court or the government. Any motions they write based on the material must be prepared in the special room, and nothing may be filed publicly until it is reviewed by the government.

So, last Monday, when Mr. Ghailani’s lawyers filed a motion seeking dismissal of the charges because of "the unnecessary delay in bringing the defendant to trial," they included only a few mostly blank cover sheets.
The rest of the motion, which presumably offers rich details about Mr. Ghailani’s time in detention, remains secret, and a censored version will be made public only after it is cleared by the government.
Does that sound like a judicial process incapable of concealing secrets, or does it sound more like a Star Chamber where the justice system operates in the dark, even to sheild government torture and illegal prisons from disclsoure? Many federal judges -- particularly in criminal cases -- are notorious for being highly sympathetic to the government. That's even more true in a case involving one of the most hated criminal defendants ever to be tried in an American court, sitting a very short distance from the site where he is alleged to have killed 3,000 people in a terrorist attack. And note that the law permits the judge no discretion: if the Government claims something is classified, then "the court shall issue an order to protect against the disclosure of any classified information." With some exceptions (http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/09/second-circuit-rules-government-must.php), ever since the "War on Terror" began, nobody has safeguarded government secrets as dutifully and subserviently as federal judges -- even when those secrets involve allegations of war crimes (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/11/03/arar/index.html) and other serious felonies (http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu-slams-appeals-court-decision-nsa-surveillance-case). That's what DOJ officials mean when they keep praising Southern District of New York judges for their supreme competence and expertise in handling terrorism cases. Federal courts (http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2008/06/will-erich-spangenberg-be-on-the-hook-for-4-million-in-attorneys-fees.html) in general (http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=6339) love to keep what is supposed to be their open proceedings a secret (http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2008/07/good-idea-of-the-day-sunshine-in-civil-litigation.html), but that instinct is magnified exponentionally in national security and terrorism cases.

Even during the Bush years, numerous defendants accused of terrorist acts were tried and convicted in federal courts -- John Walker Lindh, Richard Reid, Zacarias Moussaoui, Ali al-Marri, Jose Padilla. Those spewing the latest right-wing scare tactic (Osama bin Laden will learn everything if we have trials!) cannot point to a single piece of classified information that was disclosed as a result of any of these trials. If that were a legitimate fear, wouldn't they be able to? Like most American institutions, our federal court system is empowered to shield from public disclosure anything the government claims is secret. Just look at the extreme measures invoked in the Ghailani case to see how true that is.

Winehole23
11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Andrew Napolitano's take:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-napolitano29-2009nov29,0,6594004.story

ElNono
11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the clusterfuck we got into for setting up this clandestine 'enemy combatants' parallel justice system, when we already had both civilian and military systems working properly in the first place. Now we're trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.
I sincerely hope it teaches us a lesson.

Winehole23
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I sincerely hope it teaches us a lesson.The lesson Mr. Holder seems to have drawn from it is that it remains expedient for us to have things both ways.

If KSM is acquitted at his criminal trial, Holder reserves the right to punt him into the legal black hole at Bagram, or at least, to resubmit his offenses to a military commission.

antimvp
11-30-2009, 01:30 PM
don't put the detainees in US prisons.............cuz Huckabee will just let them out.