PDA

View Full Version : Mavs get it done ugly

Findog
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2252

Usually, when someone undergoes a “makeover,’’ the idea is to make them prettier. This year’s Dallas Mavericks have been made over into an “ugly’’ team … and the results are gorgeous.
How did the Mavs win Wednesday’s 99-94 OT decision over the Spurs?
The easy answer (and not-incorrect one) is that Dirk Nowitzki was spectacular in carrying his team. But there is a deeper story here, one that goes beyond just this game but was in full evidence again, one that is going largely unnoticed.
Consider this: The Mavs -- a team long known for offensive prowess and outside marksmanship and a finesse approach -- won despite having none of that going for them against San Antonio.
In terms of how much better the Spurs were as shooters in this game, the numbers are stunning.
But in terms of how the Mavs have flipped the script in terms of their identity (and were able to do it against this foe in particular) is stunning, too.

FG % Dallas 40% SA 44%
3's made Dallas 3 SA 7
3 % Dallas 18% SA 47%
FTs made Dallas 16 SA 19
FT % Dallas 76% SA 79%
Reb Dallas 49 SA 50

How can you get outshot by that much, get outrebounded, give up 12 extra points on 3’s and three extra points on free throws … and still win? Part of it, simply, was Dirk: He truly carried the club (again) with 41 points on 15-of-29 shooting, 12 rebs, one block and zero turnovers. In the fourth and OT periods alone Dirk, was 9-of-14 for 23 points, making that dagger 3 and pulling down seven boards. In fact, he personally outscored the entire Spurs team in overtime.

But you already knew all that.

So how did they do it?

"We did a great job of battling, I think," Nowitzki said. "It wasn't pretty again, they kept it a low-scoring game, and we didn't get anything going offensively. But I thought we just kept coming."

Dirk's word are backed up by some numbers that need to be unearthed. Check out these hidden gems:

1. The Mavs outscored the Spurs in the paint, 46-22. (Let that “ugly-makeover’’ fact sink in for a sec.)

2. For the entire game, the Mavs only turned over the ball five times - a spectacularly low number. That's evidence of a disciplined team giving the opponent almost nothing.

Meanwhile their defense forced 19 turnovers by SA.

3. While the overall rebound TOTALS were almost identical, the Spurs pulled down a lot more of the ordinary defensive rebounds because the Mavs were clanking so many of their shots. But on the offensive boards, Dallas pulled down nine more offensive rebounds than the Spurs, giving them that many extra possessions.

4. So how did the Mavs manage to win? As a result of the turnover differential and offensive rebounds, the Mavs had way more possessions and got off 22 more shots than SA. Wow! That is a monumental disparity, representing about the number of possessions/shots a team is likely to get in an entire quarter.

Get that? Dallas attempted so many shots that it’s like the Mavs offense played six periods while SA’s offense played just five.
The Mavs have now won their third game when shooting 40 percent or below, and have won an NBA-best six games when shooting below 42 percent. You will recall that when shooting sub-42 percent, this year’s Mavs quickly rattled off three early-season victories to match last year’s full-season total when shooting that poorly. For the record, it was 3-20 a year ago.

All together the stats tell us that the Mavs on Wednesday were a team that overcame lousy shooting by being better in the paint, attacking the basket, rebounding better, and making far fewer mistakes.

Meanwhile the Spurs were better shooters from the perimeter but got pounded by a relentless and disciplined Mavs team that won even though they were the proverbial Gang That Can't Shoot Straight, at least in comparison to the Spurs numbers.

Isn't that a complete role reversal compared to team images? SA is supposed to be the team that's feared for dominating in the paint, while Dallas is the slick jump-shooting team that can kill you from downtown. (You know: the one the national announcers think is all about “a 7-footer who shoots nothing but 3-pointers!’’)

But not anymore.

In fact, in the prior meeting between these two teams a week ago, it was much the same story. The Spurs had better shooting percentages, including a wide advantage from behind the arc, while Dallas scored more points in the paint and gained extra possessions from more offensive rebounds and fewer turnovers. But last time those advantages for the Mavs were more modest, while this time they were even more dominant to the degree that they created a hard-fought win.

Dallas won NOT because the shots were falling, but rather because the Mavs were the team using a rugged (ugly?) attacking style to make up for any shortcomings. They attacked on offense to score in the paint, attacked the offensive glass to gain extra possessions, and attacked the other team to force turnovers.

Ladies and gentleman, take notice of the hidden gems, the story underneath the story, and the Ugly Makeover: maybe this is not the same ol' Mavs team you thought you knew.

leemajors
11-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm shocked from what I saw that the Spurs barely outrebounded the Mavs, but I guess that's just a function of the Mavs shooting %. Good win for the Mavs, they earned it. Watching Mason play point is painful, but I guess there was no other option when Hill was sitting.

Findog
11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm shocked from what I saw that the Spurs barely outrebounded the Mavs, but I guess that's just a function of the Mavs shooting %. Good win for the Mavs, they earned it. Watching Mason play point is painful, but I guess there was no other option when Hill was sitting.

It was a legit win for either team, since Parker/Manu were out for you guys, and Howard/Matrix/Damp were out for us. It was great to see both teams battle. Characteristic of veteran squads.

wanggi
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
It was a legit win for either team, since Parker/Manu were out for you guys, and Howard/Matrix/Damp were out for us. It was great to see both teams battle. Characteristic of veteran squads.

Kobe the Rapist will be the next.

clambake
11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
that "points in the paint" stat is amazing.

Ghazi
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Mavs are interesting thus far... coming in I thought we'd be a high powered offensive team with mediocre defense which was pretty much the case last year.

Thus far 4th in defensive efficiency, 12th in offensive efficiency... only shooting 44.7% from the field, but holding teams to 43%

It'll be interesting to see if these trends are upheld... its still early.