PDA

View Full Version : Obama: You guys make a pretty good photo op

DarrinS
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Obama to troops: "You guys make a pretty good photo op"

WTF? The guy just oozes sincerity.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/19/AR2009111900904_pf.html

SEOUL -- President Barack Obama will not announce his decision on sending more troops to Afghanistan before the Thanksgiving holiday, senior aides said on Thursday.

The news came as the president greeted 1,500 troops at Osan Air Base in South Korea, just before boarding Air Force One and heading back to Washington after an eight-day Asia trip.

Obama and his top military and diplomatic aides have been deliberating for months over how to proceed in Afghanistan, where the United States and its partners have sought for eight years to defeat the Taliban and deny al-Qaeda a safe haven from which it can plan and launch attacks.

Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has stated that without the deployment of up to 40,000 additional of troops within the next year, the mission "will likely result in failure." But some aides are arguing for a much smaller troop increase, and the U.S. ambassador in Kabul, Karl W. Eikenberry, has questioned whether the Afghan government can be a reliable partner.

Obama said in interviews Wednesday that he would reveal his decision within the next several weeks. On Thursday, aides clarified that there would be no announcement before Thanksgiving, one week away. Senior administration officials said Obama intends to meet with his national security team again before going public with his plans.

Obama did not mention the looming decision in his remarks to U.S. troops, referring to the Afghan conflict only by thanking South Korea for its efforts and expressing gratitude to the American soldiers who have served there.

But he did discuss the region in his meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak, whose government has is sending 150 civilian aid workers to Afghanistan.

Obama arrived on the base 3:19 p.m. local time (1 a.m. Eastern Standard Time), and received a rousing welcome from 1,500 troops in camouflage uniforms, many holding cameras or pointing cell phones to snap pictures.

"You guys make a pretty good photo op," the president said.

Standing on a riser wearing a blue suit and red tie, with a cluster of troops and a large American flag behind him, Obama expressed "the gratitude of the American public" and said his meetings in four countries over eight days in Asia will help deliver a "safer more prosperous world for all of us."

He got a huge cheer when he told them he was increasing military pay. "That's what you call an applause line," he said, before boarding his jet and taking off at 4:11 p.m.

hope4dopes
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
DAAAAAAAMN Darrin help a brother out.He thought his staff told him he was in Chicago.

clambake
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
he shoulda landed on a carrier....with a big sign.

balli
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Just telling it like it is. I wish he hadn't.

But yeah, wake me up when he lies us into a war that kills 5,000 of 'em.

And if you're one of the scum who supported such a war, I have a hard time figuring out where you get off being indignant over something like this. Wipe the troop's blood off your hands and forget about it huh?

admiralsnackbar
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
:sleep

Oh, Gee!!
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
or he could have been joking with the troops, kind of being informal and jovial with them. or he's plain evil (mmmwwahahhhhaahhahahahah!!!!)

George Gervin's Afro
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
he should have taunted the enemy..that would have been funny. Better yet, he could tell them that "you don't go to war with the army you wish you had .." rather " you go with the one you have..."

I wished he would have said those things..

DarrinS
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
or he could have been joking with the troops, kind of being informal and jovial with them. or he's plain evil (mmmwwahahhhhaahhahahahah!!!!)

Not evil, just cheesy and insincere.

DarrinS
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM

And if you're one of the scum who supported such a war, I have a hard time figuring out where you get off being indignant over something like this. Wipe the troop's blood off your hands and forget about it huh?

Like these people?

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

balli
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM

Well whatever. Some of us get to criticize Obama. Some of us are just hypocrites.

Oh, Gee!!
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
or maybe darrin is upset because obama said the military is merely "a pretty good" photo op but not the "fightingest, rootingest, tootingest" photo op ever in the history of photo ops

rjv
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
a politician using troops for a photo op ? when has this ever happened ?

balli
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Like these people?
Some of them.

And there's a difference between getting fleeced as opposed to orchestrating the deception.

Spurminator
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
This seems more sincere than the alternative to me...

ChumpDumper
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
It's important!

MannyIsGod
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM

:lol What? So then he doesn't think they're a good photo op?

whottt
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Yeap there's nothing like crying illegal war to show your support for the troops...

That's probably why Zarqawi and Bin Laden said it...because they care about the troops.

So effective too...it kept Bush from being re-elected, it got us out of Iraq.

Just fucking genius. Had such a positive impact on everything.

I know when I am doing something a conflict, nothing makes me feel more validated and cared for then some person showing their support for me by claiming what I am doing is invalid and a deception...just totally undermines the otherside of the conflict and gives me a morale boost...every single time.

Winehole23
11-19-2009, 02:06 PM
So effective too...it kept Bush from being re-elected, it got us out of Iraq. I take it you mean GHWB. I thought H. Ross Perot was to blame for that.

rjv
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I take it you mean GHWB. I thought H. Ross Perot was to blame for that.

:lol (i actually got the impression he was referring to a third term.)

hope4dopes
11-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Like these people?

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ) Oh now that's a low blow Darrin,exposing the myth of Bush's war.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh now that's a low blow Darrin,exposing the myth of Bush's war.Who was the decider?

hope4dopes
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Some of them.

And there's a difference between getting fleeced as opposed to orchestrating the deception. Oh yes all those democrats who voted for war were fleeced.They aren't some of the most experinced, and astute political animals on the planet,with constituents who are being employed by the arms industry. no they are fifteen year old catholic school girls who somehow found their panties around their ankles.

rjv
11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYBA9JD5oW4

Winehole23
11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
:lol (i actually got the impression he was referring to a third term.)For a second I thought so too, but I gave him the benefit of a doubt. Whottt's apparent mistakes can be deceptive.

mogrovejo
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
If the war is so evil, what are your troops still doing there? Is it Bush making the decision?

EmptyMan
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
:lmao

Nbadan
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
If the war is so evil, what are your troops still doing there? Is it Bush making the decision?

Because Bush created a power vacuum in the region for Iran that cannot be undone....quit being insincere because you hate Obama...

balli
11-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh yes all those democrats who voted for war were fleeced.They aren't some of the most experinced, and astute political animals on the planet,with constituents who are being employed by the arms industry. no they are fifteen year old catholic school girls who somehow found their panties around their ankles.
I didn't vote for any of those people. Including John Kerry.

And I didn't and still don't approve of them having given George W. Bush authority to conduct the war.

I have no idea if they're individually fools or co-conspirators. It's not my concern either.

Nbadan
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I didn't vote for any of those people. Including John Kerry.

And I didn't and still don't approve of them having given George W. Bush authority to conduct the war.

They never did...

doobs
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure he was joking around.