PDA

View Full Version : So Far, Dirk is the MVP

duncan228
11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
So Far, Dirk is the MVP (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-sofardirkisthemvp&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Over at Basketball-Reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=3978), there’s a day-old article suggesting, almost timorously, that on numbers alone Steve Nash deserves MVP consideration. I’m of the school that questions his 2005-06 award, and believes Nash was denied the 2006-07 trophy simply because three straight would’ve been too much. This year, though, would be as outrageous to me as some found his 2004-05 MVP (weird to recall that Shaq was the other major candidate).

Who got the 2006-07 MVP? Steve’s old pal Dirk, who had to accept the award under a cloud of humiliation after the Mavs were sent home early in the playoffs. The Mavs had been a regular season powerhouse, Dirk had become a tougher, more complete player and unlike the Suns—who started to unravel late in the year—Dallas seemed destined for a championship after making the Finals the previous season. Without discounting Nowitzki’s award, it seems like the voters made a concerted effort to go safe, rather than make a bold choice that would open them up to believing someone else’s hype.

I don’t want to get into a discussion of how these decisions are made or what the award means, if anything. However, if there is an unlikely player who now belongs at the top of anyone’s MVP list, it’s Nowitzki, not Nash.

The safe choices, of course, would be Kobe, LeBron or Wade; even "Nash, once again on top of the Suns offense" would at this point be more predictable. Chris Paul, injuries aside, is going to need to walk on water in the coming months to qualify as even a longshot candidate. Dirk, on the other hand, is having a better season so far than in 2006-07 and leading a far less loaded Mavs team to a really, really strong start in the West.

No one doubted that Dirk was one of the league’s best, or that the Mavs could potentially be a factor in the West. But he’s elevated them from intriguing to legit and asserted that a player who can make his presence felt league-wide, not just a perennial all-star.

endrity
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
He'll never even come close to one again, unless he wins a ring before.

badfish22
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Only way he gets it is if the Mavs finish #1 in the west, and the Cavs don't finish Number #1 or #2 in the East.

Darrin
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm of the thought that it's Wade's turn.

Findog
11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
He'll never win it again, but for what it's worth, he's a better player now than he was in 2007 when he did win it.

lefty
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
he'll never win it again, but for what it's worth, he's a better player now than he was in 2007 when he did win it.
+1

endrity
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
He'll never win it again, but for what it's worth, he's a better player now than he was in 2007 when he did win it.

I think so too, he has added quite a few tricks in the post area, spin moves and hooks once in a while, a down and under which he never had.

His midrange, especially at the top of the key, is about as perfect as this league is ever gonna see.

His passing is one large improvement, he wasn't great at passing out of double teams before, now it seems like they never bother him.

He has become quite a solid defender, never gets lost on rotations, helps out quite nicely in the pick and roll defense.

But I think he has really toughened up quite a bit, he knows when he should take over and how to much more than he used to in 06 and 07. In a way these last couple of years with a lot less talent around than what he was used to have really toughened him. It would be nice if the Mavs can put one more great team around him.

Findog
11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I think so too, he has added quite a few tricks in the post area, spin moves and hooks once in a while, a down and under which he never had.

His midrange, especially at the top of the key, is about as perfect as this league is ever gonna see.

His passing is one large improvement, he wasn't great at passing out of double teams before, now it seems like they never bother him.

He has become quite a solid defender, never gets lost on rotations, helps out quite nicely in the pick and roll defense.

But I think he has really toughened up quite a bit, he knows when he should take over and how to much more than he used to in 06 and 07. In a way these last couple of years with a lot less talent around than what he was used to have really toughened him. It would be nice if the Mavs can put one more great team around him.

Solid post, pretty much encapsulates the evolution in his game. I get so irritated when people say he plays no defense. He'll never be confused with Bill Russell or Dikembe Motumbo, but he has really improved that aspect of his game. Very solid indeed.

We can only hope that the salary cap flexibility the Mavs have built for themselves with Dampier's expiring will yield them another All Star next summer.

mouse
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Dumcan228 come over to the dark side you know you love Dirk and I can tell your a closet Maverick fan jump aboard mate! :toast

Fpoonsie
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm of the thought that it's Wade's turn.

+1

Wade is playin out of his mind right now. I'd hand him the trophy merely for the poster he starred in w/ Varejao...

monosylab1k
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I hate to be a downer here, but who have the Mavs beaten? They got the Lakers, which was a great win, but besides that, who have they really beaten?

Get back to me when they get more quality wins. Dirk has been great but not MVP great.

Findog
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I hate to be a downer here, but who have the Mavs beaten? They got the Lakers, which was a great win, but besides that, who have they really beaten?

Get back to me when they get more quality wins. Dirk has been great but not MVP great.

Who have they lost to? A shitty Wiz team that they didn't take seriously enough, a short-handed Spurs team that they didn't take seriously enough, and they choked away at the FT line in a loss on the road against a shitty 121-63 team.

You cannot shit on their start. They play who is on their schedule.

monosylab1k
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
You cannot shit on their start. They play who is on their schedule.

People said the same thing about the Broncos. Just sayin.

monosylab1k
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
This start beats going 2-7 again, but knee jerking into "Dirk is an MVP candidate and the Mavs are an elite team" is a bit much.

Findog
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
This start beats going 2-7 again, but knee jerking into "Dirk is an MVP candidate and the Mavs are an elite team" is a bit much.

They've had a lot of injuries and have the second-best record in the league. I'll take it. They also have a number of attractive contracts to trade and there are veteran buyouts in February. I doubt you were penciling them in for a Finals trip in November 2005. I'm not saying they're going to win a title this year, but they look as sharp as anybody right now.

As for the MVP award, that almost always goes to the best player on the team with the best regular-season record. Dirk is one of the top 5-10 players in the League right now. That's MVP caliber, for what it's worth. Whether he wins it or not, I don't care. He means as much to his team as Kobe does to his, Paul does to the Hornets, LeBron to the Cavs, etc.

gaKNOW!blee
11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
+1

Wade is playin out of his mind right now. I'd hand him the trophy merely for the poster he starred in w/ Varejao...

I dont know if this is the best thing to say right now. He has been struggling lately.

ElNono
11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
November championship thread...

sonic21
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
well Lebron won the mvp coz he was the best in november-december. Kobe was better after that.

Ghazi
11-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I dunno about MVP but nobody's had more MVP "moments" so far this year than Dirk... the 29 pt 4th quarter against the Jazz, the game winner against the Bucks, and the 4th quarter/OT against the Spurs.

He is shooting under 45% from the field though, although I'd expect that to go up.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Dirk's playing at a very high level, he's the best big man in the NBA right now..it's mid-November though, come on..

Ghazi
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Dirk's playing at a very high level, he's the best big man in the NBA right now..it's mid-November though, come on..

what part of "so far" don't you get? :-P

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Obviously I get it LOL..but MVP talk in November?..it's been like 10 games..

let's talk about how the Hawks are the favorites to win the NBA title right now..

LOL@MavsFan
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
So Far, Dirk is the MVP (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-sofardirkisthemvp&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Over at Basketball-Reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=3978), there’s a day-old article suggesting, almost timorously, that on numbers alone Steve Nash deserves MVP consideration. I’m of the school that questions his 2005-06 award, and believes Nash was denied the 2006-07 trophy simply because three straight would’ve been too much. This year, though, would be as outrageous to me as some found his 2004-05 MVP (weird to recall that Shaq was the other major candidate).

Who got the 2006-07 MVP? Steve’s old pal Dirk, who had to accept the award under a cloud of humiliation after the Mavs were sent home early in the playoffs. The Mavs had been a regular season powerhouse, Dirk had become a tougher, more complete player and unlike the Suns—who started to unravel late in the year—Dallas seemed destined for a championship after making the Finals the previous season. Without discounting Nowitzki’s award, it seems like the voters made a concerted effort to go safe, rather than make a bold choice that would open them up to believing someone else’s hype.

I don’t want to get into a discussion of how these decisions are made or what the award means, if anything. However, if there is an unlikely player who now belongs at the top of anyone’s MVP list, it’s Nowitzki, not Nash.

The safe choices, of course, would be Kobe, LeBron or Wade; even "Nash, once again on top of the Suns offense" would at this point be more predictable. Chris Paul, injuries aside, is going to need to walk on water in the coming months to qualify as even a longshot candidate. Dirk, on the other hand, is having a better season so far than in 2006-07 and leading a far less loaded Mavs team to a really, really strong start in the West.

No one doubted that Dirk was one of the league’s best, or that the Mavs could potentially be a factor in the West. But he’s elevated them from intriguing to legit and asserted that a player who can make his presence felt league-wide, not just a perennial all-star.

League MVP after 10 games...add that to his long resume...2005 Western Conf Champ, 2006 NBA MVP...now 2009-10 ten games in MVP to go along w/ his we beat the Spurs in 08-09 playoffs trophy. Way to go Dirk! Set your expectations low b/c if you don't you'll just end up kicking another exercise bike and getting bltch slapped by D West.

LOL@MavsFan
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM
November championship thread...

That's what Mavs fans thrive on....racking up stats and rings in November! GO MAVS!

Ghazi
11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
4-1

Killakobe81
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Disagree it's Wade's "turn" Melo so far has been more impressive and I dont think Nash deserves it either ...to be fair. I would argue it's been 1.Dirk 2.Kobe 3.Melo 4.JoeJ/Jsmith

Killakobe81
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
It ia wAYYY early but Dirk has been great so far ...

duncan228
11-20-2009, 02:08 AM
New heights: Dallas Mavericks' Nowitzki playing at special level - even for him (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/112009dnspomavslede.327a34c.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki has been unconventional ever since he arrived in Dallas a dozen years ago.

So maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that when the game was on the line Wednesday against San Antonio, Nowitzki was doing what he does best – but doing it in a most unusual way.

After blistering the Spurs with step-back jumpers, Nowitzki was pump-faking and ripping through the defense toward the basket. And finishing with layups and three-point plays.

It wasn't completely shocking. He's done it before. But when crunch time cometh, great players tend to stay in their wheelhouse, not stray toward plan B.

But that's the way Nowitzki rolls.

"Some guys approach the game by getting to the basket first," he said. "I usually try to open my drive up by making a couple jump shots, so I got it all messed up."

Or, maybe, he's got it all figured out, and it's the rest of us who have it all wrong, because it's hard to argue Nowitzki's logic given the results.

"I was able to make a couple [of jumpers] in the second half and they were really pushing up on me, so I was able to get to the basket for some and-ones," he said. "I always approach it the other way. I want to get my shot going first, and that opens the drive for me."

So far, just about every decision Nowitzki has made in the first 12 games of the Mavericks' season has been the right one. In only three weeks, he's piled up a list of outrageous accomplishments.

• He broke a franchise record with 29 points in the fourth quarter of a win over Utah.

• He's topped 40 points twice.

• He's averaging 27.5 points, pulling down 9.3 rebounds per game and averaging career highs in steals (1.08) and blocks (1.58).

The longer the 7-footer keeps doing this, the more he will creep up various lists, like most points. He'll also continue to ascend the mythical list of best international players, which is topped by Hakeem Olajuwon, most experts would agree.

Nowitzki credits a summer free of basketball for making him even hungrier than usual early in the season. His competitive juices were ready to flow from the start.

He's always been a relatively quick starter. But this year he's found a new plateau. Even coach Rick Carlisle, whose job it is to keep a firm grip on perspective and reality, knows this has been a special run for the Mavericks' superstar.

"He's playing great, we know that," Carlisle said. "But we got to keep our eye on the ball. I'll grant you, he's been unbelievable – unbelievable. But I don't want to get too caught up in feeling good about how things have gone. You've got to move on to another game."

Carlisle doesn't want that to sound like it's a what-have-you-done-lately statement. He's impressed, just like everybody else, as Nowitzki has been as good as anybody in the league so far.

Those who used to play against him are impressed, too.

"I had to chase him around, too," Drew Gooden said. "I chased him around when he was a [small forward]. I was looking at the defenders the other night, and I remember being in those shoes doing the same thing – and he hit that shot. Now I'm standing under the rim getting position, and I'm like: 'Do I keep fighting for position or just watch these shots keep going in?' "

Nowitzki didn't just attack the basket Wednesday. He also kept Tim Duncan from doing so in overtime. And in the first half, when neither shots nor foul calls were being made, Nowitzki kept his poise.

That, as much as anything, allowed him to perform heroics in the overtime win. After one of his drives to the rim, Nowitzki struck a bodybuilder's pose, flexing both biceps. He admitted he needs work on that particular move.

But the point was made.

"He's clutch," said Tim Thomas, another first-year Maverick. "I've been on the other side of it. He's one of those guys who has the most confidence in himself and his abilities. He might be struggling for a couple minutes, but he just continues to go after it.

"That's the mentality you want in a guy who is your franchise player."

FOREIGN TERRITORY

Mavericks' beat writer Eddie Sefko, who has covered the NBA for 20 years, puts together his list of best players in league history who were born to international parents.

Hakeem Olajuwon: The Dream Shake remains one of the great unstoppable moves of all time.

Tim Duncan: The rings are the only things that put him above Nowitzki.

Dirk Nowitzki: Helped redefine the power forward position and continues to do so.

Steve Nash: Twice an MVP, he's still going strong when nobody expected him to.

Drazen Petrovic: His untimely death kept him from becoming maybe the best shooter ever.

Others receiving consideration: Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Arvydas Sabonis, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dikembe Mutombo, Hedo Turkoglu, Peja Stojakovic, Sarunas Marciulionis.

FAST STARTER

A look at Dirk Nowitzki's first 12 games this year vs. the last four seasons:

Year PPG FG Reb.
2009 27.5 .447 9.3
2008 24.7 .439 8.3
2007 20.7 .468 7.8
2006 26.4 .502 9.3
2005 25.3 473 8.6

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2009, 03:29 AM
i think dirk has a real chance of winning it if he keeps up the production and securing top2 record in the west....

then again theres are still haters out there that does the voting....the same voters whose been hating on carmelo cause of his on/off court bs....forgive but wont forget...

i think the voters still have a grudge on dirk due to his shit performance against the warriors and the finals against the heat....

mesothorny
11-20-2009, 04:05 AM
New heights: Dallas Mavericks' Nowitzki playing at special level - even for him (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/112009dnspomavslede.327a34c.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki has been unconventional ever since he arrived in Dallas a dozen years ago.

So maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that when the game was on the line Wednesday against San Antonio, Nowitzki was doing what he does best – but doing it in a most unusual way.

After blistering the Spurs with step-back jumpers, Nowitzki was pump-faking and ripping through the defense toward the basket. And finishing with layups and three-point plays.

It wasn't completely shocking. He's done it before. But when crunch time cometh, great players tend to stay in their wheelhouse, not stray toward plan B.

But that's the way Nowitzki rolls.

"Some guys approach the game by getting to the basket first," he said. "I usually try to open my drive up by making a couple jump shots, so I got it all messed up."

Or, maybe, he's got it all figured out, and it's the rest of us who have it all wrong, because it's hard to argue Nowitzki's logic given the results.

"I was able to make a couple [of jumpers] in the second half and they were really pushing up on me, so I was able to get to the basket for some and-ones," he said. "I always approach it the other way. I want to get my shot going first, and that opens the drive for me."

So far, just about every decision Nowitzki has made in the first 12 games of the Mavericks' season has been the right one. In only three weeks, he's piled up a list of outrageous accomplishments.

• He broke a franchise record with 29 points in the fourth quarter of a win over Utah.

• He's topped 40 points twice.

• He's averaging 27.5 points, pulling down 9.3 rebounds per game and averaging career highs in steals (1.08) and blocks (1.58).

The longer the 7-footer keeps doing this, the more he will creep up various lists, like most points. He'll also continue to ascend the mythical list of best international players, which is topped by Hakeem Olajuwon, most experts would agree.

Nowitzki credits a summer free of basketball for making him even hungrier than usual early in the season. His competitive juices were ready to flow from the start.

He's always been a relatively quick starter. But this year he's found a new plateau. Even coach Rick Carlisle, whose job it is to keep a firm grip on perspective and reality, knows this has been a special run for the Mavericks' superstar.

"He's playing great, we know that," Carlisle said. "But we got to keep our eye on the ball. I'll grant you, he's been unbelievable – unbelievable. But I don't want to get too caught up in feeling good about how things have gone. You've got to move on to another game."

Carlisle doesn't want that to sound like it's a what-have-you-done-lately statement. He's impressed, just like everybody else, as Nowitzki has been as good as anybody in the league so far.

Those who used to play against him are impressed, too.

"I had to chase him around, too," Drew Gooden said. "I chased him around when he was a [small forward]. I was looking at the defenders the other night, and I remember being in those shoes doing the same thing – and he hit that shot. Now I'm standing under the rim getting position, and I'm like: 'Do I keep fighting for position or just watch these shots keep going in?' "

Nowitzki didn't just attack the basket Wednesday. He also kept Tim Duncan from doing so in overtime. And in the first half, when neither shots nor foul calls were being made, Nowitzki kept his poise.

That, as much as anything, allowed him to perform heroics in the overtime win. After one of his drives to the rim, Nowitzki struck a bodybuilder's pose, flexing both biceps. He admitted he needs work on that particular move.

But the point was made.

"He's clutch," said Tim Thomas, another first-year Maverick. "I've been on the other side of it. He's one of those guys who has the most confidence in himself and his abilities. He might be struggling for a couple minutes, but he just continues to go after it.

"That's the mentality you want in a guy who is your franchise player."

FOREIGN TERRITORY

Mavericks' beat writer Eddie Sefko, who has covered the NBA for 20 years, puts together his list of best players in league history who were born to international parents.

Hakeem Olajuwon: The Dream Shake remains one of the great unstoppable moves of all time.

Tim Duncan: The rings are the only things that put him above Nowitzki.

Dirk Nowitzki: Helped redefine the power forward position and continues to do so.

Steve Nash: Twice an MVP, he's still going strong when nobody expected him to.

Drazen Petrovic: His untimely death kept him from becoming maybe the best shooter ever.

Others receiving consideration: Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Arvydas Sabonis, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dikembe Mutombo, Hedo Turkoglu, Peja Stojakovic, Sarunas Marciulionis.

FAST STARTER

A look at Dirk Nowitzki's first 12 games this year vs. the last four seasons:

Year PPG FG Reb.
2009 27.5 .447 9.3
2008 24.7 .439 8.3
2007 20.7 .468 7.8
2006 26.4 .502 9.3
2005 25.3 473 8.6

:lol

Sportstudi
11-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Nice read :toast

However, Sefco needs to investigate a bit more carefully. :p:
Nowitzki isn't averaging a career high in steals, that was in 2002-03 (1.4 spg).

Basketballgirl25
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
if MVP was given in the beginning of the season, Dirk would get it, but it is a long season, players can get better and players can get worse with the long season

Allanon
11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Best so far this season?

1. Nash
2. Kobe
3. Melo
4. Dirk
5. Wade
6. Brandon Jennings - Only the Hawks have a better loss record than the Bucks in the NBA...are you kidding me?

Somebody deserves it on the Hawks but nobody has really stood out...Joe Johnson perhaps?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Honestly if he keeps playing like this Kobe is the MVP.

Fpoonsie
11-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I dont know if this is the best thing to say right now. He has been struggling lately.

Admittedly, I haven't watched too many Heat games...only the ones that were nationally televised. Announcers continued to make mention of how well he'd been playin lately. That, and like I said...

I'd hand him the trophy merely for the poster he starred in w/ Varejao...

badfish22
11-21-2009, 02:11 AM
A couple more crazy stats so far from Dirk:

Dirk has 2 TO's over the past 5 games. For a guy that gets the ball every play, thats crazy.

Dirk leads the NBA with a +43.2 net for the season.

For comparison Net's.

Dirk: +43.2
Wade: +23.4
Kobe: +20.4
LeBron: +16.4
TD: +0.2
D12: +18.6

+20 better than the next best superstar.