PDA

View Full Version : George Hill Appreciation Thread

AussieFanKurt
11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I can't believe he hasn't got one yet. He's putting the most heart and effort into every game he steps into. A force for the future no doubt.

:toast

TIMMYD!
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
A toast to George's play, he's earned it. :toast

SamoanTD
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
ehhhh im still not so sold on hill as the rest of you are.

Chomag
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Great to have for a back but he is still not ready for a starting job. imo

He still has and has shown a ton of potential though.

DynastySpurs210
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
George Hill stills in a learning process, can say much about him now till later in the season but he's doing a really good job. I except him the be an candidate of the most improve player on the year .

celldweller
11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's to you George! :toast

Chieflion
11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
George Hill played well and I hope he continues to. Hooray for GHill3.

ulosturedge
11-19-2009, 07:45 PM
George Hill is doing more then I expected him to be doing for just being in the beginning of his 2nd year. Hopefully he can work on dishing the ball off to people more. Its a lot to ask for someone who has been playing as a 2 all his life, but he has good work ethic and a decent basketball IQ so I think he can make it happen.

EmptyMan
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Love the dude (no homo)

bigdog
11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Hill is loaded with potential and I can see him being a starting PG in the future. I agree he's still learning and has a long way to go, but that's a good thing. He's already a good player and can get even better. Props to Hill. Keep it up.

silverblackfan
11-19-2009, 07:56 PM
George Hill continues to improve every game and fills a much needed athletic defensive role. Combine that with his occasional offensive drives or even dunks, and he is someone that is worth watching. I am liking him more every time he hits the court.

alchemist
11-19-2009, 08:00 PM
The guy still needs to work on a lot of things, he still cannot run the offensive effectively. Bogans defended JJ way better than Hill did aswell. What is great about Hill is that he's hungry to learn and that's more than you can say for a lot of players in the League.

Zero_Twilight
11-19-2009, 08:27 PM
For a guy who has very limited minutes, he really takes advantage of the time he gets. You can tell he has a good work ethic and his teamates are starting to trust him more.

Once he learns better court awareness and starts to see gaps is the different types of defensive schemes, he will be a force to be reckoned with. Sorta like a Monta Ellis pre-accident.

He's doing things that are difficult for a rookie/sophmore to do with the Spurs system.

Here's to you George.:toast

P.S. Tony is STILL the offensive juggernaut of this team though so let's not get too high.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
This hILLS team now!!!

Samr
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
You know, the refs aren't making a case for Tim Donaghy not being full of shit.

I think he might be onto something actually.

doobs
11-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Oops.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Seriously we need a backup PG for GHILL3, that scrub TP isnt doing the job atm when his out injured and GHILL3 carrying the team with no backup at the PG position

in2deep
11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
George Hill is the shit!

benefactor
11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
George Hill is the shit!
Let's just get rid of him and let Mason handle all the PG duties.

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Agreed, he's been our most passionate player so far, along with Timmy.

mystargtr34
11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I hated his play against the Mavs for 3 quarters..... way too passive. He comes of a screen, and then dribbles in one spot 3 times and goes back to the top of the key - i got to a point where i was about to throw the remote through the TV...

Then, during the last quarter he started to put his head down and actually make some plays, and i was impressed with his play from then on. Once he gets that 100% agressive mentality, he will be much better.

hater
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
he was holding his own vs. DWill. A top 5 PG in the league!!!

:wow

urunobili
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I wasn't overly impressed last night... :wakeup

hater
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM

dude he is a late round pick on only his 2nd year. and already is starting PG material. :downspin:

The Red Hood
11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
he was holding his own vs. DWill. A top 5 PG in the league!!!

:wow
Williams got in his face towards the end of the game. George completely tuned him out and kept playing. Fuck foul trouble.

boutons_deux
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Like Blair, George shows he really ENJOYS playing the game, instead of it being a JOB.

Spursfan092120
11-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I was at the game last night, 8 rows from the court. If you weren't impressed, you should have been. Going up against D-Will and playing like he did, he was fantastic. If he can get his fouling under wraps, he could be a future all star.

bigdog
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Why are people not sold on Hill? He has the talent to be a future star in this league. He's already shown flashes of it. He's been one of the most consistent players for the Spurs.

5in10
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Can someone please make a highlight video of GH3 on youtube, im suprised no one has done it yet. I would if i knew how.

NRHector
11-24-2009, 01:39 PM
George Hill has the potential to be better than Tony Parker in a few more years, he is already doing some of Parker's move.

mingus
11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
George Hill is looking like a really nice player at this point. another gem by our front office (we knew this before, but it's becoming crystal clear right now).

i'm starting to wonder if a line-up of Hill, Manu, and RJ is better than if you substituted Parker in for Hill. Hill is obviously the better defender and shooter at this point. he might even be the better passer. i always knew how one-dimensional Parker was, but it's pretty apparent when you compare him to Hill.

TIMMYD!
11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
We need to get 'Dice some more open J looks.

5in10
11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
i'm starting to wonder if a line-up of Hill, Manu, and RJ is better than if you substituted Parker in for Hill. Hill is obviously the better defender and shooter at this point. he might even be the better passer. i always knew how one-dimensional Parker was, but it's pretty apparent when you compare him to Hill.

Agree. Since the emergence of george hill it just seems like parker can put our offense in a rut because he tends to hold on to the ball too much, and can tend to force shots.

NRHector
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
George Hill is looking like a really nice player at this point. another gem by our front office (we knew this before, but it's becoming crystal clear right now).

i'm starting to wonder if a line-up of Hill, Manu, and RJ is better than if you substituted Parker in for Hill. Hill is obviously the better defender and shooter at this point. he might even be the better passer. i always knew how one-dimensional Parker was, but it's pretty apparent when you compare him to Hill.:stirpot:

Buddy Holly
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Agree. Since the emergence of george hill it just seems like parker can put our offense in a rut because he tends to hold on to the ball too much, and can tend to force shots.

Yep. That's what happened in the second qt. which caused the Spurs to lose their lead.

ShoogarBear
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
he might even be the better passer.

:lmao

ShoogarBear
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM
And no, Tony Parker is not a great passer.

boutons_deux
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
We finally get a young, athletic, EFFECTIVE p/g worthy of the name, one who might even increase the lead rather than just hold or lose it, for the first time 5+ years?, and people still aren't satisfied.

Solid D
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
His defense on Jennings' drives was quite good last night. He had a nice swat from behind on one and his length really bothered several of Brandon's layup attempts. He was like a "Sunsetter Awning" hanging over Jennings.

gospursgojas
11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Whether at pg or 2guard, the spurs offense runs smoother with hill in the game.

There are times when he's out and the spurs seem lost and I'm looking for pop to put him in more than anyone.

5in10
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Whether at pg or 2guard, the spurs offense runs smoother with hill in the game.

There are times when he's out and the spurs seem lost and I'm looking for pop to put him in more than anyone.

+100
I feel the same way. He has also basically become Ginobili insurance because of the way he can now run the offense.

UnWantedTheory
11-24-2009, 04:11 PM
um...
Dear Ghill, you are appreciated.

gospursgojas
11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
+100
I feel the same way. He has also basically become Ginobili insurance because of the way he can now run the offense.

Yes he has filled manu's off the bench role very well. Maybe now pop can start manu. He won't have to worry about manu being the spark off the bench.

Not saying sub hill in for manu. But if pop's concerns about starting manu were bc of a drop in bench production. Maybe now he has his answer.

kace
11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
good: the intensity he can bring to the game (especially on the defensive end)
bad: playmaking / assists per game.

overall: :tu

DPG21920
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
good: the intensity he can bring to the game (especially on the defensive end)
bad: playmaking / assists per game.

overall: :tu

I disagree with the play making. I think "bad" is too harsh. Inconsistent might be the proper description. When Hill is not on stand-by mode, he makes quite a few plays whether it be a 3 pointer, breaking down the defense or drawing a foul.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
With Manu out Hill is figuring out that he's got to be in attack mode non-stop when he's on the floor and it's paying off.

kace
11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I disagree with the play making. I think "bad" is too harsh. Inconsistent might be the proper description. When Hill is not on stand-by mode, he makes quite a few plays whether it be a 3 pointer, breaking down the defense or drawing a foul.

it seems i misused (and misunderstood) the word "playmaking". i meant make plays for others, not creating his own shot or havoc in the defense. my bad.

anyway the offense is rather fluid with him.
that proves, and we should know it very well with Tony doing his thing for many years, that you don't necessarily need a floor general pass first PG to make an offense smooth.

his very very low number of APG is suspect though.

but the amazing intensity he brings to the game.... it's great to see it from a young player.

DPG21920
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
^

True, I just thought you meant two different things because you had listed assist and play making. His passing needs work for sure, but he showed some solid passing last night and it is a good step forward.

But Hill, like so many others, has to fight the urge to stand around and constantly defer to the big 3. It is going to happen from time to time, but if the Spurs and Hill are going to be legit, they must minimize the times that happens.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2009, 06:31 PM
George Hill is looking more and more like a legit combo guard who can contribute big time.

He reminds me of a Delonte West combo guard player. Although West may be the better shooter/playmaker, Hill is by far the better defender and athlete.

kace
11-24-2009, 06:34 PM
^

True, I just thought you meant two different things because you had listed assist and play making. His passing needs work for sure, but he showed some solid passing last night and it is a good step forward.

But Hill, like so many others, has to fight the urge to stand around and constantly defer to the big 3. It is going to happen from time to time, but if the Spurs and Hill are going to be legit, they must minimize the times that happens.

well, more than the big 3, it seems that playing with Tony or Manu can make him a little shy that's true. same for RJ in a way.

we used to have only two players making things happen from the perimeter for so long. now, we have four and it will ask some time to adjust i guess.

Blackjack
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
^

Agree.

Last night was the best point-guard play Hill's had in his short Spurs career.

For the most part, he's been content to take care of the ball, initiate the offense, make the extra pass, and attack for his own offense when the opportunity presented itself.

Against the Bucks, George was actually running the offense and making plays for his teammates. He attacked off the dribble to collapse the defense and find open shooters, he orchestrated some nice pick-and-pops/pick-and-rolls, and he generally got the ball to the right spots and made the right decision to look for his own offense; had to be the best overall decision-making I've seen from him offensively.

The defense was borderline stellar, could nitpick a bit, but he's making my early predictions of a potential Ellis/Barbosa-level player -- in terms of star status -- to be selling him a bit short.

George Hill make sex to me?:)

EP Money Man
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=153&pictureid=993

:ihit

Interrohater
11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=153&pictureid=993

:ihit

:lol Now that's some good defense from Boogeyman. Durant looks entirely uncomfortable.

And Deron Williams looks like "...wtf...? this dude got some long ass arms...."

5in10
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkLTAxlkaU

finally someone made a video of gh3 highlights, although its a little short for my taste.

temujin
12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Surely and steadily the Spurs are getting another Johnny Moore.

Provided that some folks here ever watched Johnny Moore play.

Or even know who he was.

mosdef17
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Dont you just love this guy!!! I thought he was fantastic tonight, one of the best games he has played in his short career. The general opinion on him is correct- he does not look like a 2nd year player at all. Great defense tonight, hit 6/7, 4 boards, 6 assists. 13 points off 7 shots? Great production in 28mins off the bench...

I have a man crush.

Shastafarian
01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Hill and Duncan are the reasons the Spurs won the game.

Duncan21kid
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Hill, Manu and Duncan are the reasons the Spurs won the game.

Fixed :flag:

EricB
01-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Hill and Duncan are the reasons the Spurs won the game.

Parker contributed too.

Good game from Parker.

angelbelow
01-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Nice game by George tonight. Solid all around game.

Kori Ellis
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
George was awesome. I'm a big fan of the Hill-Parker backcourt, so I'm glad we got to see that in stretches tonight.

I don't care if it was a Gasol-less, half-Kobe-less win. It's good to see the Spurs playing some swarming D and clicking offensively in the same game.

EricB
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
George was awesome. I'm a big fan of the Hill-Parker backcourt, so I'm glad we got to see that in stretches tonight.

I don't care if it was a Gasol-less, half-Kobe-less win. It's good to see the Spurs playing some swarming D and clicking offensively in the same game.

Yeah the Hill Parker backcourt showed lots of great chemistry out there, and with George's length, he really makes up for the lack of height problem.

ffadicted
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Hill was insane this game, very appropriate bump!

superjames1992
01-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Hill is money from the corner pocket.

He's like a Bowen clone in that regard.

Kool Bob Love
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2chm8nr.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/vni4b8.gif

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
If we want to beat the Lakers, he has to have games like this..

Hill is without a doubt better than Farmar and Brown..I really have no doubts about that..he just has to stay aggressive against those guys and he'll beat them every time on both ends of the floor..

Hill's having a good stretch of basketball right now..hopefully this is going to help get his career going..

phxspurfan
01-13-2010, 12:23 AM
GH3 is starter quality. He may even have a higher ceiling than TP at this point. His size, defense and athleticism all rival TP.

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
For me yesterday was the best Hill game as a pro

BillMc
01-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Here's to you George! :toast

:toast:toast:toast:toast

silverblackfan
01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
For me yesterday was the best Hill game as a pro

Yeah, he seemed to relish playing against Kobe and did a pretty good Bowen impression of irritating him. He has great offensive skills and athletic ability and the hard-nosed attitude that is necessary to keep improving.
Definitely my favorite young player.

ATRAIN
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2chm8nr.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/vni4b8.gif

This shit was beautiful

TJastal
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
This shit was beautiful

Funniest part of that steal is watching Kobe curl up in the fetal position afterwards.

:lmao

5in10
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Matt Roberts (Texas)

Thanks for the chat! Your salary should be doubled! George Hill looks much improved this year. Is he starter material or a career backup?
David Thorpe
(12:36 PM)

I think he can be a starter. I'm a big fan.

lurker23
01-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Bump.

GH3 has been playing great basketball recently. Ever since being inserted into the starting lineup, his scoring and aggression have been very impressive. As has been said several times before on this board, if George continues to play up to his potential, he could be a permanent main-stay in the starting lineup next to Parker.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 01:34 AM
It certainly does seem that way. He has been playing very well on both ends for the most part. I do have some concerns about whether or not he can be a starter for a championship caliber team, but I don't see a better option at this point.

ivanfromwestwood
01-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Bump.
if George continues to play up to his potential, he could be a permanent main-stay in the starting lineup next to Parker. or his replacement.lol j/k.

spurs1990
01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
6 starts and 15 points per game.

He's either our next solid long-term solution at guard or one hell of a trade bait for a talented big in the next few weeks.

benefactor
01-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Love that gif. I think I'll switch mine for the stretch run.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-30-2010, 01:01 PM
It certainly does seem that way. He has been playing very well on both ends for the most part. I do have some concerns about whether or not he can be a starter for a championship caliber team, but I don't see a better option at this point.

What kind of concerns?

exstatic
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
George has improved SO much this year. If DeJuan makes a similar jump this summer, he could be like a 12/10 player.

duncanCOSTARICA
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Hill gives us the chance to trade for tonyP instead of manu

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Hill gives us the chance to trade for tonyP instead of manu

I wouldn't go that far. He is exceeding expectations, but he is not a solid pg. He is an above average defender, but he is often a non-factor in offensive production. I'm not ready to give up Tony without another solid pg on the roster. Let's not get carried away.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
What kind of concerns?

Consistency and play making ability. His defense is normally good, but it is still inconsistent and he does still pick up fouls.

He is still young and has plenty of time to improve, but I can see a couple of things that could be a problem. But as far as right now, he has made very nice strides in his second year. Like I said, I don't really see a downside to him starting either.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Like I said, I don't really see a downside to him starting either.

Uh . . . yeah, as long as Tony is out, sure, but we aren't winning a playoff series with George Hill as our starting pg. You guys can't be serious.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Uh . . . yeah, as long as Tony is out, sure, but we aren't winning a playoff series with George Hill as our starting pg. You guys can't be serious.

I am talking about starting him with TP.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I am talking about starting him with TP.

I'm cool with that, but I still would prefer a solid back-up pg on the roster. A combo of Manu and Mase backing up TP is passable, but not ideal and takes both players out of their natural position where they are most effective. I actually prefer Hill at the 2.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
The problem is that we have too many good players who are best suited as 2 guards. It leaves us inconsistent in back-up points and weak on back-up swings (where we are already weak). The imbalance of the Spurs roster is a major issue heading down the stretch.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm cool with that, but I still would prefer a solid back-up pg on the roster. A combo of Manu and Mase backing up TP is passable, but not ideal and takes both players out of their natural position where they are most effective. I actually prefer Hill at the 2.

Hill can do fine as the back up role. You just keep him in when you sub TP out.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Hill can do fine as the back up role. You just keep him in when you sub TP out.

He will, eventually, get tired.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
He will, eventually, get tired.

If you have watched the games, this is what Pop is doing and it is working. He is still managing to monitor Hill's minutes.

5in10
01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Yall wouldn't be putting down his playmaking if people would just finish his assists.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
If you have watched the games, this is what Pop is doing and it is working. He is still managing to monitor Hill's minutes.

I have watched every game available and if Tony and George both start, someone else, besides those two will have to fill in at point. Either Manu, or Mase. This discussion is starting to get a little silly.

DPG21920
01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
TP is the starter, Hill is the back up point and Manu is the third. Even with Hill starting at the SG spot, he still is the primary back up PG.

ohmwrecker
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Yall wouldn't be putting down his playmaking if people would just finish his assists.

Well, OK . . . but George also needs to work on his timing with his passes. He is still learning how to play the position. I think he is a good player and all, but you guys are getting a little goofy.

FkLA
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Its not like Parker has Nash-esque passing ability or vision...

And lets not compare Hill and Parker solelyt at what Parker does best, which is penetrating...of course Hill is not in Parker's class when it comes to that. Although he is no slouch, he can get to the basket and some of his coast to coast fastbreaks have been reminiscent of Tony. Hill does however bring a more complete package, much better shooting and defense. And while I do not think he is a better player he is more than a capable replacement. Im with the people that say Hill's emergence has afforded us the luxury to deal Parker if the deal is right.

5in10
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
This is from espn fantasy basketball front page:

George Hill, PG, San Antonio Spurs (1.8 percent owned): Act fast on this one. The sophomore from IUPUI has scored 15 or more points in four of his past five contests, and with news that Tony Parker will miss several games with an ankle sprain, Hill's worth an immediate add in all formats if you're looking for short-term value and have a roster spot. He impressed as a rookie role player last season, but now he's a crucial part of the rotation, hustles on the defensive end and isn't afraid to take his shots (nine 3-point attempts in a recent contest). He's also showed marked improvement in two critical areas, shooting and turnovers. Hill improved his field goal percentage from .403 last season to .461 this season, and he's currently averaging the same one turnover per game as he did last season despite an increase in minutes from 16 to 25 per game. His numbers have improved across the board, most notably in scoring average (5.7 in '08-09, 10.1 this season). Perhaps most importantly, he's averaging 15.7 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.3 3s and 0.6 steals while shooting 46.0 percent from the floor and 73.5 percent from the line as a starter. Another promising stat? He's hoisted 23 3-point attempts in his past five games, and is shooting 38 percent from downtown on the season. Hill has played well alongside Parker (the tandem averaged 34.1 points per game in the five games leading up to Parker's injury), meaning he has value regardless of Parker's injury. Gregg Popovich won't hesitate to rest Parker enough to ensure he's fresh for the playoffs, which should mean increased PT for Hill even when Parker returns.

angelbelow
01-31-2010, 01:26 AM
I think Hill is pretty inconsistent when it comes to attacking the rim. The past few games have been a positive sign that he has the confidence to take it to the hole and finish. I hope he keeps up this aggression when it comes to attacking the rim.

5in10
01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
^ ditto but the same can be said about Manu and Jefferson as well.

Josepatches_
02-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Tied Career high in points:23 and new career high in assist with 9.

He can be a SG but he's a pretty good PG too.The best back up PG we have since.......

And he's still improving.

tomtom
02-04-2010, 03:51 AM
I actually thought he was being overrated early while Pop was praising him like mad but he's been playing some great ball lately. Career high in points and assists is a good sign. Hopefully he can keep up the playmaking and aggressiveness

mosdef17
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
I bumped this thread midseason, and I'm doing it again! LOVE this guy...

AussieFanKurt
04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Good option, as the OP I probably should have bumped it