PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Pop: Manu could miss a week

duncan228
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Pop: Manu could miss a week (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/pop-manu-could.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Injured Spurs guard Manu Ginobili underwent a battery of tests this afternoon that confirmed the original diagnosis of a strained left groin. He is expected to be out about a week, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Ginobili left Wednesday night's loss in Dallas after just 7 1/2 minutes and did not return. He had also been dealing with a tight hamstring that had caused him to miss the fourth quarter of the Spurs' loss to Oklahoma City on Saturday.

Popovich said he was surprised Ginobili was already battling nagging injuries, especially since the guard rested the entire summer while recuperating from a stress fracture in his right ankle.

"I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't disappointed that he's been hurt in different ways since he did rest this summer," Popovich said before tonight's game against Utah. "I'm surprised by it. I didn't expect it. But we still have to deal with it."

The Spurs will be without a double dose of All-Star guards tonight. Tony Parker, nursing a sprained left ankle, will join Ginobili on the inactive list.

Popovich's plan for dealing with the loss of the pair remains the same.

"We just do what we do," Popovich said. "Same plays, nothing changes. Just different people doing it."

Hit the link for the audio.

AUDIO: Gregg Popovich's pregame comments (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/pop-manu-could.html)

antimvp
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
pop disingenuous, nah, really, since when LOL

fucking rabies shots.

DPG21920
11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Man, hearing Pop say that has got to just kill Ginobili. He seems like the type of guy that hates the thought of letting people down.

spurtilldeath
11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Some info. on Groin strain:

Groin pulls are often seen in athletics who participate in sports such as ice hockey and soccer. The injury appears to be related to factors including hip muscle strength, preseason conditioning, and previous injury. Because of this, proper conditioning is of utmost importance to prevent the occurrence of a groin strain injury. Athletes, especially hockey and soccer players, should incorporate adductor strengthening (http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainstraintreatment/ss/groinstretch.htm), pelvic stabilization (http://exercise.about.com/cs/butthipsthighs/l/bllegsbuttthigh.htm), and core strengthening exercises (http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm) into their workouts to prevent the occurrence of a pulled groin.

spurtilldeath
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I think in Manu's case, hamstrings tightening and now groin is all related to his lack of conditioning. I think he needs to get his conditioning back slowly instead getting into the thick of action right away. Easier said than done though....

spurtilldeath
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Man, hearing Pop say that has got to just hurt Ginobili. He seems like the type of guy just hates the thought of letting people down.

I agree...Manu is going to feel bad. Hope he keeps his motivation and spirits up.

phyzik
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Has Ginobilli posted anything on Twitter or his website? The dude is an all-world competitor, even Kobe admires him and Kobe is a fierce competitor himself. This has got to be very frustrating for Manu.

Quiet Strength
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Damn it is so annoying that manu is always injured... he is such a great player but him always being injured is hurting the team

lurker23
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I would say just shut him down for a week or two, but complete shut down didn't seem to help too much with the offseason. I will say, though, that when he says he's ready to return and when the trainers say he's ready to return, hold him out at least one more game. Maybe let him practice and get in a little rhythm, but error on the side of holding him out too long.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Well, I think it's a good news. I was afraid he'd be out 4-6 weeks so 1 week is good.

Ginobili's MRI Comes Back Promising

Nov 19, 2009 8:06 PM EST
Manu Ginobili underwent an MRI examination this afternoon in San Antonio. The exam confirmed that he has a mild left groin strain and showed that he has no structural damage in the area. Ginobili will begin his rehabilitation process on Friday. He is expected to miss seven-to-ten days. Ginobili suffered the injury in the first quarter of last night’s Spurs-Mavericks game.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62887/20091119/ginobilis_mri_comes_back_promising/

lurker23
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
He is expected to miss seven-to-ten days. Ginobili suffered the injury in the first quarter of last night’s Spurs-Mavericks game.

7 days would put him out for 4 home games: Utah, Washington, Milwaukee, and Golden State.

10 days would put him out for a total of 6 games, including at Houston on 11/27 and home against Philadelphia on 11/29.

If they go for the latter time-frame, he will have a total of 14 days to recover, from today (11/19) to their home game against Boston (12/3).

ducks
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
getting closer to my prediction that he would be lucky to play 70 games

timvp
11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I consider this good news. The way Ginobili acted after the injury, I was worried something was really wrong. A mild groin strain isn't too bad.

I want Ginobili to sit until his groin and hamstring are 100%. With his style of play, he's prone to overcompensating and injuring something else.

Get well :tu

doobs
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
The Spurs need to take the attitude that they can't rely on Manu. He needs to be the cherry on top.

Just get something going with Parker, Hill, RJ, Duncan, and Dice---with contributions from Bogans, Blair, Finley, Mason, and Bonner---and see what happens. If Manu comes back, great. He'll be the spark off the bench and the leader of the second unit. If not, life goes on.

Samr
11-19-2009, 10:48 PM
i wonder how this might effect his "contract extension."

roycrikside
11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Some info. on Groin strain:

Groin pulls are often seen in athletics who participate in sports such as ice hockey and soccer. The injury appears to be related to factors including hip muscle strength, preseason conditioning, and previous injury. Because of this, proper conditioning is of utmost importance to prevent the occurrence of a groin strain injury. Athletes, especially hockey and soccer players, should incorporate adductor strengthening (http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainstraintreatment/ss/groinstretch.htm), pelvic stabilization (http://exercise.about.com/cs/butthipsthighs/l/bllegsbuttthigh.htm), and core strengthening exercises (http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm) into their workouts to prevent the occurrence of a pulled groin.

Screw Pop, from the sound of it, HE'S THE REASON MANU IS INJURED. He ordered Manu to sit on his butt all summer instead of getting in shape. He didn't play him many minutes in the preseason and sat him completely half the games and then threw Manu into the regular season almost completely cold and out of rhythm.

Either Pop didn't consult with his trainers at all in his treatment of Manu, or more likely, considering how they've misdiagnosed some of his injuries before, the Spurs just have some shitty, shitty trainers.

(Which Tony certainly would agree with as well).

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Or you can look at the most logical reason, which is that Manu is getting older and has become injury prone..

Blackjack
11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
I can't remember anyone with a groin injury coming back after a week and not re-aggravating it.

He should be out a minimum of 2-weeks, as far as I'm concerned; the Spurs have no choice but to take it on the chin short-term if they have any hope for their long-term goals..

timvp
11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I can't remember anyone with a groin injury coming back after a week and not re-aggravating it.

He should be out a minimum of 2-weeks, as far as I'm concerned; the Spurs have no choice but to take it on the chin short-term if they have any hope for their long-term goals..

Yeah, seven days after as much pain as Ginobili was in? I doubt that. Two weeks will probably be much more likely ... if not longer.

ElNono
11-20-2009, 12:17 AM
7 to 10 days is indeed good news. I think more important than giving extra time after healing is to bring him in at a slower pace. Bring him back for just a few mins then progressively increase them.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Okafor would be nice..same with trying to get a Salmons/Thomas package from Chicago in a 3-way with our Manu/Mason/Finley expirings + fillers..

ElNono
11-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, seven days after as much pain as Ginobili was in? I doubt that. Two weeks will probably be much more likely ... if not longer.

To be honest, I was watching video today of him on the bench in Dallas, and he looked more frustrated than in pain. You could even read his lips saying 'La puta madre' before sinking his head in the towel. :lol

ElNono
11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Okafor would be nice..same with trying to get a Salmons/Thomas package from Chicago in a 3-way with our Manu/Mason/Finley expirings + fillers..

We need a playmaker to replace Manu. I thought it was painfully obvious after the last few games...

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
It was the same issue with Manu in the lineup too, it didn't make a difference..

Parker and Duncan are playmakers, Jefferson is capable of putting up points..we need to adjust to the new players and work the system around it..we have enough from a talent perspective..

This team still needs an interior player more than anything, the inside game is still the main flaw of this team..defense creates easier points, defense sets a good tempo..

More important than anything, we need somebody that will actually be on the court..

JustinJDW
11-20-2009, 12:30 AM
So I am guessing the earliest Game he can play is next Friday against the Rockets. Knowing Pop though, it will probably be better if he sits out that Game and the Sixers Game the Sunday of that week.

The next Game after that isn't until four days after that on a Thursday against Boston, so my prediction is that he will sit out a total of two weeks and the six games in those two weeks, which include the Utah game tonight.

I hope they don't let him play until he is completely fine. No more of this crap.

murpjf88
11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
that means he'll be out three weeks

completely deck
11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Manu's Twitter/Facebook:

Manu Ginobili (http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili?ref=nf) Good News: MRI was negative, so nothing serious. Will be back soon. Bad News: Out for a week and we lost again. // Buenas Noticias: No tengo nada grave, solo contractura. Mala Noticias: Estaré afuera una semanita y hoy volvimos a perder. No recuerdo un record tan malo desde que llegué acá... Ya lo daremos vuelta.

Zero_Twilight
11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Manu's Twitter/Facebook:

[/B]

Thx for the update. That is truly good news.

ElNono
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM
It was the same issue with Manu in the lineup too, it didn't make a difference..

Parker and Duncan are playmakers, Jefferson is capable of putting up points..we need to adjust to the new players and work the system around it..we have enough from a talent perspective..

This team still needs an interior player more than anything, the inside game is still the main flaw of this team..defense creates easier points, defense sets a good tempo..

More important than anything, we need somebody that will actually be on the court..

I disagree. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
And we have plenty of players that can be on the court. The problem is none of them can create shots for other people. Tony is primarily a scorer. Duncan can't play 48 minutes. Okafor/Thomas can't even create their own shot.

I would suggest somebody, but I really can't think of anybody that's available or could be made available with a playmaking skillset.

ElNono
11-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Manu's Twitter/Facebook:

[/B]

:tu

BTW, what he said in the last part of the Spanish version is: "I don't remember such a bad record since I've been here. We will turn it around"

completely deck
11-20-2009, 12:45 AM
:tu

BTW, what he said in the last part of the Spanish version is: "I don't remember such a bad record since I've been here. We will turn it around"

:toast Thanks, I forgot to read and try to guess what he's saying in Spanish this time :lol

TMTTRIO
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
By the way he answered a lot of questions tonight on his forum and it sounds like he was more pissed off about it than anything else.

tymi-spurs
How is your health?
It came very well, pretty bad today. I had a strained groin against Dallas and it pisses me off enough.