PDA

View Full Version : Waive Marcus Haislip, Sign Antonio Daniels

timvp
11-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't see a need for Marcus Haislip. Bonner has played well enough to be the "stretch big" the Spurs want. Jefferson can play the small ball four. McDyess looks mobile enough that he isn't too much of a liability against swift bigs. If injuries open up bigman minutes, I'd rather see Mahinmi. I don't see where Haislip fills any type of need.

Antonio Daniels is a shell of his former self but he actually fits some needs. The Spurs need a third string point guard -- especially since Parker has fragile ankles, Ginobili is always going to be an injury worry and Hill is foul prone. AD is better than any other point guard available simply because he knows the system on both ends. His ballhandling and ability to get to the line is enough for me to say he's better than RMJ as a point guard.

As long as the Spurs are going all in this year, might as well continue making moves that give the team a better chance to win.

benefactor
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
:tu

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Agree,
There's no reason to have Haislip on the roster.

AD is a better option at backup PG then Mason

timtonymanu
11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
buh, buh Haislip was suppose to be our defensive stopper against Dirk, Odom, or Rashard Lewis. Remember he's Rasheed 2.0.

spursfan1000
11-19-2009, 11:22 PM
We never even got a chance to see him play, but yea we need another PG incase we get an injury like we have now with Parker.

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I actually had hopes for Haislip, clearly I was an idiot lol

I agree that we need another PG though. When both Parker and Hill were out in the clutch tonight, and no Manu to handle the ball, my heart stopped and I gave up on the game. I don't want to see that ever happening again.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Might as well..... RMJ as a back up PG makes me sad.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2009, 11:25 PM
isnt haislip on 2yr minimum contract? lol

gameFACE
Daniels would only be playing while Tony and Manu are hurt. Would he really sign with a team that's going to put him on an inactive list? He might choke somebody.

DesignatedT
fuck

timvp
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM
The only drawback (other than having to eat Haislip's contract) is that it could cause Hill to press. But if Hill can't beat out the corpse of AD, the Spurs have bigger problems . . .

duncan228
Duncan is still close to him...

Kori Ellis
Daniels would only be playing while Tony and Manu are hurt. Would he really sign with a team that's going to put him on an inactive list? He might choke somebody.

He's good friends with Tim and lives in S.A. I'm sure he'd happily sit on the inactive list.

mexicanjunior
I'd rather cut ties with Mahimi than Haslip...

timtonymanu
11-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I actually had hopes for Haislip, clearly I was an idiot lol

alot of people did. everyone got so excited just by his youtube highlights. i wasnt high on haislip ever. but it sucks he couldnt prove me wrong.

gameFACE
11-19-2009, 11:44 PM
He's good friends with Tim and lives in S.A. I'm sure he'd happily sit on the inactive list.
Yeah, I know they're good friends. Actually this is the first year in a while that the Spurs haven't had a 3rd PG on the team. (Vaughn, Van Exel, Wilks, etc.)

Ice009
11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Agreed. At least we could move Mahinmi for something, a second round pick and some cash?

Still RC has a budget too and the Spurs will wait out this week with only one point guard.

I forgot about those afternoon practices.

Get rid of those right away. This Spurs team has looked horrible most of the season.

Johnny RIngo
11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I think that the afternoon practices are the real problems. Duncan needs to tell Pop to cut that shit out because some Stanford study shows that free throw percentages go up. Not in the Spurs case.

I've been saying this too. Doubt it has much of an effect but it's worth a shot.

UnWantedTheory
11-19-2009, 11:49 PM
uugghhh...woof woof...

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
The point about practice is interesting..it couldn't hurt to go back to the usual time..

Ice009
11-19-2009, 11:57 PM
It is weird for the players. Every NBA player takes a nap before the game. Or they take an hour around the city. I don't think these practices are doing anyone any good because everyone is off their schedules.

So they are not sleeping at all now before the game???

It would be a lot better for the players to keep taking naps before the game as that will make you fresher for the game.

If they are not getting any sleep before the games this is stupid.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I was going to start a thread called George Hill Is Not A Point Guard(TM), but this will probably do here.

He can probably be a good small 2 who can handle the ball. Hasn't been a single moment this season where he's shown he's capable of running an offense in the half court. When it comes to that, he's not even close to as good as AD was in his prime, and he's probably not as good as him now even.

rayray2k8
11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
RMJ sucks..

Spursfan 87
11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I agree we need a 3rd string point guard. Bring back Antonio.

Waive somebody, or trade mason

SequSpur
11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Antonio Daniels Topic????

:lmao

Might as well bring Bruce Bowen.... :lol

Come on! Turn the fukin page man...

It's time to blow this mofo up and retool. This team fuckin sucks... They can't defend anyone....

Dude, frickin white dude from Oklahoma City scored at will on them... come on!!!!

Chomag
11-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Please no more washed up players to tempt Pop. Wait... isn't Magic Johnson available? I heard he was pretty good and has lots of experience.

SequSpur
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Please no more washed up players to tempt Pop. Wait... isn't Magic Johnson available? I heard he was pretty good and has lots of experience.

exactly.

Whisky Dog
11-20-2009, 08:12 AM
AD won't help much at all.

Holt has to be fuming that now he finally spends dough and the team is a below .500 mess.

Spursfanfromafar
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
First good, real suggestion about personnel change in this forum in a while, ain't it?

I wholeheartedly agree. Dumping Haislip will be a good move. The Spurs are bleeding at the decision making end. TO's killed them against Mavs despite great defense.

Roger Mason will be given a little more of a long rope and I suppose he would try his best avoiding the prospective Haislip fate.

EricB
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
AD won't help much at all.

Holt has to be fuming that now he finally spends dough and the team is a below .500 mess.

Most likely he is smarter than message board idiots and understands it's 10 games in and that problems are offensive not defensive.

SpurNation
11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antonio_daniels/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/career_stats.html

Since Haislip would not (is not) a factor...A comparison of Daniels and Mason would be a starting point to whether this scenario, if it happened, were to be a "productive" deal.

Would it mean the complete isolation of Mason from the rotation? If so...the Spurs would be trading out DNP's of one player for the other and for what in return? Better numbers? Cohesion? The Spurs would definately be spending more than already committed to spend for what?

Unless Daniels would be a positive impact and could play meaningful minutes I'm not sure this would be a beneficial deal to take place. And by comparison...Daniels at this stage of his career doesn't appear to be any more effective than Mason.

Interesting thought though. If my chrystal ball were not on the blink I could probably tell one way or the other if this would be a good deal.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-20-2009, 12:08 PM
The Spurs had Daniels in the past. They dumped him because he pouted and whined about starting vs. coming off the bench. Do they really want to go back there? I don't think so.

Also waiving Haislip has nothing to do with it. Waiving him would save zero dollars. If they want to bring in another player they'd have to make some kind of roster move like assigning someone to the Toros.

timvp
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
The Spurs had Daniels in the past. They dumped him because he pouted and whined about starting vs. coming off the bench. False. AD didn't want to be the starting point guard. He was on record that he'd rather come off the bench.

The Spurs let him go because of that off the court incident.

Also waiving Haislip has nothing to do with it. Waiving him would save zero dollars. If they want to bring in another player they'd have to make some kind of roster move like assigning someone to the Toros.Huh? Assigning someone to the Toros doesn't change the fact that the player is on the NBA roster as well.

The only way to not eat guaranteed money at this point is to waive Hairston.

galvatron3000
11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
While I agree with signing a 3rd string PG I don't find it to be as urgent an issue as trying to make some more moves by trading some guys. We have too many perimeter guys yet a bench of Bigs who don't play. Bonner is cool off the bench but not exactly what the Spurs need so if he can bring in a need then trade him. Ian is young and not playing so we should see if someone is interested based on his youth and size alone. Mason is expendable. Hairston is young and I'd like to keep him too unless we can package well. The front line is still not up to par IMO. I'd like to see something happen soon or a trade take place in order to be a contender, right now we not even a playoff contender. Am I panicking, possibly but it is a real concern that this team as constructed is DONE, atleast in the Western Conference. I like Bogans so I'd like to keep him starting and we know Finley is a keeper (not) so no use including him in any trade scenario.

clubalien
11-20-2009, 12:38 PM
speedy claxton > AD

bigdog
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm down for this. I don't care if AD is old. I'll take anyone over Mason right now. Hell, I'll take *gasp* Beno over him right now. We need a 3rd string PG more than we need a 7th big.

Ditty
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
i rather go after bobby jackson but to bad he retired

we should of gone after earl boykins when he was available

I think haslip should get a chance at the sf to get mismatches

wildbill2u
11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't see a need for Marcus Haislip. Bonner has played well enough to be the "stretch big" the Spurs want. Jefferson can play the small ball four. McDyess looks mobile enough that he isn't too much of a liability against swift bigs. If injuries open up bigman minutes, I'd rather see Mahinmi. I don't see where Haislip fills any type of need.

Antonio Daniels is a shell of his former self but he actually fits some needs. The Spurs need a third string point guard -- especially since Parker has fragile ankles, Ginobili is always going to be an injury worry and Hill is foul prone. AD is better than any other point guard available simply because he knows the system on both ends. His ballhandling and ability to get to the line is enough for me to say he's better than RMJ as a point guard.

As long as the Spurs are going all in this year, might as well continue making moves that give the team a better chance to win.

Isn't this the situation where you give Hairston some minutes. I have a feeling that at SG he'd bring a lot more to the team than an aged AD.

And if we need a PG with recent Spurs experience, I believe Jac. Vaughn still is out there without a NBA team.

wildbill2u
11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
What about bringing in Nando De Cola? Could we get him from Europe and see what we drafted? Third string isn't gonna be much but a safety net anyway

From Draft Express in June
De Colo on the other hand was absolutely sensational, showing incredible creativity and court vision with a series of highlight reel caliber passes. In one very telling sequence, he came up with a deflection and then in one single motion jumped in the air and flicked the ball backwards 40 feet down the court to a wide open teammate running in stride for an easy layup. What’s scary is that that might not even have been his most impressive assist. He also made a number of pull-up jumpers from all over the floor, while showing his ability to change speeds and utilize terrific hesitation moves creating his own shot and getting to the rim. What this game didn’t tell us was how well he would fare against the bigger and longer athletes the NBA is known for, or whether he’s capable of defending his position at the next level. Still, it was hard not to come away impressed by just how skilled and talented he is, and there is no question that he helped his draft stock today.
v
v

neboat
11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Why haven't we played Marcus Haislip, not even a few mins? That's the thing I don't get about Pop. If you don't give him some mins here and there, get his feet wet, how will he improve and be ready when you really need him? Why sign the guy in the first place? Don't you want to see if he can be better than Bonner?

Chomag
11-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Why haven't we played Marcus Haislip, not even a few mins? That's the thing I don't get about Pop. If you don't give him some mins here and there, get his feet wet, how will he improve and be ready when you really need him? Why sign the guy in the first place? Don't you want to see if he can be better than Bonner?

Since when has Pop cared to develope his younger talent? Well other the Tony but he even admited having inner conflicts with that lol

I honestly don't know why we even bother having youth on our team since they most likely wont get played.

xtremesteven33
11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
It wouldnt hurt to try out Antonio Daniels. AD knows in advance whats expected from him and knows that it would be an oppurtunity of a lifetime to have his home team call him back for another Championship run this late in his career....

He would give 110% no doubt. But the problem is how much is left in his tank and can he even produce at an NBA level anymore....

I personally dont think he can but maybe its worth a shot....

Flux451
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I actually think he would bring a spark to our team right now. Hill isn't a promised consistent backup quite yet. He has done exceedingly well so far this season, but if he has a drought and Parker is out we are SOL. Plus, when Tony is back and HIll is not doing so well in a game or gets in foul trouble, AD is a good insurance.

beachwood
11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Has anyone here actually seen Haislip play this year? In training camp or practices?

neboat
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
according to yahoo, he's played 0 mins this year. Incredible!! He totally fits our need for an athletic 4 that may be able to spread the floor....we thought enough of him to give him a guarantee contract and we can't even find a few mins for the guy?

YoMamaIsCallin
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
False. AD didn't want to be the starting point guard. He was on record that he'd rather come off the bench.

The Spurs let him go because of that off the court incident.

My memory is obviously faulty, thanks for the correction. I also don't remember an "off the court incident" -- what was that?

Huh? Assigning someone to the Toros doesn't change the fact that the player is on the NBA roster as well.

The only way to not eat guaranteed money at this point is to waive Hairston.

OK I was also wrong about NBDL assignment. My bad.

lurker23
11-20-2009, 03:54 PM
It is weird for the players. Every NBA player takes a nap before the game. Or they take an hour around the city. I don't think these practices are doing anyone any good because everyone is off their schedules.

So they are not sleeping at all now before the game???

It would be a lot better for the players to keep taking naps before the game as that will make you fresher for the game.

If they are not getting any sleep before the games this is stupid.

I'm pretty sure the afternoon practices only apply to off-days or travel days. On game day, it's the same way it's been in the past. Spurs forgo the traditional morning shootaround, players relax most of the day and catch a bus to the the arena about 3 hours before gametime, where they do all their normal pregame shooting and warmup.

phxspurfan
11-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I can't help but think he'd be this year's panic pickup

Charlie Ward
NVE
Damon Stoudamire

Man our backup PG position is cursed :depressed

admiralsnackbar
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
To waive anyone in order to take on AD would instantly make AD's salary at least 3 times (lux-tax+cost of waived player's contract) it's market value, which seems very unlike RC.

A multi-player trade is the only way we're getting rid of excess baggage.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
i will take this little guy heard hes on a unguaranteed contract w/ the wiz
http://www.postimees.ee/290705/gfx/1798542e99a7577780.jpg

gospursgojas
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM
all for this

RMJ as a pg is harrible

admiralsnackbar
My memory is obviously faulty, thanks for the correction. I also don't remember an "off the court incident" -- what was that?

IIRC, AD got into it with a civilian while playing pick-up. I don't recall whether or not it became physical, but I can't help imagine it must have in order to have caused him to be shipped. Local media was hands-off, so all accounts I heard were second-hand.

crc21209
I can't believe I'm saying this but at this point....do it. Sign AD. I cringe everytime I see Roger trying to run the point. It's painful...he's strictly a catch and shoot guy...not a ball-handler. :td

gospursgojas
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Its funny how people are acting like we had all these options and somehow settled on AD.

Dont compare him to any backup pg out there or in the past... compare him to our backup pg now.

AD>>>RMJ as a point guard

phxspurfan
11-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok I agree. Bring back AD and let's have some faith in our bench with an experienced backup PG.

EricB
11-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't understand why people think ad is horrible like Jacque Vaughn or something...

Höfner
11-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Jacque Vaughn > ADaniels

remingtonbo2001
11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Dump truck...:lol

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Besides the budgetary reservations I listed earlier, why do we assume AD is worth the price tag? Because he "knows the system?"

Whatever we're playing now doesn't in any way resemble the 4-down meta-scheme that was our bread and butter back in the early Tim days, so why should we assume the book is the same? Think how much hate JV inspired despite being paid peanuts and actually knowing the current system. Besides his inflated paycheck, AD would be different how?