PDA

View Full Version : From an X's and 0's stand point, why is RJ a non factor?

Rob123
11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
We've seen flashes, he's got awesome ability.

Why is he much less of an impact then comparable wing players are for their teams?

Is it the offensive scheme, or what?

DesignatedT
11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
To some extent the coaching staff does need to set him up in better situations to score or put him in more effective sets to get to the rim.

but, this guys is supposed to be a "top 3" small foward in the NBA. at some point he has to take it upon himself to get to the damn rack and get to the free throw line. its pretty dissapointed. really... sometimes hes going to have to make something out of nothing.

benefactor
11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
How many games has he played for the Spurs?

Sigz
11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
No ball movement.

This offense moves as fast as old people fuck.

spursfan1000
11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I would like to see him come off bench and lead the bench but that will never happen.

Chieflion
Because he scores points the same way other wings do. He just takes up a higher volume of shots. So far, we see him not producing when he does not get enough shots and only producing when he is the main option. I rather have Ariza if that is the case.

DesignatedT
hopefully tony can fix this problem. he needs to come in with a different mindset now.. no reason he shouldnt be leading our team in scoring every night

justinandimcool
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, not enough movement when he has the ball. He's not a great iso player, and his penetration ability has been disappointing. I like his midrange game but it seems like it's never easy for him. More P&R needs to be ran for him so he can be more of a pass or play threat.

redzero
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
What did you expect? He didn't do anything for the Bucks either.

timvp
11-19-2009, 11:50 PM
It's because Parker doesn't pass him the ball enough. Oh wait . . .

Seriously though, Jefferson scores best in isolation sets. The Spurs don't run many isolation sets. They run pick-and-rolls instead (since Parker and Ginobili are both very good in pick-and-rolls) so RJ only gets isos on broken plays or in early offense on semi fast break.

Jefferson also has shown some ability to post up but the spacing just isn't there to post up when Duncan is on the floor with him. The big just drifts down and clogs the lane, which makes the spacing difficult to enter the pass.

It's going to take some time to figure it all out. The Spurs need TP back to push the pace and that should help RJ. They also need the other players to realize when RJ has an advantage and not always automatically try to run a pick-and-roll like they do with every other perimeter player.

I think it'll work itself out at some point but it's not an easy thing to go from a team built around three players to a team built around four players. Especially when the fourth player is unlike any other player that has been in the system.

Spursfan 87
11-20-2009, 12:13 AM
we don't get easy basket, RJ is at his best when his running the floor taking advantage of his athleticism. His athleticism is negated in the half court offense

SequSpur
11-20-2009, 12:21 AM
do you guys watch the games? or is your +/- a factor?

The Spurs can't fucking stop anyone. PERIOD. They have a huge gaping hole in the middle...Teams are scoring at WILL!!!!

The problem was interior defense and they go get RJ and Mcdice who fucking sucks by the way...always has.

Blackjack
11-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Seriously though, Jefferson scores best in isolation sets. The Spurs don't run many isolation sets. They run pick-and-rolls instead (since Parker and Ginobili are both very good in pick-and-rolls) so RJ only gets isos on broken plays or in early offense on semi fast break.

Jefferson also has shown some ability to post up but the spacing just isn't there to post up when Duncan is on the floor with him. The big just drifts down and clogs the lane, which makes the spacing difficult to enter the pass.

It's going to take some time to figure it all out. The Spurs need TP back to push the pace and that should help RJ. They also need the other players to realize when RJ has an advantage and not always automatically try to run a pick-and-roll like they do with every other perimeter player.

I think that's probably a pretty fair assessment of the player he's become over the last few years; the spacing has been the most glaring issue, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't think the Spurs should be looking to acquiesce to the iso's he's become accustomed to all that much.

I think we've got to hope he can get back to that Princeton-type player he was in NJ and hope that TP gets a better feel for running the break with a partner; I'd really like to see Tony look to advance the ball more with the pass, which would really help a guy like RJ who thrived with Kidd doing just that. It's a style much more conducive to this team, and it's a style much more suited for winning with a player of his caliber.

The Spurs don't run the Princeton per se, but once they're able to implement the majority of their offense and RJ and the rest are able to digest it, I think you'll begin to see RJ really utilized much better; Back-door cuts, lobs, flashes to the open spot, mid-post post-ups, and just overall movement.

The Spurs need the well-rounded RJ more than than the iso-gunner he was forced to be with Milwaukee and his last days with the Nets.

But in order for him to be that, the Spurs need their big pieces. Once the big pieces to the puzzle are out there and up to speed, RJ and the rest can fall in line and find their place..

There's just too much up in the air at the moment and without the foundation of the team being solid, there's just nothing solid from which to build anything lasting..

lennyalderette
11-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Cause everyone just stands around and watches.
YES!!!!! dammit everyone keeps staring at the guy with the ball like a bunch of scrubs!!! i think everyones smoking weed befre they play games

Dice
11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
do you guys watch the games? or is your +/- a factor?

The Spurs can't fucking stop anyone. PERIOD. They have a huge gaping hole in the middle...Teams are scoring at WILL!!!!

The problem was interior defense and they go get RJ and Mcdice who fucking sucks by the way...always has.

I though Mcdyess played some really great one on one post defense.

Who would you recommend the Spurs get to SHUT DOWN!!! the middle? I thought tim D was the center man?

SpurNation
11-20-2009, 09:13 AM
What They Said....timvp and Blackjack.

This team has had all of maybe 3 games to set some sort of tone when all our key ingredients are on the floor at the same time.

The cohesion between Parker and Jefferson along with Pop being able to better disect the strengths and incorporate that into a winning formula is not going to happen in just 3 games or without them being able to play alongside each other.

I will admit that in the brief instances they've been able to play alongside each other....Manu and Jefferson seem to have good chemistry.

ploto
11-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Because he simply is not all that effective as a fourth option. He needs the ball more than he will touch it to contribute to the level that fans expect.