PDA

View Full Version : Hawks ink Anderson, Barry

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:07 PM
ATLANTA (Sports Network) - The Atlanta Hawks signed free agent guards Kenny Anderson and Jon Barry on Thursday. Terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

The 33-year-old Anderson -- who spent the 2003-04 campaign with Indiana -- averaged 6.0 points and 2.8 assists over 44 games, including 31 starts.

The Georgia Tech product was selected by New Jersey with the second overall pick in the 1991 NBA Draft. He has also had stints with the Charlotte Hornets, Portland, Boston, Seattle and New Orleans.

In 815 career games, Anderson has averaged 13.0 points and 6.2 assists per contest.

"This is great," said Anderson. "This move brings me back to where I started. Naturally, I followed the Hawks during my days at Georgia Tech and watched many of their games at The Omni, and also had the chance to play there with the Yellow Jackets. Atlanta's my home away from home and I am excited about it."

The 35-year-old Barry appeared in 57 games for Denver in 2003-04 and averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 assists per outing.

He played for Atlanta during the 1996-97 campaign and has also spent time with Milwaukee, Golden State, the Los Angeles Lakers, Sacramento and Detroit during his 12-year NBA career. In 732 career games, Barry has averaged 5.7 points and 2.2 assists per contest.

"Jon will be a great addition to our roster," said general manager Billy Knight. "He is a proven veteran, and a familiar face to local fans, with extensive playoff experience who brings a great deal of leadership to the squad. He also has the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter and that will serve us well."

genghisrex
09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
with extensive playoff experienceThat's great and all, but the Hawks aren't going to be dipping into that well anytime soon.

ChumpDumper
09-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Kevin Willis is next.

texbound
09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Kevin Willis is next

After Willis, the Hawks are going to go after Dennis Scott (if they can pull him away from his "Motivational Speaking to Children" seminars) and Brian Oliver to reunite the Yellowjackets. This should bring fans into the seats. Quick, someone find Spud Webb and Tree Rollins.

SpursWoman
09-16-2004, 08:31 PM
nice title, texbound. :lol :lol

texbound
09-18-2004, 08:22 AM
nice title, texbound

Double-entendre.