PDA

View Full Version : Redskins strong in final tuneup

ducks
09-04-2004, 01:28 AM
LANDOVER, Md. (AP) -- The Washington Redskins blitzed Michael Vick silly, making his trip to the nation's capital a big waste of time.

In a show of aggressive defense intended to set the tone for the regular season, the Redskins limited Vick to five snaps over three series and forced him into two turnovers Friday night in a 27-0 thumping of the Atlanta Falcons.

``We wanted to show 'Hey, this isn't a scrimmage; this is a game,''' said Redskins safety Matt Bowen, who picked off Vick's first throw after a double cornerback blitz. ``That first play was great. We hadn't shown anything like that before. We got Vick in a situation he's not used to being in, guys crawling all over his back. I think maybe that's a good message to send.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell, who this week won the starting job over Patrick Ramsey, needed only one series to wrap up his preseason work. He went 4-for-6 for 51 yards on a 78-yard opening drive, capped by Ladell Betts' 5-yard run.

That was just a dent in a 24-0 first quarter. It's not that the Redskins were that perfect -- it's just that the Falcons were incredibly inept.

``I wish it counted,'' said Washington coach Joe Gibbs, whose team lost 28-3 last week in St. Louis. ``It is preseason, but I think coming off such a dismal performance last week, it was good for the guys.''

Washington outgained Atlanta 247-190, had a huge advantage in time of possession, and forced four turnovers while committing none.

``Obviously it was not an acceptable performance by our team -- very disappointing,'' Atlanta coach Jim Mora said. ``I guess you could say if there's one positive, it's now we can put our entire focus on Sept. 12 and the San Francisco 49ers.''

Atlanta had minus-9 yards of total offense in Vick's three series. Washington's blitzers went unblocked. Peerless Price committed a personal foul in the first quarter, and Eric Beverly's holding penalty wiped out promising field position on a kickoff return a few minutes later. Both of the Falcons' projected starting cornerbacks are injured, so the secondary was ripe for the picking.

How humiliating was it? The Falcons even managed to get a player injured by the Redskins kicker. Receiver Woody Dantzler left the game with a sprained right ankle after getting tackled by John Hall on a kickoff in the first half.

Playing in a new offense under new coach Mora, Vick was hoping to get some badly needed some work after a sore hamstring limited him to just 24 snaps in the first three exhibition games.

``We didn't get that accomplished, but it's fine,'' Vick said. ``Next week we've got four quarters to get into a rhythm. ... They brought some blitzes we didn't expect and we didn't game plan for. They blitzed, and who says you can't blitz in football?''

Vick's first pass was a desperation lob, thrown while falling backward under pressure from blitzing cornerback Shawn Springs. It was picked off by Bowen.

Vick went 0-for-2 on the next series and was tossed to the ground by unblocked linebacker LaVar Arrington after one throw. On the first play of the next series, Arrington -- unblocked again -- forced Vick to fumble, and Antonio Pierce picked up the ball and ran 23 yards for a touchdown.

Vick's final numbers: 0-for-3 with one interception and one fumble. He finished the preseason 5-for-12 for 35 yards with no touchdowns and one interception.

Asked if he'll be ready for the season opener, Vick said: ``I don't have a choice. I've got to get ready. Comfortable or not, I've got to go play.''

Most of the starters were gone by halftime in a game that gave second-stringers some needed experience and players on the bubble one last chance to make an impression before Sunday's final round of cuts.

Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub continued his impressive preseason, albeit against other reserves. The rookie from Virginia went 12-for-23 for 128 yards in relief of Vick.

Ramsey, meanwhile, went 11-for-21 for 81 yards and led his first touchdown drive of the preseason, a 3-yard run by Betts in the first quarter.

Notes

Atlanta linebacker Keith Brooking left the game with a hamstring injury. ... Redskins injuries: rookie safety Sean Taylor (bruised thigh), cornerback Rashad Bauman (ankle), Arrington (pinched nerve in neck). ... Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels played his first game of the preseason after missing nearly all of training camp with an abdominal strain.

us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rs...28&prov=ap (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=11tkba3hc/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20040903028&prov=ap)