PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Ginobili to miss 7 to 10 days

duncan228
11-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Spurs' Ginobili to miss 7 to 10 days (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_to_miss_7_to_10_days.html)
Mike Monroe

After being examined by members of the Spurs medical staff Thursday, guard Manu Ginobili has been ruled out of action for seven to 10 days.

An MRI exam confirmed that Ginobili suffered a mild left groin strain during Wednesday's game against the Mavericks in Dallas. He previously had been bothered by a left hamstring strain that caused Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to sit him during the fourth quarter of a loss to Oklahoma City on Saturday.

Both Ginobili and All-NBA point guard Tony Parker, still ailing with a sprained left ankle, were inactive for Thursday's game against the Jazz. Parker now is listed as day-to-day.

The muscle strains that have plagued Ginobili are a disappointment after a summer spent taking it easy so he could rehabilitate a stress fracture in his right ankle.

“I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't disappointed he's been hurt in different ways since he did rest this summer,” Popovich said. “I'm surprised by it, and didn't expect it, but we still have to deal with it.”

Asked if he was alarmed by Ginobili's early injuries, Popovich played it coy.

“I'm just going to stick with what I've already said,” he replied.

Team physician Dr. David Schmidt said Ginobili will be on a regimen of ice, compression and stretching until the groin heals but stressed that the strain was considered mild.

More injuries: Spurs point guard George Hill took an elbow in the mouth late in the second quarter and feared he had lost a tooth.

As it turned out, a tooth was loosened, but Hill won't lose it.

Power forward Antonio McDyess got two stitches in his chin after the game to close a cut he got when he was elbowed by Utah's Carlos Boozer late in the game.

“When Boozer drove to the basket I went to block it and they called a foul on me,” he said. “He elbowed me in the chin to get the basket, and I got the foul.

“Things aren't going our way in any games right now, so it's hard to take.”

Give that man a sandwich: A pregame well-wisher congratulated Jazz coach Jerry Sloan on his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame. When the person suggested that the coach's speech during ceremonies in Springfield, Mass., could portend a post-coaching career as an after-dinner speaker, Sloan snapped off this one-liner: “I'll starve to death first.”

SequSpur
11-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for your contribution 228. Without you here Stephane' would have to buy a fuckin newspaper....

rayray2k8
11-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for your contribution 228. Without you here Stephane' would have to buy a fuckin newspaper....

:lmao

Oooh god I needed that laugh.

timvp
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
“I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't disappointed he's been hurt in different ways since he did rest this summer,” Popovich said. “I'm surprised by it, and didn't expect it, but we still have to deal with it.”

Asked if he was alarmed by Ginobili's early injuries, Popovich played it coy.

“I'm just going to stick with what I've already said,” he replied.Damn, that's about as subtly vicious as Pop gets. That extension for Manu will be put on indefinite hold after those comments.

SequSpur
11-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Damn, that's about as subtly vicious as Pop gets. That extension for Manu will be put on indefinite hold after those comments.

Manu is done.

spurtilldeath
11-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Let us not forget that and more importantly, let us hope Pop remembers that Manu started the season out of conditioning and started playing. Based on my surfing the net, looks like that exact thing could have lead to his hamstring and groin injuries.

I pray and wish him well and a speedy recovery.

itzsoweezee
11-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Team physician Dr. David Schmidt said Ginobili will be on a regimen of ice, compression and stretching until the groin heals but stressed that the strain was considered mild.

considering the repeat injuries on this team, i'd get a second opinion if i were manu.

DesignatedT
11-20-2009, 01:03 AM
looks like hes trying to light a fire under manus ass

mytespurs
11-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Damn, that's about as subtly vicious as Pop gets. That extension for Manu will be put on indefinite hold after those comments.

Ouch!!!! I can't imagine Manu in any other uniform but a Spurs one but the times may be a-changing........

Let's cross our fingers, toes, internal organs that Manu bounces back to be the player we all know he can be. :king

ezau
11-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Manu is done.

I hate to say this, but I agree with this. Sad to see such a great wing player disintegrating this way

lennyalderette
11-20-2009, 02:10 AM
god i hate that this happened to manu, life sucks right now as a spurs fan lol. not as bad as the early 90's though

polandprzem
11-20-2009, 02:17 AM

And thanks for your contribution. Without you here Spurstalk would have higher IQ

roycrikside
11-20-2009, 02:44 AM

Fuck Pop. He has no idea how a world class athlete's body works. You can't just tell a guy like Manu to do literally nothing but sit on a couch for months and months before starting his workouts maybe two weeks before training camp.

You can't play him a handful of minutes in the preseason and sit him entirely in half the preseason games and then expect him to enter the season in shape and ready to go.

He said he wanted Manu to play his way into shape as the season goes, but it's not just about getting in rhythm with his jump shot or learning to play with new teammates.

The guy physically has to be in the right condition to play, to be able to run up and down the court, to cut, to make sudden moves, and to be able to do it for 25-35 minutes every other night or even on back to back nights.

Because of Pop, Manu did not adequately have time to prepare his body for any of this and now Pop is shitting on him.

The guy has taken Ginobili for granted his whole career, jerked with his minutes, his role, his starting job, used him as a third option for three quarters routinely before asking him to bail the team out in the fourth every single time the game was tight, blamed him for the 2006 playoffs, and now he's ripping him again.

Maybe Manu does need to go to a new team next year. He deserves to be treated better than this.

Hell people even rip Manu for playing in the Olympics on a bad ankle and totally forget that the Spurs doctors TOTALLY MISDIAGNOSED THE ORIGINAL INJURY BACK IN APRIL OF 2008.

Pop and the team's doctors/trainers have let Manu down time and again. Maybe a fresh start is in order.

Capt Bringdown
11-20-2009, 03:16 AM
Hell people even rip Manu for playing in the Olympics on a bad ankle and totally forget that the Spurs doctors TOTALLY MISDIAGNOSED THE ORIGINAL INJURY BACK IN APRIL OF 2008.

Right, Manu is the Sarah Palin of the Spurs: the eternal victim. It's always somebody else's fault.

kace
11-20-2009, 03:36 AM

do you imply Pop tries to light a fire under manu's ass like i read on another thread ?

because if that's what he does, i really don't see why. Manu hasn't ever needed anyone to motivate him and he can't do anything about his injuries issues.

i guess it's more Pop being really upset and angry with a situation that he hoped over (manu's injuered) and this time being honest with what he really thinks.

Slippy
11-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Let us not forget that and more importantly, let us hope Pop remembers that Manu started the season out of conditioning and started playing. Based on my surfing the net, looks like that exact thing could have lead to his hamstring and groin injuries.

I pray and wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Very true. After a long lay-off of doing nothing niggling injuries such as pulled hammys to groin strains tend to happen. Usually seven days is all that's needed.

Cherry
11-20-2009, 05:46 AM
FB quote:

"Good News: MRI was negative, so nothing serious. Will be back soon. Bad News: Out for a week and we lost again. // Buenas Noticias: No tengo nada grave, solo contractura. Mala Noticias: Estaré afuera una semanita y hoy volvimos a perder. No recuerdo un record tan malo desde que llegué acá... Ya lo daremos vuelta."

timvp
11-20-2009, 06:09 AM
do you imply Pop tries to light a fire under manu's ass like i read on another thread ?No. Manu doesn't need that. He's madder than anyone about his latest injuries. And he'd be willing to play right now if Pop let him.

i guess it's more Pop being really upset and angry with a situation that he hoped over (manu's injuered) and this time being honest with what he really thinks.

Basically agree. I'm sure Pop had to sell Holt on the fact that it was possible for Ginobili to stay healthy and that the team was a couple acquisitions away from returning to championship contention. Pop said all summer that Manu would be fine going forward and that the injuries weren't related to any long-term issues.

Now that Manu's health is unraveling less than ten games into the season, Pop has to be frustrated considering that the championship hopes are on the line. No Manu, no legit chance at a title and millions of dollars wasted in the offseason.

polandprzem
11-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Yup Pop tried trhe injury thoughts go away by saying manu will be fine, all summer long.

Unfortunately it's not working that way. Adding to that Manu is in contract year so that makes it even tougher.

Another thing is surs not playing good, not even close to the potential of slow start november. The defense is not where pop thought it will be.
it's gets even worse when I think that I must lose 20 more pounds.

Spurs Brazil
11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
I think Manu will miss the next 5 games (2 weeks) and will be back against the Celtics on December 3rd.

TJastal
11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I think Manu will miss the next 5 games (2 weeks) and will be back against the Celtics on December 3rd.

This isn't unusual. There are alot of teams banged up with players missing games right now. He'll be back soon enough.

Popovich is just annoyed he won't have Manu to bail him out at the end of ball games, and his coaching (or lack thereof) is getting exposed.

Phenomanul
11-20-2009, 10:09 AM
He needs to try that placenta therapy that Robbie Van Persie took after getting hurt last week.... Supposedly it cuts one's recovery time substantially...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/hegamboa/VanPersie.jpg

Someone needs to suggest this potential treatment to Manu on his facebook page....

SA210
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
No. Manu doesn't need that. He's madder than anyone about his latest injuries. And he'd be willing to play right now if Pop let him.

Basically agree. I'm sure Pop had to sell Holt on the fact that it was possible for Ginobili to stay healthy and that the team was a couple acquisitions away from returning to championship contention. Pop said all summer that Manu would be fine going forward and that the injuries weren't related to any long-term issues.

Now that Manu's health is unraveling less than ten games into the season, Pop has to be frustrated considering that the championship hopes are on the line. No Manu, no legit chance at a title and millions of dollars wasted in the offseason.

This is true, but I feel the same about sending Bruce away.

crc21209
11-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Every game before the Celtics game IS a win-able game. We have the Wizards, Bucks, Warriors, Rockets, and 76ers...So I think December 3rd should be about right..