PDA

View Full Version : Blinebury: Spurs need old Ginobili, all they're getting is an old Manu

duncan228
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/11/20/spurs.ginobili/ginobili262-111909.jpg
Manu Ginobili is again battling injuries this season after playing just 44 games in 2008-09.

Spurs need old Ginobili, all they're getting is an old Manu (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/11/20/spurs.ginobili/)
Fran Blinebury
NBA.com

Bad news for potential next generation opponents of the Argentine national team and would-be 2030 defenders in the NBA -- Manu Ginobili's wife is expecting twins.

What could possibly be worse than trying to keep up with Mad Manu's wild length-of-the-court dashes, his slashing through traffic, his leaning one way and flipping the ball over his head in the other direction tricks, his why-not-try-it 3-pointers? Except, of course, chasing an identical pair of him?

At the moment, the Spurs would be happy just to get the original Ginobili completely healthy and back on the floor as they try to gain traction in another slow start to another season. He's already been slowed in the opening weeks by a strained hamstring. Now Ginobili is back on the shelf with a mild left groin strain that is expected to keep him out for seven to 10 days.

Everyone chuckled and Ginobili became an Internet sensation when he swatted down a bat buzzing the AT&T Center on Halloween night. But it wasn't quite so funny when Ginobili had to go through a series of painful rabies shots. And nobody's laughing along the Riverwalk at the agonizing questions that are looming.

"I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't disappointed that he's been hurt in different ways since he did rest this summer," said coach Gregg Popovich. "I'm surprised by it and didn't expect it. But we still have to deal with it."

Hanging in the air before the end of November is not only how far the Spurs can go next spring in the playoffs, but where they go in the future.

Without Ginobili in their lineup last spring, the Spurs were first-round playoff fodder -- five games and out -- for the Dallas Mavericks. This time around, even with the addition of Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and a handful of other new faces, the Spurs are not going to be real threats to run down the defending champion L.A. Lakers over the long haul without Manu. Thursday night's 90-83 loss to Utah dropped their record to 4-6.

Ginobili is the Spurs' fire-starter, causing heat and havoc at both ends of the court. He is also 32 years old with a contract and a body that might be expiring simultaneously.

San Antonio would love nothing more than to re-up the old Ginobili to a new deal that would keep him playing with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Trouble is, after all the years he's played and battled for the Spurs and Argentina, all the nights that he's thrown that hell-bent body all over courts around the world, the fear among the Spurs has to be that they are watching the beginning of just an old Ginobili.

"I love it in San Antonio," he said. "This is the place where I would like to finish my career."

However, smart championship organizations like the Spurs don't stay smart and keep themselves in the championship hunt by paging through the history books and getting flushed with emotion. Yes, he's won them three championship rings. Yes, he's probably the most popular player in town. Yes, he's still in a tough spot, hurting and needing to be on the floor at the same time.

"I'm a little paranoid," Ginobili said. "I don't want to miss any more games."

Duncan is scheduled to make $18.7 million next season, Jefferson $15 million and Parker $13 million. Ginobili's current deal pays him $10.7 million this season and it only makes sense to make a similar commitment for another two or three years -- if he's able to cause more doubt in the minds of his opponents than his own locker room. Jefferson's arrival makes the economics of Ginobili's situation much tighter.

Nothing has changed about how the Spurs feel about Ginobili or how much they need him. But Ginobili may be changing some. He followed up a 36-point game 1 1/2 weeks ago against Toronto by shooting 0-for-8 and scoring just seven points five nights later in a loss to Oklahoma City.

"I am not in the most confident part of my career," Ginobili said. "I've been struggling and I need to feel better."

Just as the Spurs need to feel better about him. That is why they chose to wait on talking about a new deal.

Since getting hurt chasing down a loose ball at the Beijing Olympics in the summer of 2008, Ginobili has had surgery on his left ankle to repair tendons and developed a stress fracture in his right ankle that ended his season after just 44 games.

The Spurs were extremely cautious with him over the summer, keeping Ginobili away from the basketball court and almost any kind of physical activity until he arrived for training camp in September. Now, already, the hamstring and groin problems have cropped up and so have the concerns. Popovich doesn't have to admit that the alarm bells are going off inside his head. You can read it on his face.

You can also hear it from Ginobili. After having to leave Wednesday night's game in Dallas after just 7 1/2 minutes, Ginobili was later seen limping down a hallway outside the Spurs locker room. "I'm pissed," he said.

How many times were the Spurs a step slow or one inspired play away the past two nights in an overtime loss at Dallas and at home against Utah, where they trailed by only one with 1 ½ minutes to play?

All that was missing was the old Ginobili and the old Ginobili, both a dilemma and a question that isn't going away.

xtremesteven33
11-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Damn, its getting scary times for Manu fans....

urunobili
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
i loved the article... Manu will be back he ain't done yet :D

clubalien
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I have heard somewhere that when you have kids the majority of people gain weight and that also there are chemical changes.

Will manu having twins hurt how he plays basketball. Did Tim experience a downgrade in his game after his first child?

sananspursfan21
11-20-2009, 12:33 PM
to state the obvious, this may be a continuing trend as it has been in the past. somebody's got to step up. i was hoping rj would be the catalyst. the rockets rally when t-mac and yao have been out. spurs need to be able to do the same

duncan228
11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Did Tim experience a downgrade in his game after his first child?

Duncan's daughter was born the summer of '05, after the Championship. He had plantar fasciitis the '05-'06 season. I don't think it was related. :lol

His son was born the summer of '07, again after the Championship. On media day of the '07-'08 season he said it was harder being the father of two than getting back to playing.

SA210
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM
i loved the article... Manu will be back he ain't done yet :D

draft87
11-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I have heard somewhere that when you have kids the majority of people gain weight and that also there are chemical changes.

Will manu having twins hurt how he plays basketball. Did Tim experience a downgrade in his game after his first child?

Yeah there's a lot of evidence in studies to support that claim. The chemical changes are often more prevalent and mystifying.
Manu looks like he lost weight. I'd believe it if we found out that these injuries are minor and due to fatigue and poor conditioning.

When my wife and I had our first child, from the beginning of pregnancy we were forgetting things, getting clumsy, ...all kinds of stuff resulting from lack of sleep and responding to the changes in my wife's body,

Manu looked really irritated in the OKC game. Granted OKC was playing very aggressive and up in his grill but he looked exceptionally short tempered. I bet he's also taking short cuts in his workouts/stretching/warm up. If this is the case of 'getting used to pregnancy" give him a month or so to get his mind straight and his body should follow.

Duncan2177
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Kobe had kids but that didn't keep him from dominating on the court.

spurs10
11-20-2009, 02:37 PM
To paraphrase Brent Barry last year " the good news for the rest of the NBA is that Manu Ginobili is out...the bad news is he'll be back"! Adversity like this will only make a person that plays with passion like Manu stronger and more "pissed".

ElNono
11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Kobe had kids but that didn't keep him from dominating on the court.

or outside the court...

xtremesteven33
11-20-2009, 02:54 PM
or outside the court...

nice.

ffadicted
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I still feel the Manu comeback this year. Those 36 points gave hope. C'mon Gino, do it for the twins!

MmP
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Already giving up?. The season is long and Manu is just scheduled to be out only a week. Just move the fucking on out of this paranoia. Gotta be possitive.

weebo
11-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Manu's recent rash of injuries have more to do with lack of conditioning than anything else. I don't understand why people hit the panic button so often and so soon. The same could be said about Tim.

sonic21
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
i hated the article... Manu will be back he ain't done yet :D

Ice009
11-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Manu's recent rash of injuries have more to do with lack of conditioning than anything else. I don't understand why people hit the panic button so often and so soon. The same could be said about Tim.

I don't understand. Did Pop actually tell Manu not to do anything over the summer? Even train?

If Manu didn't do any training then what the fuck do you expect. Pop has no reason to be angry if he did that. It's on him.

DPG21920
11-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I am giving it the full year before I make judgment on Manu's future.

SpurNation
11-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Manu is older. Does one expect he can do what he did 3 years ago on a consistent basis?

I'll take 75% of what he used to do if the team has somebody else to fill in the other 25%.

Richard Jefferson averaging a double/double will make up for that.

silverblackfan
11-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I liked the article. It was dark and depressing, but an interesting read.
I don't agree that Manu is not going to be Manu. Just not as often. Hell, if we can get 8/10 of his normal hat-tricks, crazy good passes, and I might as well drain a 3s, then I think it is a bargain.
Manu will be here to dominate for a few more years.

rjv
11-20-2009, 08:45 PM
i have said it before and i will say it again. manu came in way to out of shape for the rigors of the NBA and he is getting the injuries one sees when an athlete is not in good condition. the spurs were so worried about his ankle that they have placed the rest of his body in a vulnerable situation. they should sit him until the boston game and then they should start him at 20 minutes a game and then work from there until he is back to the shape he needs to be in to handle an NBA season.

Spurs Brazil
11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Manu FB

Hard article 2 read, hope things change soon! // Nota dura de leer para mi. Espero que la mala...

http://twitter.com/manuginobili

Danny.Zhu
11-21-2009, 12:52 AM
So much injuries on the Spurs. Damn.

Hopefully he will be back.

duncan228
11-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Marc Stein from ESPN.com put together his 'All-Lefty' team.

Sixth Man: Manu Ginobili (San Antonio)

Don't want to hear about the injury woes that left him one-legged in the 2008 Western Conference finals and dragged him all the way out of the 2009 playoffs.

Not going to listen when you try to tell me he's an old 32.

Manu?

His contributions to three Spurs championships in the space of seven seasons and the frequent doses of un-Spurs-like flair make it impossible to omit Ginobili.

Demoralizing as it has to be for the Spurs to know that they didn't make it to Thanksgiving without Ginobili (groin), Tony Parker (ankle) and Tim Duncan (ankle) all missing time with the sort of injuries that will only fuel the perception that all those playoff miles are wearing them down, Manu is still widely regarded as the most influential sixth man of his generation.

I can't argue: Wednesday night was an undeniable downer. In the Spurs' locker room before the game, when informed about the story I was planning, Ginobili playfully volunteered Toni Kukoc, former teammate David Robinson and Argentine tennis legend Guillermo Vilas as his favorite all-time lefties. The mood was light. Less than two hours later, Ginobili was out of the game with a fresh groin injury.

Yet we've seen too much dependability and creativity for too long from Ginobili -- who's just 32 -- to give this spot to a pretty deserving Philly kid named Thaddeus Young. Not yet, Thad. Not quite.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140117