PDA

View Full Version : Garcia: Struggling Spurs, surviving Mavs have their to-do lists

duncan228
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2009/news/features/art_garcia/11/20/mavs.spurs/1120spursmavs3608.jpg
Dirk Nowitzki (center) and the Mavs are still trying to work out the kinks in their offense.

Struggling Spurs, surviving Mavs have their to-do lists (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/11/20/mavs.spurs/)
Art Garcia
NBA.com

One team is winning ugly. The other simply isn't winning. Neither is at full strength, but that's about the only similarity between the Mavericks and Spurs right now.

The two dominant Southwest Division programs of this decade have split two games this season, each winning on its home floor. You'd expect clashes like Wednesday's in Dallas that spilled into overtime. Former MVPs Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan traded punches before No. 41 iced it with 41 points for the Mavs.

There's no shame for San Antonio in dropping that game, especially with Tony Parker out and Manu Ginobili hobbling off the hardwood in the first quarter and out of the arena afterward. Dallas, though, had three starters of its own -- Josh Howard, Shawn Marion and Erick Dampier -- in street clothes.

"We're winning. That's about the only thing," Nowitzki mused. "We're playing some defense. Our defense has actually been really solid. On offense we're shooting in the low 40s, high 30s and that's suspect. We've got to get better."

While the Mavericks (9-3) keep figuring out how to get it done, the Spurs just want to find some traction. Dallas views its loss in San Antonio last week as one that got away. For the Spurs, it may be their signature win in a season that's lost the momentum of a resounding opening-night rout of New Orleans.

The full range of San Antonio's new-found depth, explosiveness and athleticism was on display that night, signaling what many believed: a return to dominance. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich even unveiled a new late-afternoon practice schedule aimed at getting his vets more sleep.

But someone keeps hitting snooze. The Spurs slumped to 4-6 with Thursday night's loss, ending a 10-year and 20-game home winning streak against Utah. Yes, Popovich prefers to start slowly by design, building cohesiveness and piling up wins as the playoffs approach.

Forget the design. This stumble from the gate is reality.

"We have no choice," said Popovich, whose team has lost three in a row. "Usually I try to force that and I don't even have to try this year. It's going to happen to be at a slower pace with the new guys not knowing what we're doing. That's really the difference."

San Antonio turned over more than half the roster, which had to be done. And, as Popovich pointed out, 60 percent of the starting lineup is new -- 80 percent with Parker out. But the Spurs knew they had to make those changes to compete.

Popovich has weathered change and inconsistency before. Back before the rings, the Spurs opened Duncan's second year at 6-8 and San Antonio grew restless, wondering if Popovich was the right guy.

The Spurs went 31-5 the rest of the lockout season and breezed through the playoffs to title No. 1. Popovich became the right guy. Now no one seriously questions how the Spurs run their operation.

Each year Popovich and his staff go on a retreat before the start of camp to assess why they do what they do. "We second guess everything," he said. One tweak for this season: those 4 p.m. practices.

"It takes getting used to," said Richard Jefferson, also in his first season in San Antonio. "I typically would like to come in at night and shoot after a morning practice. That kind of gets taken away, but I respect and understand what he's doing.

"This is a team and organization that wants to deal with injuries. They understand it's about the long haul. The extra rest over the course of the season, they believe will help you in the end. It's hard to argue with that."

About 275 miles north, the Mavericks stack up victories that only a purist could love, leading the league with three wins when shooting 40 percent or worse. Commitment to D, once all the rage under coach Avery Johnson, has returned to Big D.

"Last year coming into camp, after Avery, we focused so much on offense, opening up the offense, let [Jason] Kidd run a lot of stuff," Nowitzki said. "This year we said screw that. We're going to do all defense. We worked a lot of defense and it's really paid off early, but now the offense is slacking a little bit."

It's not all bad when the Mavericks have the ball. Spurs castoff Drew Gooden has hit the scene with three straight double-doubles in place of Dampier. High-flying rookie Rodrigue Beaubois, already a cult sensation in Dallas, is quickly becoming more than just the second-best French guard in the state.

Gooden, Beaubois and reserves J.J. Barea and Kris Humphries have helped pick up the slack for their injured teammates. But as Nowitzki, coach Rick Carlisle and others have noted, they're getting after it without the ball. The Mavericks are in the top 10 in several key defensive categories including points allowed, opponent's field-goal percentage and rebounding differential.

"This way at least we're winning ballgames," Nowitzki continued. "Last year we started 2-7."

Dallas played catch-up the rest of last season after a 2-7 start but still managed 50 wins and a trip to the West semifinals. The Spurs, winless on the road, are in that boat now. Before facing the Mavericks this week, San Antonio had played only eight games, easily the fewest in the West. That didn't help.

"What this team needs is games and playing together," Jefferson said. "Those are the things we're going to need to get everybody on the same page."

Back in San Antonio, the Spurs remain a work in progress, too. But their blueprint hasn't wavered.

"What we have to do to be a good team hasn't changed," Popovich said. "We've got to end up being a very good defensive club."

In the end, both the Mavs and the struggling Spurs probably will figure it out. History somehow has a way of repeating itself.

"They'll be all right. I never worry about the Spurs," Nowitzki said. "By the time the playoffs start, they'll be ready. All this right now doesn't matter. They'll be right there."

Blackjack
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2009/news/features/art_garcia/11/20/mavs.spurs/1120spursmavs3608.jpg
Dirk Nowitzki (center) and the Mavs are still trying to work out the kinks in their offense.

Damn, do you see what Tim's chest is doing to Dirk's elbow there?

Free-throws?

He should have been rewarded a Purple Heart..

urunobili
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
great article! i like Art Garcia's writing :tu

Budkin
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
"They'll be all right. I never worry about the Spurs," Nowitzki said. "By the time the playoffs start, they'll be ready. All this right now doesn't matter. They'll be right there."

All bridge jumping Spur fans need to listen to Dirk of all people. Even he knows we'll be fine.

Interrohater
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
All bridge jumping Spur fans need to listen to Dirk of all people. Even he knows we'll be fine.

:lol That's exactly what I thought when I read it. Even Dirk can see this, yet our own fellow fans are going nuts and calling for blood.

crc21209
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Big props to Dirk for saying that in the end we all know where the Spurs will be...people are just overreacting a little too much right now early in the season.

fitzgerald
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Spurs as a team will be just fine. Ginobili is the one that doesn't look like he will be a factor. Too bad because he brings the Spurs over the top.

Danny.Zhu
11-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Damn, do you see what Tim's chest is doing to Dirk's elbow there?

Free-throws?

He should have been rewarded a Purple Heart..

Restricted area?

But I do believe Dirk got more phantom calls than Kobe.

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Marc's Quote

"We've got a lot of work to do. A lot of work to do at both ends of the floor. We're still trying to get everyone on the same page and I think we're far from that right now.

"We like the crew that we have and we've been a little unfortunate with the injuries early on … it's going to take more than eight games, more than 10, more than 20 games to get all the experience and feel that we want. It's going to be a process."

Spurs forward Tim Duncan, who after Thursday's home loss to the Jazz -- halting Utah's winless streak in San Antonio at 20 games -- found his banged-up team mired at 4-6, which represents its worst start in the Duncan era.

With 21 points in Thursday's loss, Duncan passed George Gervin for second place all time in scoring in Spurs history with 19,384 career points, just as Kobe Bryant became the No. 2 scorer in Lakers history in L.A.'s home victory Thursday night over Chicago.

Those, though, were not the standout numbers from Utah's first win in San Antonio since May 1999. The Jazz awoke Thursday with a record of 5-6 and the Spurs showed up at 4-5, making Thursday the first Jazz-Spurs game where both teams had losing records since Jan. 22, 1988, when Utah entered at 16-20 and San Antonio was 15-19.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091121-22

Chieflion
11-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Restricted area?

But I do believe Dirk got more phantom calls than Kobe.
According to the rulebook, a push off can be called in the restricted area. Watch this video of the 3rd quarter game 6 semifinals against the Hornets, where Paul got called for a push off many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_v2HD-zbfg

Fuck the video title though.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Untimely injuries to star players + new faces early in the season = 4-6

Basic math.

ElNono
11-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Untimely injuries to star players + new faces early in the season = 4-6

Disagree... for me it's more like:

Untimely injuries to star players + thinking we were too good and didn't need to play hard = 4-6

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Untimely injuries to star players + Pop's coaching = 4-6

FIFY :tu

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Untimely injuries to star players + Tim is old and Manu is done and TP is a ballhog and RJ sucks = 4-6

Or this one.

ElNono
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Not really...
We were doubting if this team could play better defensively after the loses to Portland and Utah, and they did, shorthanded and all, in the last two games, even if they were loses.
Now we know that if we play hard night in and night out, we're going to give ourselves a chance. Obviously, getting the stars back and making sure they play hard too will help win more games.
The trick from here on out is going to be to sustain the defensive intensity we had in the last couple of games.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Not really...
We were doubting if this team could play better defensively after the loses to Portland and Utah, and they did, shorthanded and all, in the last two games, even if they were loses.
Now we know that if we play hard night in and night out, we're going to give ourselves a chance. Obviously, getting the stars back and making sure they play hard too will help win more games.

This early on,

we need the whole team together to make any kind of real analysis.

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2009, 11:53 AM
We need Mason and Finley to sit, and then we can judge..