PDA

View Full Version : Paying Students To Tattle

desflood
04-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Students paid for tattling on peers
Tips for guns, drugs worth up to $500
By Larry Copeland
USA TODAY

ATLANTA — Last month's school shooting in Minnesota has stirred interest in organized “snitch” programs that pay students for telling on classmates who carry guns or drugs or violate school rules.

Last week in central Georgia, the Houston County school board became the state's first school district to enroll in the national Student CrimeStoppers program, started in 1983. Students can earn up to $500 for alerting school officials about firearms. They can get up to $100 for fingering classmates involved in vandalism, theft or drugs.

Another Georgia school, Model High School in Rome, said last week it implemented a program that pays students up to $100 for information about thefts, drugs or guns on school property. “It's not a reaction to anything that's happening on campus,” says Tim Hensley, spokesman for the Floyd County schools. “It's a proactive attempt from the principal's standpoint.”

“There's a balance here between creating a society of snitches and creating a sense of community responsibility,” says Russ Skiba, professor of educational psychology at Indiana University in Bloomington.

Skiba, who co-chaired a U.S. Education Department project on violence prevention in 11 schools, says he worries reward programs are a “knee-jerk reaction” to the school shooting in Red Lake, Minn. Student Jeff Weise, 16, of Red Lake, killed nine people and wounded 14 before killing himself March 21.

The Model High program began before the Red Lake shootings, Hensley says. At the 650-student school, money from candy and soda sales will be used to pay $10 for valid information about campus thefts, $25 or $50 for tips on drugs, and $100 for leads on gun possession or other felonies.

A similar program at Cherryville High School in rural Gaston County, N.C., “has really worked well,” principal Stephen Huffstetler says. He implemented the program two years ago. “This year, we've given out $1,100,” he says. “For $100, they'll turn their mothers in.”

He says the money was paid for tips on drug possession or sales, mainly marijuana and prescription pills. The rewards are funded partly by student-run programs, he says.

A wave of student reward programs sprang up after a rash of school shootings in the mid-1990s. Some were in place before then.

In Texas, the Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District started a Student CrimeStoppers program in its three middle schools and four high schools in 1994, says Melanie Magee, supervisor of student services.

This year, the district has paid $2,144. Magee says tips have led to students getting busted for attempting to sell prescription drugs, smoking on campus and other offenses. During the 2003-04 school year, tips led to the seizures of 11 weapons.

Does anybody else think it's sad that we now have to pay our children to get them to do the right thing?

E20
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd hella fucking tattle for $500 or if I get to hit the hottest girl in school.

GoldToe
04-20-2005, 09:28 PM
It's all about the benjamins.

King
04-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I'd start ratting out people that haven't even done anything wrong.

ClintSquint
04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
http://www.bartcop.com/ashcroft41.gif
"I don't see the problem."

ShoogarBear
04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
:lmao

Exactly.

Who TF think this idea will really work?

Obstructed_View
04-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Is it really "tattling" if someone has a gun at school? If someone commits a crime, aren't you supposed to report it? Crimestoppers has been paying people to do the right thing for years.

Spurminator
04-20-2005, 11:32 PM
This has been going on since I was in High School.

Seems they've raised the stakes though... I remember it being $200.

MannyIsGod
04-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Does anybody else think it's sad that we now have to pay our children to get them to do the right thing?

We live in a society that guages the value of things by one measure. Money.

Clandestino
04-21-2005, 10:57 AM
We live in a society that guages the value of things by one measure. Money.

what measure do you think would be more suitable?

SpursWoman
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM

No shit! :lmao

JoeChalupa
04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
When I was in school all we got was to be called a Narc.

gay abc
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
how much do i get for ratting on mouse???

:lol

Clandestino
04-21-2005, 04:29 PM
isn't this how things worked in the soviet union...

i remember there was this one kid in my highschool who used to go on 'ride-alongs' with the cops on the weekends. he would direct them to the parties that he had heard were happening that weekend. and he would get something like 50 bucks for every mip issued. yeah he was called a narc, and i think he got his ass kicked a couple times.
btw, the kid was so dumb that he got a 100 something on his sat...didn't even get the gimme points for spelling his name right--put his name down as 'ricky' instead of 'richard'
fucking narc

i don't believe that story! :lol

Gatita
04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong with giving money to a kid who snitches. If it saves people from being killed, hurt, or endangered in anyway, then it was money put to good use.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
i don't believe that story! :lol

Clandestino, for what it is worth, he is telling the truth for the most part...I went to the same high school. That dude was in a higher grade though, so the details were second hand info. And he did put Ricky on the SAT instead of Richard, thats for sure.

But back to the topic, this is to be expected, guys. Kids being snitches for the government, raised as narcs, its all part of the cycle. Just like in the soviet union as elpimpo said, Orwell talks about this as well.
They've been doing this for years anyways, how many times in your school did a cop come to make a speech about something like calling the cops if your friends are doing bad stuff?
How many of you have heard of the DARE program??

Just one step closer to the end of the American Empire.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't see anything wrong with giving money to a kid who snitches. If it saves people from being killed, hurt, or endangered in anyway, then it was money put to good use.

They want you to believe that. In fact, they make you believe that by staging every major school chrisis that gets major television coverage. They control what gets coverage and what doesnt, keep that in mind at all times, okay.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
When I was a kid we had our own grade school mafia, and anyone who snitched had to sleep with the fishes (actually they'd get slapped around and perhaps thrown in the pond. . .so. . .close).