PDA

View Full Version : Does D.Howard even practice offense?

j.dizzle
11-20-2009, 10:33 PM
His post game is soooooo bad..I don't get why he hasn't learned much in the offseason

Darrin
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
He's always in foul trouble. This is the future of NBA big men? The league is going to the dogs.

Ice009
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I keep saying Shaq is a better player given that they both need the physical tools to be good, but if you took away both their physical abilities then Shaq is still more skilled. I used to say that Shaq would suck if you took away his size and power, but Dwight Howard in comparison would be a REALLY bad player if you took away his physical attributes.

Why does the NBA keep pushing guys like Dwight Howard. The need to be looking more at skill rather than these physical specimens that can jump high and dunk.

Dwight is a good player, but he needs a lot of work offensively.

KSeal
11-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Bynum > Howard, clearly.

galvatron3000
11-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I keep saying Shaq is a better player given that they both need the physical tools to be good, but if you took away both their physical abilities then Shaq is still more skilled.

Why does the NBA keep pushing guys like Dwight Howard. The need to be looking more at skill rather than these physical specimens that can jump high and dunk.

Dwight is a good player, but he needs a lot of work offensively.

Do you remember when Shaq first came into the league, He only had a dunk in his arsenal. Howard entered the league out of high School so given that he is perhap ahead or on par with Shaq at the same age.

Ice009
11-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Do you remember when Shaq first came into the league, He only had a dunk in his arsenal. Howard entered the league out of high School so given that he is perhap ahead or on par with Shaq at the same age.

Yeah OK, sure I am not going that far back and have forgotten, but my statement is still true. Shaq is more skilled in the post. Dwight still has to learn some moves or get some kind of post game. He might never do it so I am still correct ;).

Darrin
11-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah OK, sure I am not going that far back and have forgotten, but my statement is still true. Shaq is more skilled in the post. Dwight still has to learn some moves or get some kind of post game. He might never do it so I am still correct ;).

Don't grant that! Shaq used to run the floor. He had much more of an arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5mIncSQf4

JamStone
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
This is Howard's sixth season in the league, I believe. Shaq had developed much of his post game by his sixth season in the league.

To answer the question, I do think Howard practices offense. I'm sure he spends hours upon hours. I just don't think he'll ever get it with any degree of adequacy. It's like Ben Wallace practicing free throws. He spent a ridiculous amount of time working on free throws but would always be a bad free throw shooter. If Howard hasn't learned a legitimate post game by now, I have a hard time believing he will in his career.

jag
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Magic fan will argue for days that he's got a hidden arsenal that he's waiting to unleash.

Danny.Zhu
11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Yao has always beat the crap out of DH when they match up. But DH's physical talent makes his weak side defense a lot better.

RedsLakers24
11-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Bynum > Howard, clearly.

STFU Im a laker fan but Bynum is not better than Howard,

eyeh8u
11-21-2009, 01:31 AM
he is too busy twittering to practice offense, and he is not too bright either.

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 01:47 AM
He can dunk real good.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Howard needs to learn 3 moves - the drop step, the baby hook, and the up-and-under - preferably with either hand. He would then be completely unstoppable with his combination of size, speed and strength.

At the moment he has a poor RH baby hook, and that's it. Shit, man, I can do those 3 to either hand, and a couple of other moves besides, so how the fuck can I have better low-post footwork than Howard? How is it possible that no-one has taught him these things??? I don't get it.

Another thing - the guy has no 'touch'. Some guys have it and some don't, and it's a hard (impossible?) thing to teach. Dwight don't got it.

Dwight's more of an athlete than a pure basketball player, and it shows in things like his lack of fundamental footwork and touch, and his terrible FT form.

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2009, 04:21 AM
d12 is to buzy smiling for the camera then working on his game

Soul
11-21-2009, 07:08 AM
yes thats exactly it^

glad to see all the psychics in this thread

LnGrrrR
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
You don't have to be psychic; you just have to watch the game to see he has a limited low post skill set.

ginobili's bald spot
11-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think he works on it. It's not like post moves are something that can only be learned by geniuses. It just takes hard work and repetition. Work that he clearly hasn't put in.

wireonfire
11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
He's got Patrick Ewing to teach him. LOL that Ewing got a lot of credit for Yao's improved game.

JamStone
11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Another thing - the guy has no 'touch'. Some guys have it and some don't, and it's a hard (impossible?) thing to teach. Dwight don't got it.

Dwight's more of an athlete than a pure basketball player, and it shows in things like his lack of fundamental footwork and touch, and his terrible FT form.

I think this is a really good point.

Even if Dwight were to improve his footwork, and body positioning, and all of that, that still wouldn't necessarily allow him to have better touch. You can imagine him putting on a few Hakeem dreamshakes on a defender, and then still bricking a two foot lay-up off the glass. There's something to be said about having "touch." Even early in his career, Shaq had a nice touch around the rim. Shaq has soft hands for being so big and strong. Dwight seems to have very little touch or finesse with the basketball, and I would tend to agree with the notion that it would be very tough if not near impossible to teach that to someone. I'm amazed any time Dwight Howard makes a free throw all net because he doesn't use or bend his legs almost at all and it's all wrist action instead of a fluid shooting motion with the entire arm. He lacks natural touch in his game and that is something that will remain an obstacle most likely his entire career.

I think part of the reason could be that he never really developed those skills before he started getting so big and muscular. If he had some of those skills along with some touch and finesse before he really got heavily into the weight room, he might be able to find it again. Now, I think his physique actually restricts his ability to have touch and finesse.

pauls931
11-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't grant that! Shaq used to run the floor. He had much more of an arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5mIncSQf4

50 dunks and 2 3pt prayers.