PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Wizards Previews

duncan228
11-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Washington (3-8) at San Antonio (4-6) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009112124&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Sat Nov 21, 2009
TV: NBATV, My35
By Matt Beardmore

The San Antonio Spurs aren’t ready to panic, but they’re definitely not thrilled with how their season has played out so far.

Off to their worst start in 13 years, the injury-plagued Spurs try to avoid their longest losing streak in two seasons Saturday night, when they go for their 10th straight home win over the Washington Wizards.

San Antonio (4-6) dropped its third straight game Thursday - 90-83 to Utah to open its four-game homestand.

The Spurs, who had won 20 straight at home versus the Jazz, have not lost four straight since March 12-17, 2008.

“It’s tough,” first-year Spur Antonio McDyess said of the team’s worst 10-game start since opening 2-8 in 1996-97, the season before Tim Duncan’s rookie year. “When you’ve got a good team expecting to win a lot of games and you’re not in the beginning, it’s kind of disappointing.”

Injuries have added to that disappointment as Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have combined to miss seven games with a variety of ailments.

Parker has been sidelined for four of the last five contests with a sprained ankle and is questionable for Saturday. Ginobili missed his first game of the season Thursday with a strained left groin and is expected to be out for a week.

“(Injuries are) a part of the league, and I believe that’s why (the Spurs) brought in some more people to try and weather those storms when you do have injuries,” said San Antonio forward Richard Jefferson, who was acquired from Milwaukee in the offseason. “Right now, it’s our job to bear down and get it right.”

Taking on Washington could be what the Spurs need to get back on track. San Antonio has won seven straight over the Wizards since a 111-95 loss in the nation’s capital Nov. 11, 2005.

The Spurs won the two matchups last season by an average of 26.5 points, while holding Washington to 37.7 percent shooting from the field.

This season, opponents are averaging 98.8 points and shooting 45.8 percent against San Antonio.

“If the playoffs started tomorrow, I think we’d be in trouble,” said Duncan, who missed two games earlier this month due to a swollen left ankle. “But we’ve got a long way to go.”

So do the Wizards (3-8), who have lost seven of eight.

Washington dropped its fifth straight on the road Friday, 127-108 to Oklahoma City.

It was the most points allowed by the Wizards since a 128-96 loss at Phoenix on March 21.

“We need to start coming out aggressive,” guard Gilbert Arenas said Friday. “I don’t know what it is, but we need to come out and start getting stuff going.”

Arenas did not play in Washington’s last four games versus the Spurs due to lingering knee problems. After missing 80 games in 2008-09 and 69 the previous season, Arenas continues to struggle with his shot, hitting 39.0 percent from the field.

He shot 7 for 20 Friday and finished with 23 points.

In his second game back after missing the first nine of the season due to a right shoulder injury, two-time All-Star Antawn Jamison had 22 points and 12 rebounds against the Thunder.

Jamison averaged 15.0 points and 6.0 boards in two losses to the Spurs in 2008-09.

Washington’s last victory in San Antonio was a 99-89 win Dec. 11, 1999.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 17.2

Rebounds
Brendan Haywood Was 10.8
Tim Duncan SA 11.5

Assists
Gilbert Arenas Was 6.5
Manu Ginobili SA 4.2

duncan228
11-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Saturday: Wizards (3-8) at Spurs (4-6) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Saturday_Wizards_3-8_at_Spurs_4-6.html)

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KMYS, NBATV
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WIZARDS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 0 Gilbert Arenas (6-4, 9th yr)
Parker’s return up in air; Wizards waiting for Arenas to be Agent Zero.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 6 Mike Miller (6-8, 10th yr)
Bogans has added defensive edge to Spurs’ starting five.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 3 Caron Butler (6-7, 8th yr)
Like Utah’s Boozer, Butler’s mid-range can cause matchup problems.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 4 Antawn Jamison (6-9, 12th yr)
Stats That Don’t Make Sense Dept.: Spurs 0-4 when Duncan scores 20.

C - 42 Theo Ratliff (6-10, 15th yr) - 33 Brendan Haywood (7-0, 9th yr)
Ratliff one of four players to start at center for Spurs this season.

SPURS RESERVES

15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
4 Michael Finley, G/F, 6-7, 15th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G/F, 6-5, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
24 A. McDyess, F, 6-10, 15th yr

WIZARDS RESERVES

7 Andray Blatche, F/C, 6-11, 5th yr
12 Earl Boykins, G, 5-5, 11th yr
15 Randy Foye, G, 6-4, 4th yr
34 JaVale McGee, C, 7-0, 2nd yr
5 Dominic Maguire, F, 6-9, 3rd yr
21 Fabricio Oberto, C/F, 6-10, 5th yr
2 D. Stevenson, G, 6-5, 10th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Wizards: Flip Saunders

INJURIES

Spurs: Tony Parker (left ankle sprain) is day-to-day. Manu Ginobili (strained left groin) is out.
Wizards: Javaris Crittenton (strained tendon left foot) and Mike James (sore left hand) are out. Oberto (left hamstring tightness) is questionable.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Haislip, Ginobili
Wizards: Crittenton, James, Nick Young

NOTABLE

Spurs, losers of three in a row, looking for traction in midst of worst 10-game start of Duncan era. They have not lost four straight since March 2008. ... Spurs have won six in a row against Washington, including nine straight at home. ... Wizards basically at full strength after having seven players miss games with injury or illness. ... Spurs have used a different starting lineup in each of past five games.

— Jeff McDonald

Ditty
11-21-2009, 01:00 AM
i hope fab gets a standing ovation from the whole arena when he comes into the ball game

duncan228
11-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Wizards Plus: Saunders stresses rest (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/21/wizards-plus-saunders-stresses-rest/)

OKLAHOMA CITY - Always looking for ways to get more out of his players, Wizards coach Flip Saunders canceled the morning shootaround for the second straight game to allow his team to get extra rest.

Instead of the traditional midmorning shootaround, the coach held a 3 p.m. planning meeting with his players at the team hotel before they headed over to Ford Center. Portland, New York and Boston have made similar moves this season to keep their players fresher.

"Rest is important," Saunders said. "Especially when we were gone for so long and then had a chance to get home. A lot of times in the mornings when you know you've got to get up, you start looking at the clock. When you know you can sleep in, you get a better rest."

It's the second time this week that Saunders has altered the game-day routine. On Wednesday, rather than having a morning shootaround, Saunders held a 4:45 p.m. walk-through for the Cleveland game.

"It makes sense, especially at home," the coach said. "Guys come in [for the morning shootaround] and by the time they get out of the locker room, it's 12 or 12:30, and they might get home around 1 or 1:15, and then they've got to turn around in a couple hours and come back out with the traffic.

"And sometimes going through what you want to do against a team in late afternoon, it's fresher in their mind and you remember what you want to do and what you have to execute," Saunders said.

TODAY'S GAME

WASHINGTON WIZARDS at SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Probable starters:

Wizards - F Caron Butler, F Antawn Jamison, C Brendan Haywood, G Gilbert Arenas, G Mike Miller.

Spurs - F Richard Jefferson, F Tim Duncan, C Theo Ratliff, G Keith Bogans, G George Hill.

Injuries:

Wizards - Questionable: C/F Fabricio Oberto (hamstring), G Mike Miller (shoulder). Out: G Javaris Crittenton (foot), G Mike James (broken finger).

Spurs - Out: G Manu Ginobili (groin), G Tony Parker (ankle).

Outlook: The Wizards have lost at San Antonio nine straight times. But Tony Parker has played only six games this season, and now Manu Ginobili is out with a strained groin. The Wizards expect to get Fabricio Oberto back after a two-game absence because of a sore left hamstring. Saunders said the forward-center probably could have played at Oklahoma City on Friday, but with a date with his former team the next day, he gave him the night off.

- Mike Jones

xellos88330
11-21-2009, 01:44 AM
I missed the last two home games due to personal decisions, and they lost both of them. I will be at this game so the Spurs should win big. :D

xellos88330
11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
i hope fab gets a standing ovation from the whole arena when he comes into the ball game

Fabricio should. He helped bring a title to SA, so he should be welcomed. I just hope he doesn't wind up killing us with his passing.

Danny.Zhu
11-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Arenas goes for fity and Spurs lose.

Jamison will cause more trouble.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Arenas goes for fity and Spurs lose.

Hill will cover Arenas, so fity seems unlikely.

Sotongball21
11-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Hill will cover Arenas, so fity seems unlikely.

everyone gets their career game when playing against spurs. not surprised if that happens.

Chieflion
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Jamison will cause more trouble.
He gives up as much on the defensive end. I don't think he is the problem. Arenas can go off when he wants.

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2009, 08:09 AM
looks like another loss...

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 08:10 AM
He gives up as much on the defensive end. I don't think he is the problem. Arenas can go off when he wants.

Can't agree here. Jamison works the boards consistently. He himself may not create, but he allows for his team to create.

Chieflion
11-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Can't agree here. Jamison works the boards consistently. He himself may not create, but he allows for his team to create.
Jamison is a sieve. Sure, he may board well, but he can't defend, sort of like Dejuan Blair. We will see against the Wizards. I would say Caron Butler is the problem. If Richard Jefferson cannot score on "Tough Juice", Spurs are fucked.

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Jamison is a sieve. Sure, he may board well, but he can't defend, sort of like Dejuan Blair. We will see against the Wizards. I would say Caron Butler is the problem. If Richard Jefferson cannot score on "Tough Juice", Spurs are fucked.

Again, I can't agree given that Jamison has a TO rate well below 3/pg for his whole career. I hope you're right and we go at him hard, but I think the answer ultimately lies with our own defense.

The weakness is on our end, unfortunately. If our defense fails, we can throw another L on the column.

Chieflion
11-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Again, I can't agree given that Jamison has a TO rate well below 3/pg for his whole career. I hope you're right and we go at him hard, but I think the answer ultimately lies with our own defense.

The weakness is on our end, unfortunately. If our defense fails, we can throw another L on the column.
Why are you talking about TO rate when I am talking about defense?

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Why are you talking about TO rate when I am talking about defense?

Honestly? Because I got some great news and I'm drunk:lol

I don't mean to waste your time, brother.

shelshor
11-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Referee Assignments
Sat. Nov 21
Washington @ San Antonio: Derrick Stafford; Brian Forte; David Jones

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
We might as well mail this bitch in. 3 games in 4 days, injuries, Tim played lots in b2b, RJ sucks, Wizards are title contenders and we aren't, etc

Just don't even watch. Tank the season.

SpurNation
11-21-2009, 11:04 AM
RJ sucks

:lol:depressed

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Tony Parker hey facebook world big game tonight need to get some wins ankle feeling better im playing tonight cant wait!!

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=187672422060&id=130297048172

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Jamison's D is horrible, but so is Arenas' defense, so I don't see how that's in his favor..

Jamison is going to be a huge problem tonight..hopefully Tony has some of his explosive ability back, since he should be able to torch Arenas..

duncan228
11-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Washington looks to end ten year drought in San Antonio (http://www.examiner.com/x-601-Washington-Wizards-Examiner~y2009m11d21-Washington-looks-to-end-ten-year-drought-in-San-Antonio)
George Panagakos

On the road again, the Washington Wizards will need to forget about last night's 127-108 rout in Oklahoma and focus on Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.

Duncan can still put up 20-and-10 games in his thirteenth season, and is averaging 17.3 points and 11.5 rebounds per game for San Antonio this year. The 33-year-old future hall of famer is joined by the regulars, Manu "The Bat Stunner" Ginobili and Tony Parker, both whom might be on the injured list tonight, plus a new set of weapons in Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and DeJuan Blair. And since I mentioned Blair, why not mention Roger Mason Jr. as well, two guys Washington could have had on their roster right now in some alternate universe. But I digress.

Against Oklahoma last night, Washington stayed competitive despite the final boxscore. In the end, the Thunder had to much firepower and the Wizards could not keep control of the ball. Kevin Durant dropped 35 points and James Harden chipped in 25 off the bench. Former Wizard Etan Thomas went 0-for-2, but had a block and the final say with the win. Brendan Haywood had 14 points and 16 rebounds; he's really killing the boards lately.

Of course, you only get boards if the shots miss. I might be beating a dead horse here, but Washington needs to improve their perimeter defense. Haywood could be averaging 16 rebounds a game if the Wiz defended more shots. Oklahoma shot 52.4% from behind the arc last night and San Antonio is no slouch when it comes to long range shooting either. Of course, when the Thunder beat the Spurs earlier in the season, neither team shot that well from deep, which goes to show you both teams can just flat out put points on the scoreboard.

In the last three Wizards games, Washington has proved their offense is back to form. Their defense? Well, it needs some work still. Mike Miller is day-to-day after playing through pain last night in Oklahoma and former Spur Fabricio Oberto is still sore as well. And to top it all off, San Antonio has beaten Washington nine times in a row at home, which means the Wizards haven't beaten the Spurs since 1999, some ten years ago.

Washington will have their hands full tonight, but with Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, and Gilbert Arenas together, there should be a game to watch.

duncan228
11-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Washington Wizards (3-8) at San Antonio Spurs (4-6) (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/wires/story/1345222.html)
Sports Network

Off to their worst start in over a decade the San Antonio Spurs hope to right the ship Saturday as they welcome the Washington Wizards to the Alamo City.

The banged-up Spurs are coming off their first loss in 20 tries to the Jazz in San Antonio on Thursday. Deron Williams scored 21 points and dished out 10 assists, including a key pass to Carlos Boozer for a lead-extending layup late in the fourth in that one, as Utah downed the depleted Spurs, 90-83, giving the Jazz their first regular season win in San Antonio since February 28, 1999.

San Antonio played without Tony Parker, who sat with an ankle injury, and Manu Ginobili, who missed the contest with a groin ailment that is likely to keep him sidelined for a week or more.

"I'm really happy with the fact that the guys didn't give in," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "We are getting better. We're just playing teams that are more experienced and are making less mistakes. Over time, it'll result in wins. We have to keep our heads up and not worry about records."

Tim Duncan recorded 21 points with nine rebounds and five assists, while George Hill contributed 18 points before fouling out in the rare start. Richard Jefferson donated 16 points and six rebounds for the Spurs, who have lost three in a row and dropped to a surprising 4-6 on the campaign.

San Antonio, which hasn't lost four straight since March 12-17, 2008, is off to the team's worst 10-game start since starting the 1996-97 season 2-8.

Parker is questionable for tonight's contest while Ginobili is expected to remain on the sidelines.

The Wizards, meanwhile, were blown out in Oklahoma City on Friday. Kevin Durant led all scorers with 35 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists in that one, as the Thunder earned a 127-108 win over Washington.

Caron Butler had a team-leading 24 points and Gilbert Arenas finished with 23 points, eight assists and three steals for the Wizards, who ended a six-game losing streak with a 108-91 victory over Cleveland on Wednesday. Brendan Haywood had a game-high 16 rebounds to go along with 14 points.

Washington, which has won only three of its first 11 games in the early going this season, has lost nine straight to the Spurs in the Alamo City and seven straight overall.

Blackjack
11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
The defensive board is going to be a real key with the type of length and athleticism they have and a guy like Jamison stretching the floor.

Butler's probably one of my favorite non-Spurs and the matchup with Jefferson should be a good one to watch; I've always got my eye on McGuire, as well..

The return of Tony would obviously be a big help to the Spurs, but especially against the Wiz. The Spurs are in desperate need of play-making on the perimeter and the burden of foul-trouble considerably lessens for Hill with TP back; the Wiz's backcourt with Arenas, Foye, and Boykins could really net a good amount of time for the TP/Hill pairing..

Without TP I was thinking loss, just couldn't see them having the weapons on the perimeter to close a tight game against a team like the Wiz, but I'm much more optimistic if Tony plays.

Hopefully the Wiz are a dead-legged team that won't kill the Spurs on the offensive glass and the Spurs can jump on them early; a blow-out would definitely be nice and could very well be in order if the Spurs find that 3-point stroke..

Let's not end another impressive steak, Spurs..

Dex
11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=187672422060&id=130297048172

:tu

Chieflion
11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Referee Assignments
Sat. Nov 21
Washington @ San Antonio: Derrick Stafford; Brian Forte; David Jones
Never heard anything about these refs. This means they must be good.

Chico
11-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Game on NBA TV! San Antonio commentary..

Capt Bringdown
11-21-2009, 09:23 PM
So Blair's gone from an impressive game 1 debut to being benched 10 games later? Nice rookie development, Pop.