PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs and the Patriots - analogies?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Now, I don't follow the NFL closely (watch a game here and there, but I understand it pretty well because I followed it when I was a teenager), but I was reading Bill Simmon's latest article about Belichick's 4th and 2 decision, and the final paragraphs jarred me because they could be describing our franchise right now (although I'm not saying they are). Anyway, I've substituted our name and franchise personalities in there to see how it reads (changes emboldened):

...By the fourth year of the Duncan/Popovich era, Spurs fans felt the same way about their team in close games. We were money. We owned crunch time. We didn't shoot ourselves in the foot. We didn't take unnecessary risks. We thrived on making other teams beat themselves. We were reasonably aggressive but never dangerously so. We always had a plan. Our players were prepared for any conceivable situation. In a close game, Pop, Duncan and our defense would take us home. Every time.

Not Sunday night. The Spurs looked rattled and unprepared. The Colts did not. They do not keep statistics for this.

Did it feel like the end of an era? Yeah, a little. The truth is, Popovich is 60 years old. I doubt he's banking those famous 19-hour work days anymore. I doubt he possesses the same hunger that fueled him when he was trying to escape Bill Parcells' shadow and make a name for himself. Everything is gravy for him at this point. His place in history is secure.

Career security can be damaging in one of two ways: either you stop taking chances, or you feel emboldened and start taking too many of them. Popovich's recent history shows that he would rather roll the dice than do something conventionally. He made so many trades in the draft this past April that I can't even remember where we ended up picking. Right before the season, with the Patriots picked by many as the clear Super Bowl favorite, he dealt one of his defensive pillars (Richard Seymour) to Oakland for a future first-round pick. On Sunday night, he went for the jugular in Indianapolis when the situation demanded prudence.

Were these events connected? I can't tell. Statistics can't help us here. Pop might just be a coach who climbed the mountain a few times, then decided he needed to cement his legacy by being the ballsiest football coach any of us have ever seen. If that's true, he failed Sunday night. This Sunday, he might succeed. He keeps plowing ahead. Either way, he remains the most fascinating coach in professional football -- something that hasn't changed since 2001, by the way -- and I remain thankful that he runs my favorite team. Give me Popovich with a few miles off his fastball over just about anyone else.

Just don't tell me this Sunday night didn't mean … something. In the aforementioned Game 6, I remember watching those Yankees fans celebrating after the seventh and thinking, "There is absolutely nobody in my sports fan life now that makes me feel as secure as those Yankee fans feel with Rivera right now."

I used to feel that way about the Spurs. I did. And now we're here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...flpicks/091120

Doesn't fit perfectly, but there are some analogies there.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Well, the Spurs have 4 rings over New England's 3. (I only mention this because I've seen a few writers compare the Spurs to the Pats, when the comparison should really be reversed.)

Also, the Spurs are undergoing their second major overhaul as a dominant franchise (the transition from Robinson, Duncan and Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ to Duncan, Ginobili, Parker being the first), so the empty feeling in Simmon's gut shouldn't really trouble us yet. If we're still riddled with injuries and playing like shit in February, then maybe it's valid. But not yet.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Well, the Spurs have 4 rings over New England's 3. (I only mention this because I've seen a few writers compare the Spurs to the Pats, when the comparison should really be reversed.)

Also, the Spurs are undergoing their second major overhaul as a dominant franchise (the transition from Robinson, Duncan and Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ to Duncan, Ginobili, Parker being the first), so the empty feeling in Simmon's gut shouldn't really trouble us yet. If we're still riddled with injuries and playing like shit in February, then maybe it's valid. But not yet.

Where the luck did that Fakers crap come from? Anyway, LOL!

duncan228
11-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Where the luck did that Fakers crap come from? Anyway, LOL!

Elliott has two t's.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Elliott has two t's.

Did you answer my question?

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:24 AM
robinson duncan and elliots squad transitioned to duncan ginobili and parkers

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:25 AM
robinson duncan and elliots squad transitioned to duncan ginobili and parkers

half-assed grammar-checking

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Did you answer my question?

He did, actually. If you mis-spell Elliott, it causes the L-T-Fakers script.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:33 AM

But why?

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

Elliott

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_'s

Elliott's

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:33 AM
But why?

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

Elliott

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_'s

Elliott's

Well done, substite teachers!

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 04:37 AM
But why?

Elliott

Elliott's

The deep "why," I can't answer.

But I can say your hat merits a bowl of soup.

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Well done, substite teachers!

Please feel free to correct my spelling from this point forward. I'm also sorry for de-railing this thread. :lol

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:42 AM

a free bowl of soup!

mesothorny
11-21-2009, 04:51 AM
anyway, i heard a certain prominent journalist ask a few months ago if the spurs were like the patriots. it irked me, because the spurs have succesfully transitioned from one championship core to another. whether they can do it again is the question now, but our predicament has to have some better points of reference than the patriot's.

Man In Black
11-21-2009, 04:52 AM
I will say this: When Bellicheck went for it on 4th and 2, when everything logical says not to, he was trying to make a statement to his team. IMHO he was trying to say, I've a got the right play, the right players to do it, and I have confidence that this can get executed properly. Faulk may have gotten forward progress but it's what the ref marks that counts the most. But say this situation happens again in the playoffs, do you think that coach would do it again? I say yes, and this time...they make it.

That's the same line of thinking that Pop has. Against all convention, it's better to do it the Spurs way.

InRareForm
11-21-2009, 05:10 AM
not another spurs/patriots thread. :bang

NBAcourtsweatsweeperupper
11-21-2009, 05:20 AM
There are some valid points.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 05:35 AM
I will say this: When Bellicheck went for it on 4th and 2, when everything logical says not to, he was trying to make a statement to his team. IMHO he was trying to say, I've a got the right play, the right players to do it, and I have confidence that this can get executed properly. Faulk may have gotten forward progress but it's what the ref marks that counts the most. But say this situation happens again in the playoffs, do you think that coach would do it again? I say yes, and this time...they make it.

That's the same line of thinking that Pop has. Against all convention, it's better to do it the Spurs way.

You ought to read Simmon's entire article and see what you think. I think he makes a convincing case.

As for your last line, I agree - Pop lives or dies by his way. I'm starting to wonder whether his way, with aging parts, still has a chance of winning the New* NBA.

*offensively advantaged, based more on athleticism than fundamentals.

admiralsnackbar
11-21-2009, 05:37 AM
a free bowl of soup!

No, you have to buy the hat. There's no free lunch.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 05:37 AM
not another spurs/patriots thread. :bang

Blame Simmons! :lol

Josepatches_
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Patriots went for 4 & 2 because they want to win the game.If they give the ball with 2 minutes to the best QB of the NFL i'm sure they were going to lose anyway.

Yes,that's similar to the 4th down we did against the Mavs.The only way to win that game was ball to TD.It didn't work in the OT but it worked to send the game to the overtime

Sisk
11-21-2009, 05:27 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

tp2021
11-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Scroll over duncan228's spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Patriots went for 4 & 2 because they want to win the game.If they give the ball with 2 minutes to the best QB of the NFL i'm sure they were going to lose anyway.

Yes,that's similar to the 4th down we did against the Mavs.The only way to win that game was ball to TD.It didn't work in the OT but it worked to send the game to the overtime

So you're absolutely sure that Manning would have been able to drive 70-odd yards with only one timeout, having already done it twice in the 4th quarter? That has happened in the NFL only 4 times in 5 years... in other words, very unlikely. Read the whole article.

phyzik
11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, at least you didnt compare them to the Cowboys. The Cowboys are more Like The Lakers.

self-entitled Fans

rich owner

the most Bandwagon fans in the NFL

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-22-2009, 03:31 AM
I think people are missing my point - I read this article by Simmons as an article about the 4th and 2 decision, but as I finished it those last few paragraphs about how the Pats have come down to earth rang at least partly true about the Spurs. It doesn't go much deeper than that. ;)