PDA

View Full Version : dirks post up game

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Dirk has been magnificent this year, looking like the early season league MVP, yet it seems like he is still kinda playing half assed for most of the game every night. for the most part, in the first 3 quarters all year, he has been quite mediocre. and over the past few years, he has been kinda floating around through the 1st half of the season, and turning it on after the all-star break. his shooting percentages have are still pretty poor for his standards. If he does that again this year, its going to be scary to see how good the Mavs will be when he actually turns it on. I think something that has helped him a lot is the fact that he is using post up moves more than ive ever seen him.

has anyone else noticed how much more he has utilized a post game this year than in the past? i wonder if McHale working with him through camps has really paid off. developing this post game will only add to his longevity and versatility.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Dirk's and post game in the same sentence gets an lol

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
lol typical spurfan

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:22 AM
no one is saying hes some kind of low post beast, but he is really using it to his advantage against smaller guys, and using high-post moves to his advantage against bigger, slower guys. he has developed enough of a post-up game that it makes just one more part of his extremely versatile game, even tougher to figure out.

and people sometimes think that the only kind of "post game" means you have to beast down low, like Shaq or Duncan. there is a number of other ways to utilize post-up abilities than just getting low post scoring, and Dirk is using that to his advantage.

spursncowboys
11-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I must agree that dirk has gotten better at not sitting outside the 3. Him playing his actual position probably will help with him being considered an actual MVP candidate this year. He also has less help this year than other years.

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:30 AM
well dirk hasnt really had a habit of sitting outside at the 3 in quite a while.

hes definitely been working the mid-range game a lot more in the past 4 or 5 years, and now it seems like last year and this year he has really been working on utilizing his size and post abilities to find ways to free himself up for different looks.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
well dirk hasnt really had a habit of sitting outside at the 3 in quite a while.

hes definitely been working the mid-range game a lot more in the past 4 or 5 years, and now it seems like last year and this year he has really been working on utilizing his size and post abilities to find ways to free himself up for different looks.

Typical mavfan bullshit

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
lol insecure spurfan

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I honestly would not call it a post game. He is making more of an effort to get to spots closer to the rim when he catches the ball, but it is just the same moves he previously used further out.

He is mixing up going to the rim off the dribble a little more as of late, but he is doing that because he gets the calls. Dirk is playing arguably the best ball out of anyone this year.

Culburn369
11-21-2009, 11:36 AM
When he rings, then, and only then will Dirk be sanctified. Until then, he's like beneath contempt.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:38 AM
lol insecure spurfan

Insecure is labeling that chickenwing throwing fallaway shot over a 6'5 guy a 'post move' so you can make a thread

Culburn369
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Insecure is labeling that chickenwing throwing fallaway shot over a 6'5 guy a 'post move' so you can make a thread

Hof, hittin' it just absolutely square.

Höfner
11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Hof, hittin' it just absolutely square.

:wakeup

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I honestly would not call it a post game. He is making more of an effort to get to spots closer to the rim when he catches the ball, but it is just the same moves he previously used further out.

He is mixing up going to the rim off the dribble a little more as of late, but he is doing that because he gets the calls. Dirk is playing arguably the best ball out of anyone this year.

using your back to your advantage when you have the basketball in your hands is a post game. most of dirks is in the high post. Just most people like yourself, think that the only kind of post game means it has to be down low, which isnt true. take a look at MJ. he was known for developing a magnificent post game late in his career... a HIGH post game, just like Dirk has been doing much more of.

and you obviously havent seen near as much of Dirk as I have, and he has most definitely been utilizing more moves than in the past. his moves have also become a lot quicker. he has definitely improved quite a bit in his post game.

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:48 AM

i wasnt referring to that at all, you fucking moron.

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
its funny how any time a player other than someone on the spurs roster gets any kind of props, spurfans here have to tear them down just to pump their nads up, thinking that those props are a slight against the spurs.

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I watch every single Mavs game for the most part. Dirk is not using any more moves. He is catching a little deeper sometimes, with his back to the basket, but he just pivots and faces up almost immediately after.

He has always been a high post player. I said the same thing in my first post. He is getting better at making quicker (by quick I mean more decisive, not speed) moves and going to the rim. It is not some astronomical leap as you are making it out to be.

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 11:52 AM

:cry :cryits funny how any time a player other than someone on the spurs roster gets any :crykind of props, spurfans here have to tear them down just:cry :cry :cry to pump their nads up, thinking that those props are a slight against the :cryspurs.

:rolleyes

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I watch every single Mavs game for the most part. Dirk is not using any more moves. He is catching a little deeper sometimes, with his back to the basket, but he just pivots and faces up almost immediately after.

He has always been a high post player. I said the same thing in my first post. He is getting better at making quicker (by quick I mean more decisive, not speed) moves and going to the rim. It is not some astronomical leap as you are making it out to be.

I never said it was astronomical. I just said he has been using it to his advantage much more than in years past, and it clearly has been helping him since he has generally been half-assing it through every game this year. But he has most definitely improved and is moving a few more moves than in years past. I never said he is Tim Duncan in his prime or anything.

stretch
:rolleyes

i wasnt talking about you, dumbass

ElNono
Dirk's game is a SG game... he either drives (in Dirk's case from the high post, normally to his left) for a layup, or takes a jumper (either from the perimeter or the low block).

What you traditionally would call a post up game would include hook shots, tear drops, etc after backing up your opponent. Dirk doesn't have that kind of game. He might not need it now that's mostly a league with a bias toward guard play.

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
":cry why oh why won't Spurs fans on SpursTalk stroke Dirk in my thread:cry"

- butthead

stretch
11-21-2009, 11:59 AM
What you traditionally would call a post up game would include hook shots, tear drops, etc after backing up your opponent. Dirk doesn't have that kind of game. He might not need it now that's mostly a league with a bias toward guard play.

and thats exactly what im talking about. he isnt neccesarily a low post player (although he has been taking smaller players down low a lot more than in years past), but has been utilizing post up moves more than in years past, whether its low or high. but to be honest, there really isnt any big men that can guard him straight up, so it doesnt make sense for him to use a low post game against them, but he has used a high post game on bigger guys a little more frequently. mainly im just happy he is using the triple-threat spot in the high post more than ever, because he can back down smaller guys from there, or take on bigger guys from there, and if he gets double, that spot gives you the ability to see the whole court and make the easy pass to the open man. more than ever, he is using his abilities exactly the way he should, being a SG in a 7 footers body.

stretch
11-21-2009, 12:00 PM
":cry why oh why won't Spurs fans on SpursTalk stroke Dirk in my thread:cry"

- butthead

lol, shorter than segu

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 12:03 PM
lol, shorter than segu

lol, handsome stretch.

Findog
11-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Come on boys, don't fight. Let's settle this in a pickup game over off of Skillman where it belongs.

Findog
11-21-2009, 12:07 PM
When the fuck are we playing again anyways? Where is this court you found DPG and what is everyone's schedule? This court isn't 5 feet wide with an 8 foot rim, right?

stretch
11-21-2009, 12:10 PM
its getting kinda cold to play outside

i used to play at UTD a lot though, and still sometimes go out there on sundays, but wont be this sunday cuz i just got my wisdom teeth pulled

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Ya, the court is really close to the other one. I think it is off of Abrams and Mockingbird or Skillman and MB. Cannot remember though. I looks like a normal size court with 10 ft goals.

DPG21920
its getting kinda cold to play outside

i used to play at UTD a lot though, and still sometimes go out there on sundays, but wont be this sunday cuz i just got my wisdom teeth pulled

I can tell.

Findog
That's what I hate the most about this time of the year.

Findog
11-21-2009, 12:12 PM
The good thing about Texas though is that even in November and December you'll still get some 60 and 70 degree days.

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I am down pretty much whenever. I am home from work at 5. So anytime after is good for me.

Cannot play today or tomorrow, but anytime next week.

Findog
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
This place has lights, right? Because I get home at 5:50 and it's practically dark at that point. I'll check the weather forecast and bump the dallas basketball thread.

DPG21920
11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Ya, they have lights. At least I remember seeing them there.

spursncowboys
11-21-2009, 12:24 PM

WTF are you talking about. That duche spent half his time outside the line last year like all the other years previous. Every year his rebound avg is the same except this year, which is a big improvement. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=609

dude1394
11-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Dirk definitely is more willing to take a smaller guy into the post, he just is. He did it the entire Denver series last year.

Part of that is jkiddo getting him the ball when/where he needs it versus having the defender shove him out of the box before the ball gets there. He's not massive enough to hold his ground, but once he gets the ball there the defender has to defend instead of just shoving him out.

Notice how many times jkiddo will re-post him, note how many times he gets the ball as soon as he's free on the baseline.

Against the GSW's for example they couldn't even get him the ball unless he was 18 feet out, it was pathetic.

dude1394
11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that timmah has made much of a living shooting a 12 foot banker...I've never quite understood why HOW you put the ball into the hoop (at a very high percentage rate) is more important than...well...putting it into the hoop.

spursncowboys
11-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that timmah has made much of a living shooting a 12 foot banker...I've never quite understood why HOW you put the ball into the hoop (at a very high percentage rate) is more important than...well...putting it into the hoop.
The lower you are, the higher your chance of getting a rebound. Look at his Off Rebs to his Def Rebs, and put that with any other PF/C superstar who shoots as much as he does.

stretch
11-21-2009, 02:19 PM
WTF are you talking about. That duche spent half his time outside the line last year like all the other years previous. Every year his rebound avg is the same except this year, which is a big improvement. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=609

Dirk is one of the best in the game at defensive rebounding. he just doesnt get a lot of offensive rebounds, although in the playoffs, that always changes, considering his career rebounding average in the playoffs increases considerably. but considering he has been surrounded by very good offensive rebounders like Dampier, Kidd, and Howard, he hasn't really needed to crash the offensive glass.

lol blind hater

Ghazi
11-21-2009, 02:20 PM
^ tell em!

dude1394
11-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Outside what line? If you look at dirks/timmahs shot charts they are not as disimilar as you might expect. Pretty much around the paint. Dirk has more range so he's will and can shoot out further, but most of his points are around the paint.

stretch
11-21-2009, 02:29 PM
The lower you are, the higher your chance of getting a rebound. Look at his Off Rebs to his Def Rebs, and put that with any other PF/C superstar who shoots as much as he does.

and look how it changes come playoff time

anyways, no one has said he is some dominant offensive rebounder, aside from you. but he doesnt need to be. you are basically criticizing him for being something he isnt. its like criticizing shaq for being a shitty 3 point shooter, or criticizing earl boykins for being a shitting low post scorer. maybe not that extreme, but the point is, criticizing him for something he is not, is ridiculous.

here is maybe something you can understand more... if i started bagging on Timmy for being a 7 footer that cant shoot and drive like a 2 guard, you and any other basketball fan would think that's outrageous. however, guys like Dirk have proven that 7 footers are able to play that way. however, Dirk and Timmy simply have different playing styles. or consider Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson... both are PGs that have completely opposite styles. but criticizing Jason Kidd for being unable to blow by his defenders like Iverson is unfair, because he simply cant do it, and criticizing Iverson for not being able to post other PGs up is unfair because he simply cant do it. my point is, its unfair to criticize a players greatness for being something that they arent. they are all great in different ways, and thats what makes sports so unique. how every great player in history, have different styles. there isnt a single two players that are just alike. everyone has signature styles that make them unique and great. everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses, but the great players strengths greatly outweigh their weaknesses.

spursfan09
11-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I guess I see a post game as being played differently. It's physical and right at the basket.

I don't see Mav games, other than the ones against the Spurs. Something I noticed was that Dirk backs people down, but will turnaround and do a fadeaway shot. I don't see him really backing anyone down all the way to the basket and hitting it off the backboard or anything.

dude1394
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
This is true, he will not power his way over people...but he really doesn't have too. Hakeem Olajuwan, Kevin McHale didn't either. He'll shoot it until someone can stop it.....they don't usually.. If he had the muscle mass to do what some feel he "should" do (instead of just scoring like crazy) he wouldn't be nearly as effective a player I don't think. He'd still be very good, just not all-world.

If the person crowds him too much he'll up and under them and he'll certainly take it to the rim from the ft-line. But to have what is considered a true post up game you almost have to have a jumphook or just be allowed to plow over people like snack.

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
It's physical and right at the basket.

Since when? Hakeem's the best post player of all time and his post moves were fare more finesse than physical.

Anyone says Dirk completely lacks a post game hasn't watched him since about 2003.

This is true, he will not power his way over people...but he really doesn't have too. Hakeem Olajuwan, Kevin McHale didn't either. He'll shoot it until someone can stop it.....they don't usually.. If he had the muscle mass to do what some feel he "should" do (instead of just scoring like crazy) he wouldn't be nearly as effective a player I don't think. He'd still be very good, just not all-world.

If the person crowds him too much he'll up and under them and he'll certainly take it to the rim from the ft-line. But to have what is considered a true post up game you almost have to have a jumphook or just be allowed to plow over people like snack.

:tu

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:26 PM
LOL, Dirks post up game...idiots...what's the next thread? Dirk's man-to-man defense is spectacular? lol some mav fans.

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
LOL, Dirks post up game...idiots...what's the next thread? Dirk's man-to-man defense is spectacular? lol some mav fans.

Lol @ dumbasses who blindly hold on to things from 1999. Dirk's defense is actually above average, watch a game sometime hater :tu

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:28 PM
dirk's post up game? seriously? LOL

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:28 PM
what's the next thread?

When we reflect on you saying Durant shot 41% from the field last year.

spursncowboys
11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Dirk is one of the best in the game at defensive rebounding.
That is because he is usually guarding someone in the post on defense.

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
lol quote fail
lol remembering what happen a year ago
LOL dirk's post up game

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:31 PM
lmao Roger Mason fan.

dude1394

I do hate to get into a p****** match with a moron but...as I recall it was pretty spectacular against timmah in the last overtime game I think. Hmm...

Timmah in OT : 0-3, all on the blocks against dirk. Hurts I know.

kamikazi_player
lmao jj barea
lmao berouis or whatever his name is ROY

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:32 PM
lol mavs fans jerking each other off again

dirk4mvp
Both of those guys are better than Roger Mason.

kamikazi_player
lol and i guess the rookie is better than jennings according to some of you mav fans:lmao

dude1394
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
lol quote fail
lol remembering what happen a year ago
LOL dirk's post up game

You are a strange bird, why would you want me to remember the spurs getting bounced from the playoffs by the mavs last year?

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
lol and i guess the rookie is better than jennings according to some of you mav fans:lmao

Yeah cuz you can definitely find that quote and aren't pulling it out of thin air :tu

lol Beaubois and Barea better than Roger Mason

kamikazi_player
look at beaubois is ROY thread by ghazi faggot

spursncowboys
and look how it changes come playoff time

anyways, no one has said he is some dominant offensive rebounder, aside from you. but he doesnt need to be. you are basically criticizing him for being something he isnt. its like criticizing shaq for being a shitty 3 point shooter, or criticizing earl boykins for being a shitting low post scorer. maybe not that extreme, but the point is, criticizing him for something he is not, is ridiculous.

here is maybe something you can understand more... if i started bagging on Timmy for being a 7 footer that cant shoot and drive like a 2 guard, you and any other basketball fan would think that's outrageous. however, guys like Dirk have proven that 7 footers are able to play that way. however, Dirk and Timmy simply have different playing styles. or consider Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson... both are PGs that have completely opposite styles. but criticizing Jason Kidd for being unable to blow by his defenders like Iverson is unfair, because he simply cant do it, and criticizing Iverson for not being able to post other PGs up is unfair because he simply cant do it. my point is, its unfair to criticize a players greatness for being something that they arent. they are all great in different ways, and thats what makes sports so unique. how every great player in history, have different styles. there isnt a single two players that are just alike. everyone has signature styles that make them unique and great. everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses, but the great players strengths greatly outweigh their weaknesses.
You gay groupie reject, I didn't criticize him. I said he is getting better than he was. Even your gay boyfriend's mother thinks Dirk spent way too much time around the three point line. Stop being so defensive about your team. They are pretty good. They aren't in the top tier category but they aren't bad. I will critcize any 7 footer who spends their time away from the bucket. Their height should guarantee they get more rebounds. It is not just Dirk.

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Ghazi is full of sarcasm, R-tard

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Ghazi's posts are a bout as relevant as yours.

Faggot.

lol butthurt

lol losing every argument

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Faggot.

lol butthurt

lol dirk having above average d
lol dirk's pussy fade aways
lol dirk's post game
lol some mav fans

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 03:38 PM

lol Blake

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
lol Blake

lol blake doesn't lose as many arguments as this faggot.

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
lol blake doesn't lose as many arguments as this faggot.
So you actually believe he has a post game? seriously? blind mav fan?

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
So you actually believe he has a post game?

That's pretty much the case. I say the sky is blue, you say its purple, there's no way I can really argue it and convince you. You gotta look up and see it for yourself (aka watch a game sometime)

dirk4mvp
11-21-2009, 03:51 PM
That's pretty much the case. I say the sky is blue, you say its purple, there's no way I can really argue it and convince you. You gotta look up and see it for yourself (aka watch a game sometime)

The only time he watches Mavs games is when they play the Spurs. And if they're gonna leave Bonner on him, he's just gonna shoot 15 footers all game with no resistance.

spursfan09
11-21-2009, 04:25 PM
It's true about Hakeem playing with finesse and all, but the closer you play to the basket the more banged up your going to get. I think that is what I mean in terms of being physical...Not saying Dirk can't handle it, but I see why he is outlasting Timmy right now. Too much wear and tear for Tim Duncan from playing down low his whole career. But again I haven't seen the Mavs play other than against the Spurs. So I'll look for that when I see a mavs game on.

Ghazi
11-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Faggot.

lol butthurt

Mav fan on mav fan hate :nope:nope

Indazone
11-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Dirk has a post up game? :lmao

Culburn369
11-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, anything neath the ft line extended to the sidelines and not out of bounds is now considered [post up].

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 04:42 PM

You're opinion might hold more value if you logged into KBP first faggot

Indazone
11-21-2009, 04:46 PM
and yours might actually hold water if you logged in as Rogue dipshit.

mavs>spurs2
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
and yours might actually hold water if you logged in as Rogue dipshit.

If you honestly think I'm Rogue then you've got serious problems, considering our IP addresses are sitting at exactly opposite sides of the world

Muser
11-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Those "pussy fade aways" are deadly...

redzero
11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
:lmao

I didn't realize that the fade away jumper is a sissy move.

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 05:18 PM

I didn't realize that the fade away jumper is a sissy move.
lol getting emo when people trashing over chris paul

kamikazi_player
11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
I know, some mav fans are so stupid i swear

z0sa
11-21-2009, 06:21 PM

badfish22
11-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Whatever as long as you spurfans know that Dirk owns Duncans ass, as well as the rest of the Spurs. Whatever he does to do that you can debate. But boy does he own the Spurs :lmao

spursncowboys
11-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Does Dirk own class, or a championship? Is he coachable? Has anyone put Dirk and greatest PF ever in the same sentence?

badfish22
11-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Does Dirk own class, or a championship? Is he coachable? Has anyone put Dirk and greatest PF ever in the same sentence?

Just the bolded makes me realize you're a dumb shit that I shouldn't respond to.

But he does own the Spurs ass. And Duncans on both sides of the court

Mavs_man_41
11-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Spur fans are the dumbest motherfuckers in all of professional sports. Go gorge on burritos you fat mexican pieces of sh*t

BlackSwordsMan
11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Spur fans are the dumbest motherfuckers in all of professional sports. Go gorge on burritos you fat mexican pieces of sh*t

Well I just had pizza. Gotta keep it diverse