fraga
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Did I miss something...

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
yes coz hes playing = =

vednam
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Blair is too much of a defensive liability at this point, and has a lot to learn before he starts logging major minutes.

The best rotation at the 4-5 is Duncan and McDyess starting, Ratlliff as the third big, with Bonner and Blair getting spot minutes.

fraga
11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah...it took 6 minutes left in the 4rth to be put in...

Bender
11-21-2009, 10:51 PM
he's not that good yet...

fraga
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Well hell giving him garbage minutes ain't gonna boost his confidence...

Sotongball21
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
He got blocked 50% of the time. :/

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Well hell giving him garbage minutes ain't gonna boost his confidence...

well if he isn't play well in garbage mins then obviously he still need to improve to the point pop trust him to give him regular mins

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
With some many new faces I think Pop will go with the vets.

Ratliff played great tonight and I think we'll see him before Blair now

I also hope Pop keep that starting 5 to give them some rhythm

Bender
11-21-2009, 10:55 PM
who started? I didn't catch the beginning of the game.

duncan228
11-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Bogans, Parker, McDyess, Duncan, Jefferson.

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Dice, TD, RJ. Bogans, TP

ElNono
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
2 airballed free throws in 2 consecutive games...
He's definitely Spurs material :lol

Bender
11-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I like that starting lineup also. Hope bogans stays a starter.

mogrovejo
11-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I predicted he'd drop out of the rotation at some point. Too slow right now to defend at an acceptable level in the NBA.

Brazil
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Bogans, Parker, McDyess, Duncan, Jefferson.

for me this is the one!

Bender
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I think an airball FT is just about the most embarrasing thing in basketball

itzsoweezee
11-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Ratliff is going to be more important for this team this year than Blair. If the choice is between giving Ratliff more minutes or Blair, I'd rather they go to Ratliff.

Bonner, on the other hand, I would not mind if some of his minutes go to Blair.

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2009, 11:01 PM
If Pop decides to go with Ratliff instead of Blair, what do you think about send Blair to the Toros?

I think it might be a good idea. The kid has A LOT to learn on D. He needs to play and he won't learn much from the bench.

Go there develop a little and come back

fraga
11-21-2009, 11:02 PM

I think an airball FT is just about the most embarrasing thing in basketball

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aI5unh05SyU/SdOZb64_90I/AAAAAAAAAkE/s1AK-xjVe14/s400/fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.JPG

angelbelow
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
we won convincingly tonight. just let it go geez.

HarlemHeat37
11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Spurs fans aren't accustomed to having young players to develop..Blair's a good player, but obviously his development is the most exciting part about him..he's a great prospect..right now, he isn't better than our other big men options..

Ratliff gives us a huge interior defensive presence off the bench, and we're going to need someone like that next to Bonner off the bench..Bonner is playing very well off the bench, he was even big on the boards tonight..

Blair will have his time..our other big men are starting to look good though, so that's a good thing..

yavozerb
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I still think that when manu comes back he should be placed in the starting unit and RJ play with the 2nd unit..I think manu shoots the 3 much better than RJ and RJ can create for the 2nd unit where he does not have to shoot the 3 as much with Bonner and finley/mason alongside.

easy7
11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Looks like Blair got some coaching on how to throw free throws from that lady in the Manu/Santa Rosa commercial where the Santa Rosa staff is trying to play basketball. I am afraid so, I am afraid so.... :hat

bdictjames
11-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm glad with the win.

#2!
11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
With the defense of late I don't see why we couldn't have Ian come in for just a few minutes to try and mimic Ratliff in garbage time. Besides Blair not taking too many minutes right now, Theo Ratliff himself can't be relied on for heavy minutes anyways. Remember, he's only played about 45 games per seaon for the last couple of years.

If not Blair should see his minutes go back up. Oh, and to those worried about DeJuan's confidence, don't.

LOL@MavsFan
11-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Blair is too much of a defensive liability at this point, and has a lot to learn before he starts logging major minutes.

The best rotation at the 4-5 is Duncan and McDyess starting, Ratlliff as the third big, with Bonner and Blair getting spot minutes.

I love the guy too, but I have to agree with this...at the same time how is going to learn w/o playing...guess that's why I'm not an NBA coach...

Sisk
11-22-2009, 01:46 AM
for me this is the one!

completely agree

LOL@MavsFan
11-22-2009, 01:48 AM

RJ was 86% last yr

barbacoataco
11-22-2009, 01:55 AM
With the defense of late I don't see why we couldn't have Ian come in for just a few minutes to try and mimic Ratliff in garbage time. Besides Blair not taking too many minutes right now, Theo Ratliff himself can't be relied on for heavy minutes anyways. Remember, he's only played about 45 games per seaon for the last couple of years.

If not Blair should see his minutes go back up. Oh, and to those worried about DeJuan's confidence, don't.

Agree with this. Ian must be pretty bad in practice. Ratliff has not played a full season in a while, so they should really limit him. Mahinmi seems like the only other prospect as a shot blocker. Even if he fouled a lot it wouldn't matter in limited minutes.

LOL@MavsFan
11-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Agree with this. Ian must be pretty bad in practice. Ratliff has not played a full season in a while, so they should really limit him. Mahinmi seems like the only other prospect as a shot blocker. Even if he fouled a lot it wouldn't matter in limited minutes.

I don't even think Ian is on the team...he probably bought those warm ups at the Spurs shop

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I could be wrong but i dont think i saw Ian on the bench. maybe hes nursing an injury lol

poop
11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
i love blairs ability for rebounding, and he seems to be a dependable finisher at the rim when he gets position and a good pass. but fuck, both guards and bigs were scoring on him AT WILL. as good as he is as rebounding so far in the pros it seems his lack of height is hurting him severely. he always seems to 'tocuh' the rebound but then the taller opponents just get control.

AND TWO AIRBALLED FREE THROWS IS COMPLETELY UNEXCUSEABLE EVEN FOR A MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKET BALL TEAM.
WTF!!!!!!!!!

Chieflion
11-22-2009, 04:11 AM
i love blairs ability for rebounding, and he seems to be a dependable finisher at the rim when he gets position and a good pass. but fuck, both guards and bigs were scoring on him AT WILL. as good as he is as rebounding so far in the pros it seems his lack of height is hurting him severely. he always seems to 'tocuh' the rebound but then the taller opponents just get control.

AND TWO AIRBALLED FREE THROWS IS COMPLETELY UNEXCUSEABLE EVEN FOR A MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKET BALL TEAM.
WTF!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8GVYhsXC8 -DeAndre Jordan

Not even on line. Went sideways. At least Blair is on line.

Bukefal
11-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Blair should get more minutes.

Xevious
11-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Notice that Bonner's rebounding numbers have gone up in the last five games or so (except for Utah where he only played 11 minutes). If he makes an effort to improve his game like that, he'll be getting all of Blair's minutes.

As much as I'd like to see Blair develop, he's been a non-factor out there.

#2!
11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Notice that Bonner's rebounding numbers have gone up in the last five games or so (except for Utah where he only played 11 minutes). If he makes an effort to improve his game like that, he'll be getting all of Blair's minutes.

As much as I'd like to see Blair develop, he's been a non-factor out there.

Bonner is really turning around some negative perceptions this year. Fans thought he couldn't produce in a non-starting role, and he has. Fans thought he'd buckle to the pressures of competition, and here he is improving in the area his competition excels.

But even if Blair is a low minutes/low production guy for a few more games the Houston Rockets are coming up on the schedule. He'll get himself out of this mini-slump (more like reduced minutes with normal rookie ebb and flow) then.

Mel_13
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM

The Spurs dress 5 bigs. Right now those five are Duncan, Dice, Bonner, Ratliff, and Blair. Ian will only get a chance to play if one of those five are injured or given a scheduled day off.

fraga
11-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Bonner is really turning around some negative perceptions this year. Fans thought he couldn't produce in a non-starting role, and he has. Fans thought he'd buckle to the pressures of competition, and here he is improving in the area his competition excels.

Um...I don't know how much you've actually watched Bonner...but that was his bread and butter...producing as a non-starter was what he did and what he does...it was when he is used as a starter and a major role player is when he chokes and chokes hard...he's not a starter...or should be considered a nail biter finisher...that's just not his game...

SenorSpur
11-22-2009, 10:10 PM
If Pop decides to go with Ratliff instead of Blair, what do you think about send Blair to the Toros?

The kid has A LOT to learn on D. He needs to play and he won't learn much from the bench.

Go there develop a little and come back

That's the key point right there. The kid has to get some minutes in order for him to develop. The real contradiction here is this kid gets crucified because he's young, raw, and doesn't have the defensive concepts down yet. However, the Spurs have 3 rotation players who know those same principals and have been in the system for a bit. Yet, they are STILL horrific defenders to the point where they are considered liabilities on defense and opponents attack them on such a regular basis.

While Blair may be a defensive liability now, he's got some skills that the Spurs could use now in some spots. Obviously, he walked in as probably the 2nd best rebounder on a roster that has few capable rebounders.

Personally, I'd like to see Pop not give him the typical "rookie hazing" that he dished out to Hill last year. From all reports, Blair has a good attitude and is not afraid of hard work - just like Hill.

Blair may never turn into even an average defender. The point is we don't know that yet. That said, let's give the kid a chance to develop before we start to consider him a bad investment.

peskypesky
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
i was at the game. my first spurs game in a year. and i am sad to say that as psyched as i was about seeing Blair live, it was really apparent that his lack of height is a serious problem. as much as he'd like to, he can't defend the rim the way Duncan and Ratliff can. and offensively, his lack of height made him look like a kid trying to take the ball in on adults. they just smacked him down. i can't see him playing many minutes unless we're playing a short team. sad to say it, but it was painfully obvious.

on the bright side, Theo Ratliffe was a fucking MONSTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fabbs
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Spurs are 3-1 in games Blair got 20+ minutes.
4-1 if you count the game he got 19 minutes.

1-5 in games he got less then 15 minutes.

So STFU all you PopApologists who whine about some occasional *missed assignments* or that he doesn't know *the system*. Or that his D is even in the same stratosphere as Mrs. Michael Popavich or Bonner.

Blairs positives far outweigh his negatives and PopaMoron looks like he is doing another of his petty control freak things.

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8GVYhsXC8 -DeAndre Jordan

Not even on line. Went sideways. At least Blair is on line.

:lmao

Capt Bringdown
11-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Pop seems to be OK with Finley's lack of defensive ability because of other qualities he brings to the court. But Blair's a rookie, so I guess he has to be spot-on perfect to get PT.

Ratliff's OK, but does anyone think he's going to be a heavy rotation player for us?

Our margin for error is non-existent, meaning we can't afford non-producing assets, so Pop should go ahead and trade Blair for a player he trusts.

Are they any 35 year old and up bigs up for grabs? What's Kurt Thomas doing these days?

EP Money Man
11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Blair needs to start pump faking more. Also as he progresses, he needs to start using his body as he goes back up for put-backs, or maybe get the rebound and pass it back out to reset b/c his height is a definite disadvantage.

superjames1992
11-23-2009, 12:00 AM

So STFU all you PopApologists who whine about some occasional *missed assignments* or that he doesn't know *the system*. Or that his D is even in the same stratosphere as Mrs. Michael Popavich or Bonner.

Blairs positives far outweigh his negatives and PopaMoron looks like he is doing another of his petty control freak things.
That's mostly because he got spot-up minutes in blowouts.

sabar
11-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Right now all he brings is a body and rebounding. His offense is awkward and his defense is sub-Finley, to say the least. If he keeps it up in practice and gets better at either he will see more time.

Do not forget that he is a rookie. Even good rookies usually don't drop into a playoff contender and fly off 20 MPG.

SpurNation
11-23-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm not off the Blair wagon. He's got the talent as exposed in the summer league and pre-season.

But what's painfully exposed as well in the last couple of games is him not adjusting to the game at hand.

He apparently has rebounding skills...(if not out of a secured position under the rim). But he's having to cheat out, defend further out than what he's used to and his lack of leaping ability and slow lateral movement (no ACL's ?) is preventing him from being able to get in a position to use his arm length to his advantage.

His offensive game is more of the same and is a reason he's getting blocked so often under the rim. He has not developed a move that gets defenders to commit on the fake. And he will have to perfect at least a fade away from about 6 feet from the rim to keep defenders honest.

It appears he is more interested in the "role" in the pick and role and is not setting convincing or effective "picks" in that scheme.

With those in mind...playing time isn't neccessarily going to help him improve more so than being able to consistently improve those aspects in practice. He's got argueably two of the best post defensive big men in the league to practice against. If he can learn to improve his weaknesses against Duncan and Ratliff...I suspect he'll get more time in games.

As of now...he's back to being a typical 37th pick with the potential to prove he should have been drafted earlier.

greyforest
11-23-2009, 09:27 AM

correlation is not causation

the cause of this is most likely pop putting blair in during garbage time in blowout games

Fabbs
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
superjames1992
That's mostly because he got spot-up minutes in blowouts.

correlation is not causation

the cause of this is most likely pop putting blair in during garbage time in blowout games
Wrong. Watch the games Blair got 19+ minutes in.
In the 1st and/or 2nd quarter of most of them, started vs Dallas (the win, not the Finley start loss).

SpursPreacher
11-23-2009, 10:19 AM
He will get his time with the final rotations are final.I think its just a matter of seeing what we have first and what will go together.

TIMMYD!
11-23-2009, 10:26 AM
He needs a steady J. Or maybe Tim can teach him his patented banker.

Mel_13
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
started vs Dallas (the win, not the Finley start loss).

Yet another fabulous Fabbs fact fail.

Finley did not start in either of the Dallas games.

Of course, any mention of Finley's minutes is entirely irrelevant to any informed discussion of Blair's current or future role on the Spurs.

#2!
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
The Spurs dress 5 bigs. Right now those five are Duncan, Dice, Bonner, Ratliff, and Blair. Ian will only get a chance to play if one of those five are injured or given a scheduled day off.

Which is why I mentioned Ratliff's situation.

Um...I don't know how much you've actually watched Bonner...but that was his bread and butter...producing as a non-starter was what he did and what he does...it was when he is used as a starter and a major role player is when he chokes and chokes hard...he's not a starter...or should be considered a nail biter finisher...that's just not his game...

I don't know how much you watched the spurs prior to 2008 but Bonner didn't produce shit before last year when he was given the starting role. And idk how much you get on ST, but there was certainly a shared concern that Bonner was not good enough to be a starter while not having the confidence necessary for his game to survive being moved to the bench.

I don't know if you've been reading long, but when terms such as "some Spurs fans" are used it is the author's intention to put distance between him/herself and the subject. As such, opinion's expressed in the name of that subject should not be attributed to the speaker.

DBMethos
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
He needs a steady J. Or maybe Tim can teach him his patented banker.

Maybe he should try banking in his free throws?

Fabbs
11-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Yet another fabulous Fabbs fact fail.

Finley did not start in either of the Dallas games.
Yes, Finley didn't start, he only came in after 7 minutes and played 33 minutes.
That changes everything. :rollin
You're like the pinhead liarwyars that say yes OJ had a mask and gun in his White Ford Bronco but because the evidence report failed to dot the i over "White" lets toss out the whole thing.

Of course, any mention of Finley's minutes is entirely irrelevant to any informed discussion of Blair's current or future role on the Spurs.
not meritorious of a response.

Mel_13
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes, Finley didn't start

So your facts were wrong yet again.

not meritorious of a response.

More like not capable

fraga
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know how much you watched the spurs prior to 2008 but Bonner didn't produce shit before last year when he was given the starting role. And idk how much you get on ST, but there was certainly a shared concern that Bonner was not good enough to be a starter while not having the confidence necessary for his game to survive being moved to the bench.

Um..I think we've been actually agreeing on the same thing without realizing it...

#2!
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Um..I think we've been actually agreeing on the same thing without realizing it...

Opinions are so hard go gauge in type form.:lol

SenorSpur
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Because Blair was not blessed with great height, he needs to take advantage of his strengths. He's already blessed with natural, raw strength, good hands and a knack for rebounding. I believe Blair needs more weight room work to make himself stronger so that he can literally overwhelm opponents with that physical strength.

Offensively, he's already got a nice touch around the basket, but he could stand to develop a couple of "go-to" moves, along with some hard pump-fakes, that should enable him to create enough space to get his shot off. Because he is chocked full of that "get after it", kind of desire, he will draw his share of fouls, simply because of the way he pounds the glass. Therefore, he needs to improve his FT shooting. A summer with Chip should take care of that.

The Spurs are really fortunate to have had Blair land in their laps. Whether he plays 2 years or 12 years, he brings a set of skills that can really help this team - if they're willing to develop him. Since most young players make their biggest developmental leap from year 1 to year 2, expect bigger and better things from him next season.

The Truth #6
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Whatever initial confidence he seemed to have is gone. He's caught in a negative feedback loop for sure. He doesn't possess the same energy and positive emotion he did earlier. He should always be able to rebound but he can't even do that right now. Hopefully things will start to click for him. I still believe we need for him to be productive for us to do something this year. I'm not expecting Ratliff to always be healthy or productive.