PDA

View Full Version : Hairston/Blair/Hill

draft87
11-22-2009, 04:30 AM
around 5:00 left in the 4th against the Wizards....

did you see Hairston shove Blair into position to guard his man?
even though i think it was a simple "Didn't realize who was my man" situation, Malik looked like a seasoned vet who is very comfortable with the team/system and can just sit around for a few games and suddenly get it and get it going. Yes, he played only 6 minutes but his body language was great. Really looking forward to the time when Hairston gets some quality minutes and produces. Should it happen it'll actually slightly suck since there'll be a total logjam at the 2-3 spot, but it could be a silver-lining to an extended Manu injury. Not that Malik Hairston could ever replace the Manu Factors(playmaking not in the stats), but I see a lot of potential in a Hill, Mason, Bogans, Hairston, Jefferson rotation, don't you?

Yes, a handful of people have been expressing their anticipation of Hairston's entrance to the season....just figured I'd add my two cents.

His body looks great, he's keeping in shape and it looks like he added 8-10lbs of muscle. Mentally he looks confident and ready. We already know he's athletic. There were some impressive dunks/boards last season but he's worked on his jumper a lot, right? Summer league stats were nice and that one shot that got waived off by the 3-second call looked good.
The 3 games after Milwaukee are against teams that have big, tough, and/or quick scorers at the 2-3 spots. With Manu out maybe Malik will get some quality minutes and a chance to both play D on premier players and find ways to create plays/spot up some perimeter jumpers.

p.s. I think I also saw George Hill either "Yell" or push Blair into formation during a game as well. Since people have been wondering why we haven't seen more of him, I'd like to point out that DeJuan is still very unrefined. He's pure, raw talent. He has a lot of skills. I'm actually really impressed with passing, shooting, dribbling(I really thought all he had was a 3ft range) but he needs to do a lot of mental development. This doesn't mean that he's not good or that he's stupid. He's got a lot of heart to go with his natural abilities, give him a little time and I'm sure he'll be a big part of the team. These little 'incidents' of him being 'lost' should help get an understanding of why Blair's getting the limited playing time.

p.s.s. I think that if Manu was out like last year and we didn't have Mason and Bogans instead of playing Finley 38 MPG we'd see a lot of Hairston. I think he would play as bravely as George Hill is if the 2-3 positions were in the same situation as the point guard.

p.p.s.s. God Bless George Hill. As much as I just handjobbed Malik Hairston I will not "Indy G" go unnoticed. the 2010 Spurs have so much talent and I think "OoheyPoohey" is the bridge between the "Big 3/vets", "new vets", and the "youth movement"
At times he'll be running the offense, likely with several new vets on the floor but also with established vets that already have a chemistry together. Other times he'll be a scorer and premier defended. He'll be representing, offense, defense, and the young players all in some capacity. AND he's totally ready and willing to do it. Keep this kid happy and healthy and I think our wonderful mixture of talent/personalities comes together and realizes the excellent team it can be.
It's a shame that Manu is on the bench cause I think this week is gonna be a step in the right direction.

Bucks, Rockets, Warriors, Sixers. Even though the latter 2 don't have glowing records they are both tough teams. They're young, they run, and all four teams are very physical. Golden State aside we're up against 3 of the tougher defenses in the league. Pop and the team know we can't afford to have four big games go the way of offensive confusion and timid defense. Everyone's gonna step it up and we'll get a better idea of what the 'real' Spurs are. Should dampen the "OH MY GOD WHAT DO WE EXPECT ARE WE GONNA WIN LARRY O'BRIEN OR ARE WE LOTTERY BOUND" mentality. Win or Lose I predict Spurs-caliber defense and Timmy/Tony doing their thing while RJ, RMJ, AMD, and GH learn to claim their own alongside T/T. Throw in some flashes of Bonner, Finley, Bogans, Blair, Hairston, Ratliff and good things are to come

yah, I know this was long. Imagine what my friends/family have to listen to when I've had a few and there's a night of NBA. I want to work with Bill/Sean. Somebody, make that happen. Please.

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 02:57 PM
nice write up.

I think hairston is ready to play. He was active on the defensive end and he nailed the 2 shots he took, even though one of them didnt count. he definitely has a confident body language and i too hope we see more of him soon.

Darkwaters
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm very hopeful for Malik Hairston this season with the Manu injury. Hes in a very unique position. Hes talented enough to contribute at the big club but also would benefit from time with the Toros (and retains this year of NBDL eligibility). I could definitely see him jumping between the two clubs all season and contributing at both levels.

Chomag
11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Hairston has always shown some B-ball savoy. However he just can't seem to earn respect from Pop to get minutes no matter what he does. I'm just hoping Pop realizes he is doing what he did with Ghill last season in which he admitted it came back and bit him.

I'm not talking about a minute here and there it's hard to prove anything liek that. He needs some good steady minutes to let him get in a rythem or groove of soem kind.

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Hairston has always shown some B-ball savoy. However he just can't seem to earn respect from Pop to get minutes no matter what he does. I'm just hoping Pop realizes he is doing what he did with Ghill last season in which he admitted it came back and bit him.

I'm not talking about a minute here and there it's hard to prove anything liek that. He needs some good steady minutes to let him get in a rythem or groove of soem kind.

Yea, i think at this point we need an injury from mason or finley to free up some minutes - not that im hoping for mason or finley to suffer an injury.

Chieflion
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Yea, i think at this point we need an injury from mason or finley to free up some minutes - not that im hoping for mason or finley to suffer an injury.
We just need to hear from Finley about his retirement.

Spursfan 87
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Hairston reminds me a lot of when we had Devin Brown. A young uy with great work ethic, who gained Pop trust and played very well for us until he got hurt.

Sooner or later Pop is going to give Finley the Steve Smith treatment, give those minutes to Hairston. Well I hope

FvckMavs
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Hairston reminds me a lot of when we had Devin Brown. A young uy with great work ethic, who gained Pop trust and played very well for us until he got hurt.

Sooner or later Pop is going to give Finley the Steve Smith treatment, give those minutes to Hairston. Well I hope

Devin Brown and "great work ethic"? :lol

Darkwaters
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM

:lol Good catch. It's always nice to remember the "good ole days".

SenorSpur
11-23-2009, 10:11 AM

I thought the same thing. :lol

mountainballer
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM

yeah. Devin worked hard. he has improved his handicap by 5 during his time with the Spurs.

SenorSpur
11-23-2009, 10:54 AM
yeah. Devin worked hard. he has improved his handicap by 5 during his time with the Spurs.

:rollin

benefactor
11-23-2009, 02:27 PM
If Devin Brown is Hairston's ceiling, we might as well waive him now.

spurspokesman
11-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Nope. Pop will be stubborn and stick with the corpse of finley. I would like to see him get a real shot.

coyotes_geek
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM

Hairston's ceiling isn't going to be much higher than that. Call it Devin Brown with a better work ethic.

SenorSpur
11-23-2009, 04:51 PM

another home run of a comment. :lol

rjv
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
the point about hill's leadership on the court is well taken. he looks poised, confident and in command when on the court this year. he is definitely not enduring a "sophomore" slump.

yavozerb
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Hairston's time will come, just probably not this year..I really cannot see this guy getting much work with manu,finley,mase,bogans all in front of him. Everyone just be patient cause this guy is still young and he still can go to Austin to refine his skills even more.

SamoanTD
11-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Hairston's time will come, just probably not this year..I really cannot see this guy getting much work with manu,finley,mase,bogans all in front of him. Everyone just be patient cause this guy is still young and he still can go to Austin to refine his skills even more.
his year will be next year when fin retires

HarlemHeat37
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Finley retiring?..I'll believe it when I see it..

He'll go when Pop goes, they can spend the rest of their years together enjoying some nice wine on the beach..