PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Offense

draft87
11-22-2009, 05:58 AM
At the end of Preseason I tried to do some #s to predict rotations and stats. I knew I was looking the potential to have the highest scoring Spurs of the Duncan era.

After 10 games my #s didn't really change. The rotations look pretty similar except I threw in a minute or so into SF and PF to account for the serious small ball that is occasionally played. Here's a spread sheet I made of
1) predicted rotation minute averages

2) points per game

a)i'll update my complete box score average predictions

b)Haislip/Hairston/Mahinmi have at least 1 minute in at least position to account for them being on the team even though it's possible they won't play at all for most of the season. 1-3 minutes isn't gonna throw off the entire rotation

c) some players are listed at several positions. You first see George Hill playing 10 minutes and might go "what the fuck he'll play more than 10 minutes". Yes. I'm predicting he'll play 10 minutes at the point. At the next position, shooting guard, he's listed at 10 minutes as well. This means I predict him to play 20 minutes total. I put that in parentheses.
It's possible that a player will play the total minutes in parentheses but at only one main position.

All that said, once the offense gets running on all cylinders I anticipate a very high scoring Spurs team this season. I don't think there's any way to slow things down. It would be counter productive to tell all these talented scorers to censor themselves. I don't anticipate anyone averaging over 20PPG but I do expect any one of 7 players to go nuts one night and then fall back into the average for a bit. That's a good thing to have so many potent weapons. Seriously don't be surprised if you watch a game that we win against Phoenix, Cleveland, Houston, or New York with Matt Bonner as the high scorer at 16 or something. If Timmy/Dice/Blair are wrecking shit up inside expect the double teams to create big open shots for Red Rocket. If he heats up and hits 5(not uncommon) that's 15 right there. Throw in a streaking Mason/Finley/Bogans/Jefferson and then those teams can't double up leaving room for Timmy to do his thing. Most defenses won't ever be able to get comfortable with their coverage when we have it going cause we have weapons at every offensive skill set(Post, perimeter, slashing, spot-up, offensive rebound) IT'S SICK.

so here's the link:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArU0bQx3wRY0dDU4dU5zSm90Qkl1NkJUNk5veC1RU Xc&hl=en

Obviously Hairston/Haislip/Mahinmi probably won't average a combined 4PPG but there's a very good chance that Timmy will average more than 15. That type of situation might also happen with Jefferson/Ratliff/Bogans/Finley and the likes but this seems all realistic. Can you see George Hill averaging 10ppg? Yes. McDyess 10ppg? Yes. Blair at least 5ppg? Yes.
Can you imagine the Spurs Scoring the upwards of 119ppg? Crazy.

I put a decent amount of time/thought and examining PER, box scores, and film. Please don't reply by saying "Bonner is gay and can't score 8ppg" Other than crap like that I'm ok with someone saying, "There's no way in Hell!!!"

portnoy1
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey bro I checked it out. Its pretty solid. Nice Work.

Ryvin1
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice input.. I like the breakdown and hope things work out as high powered offense as you suggest.

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
A big factor in the younger guys, Ian/Malik/Haislip, not playing is because the majority of games have been close. Playing those guys even a minute could put us in a bigger hole. Im not saying that they will, but having proven veterans play in those spots theoretically give us a better chance of either remaining in the game or pulling ahead.

draft87
11-24-2009, 04:28 AM
I don't anticipate anyone averaging over 20PPG but I do expect any one of 7 players to go nuts one night and then fall back into the average for a bit. That's a good thing to have so many potent weapons. Seriously don't be surprised if you watch a game that we win against Phoenix, Cleveland, Houston, or New York with Matt Bonner as the high scorer at 16 or something. If Timmy/Dice/Blair are wrecking shit up inside expect the double teams to create big open shots for Red Rocket. If he heats up and hits 5(not uncommon) that's 15 right there. Throw in a streaking Mason/Finley/Bogans/Jefferson and then those teams can't double up leaving room for Timmy to do his thing. Most defenses won't ever be able to get comfortable with their coverage when we have it going cause we have weapons at every offensive skill set(Post, perimeter, slashing, spot-up, offensive rebound) IT'S SICK.

Duncan 32min/24pts/12rb/2ast
Bonner 25min/23pts(6-8 3pt, 3-3FT)/6rb/2ast

like i was saying.....y'all can step away from the cliff. this strategy works.
I'm guessing Pop's gonna let the first quarter run freely and decide which 1-2 and rolling enough to have them initiate the offense. so tim/tony/manu/rj will try to get things going and when defense's adjust we're gonna try to find the hot hand that totally discombobulates the other team's defensive game plan. timmy+bonner+hill+mason in 4th gear while tony, RJ, McDyess, Bogans, and Blair picking up the slack. This system will work. Imagine when McDyess adds 3-4 midrange jumpers to this AND Manu's back in the mix. There's just gonna be so much scoring going it's gonna ridiculous. a 10pt Tony Parker won't be a bad thing if 4 other guys are going nuts. a Richard Jefferson 8 pt game won't be bad if McDyess drops 15, Blair adds 10, Mason or Bonner get from downtown(like combined 6-10). A Tim Duncan 8pt game wont' be bad if Tony is wrecking it up in the paint like 20 pts and manu is everywhere dropping 20 points and getting the rest of the team involved. And on any given night Hill could go nuts for 25. The firepower we have is insane. I'd start getting used to 105-120 pt games from now on.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I like it

Rynospursfan
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
The only problem I see here is that you can't just simply add up the points that all the players average and expect that to be what the team will average. When players that don't play every game get on the board it screws this up.

Tony may average 14 points a game, but he has only played in 2/3 of the games. This goes the same with the other end of the bench. Ratliff and Hairstons numbers can't be added to create an average total for the team since they don't get into every game.