PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni: Maybe we should've signed Iverson

duncan228
11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
D'Antoni: Maybe we should've signed Iverson (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/18444935?source=rss_blogs_NBA)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Mike D'Antoni provided some more insight Saturday into why the team decided not to offer four-time scoring champion Allen Iverson a contract. And while the Knicks' coach said he's "really comfortable" with the decision, he didn't sound convinced.

"Talk to me 30 games from now," D'Antoni said before the Knicks beat the Nets 98-91. "Maybe we should’ve done it, I don’t know."

The process never got to the point where D'Antoni felt compelled to meet face-to-face with Iverson, who is a free agent after getting waived by the Grizzlies in another ugly parting of ways for the future Hall of Famer. D'Antoni said he didn't need to meet with Iverson to understand what kind of role he would've expected in New York.

"You guys have written enough about him," D'Antoni told a small group of reporters. "I think everybody pretty much knows the deal. He’s been pretty open about the deal. You have to play a certain away (with Iverson). Now, he’s good enough to command that and that’s fine. With Eddy (Curry), with our young guys, that’s not the way we wanted to go. Nothing against Allen."

Asked if he would've been sold on the idea if Iverson were capable of accepting a secondary role, D'Antoni said, "That’s not Allen. You know that, and it’s not even fair to ask him to do that."

D'Antoni then compared Iverson's situation to that of Stephon Marbury -- reluctantly, he said. D'Antoni benched Marbury at the start of last season and ultimately banished him from the team.

"It’s a little bit like Stephon," D'Antoni said. "That’s not right. That’s not right to him. Either you're giving him the keys to the car, or you’re not."

Miami and Charlotte have been mentioned as potential destinations for Iverson, but NBA front office executives expect him to be on the market for a while -- perhaps becoming a contingency option for a team that suffers backcourt injuries. Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, attended Saturday's game between the Knicks and Nets but said there were no developments warranting a comment.

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree with Mikey's assessment. There is no way AI is okay with coming off the bench whether or not hes playing for a contender.

djohn2oo8
11-22-2009, 02:49 PM
LOL Knicks

boston.balla
11-22-2009, 03:20 PM
the knicks would benefit from ai.. that's the sad thing, he could really play the sg for their small ball.

Red Hawk #21
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Damn its crazy that Iverson's career is gunna end this way...

Indazone
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Iverson to his credit is way better than Starbury though. The pathetic Knicks should have signed his ass.

Chef Boyardee
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Pringles is a fraud. It's now been proven. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

Indazone
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
JVG had one quote that I always liked. A great coach, an NBA coach should never shy away from talent. No matter what issues they have. A great coach always feels that they should be able to work with that player.

Know what? Screw D'Antoni and the Knicks!

Indazone
11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
MSG to D'Antoni

No shit Sherlock!! When did you buy a clue?

pawe
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
No way is AI a future hall of famer.

iggypop123
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
the jazz dont agree

it's me
11-22-2009, 10:24 PM
They should try to get Manu..... dude is pretty much done but sure can win some games for them... and we don't need him no more....

Chieflion
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Allen Iverson is better than Chris Duhon and Nate Robinson. Idiot Knicks.

11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
like it or not, he's already locked in. every eligible candidate who has won a MVP in the NBA has made it into the hall of fame.

ChrisRichards
11-23-2009, 01:46 AM
like it or not, he's already locked in. every eligible candidate who has won a MVP in the NBA has made it into the hall of fame.
not true

see spencer haywood

mojorizen7
11-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey D'Antoni....(cough)maybe you shoulda signed your system er...Steve Nash.

11-23-2009, 02:16 AM
not true

see spencer haywood

i believe haywood won the ABA MVP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_MVP

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/rob_peterson/04/03/mvp.20090403/index.html

duncan228
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Celtics Admit Iverson Is An Appealing Prospect (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-celticsadmitiversoni&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The Knicks recently went through the internal discussions of whether to pursue free-agent SG Allen Iverson, but they apparently weren’t the only ones.

Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge told the Boston Herald that his team also had talks about Iverson — but it never got to the point where he contacted Iverson or his agent.

“We have had internal discussions about (Iverson),” Ainge said, “but a decision like this has to be unanimous, and it wasn’t.”

Ainge said that if the team has an injury, and Iverson is still available, it’d be natural to rethink the idea.

“He’s someone I would definitely consider if I felt we had a need,” Ainge said. “But I like the team we have now, and we don’t have that need.”

lefty
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Celtics Admit Iverson Is An Appealing Prospect (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-celticsadmitiversoni&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The Knicks recently went through the internal discussions of whether to pursue free-agent SG Allen Iverson, but they apparently weren’t the only ones.

Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge told the Boston Herald that his team also had talks about Iverson — but it never got to the point where he contacted Iverson or his agent.

“We have had internal discussions about (Iverson),” Ainge said, “but a decision like this has to be unanimous, and it wasn’t.”

Ainge said that if the team has an injury, and Iverson is still available, it’d be natural to rethink the idea.

“He’s someone I would definitely consider if I felt we had a need,” Ainge said. “But I like the team we have now, and we don’t have that need.”

Do it Ainge !!
Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase :lmao

pauls931
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
What a hate on Dantoni thread. He says maybe later on he'll think they should've signed Iverson. Not right now.

coyotes_geek
11-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Don't be silly. He's a 100% absolute lock to make the HOF.

Brazil
11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't understand the Knicks decision really. How AI could hurt this team ??? they are just going nowhere, maybe he could have helped them to take a PO spot and what is best to develop young players than PO ??

lefty
11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't understand the Knicks decision really. How AI could hurt this team ??? they are just going nowhere, maybe he could have helped them to take a PO spot and what is best to develop young players than PO ??

On top of that, Nate Robinson is shooting anywhere

Brazil
11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
On top of that, Nate Robinson is shooting anywhere

there is worse than Nat = Duhon guy is shooting 20% he played 3 or 4 games w/o scoring a single point while playing 30 mn !!! D'Antoni is awful

lefty
11-25-2009, 07:41 PM
there is worse than Nat = Duhon guy is shooting 20% he played 3 or 4 games w/o scoring a single point while playing 30 mn !!! D'Antoni is awful
Duhon is not the greatest, but he wasn't that bad either before D'Anotni took over

SinBAD
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
It's too bad noone wanted AI.AI is better than alot of starters out there right now.I think he'll come back.If not it'll be a sad end for a legend.NY is a joke anyways.they wont get lebron and they'll continue to suck as a team for ever.

Lefty, Algeria shouldnt be in the world cup.They got so lucky against Egypt.I'm not Egyptian but Egypt is clearly the better team.Algerians scored then waste time and fake injuries.I'm not sure i want them in the world cup.

Brazil
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Lefty, Algeria shouldnt be in the world cup.They got so lucky against Egypt.I'm not Egyptian but Egypt is clearly the better team.Algerians scored then waste time and fake injuries.I'm not sure i want them in the world cup.

oh god.... you enleashed hell

Cherry
11-25-2009, 07:50 PM
They should try to get Manu..... dude is pretty much done but sure can win some games for them... and we don't need him no more....

There? no way :rollin

lefty
11-25-2009, 08:03 PM
It's too bad noone wanted AI.AI is better than alot of starters out there right now.I think he'll come back.If not it'll be a sad end for a legend.NY is a joke anyways.they wont get lebron and they'll continue to suck as a team for ever.

How come we beat them twice in normal conditions ?

Coincidence? Not !

Those cheaters attacked our players in Cairo because they were afraid not to go to the World Cup

The better team won, deal with it

But before that, watch the actual games before opening your mouth

SinBAD
11-26-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm sorry lefty but I watched the games.Algeri played very well the first one in Algeria.In Cairo they didnt do anything and in Sudan they had 2 chances in the first half.Their goal keeper was amazing really saving them from 2 real goals.

Regardless, What happened in Cairo was wrong.But Algerians did the same thing in 2001 to the egyptian team bus.At that time Egypt beat Algeria 5-2 in cairo and just needed to win 1-0 in Algeria but you beat up the team and ended up drawing 1-1.Egypt needed to win and Algeria had no hope yet they still made sure Egypt didnt qualify.

Algeria is an ok team but clearly Egypt has way more accomplishments. you dont become 4 time African cup winner unless you're a good team.I dont think Algeria will do anything in the African cup and I will remind you.They only play well Against Egypt because they are jealous of Egyptians because of all of their accomplishments in everything.I mean Egypt is clearly superior to Algeria in everything, economy, media, cinema, sports.Soccer isnt their only sport you know. Squash is dominated by Egyptians, handball they're always top 4.

One last thing, If Algerians dont fake injury and play dirty I would respect their team but they are just dirty.The only reason the ref didnt pull out a red card was because he is supposed to officiate a game in Algeria this week and he knows he would get killed.Algerian violence in known all around the world.Why wouldn't France play with you after 2001?did you forget what happened?Speaking of cheaters, what do you think of Algeria sending criminals to sudan when Egypt sent celebrities to watch the game?What were you thinking sending people in military planes to sudan?Daggers and swords?come on!who attacks fans of other nations with swords after they lose?Only people who kill each other in their own country like Algerians.this whole problem escalated because Algerian media said 8 algerians were killed in Egypt when none were.its all on your media and I;m glad the arab world sees that.I just read Egypt has cut ties with you because of attacking their fans and just saw some sad pictures of Algerias beat them up in sudan.is that arabic brotherhood?it also said they were building you movie theaters, since you dont have any, and were trying to help in development.it is clearly your loss.all the algerian students learning in egypt had to move back.its clearly your loss.

I'm not egyptian and i didnt have anything against Algerians till these games.I only wanted egypt to qualify because they play amazing soccer against bigger teams like brazil and italy.They just were unlucky from the beginning. this generation of egyptian players are loved al over the middle east and thats why i love them especially abo terika.very respectful player.I live in San Antonio and all the arabs i know here were very sad algeria won.

Anyways good luck in the world cup but all im saying is that we would've hrather had egypt represent arabs and no algerian's because you guys are more french really than arabs i mean you say 1,2,3 viva algeri.lol.Also i dont see your game plan working in the world cup which is basically counter attacks and crosses.those are the only 2 ways you score goals.you cant build any type of offense.

I congratulate you on making the worldcup but i'm sorry about the first round exit and you wont make it past the second round in the african.

this is a basketball forum so i wont talk abou tthis again.I'm a big spurs fan so hope they do well but just thought you should know what arabs of SA think

Steve Jobs
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Gobble Gobble!!!

lefty
11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry lefty but I watched the games.Algeri played very well the first one in Algeria.In Cairo they didnt do anything and in Sudan they had 2 chances in the first half.Their goal keeper was amazing really saving them from 2 real goals.

Regardless, What happened in Cairo was wrong.But Algerians did the same thing in 2001 to the egyptian team bus.At that time Egypt beat Algeria 5-2 in cairo and just needed to win 1-0 in Algeria but you beat up the team and ended up drawing 1-1.Egypt needed to win and Algeria had no hope yet they still made sure Egypt didnt qualify.

Algeria is an ok team but clearly Egypt has way more accomplishments. you dont become 4 time African cup winner unless you're a good team.I dont think Algeria will do anything in the African cup and I will remind you.They only play well Against Egypt because they are jealous of Egyptians because of all of their accomplishments in everything.I mean Egypt is clearly superior to Algeria in everything, economy, media, cinema, sports.Soccer isnt their only sport you know. Squash is dominated by Egyptians, handball they're always top 4.

One last thing, If Algerians dont fake injury and play dirty I would respect their team but they are just dirty.The only reason the ref didnt pull out a red card was because he is supposed to officiate a game in Algeria this week and he knows he would get killed.Algerian violence in known all around the world.Why wouldn't France play with you after 2001?did you forget what happened?Speaking of cheaters, what do you think of Algeria sending criminals to sudan when Egypt sent celebrities to watch the game?What were you thinking sending people in military planes to sudan?Daggers and swords?come on!who attacks fans of other nations with swords after they lose?Only people who kill each other in their own country like Algerians.this whole problem escalated because Algerian media said 8 algerians were killed in Egypt when none were.its all on your media and I;m glad the arab world sees that.I just read Egypt has cut ties with you because of attacking their fans and just saw some sad pictures of Algerias beat them up in sudan.is that arabic brotherhood?it also said they were building you movie theaters, since you dont have any, and were trying to help in development.it is clearly your loss.all the algerian students learning in egypt had to move back.its clearly your loss.

I'm not egyptian and i didnt have anything against Algerians till these games.I only wanted egypt to qualify because they play amazing soccer against bigger teams like brazil and italy.They just were unlucky from the beginning. this generation of egyptian players are loved al over the middle east and thats why i love them especially abo terika.very respectful player.I live in San Antonio and all the arabs i know here were very sad algeria won.

Anyways good luck in the world cup but all im saying is that we would've hrather had egypt represent arabs and no algerian's because you guys are more french really than arabs i mean you say 1,2,3 viva algeri.lol.Also i dont see your game plan working in the world cup which is basically counter attacks and crosses.those are the only 2 ways you score goals.you cant build any type of offense.

I congratulate you on making the worldcup but i'm sorry about the first round exit and you wont make it past the second round in the african.

this is a basketball forum so i wont talk abou tthis again.I'm a big spurs fan so hope they do well but just thought you should know what arabs of SA think

1st of all, the allegations against Algerians have NEVER been proven

And for the "supposed" attacks in Sudan, the Egyptian Ambassador in Khartoum got an earful from the SUdanese government, because it was all lies.

Before saying we did this and that, get your facts straight instead of picking up rumors from the Internet.

Thank you.

Oh, and we were the better team

And 2 years ago, we lost 4-3 to Argentina and 2-1 to Brazil; we also beat Uruguay this year; so stop thinking Egypt should have represented North Africa or Arab countries

SinBAD
11-26-2009, 12:13 PM
speaking about getting facts straight you lost 2-0 to brazil.all these were friendly games anyways noone cares about them.lol.lets see what you do in a competition oh and these are no rumors.when you can video and pictures to back it up its no rumor.why would egypt cut ties because of rumors?they've lost to ivory coast for wc 2006, they didnt cut ties with them.look at algeria's results these past 3 years and you lost to some pretty poor teams man.it would also be fair if you dont get all your players from france.they are algerian but they were born and raised in france and wanted to play for france but when they couldnt, they decided to play for algeria as a second option.

SinBAD
11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
rumors for you
http://www.yallakora.com/arabic/news/details.aspx?id=103445&Catid=1&region=
you would do that because you lost a game?dude what will happen in the world cup when you lose all?

lefty
11-26-2009, 12:45 PM
speaking about getting facts straight you lost 2-0 to brazil.all these were friendly games anyways noone cares about them.lol.lets see what you do in a competition oh and these are no rumors.when you can video and pictures to back it up its no rumor.why would egypt cut ties because of rumors?they've lost to ivory coast for wc 2006, they didnt cut ties with them.look at algeria's results these past 3 years and you lost to some pretty poor teams man.it would also be fair if you dont get all your players from france.they are algerian but they were born and raised in france and wanted to play for france but when they couldnt, they decided to play for algeria as a second option.
It was 2-0

Sorry I was typing fast :D

I will bookmark this thread

We'll talk after the African Cup and the World Cup

And yes, guys like Yebda and Meghni didn't play with France, but they are with us now, so WGAF

Speaking of Meghni, the Egyptian players had to foul every time he had the ball, it was really funny :lol

You talk about fairness?

In the 50's , at leat a 3rd of the French team was Algerian (we were all French at the time, no choice)
When the Revolution started, they all left the training camp to join our cause; French freaked out, because those guys were their top players.

And don't tell me you're not Egyptian, you clearly sound like one those bitter lying losers.

lefty
11-26-2009, 12:46 PM
rumors for you
http://www.yallakora.com/arabic/news/details.aspx?id=103445&Catid=1&region=
you would do that because you lost a game?dude what will happen in the world cup when you lose all?
Oh you've got to be kidding me :lmao

Brazil
11-26-2009, 01:03 PM
oh god.... you enleashed hell

i knew it

lefty
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
i knew it
:lol

lefty
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs008.snc3/11555_1147989585479_1399757375_30352464_8111767_n. jpg

SinBAD
11-27-2009, 02:44 AM
haha you wish you had the pyramids, you see how sad you guys are.you really have nothing to be proud of except this.speaking of fouling, Algeria cant play without fouling.Just read today Egyptians went to the Algerian embassy and carried the algerian flag as a sign of arab brotherhood.class act by the egyptians.what did algeria do other than lie and lie in their papers about people getting killed in Egypt.

lefty
12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
haha you wish you had the pyramids, you see how sad you guys are.you really have nothing to be proud of except this.speaking of fouling, Algeria cant play without fouling.Just read today Egyptians went to the Algerian embassy and carried the algerian flag as a sign of arab brotherhood.class act by the egyptians.what did algeria do other than lie and lie in their papers about people getting killed in Egypt.
OMG, stop it :lmao