PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Wizards made Spurs look good

duncan228
11-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Wizards made Spurs look good (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Wizards_made_Spurs_look_good.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs on Saturday held the Washington Wizards to 33.3 percent shooting and 84 points, the lowest field-goal percentage and second-lowest point total for an opponent this season.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich reserved judgment on whether this was a result of his team's defensive ascendancy or Washington's offensive struggles.

Afterward, the Wizards were openly sniping at one another about selfish play, and Popovich said he would wait to see the videotape before judging his team's defensive work.

“I just want to see how many basic errors we made and how many basic, good plays we made to see how much we improved,” he said. “Overall, I'm pretty certain it was better (defense) than it has been the last few games.”

Popovich was certain of one thing: He was happy with the interior defense and rebounding he got from center Theo Ratliff, one of two veteran interior players the Spurs signed as free agents in the summer.

Ratliff had a season-best 11 rebounds and blocked three shots in about 22 minutes against the Wizards.

“Theo got a decent amount of minutes, and I thought he had a fantastic defensive game,” Popovich said. “Offensively, he was very poised and played a good team game there.”

Ratliff, in his 15th season, has played only 75 minutes in the first 11 games but said he feels comfortable with the Spurs' schemes.

“I'm fine with learning the systems,” Ratliff said. “It's an adjustment, but once you understand the concepts and watch the film and see what it is Coach wants us to do, it's just about going out there and competing and just hustling. If you're giving effort, and you're in the right positions, everything works for us.”

Quarterback Tim: Tim Duncan had seven assists in the first half Saturday, prompting Popovich to laud his ability to quarterback the team.

Center Matt Bonner, recipient of one of those assists, said the Spurs understand that when Duncan is passing, they have to be ready for his throws.

“Obviously, you've got to have the right spacing and be in the right floor spots, but after that, he does it himself,” Bonner said.

“He draws the double-team and finds the open man.

“Tim's a team player, and he takes what the defense gives him. Some nights he scores, and some nights teams aggressively double him and try to take him out of the game. He's unselfish, so he just finds the open man.”

VivaPopovich
11-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Fab went in there, made great plays on both ends, then Flip Saunders takes him out for good. It was a mistake!

phxspurfan
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Omg, we had a real center in the game & TD played PF instead of Finley. Now we have a good defense.

Johnny RIngo
11-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Omg, we had a real center in the game & TD played PF instead of Finley. Now we have a good defense.

We also played one of the weakest teams in the league at home. Let's save the chest thumping for when we win an away game.

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-23-2009, 02:10 AM
I have said this all along. Start Ratliff at center with TD at PF. Jefferson at SF, Finley at SG and Parker at the point and we will start seeing results.

The key being starting Ratliff at center.

mingus
11-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Ratliff is injury prone so his minutes need to be limited.

Xevious
11-23-2009, 02:23 AM
We also played one of the weakest teams in the league at home. Let's save the chest thumping for when we win an away game.
They were also on the second half of a back-to-back. There's no excuse for any contending team to lose this game.

I have said this all along. Start Ratliff at center with TD at PF. Jefferson at SF, Finley at SG and Parker at the point and we will start seeing results.

The Spurs need to have some kind of set rotation in place so people can get used to their roles and keep working on their on-court chemestry. Ratliff's health is too much of a concern to start every game, even in limited minutes.

He had a great game though. Hopefully he can produce like that every time he plays.

SpursWench21
11-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Tim is the man

Isai659
11-23-2009, 03:02 AM
So is there any good free agents at the 5 position that we can pick up around the all star break?

boutons_deux
11-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Spurs are nothing but mediocre until they beat good teams, home and away.

spurspokesman
11-23-2009, 03:41 AM
I second that

duhoh
11-23-2009, 04:03 AM
10 of 15 of ratliff's season's are less than 55 games played due to injury.

i love his hustle, but i'm seeing that he has no regard for self-preservation. good stuff, old man

Johnny RIngo
11-23-2009, 07:17 AM
So is there any good free agents at the 5 position that we can pick up around the all star break?

FA won't get it done. Either we trade any combination of Bonner, Finley, Mason, etc or we do away with Manu(assuming his health is still a concern).

CGD
11-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Fab went in there, made great plays on both ends, then Flip Saunders takes him out for good. It was a mistake!

Fab took himself out of the game with quick fouls. Little Flip could do.

Flux451
11-23-2009, 11:07 AM
10 of 15 of ratliff's season's are less than 55 games played due to injury.

i love his hustle, but i'm seeing that he has no regard for self-preservation. good stuff, old man

True dat, if a guy, such as Ratliff, is trying swat everything insight he is bound to land wrong or on somebody. When he goes up to block a shot he has nothing in mind but the ball...it's pretty badass though.

SamoanTD
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM
True dat, if a guy, such as Ratliff, is trying swat everything insight he is bound to land wrong or on somebody. When he goes up to block a shot he has nothing in mind but the ball...it's pretty badass though.
motha fukin monsta!! :ihit

SCdac
11-23-2009, 01:22 PM
"Wizards made the Spurs look good"

was pretty much thinking the same thing to be honest.

It was a solid, NO game-opener-esque, win, but the Wizards are no litmus test on how good this Spurs team can be against real competition. Their most efficient player shooting wise went down sometime in the first quarter I believe (Mike Miller). He's not grabbing Washington a win by himself, but that team seemed sort of 'off' the whole night.

The teams we've beaten aren't exactly scary, aside from maybe Dallas.

Dallas, 10-3
Toronto, 6-8
New Orleans, 6-9
Sacramento, 5-7
Washington, 3-9

Don't get me wrong every win is good for our team and serves a purpose in the long run, especially a win without Tim/Tony against Dallas, but it'd be nice to win some (what I'd call) statement games. Next four or five weeks should be good for building team success, games against Boston, Denver, Houston, Portland, Dallas, Phoenix, rematches vs. Utah, etc. I want to see what this team is really made of, so far that hasn't been much middle ground (imo), we're beating weak teams pretty well, but struggling against good teams...

I'm just stoked to finally see this starting lineup... Duncan - McDyess - Jefferson - Bogans - Parker

phxspurfan
11-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Go with this plan and you can add Ratliff to the injury list 10 games from now.

UnWantedTheory
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
The Wiz made us look good all by themselves? :wow They are just crazy good like that then. Wow.