PDA

View Full Version : Hairston vs. Dragic

raspsa
11-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Hindsight is always 20-20. Given the situation as it stands today, should the Spurs have made this trade? We now have a better idea of the capabilities of each player though their resumes are very short, particulrly Malik's.

skervy
11-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Don't forget...the spurs also get the 2nd round pick on this trade that ended up being Blair. I'm pretty sure Hairston + Blair > Dragic.

Juanobili
11-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Hairston + Blair > Dragic.

raspsa
11-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Don't forget...the spurs also get the 2nd round pick on this trade that ended up being Blair. I'm pretty sure Hairston + Blair > Dragic.

No doubt..

jag
11-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Would dragic replace Hill or Parker?

Blackjack
11-23-2009, 01:59 AM
For this team, even had the trade not netted the Spurs Blair, I'd still take Hairston..

If you assume that Dragic's going to be a solid role-player, which would be fair, how much better of a role-player do you think he'd be than Hairston?

Don't hold the lack of playing time in a crowded wing rotation against the guy..

raspsa
11-23-2009, 02:10 AM
I think both guys can play in the NBA. Dragic seems to fit well in Phoenix.

mesothorny
11-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Hairston will hopefully take over Finley's spot in the rotation (though it's looking like later than sooner), and I can't really see Pop giving Dragic any meaningful minutes behind Hill. I haven't seen Dragic play much, but if his D is anywhere near Beno's, he'd be screwed.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-23-2009, 02:18 AM
The fact there's even a thread debating this shows how good Dragic has been this year. I remember how Spurfan talked about this like it was some lop sided historic rip off.

Blackjack
11-23-2009, 02:34 AM
The fact there's even a thread debating this shows how good Dragic has been this year. I remember how Spurfan talked about this like it was some lop sided historic rip off.

I don't recall there being a huge contingent proclaiming a lop-sided deal on account of Malik v Goran, but maybe I'm wrong.

Blair and Hairston v Dragic, on the other hand..

angelbelow
11-23-2009, 02:39 AM
we also got cash right?

draft87
11-23-2009, 02:39 AM
also, doesn't Dragic have a pretty hefty contract for a relatively unknown 2nd rd pick? I think there was a big buyout to get him out of Europe and into Phoenix so the Suns gave him a big contract to compensate him for using his own money to leave Europe. If that's the case I don't think the Spurs would have even picked him. I think the Suns asked us to pick him and then make a deal. Had we picked him he could still be overseas like Splitter since prior to Blair we've not been willing to give huge rookie contracts.

mesothorny
11-23-2009, 02:49 AM
we also got cash right?

a cool 1/2 mil.

Darkwaters
11-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Hindsight is always 20-20. Given the situation as it stands today, should the Spurs have made this trade? We now have a better idea of the capabilities of each player though their resumes are very short, particulrly Malik's.

Seriously? How can you even ask this question?

For Goran Dragic we got DeJuan Blair, Malik Hairston and 500k. We absolutely reamed the Suns in that trade.

Now, it's not nearly as big as the Herschel Walker trade, but it's still pretty damn one-sided.

mountainballer
11-23-2009, 07:24 AM
first off: I'm pretty happy that Dragic shows a nice development this season. I like that guy and wish him all the best. I was on the Dragic bandwagon before the 2008 draft, thought he might be a nice option for the Spurs 2nd rounder. of course I'm happy when a Euro player proves my estimation right. (especially when I thought that I was totally wrong about him after the 1st half of last season).
however. the trade still was a very good one for the Spurs, no doubt about that. (I also do like Hairston, so I'm not that sad about loosing Dragic).
and people shouldn't forget the circumstances. Dragic for the Spurs would also mean NO Hill.
Spurs wouldn't have drafted 2 combo PGs, who's potential is also pretty similar. if the Spurs planed to pick Dragic and keep him, they would have passed on Hill in the first place. just my opinion.
things might turn out different, if the Rockets (for the Blazers) didn't steal Batum in the 1st round. in that case the Spurs pick Batum and IMO there is a good chance they then pick Dragic and keep him.

ElNono
11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I think it could be a good fight... I have Hairston with a TKO in the 5th round... but if Dragic pulls it off, I really couldn't complain...

Is this going to be on HBO PPV?

coyotes_geek
11-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Ending up with Blair out of the deal still makes the trade swing heavily in the Spurs favor. Head to head between Hairston and Dragic, I think the Spurs still come out ahead just given the fact that Dragic would be stuck behind Parker and Hill while there's a chance that Hairston can turn into a rotation player.

benefactor
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Ending up with Blair out of the deal still makes the trade swing heavily in the Spurs favor. Head to head between Hairston and Dragic, I think the Spurs still come out ahead just given the fact that Dragic would be stuck behind Parker and Hill while there's a chance that Hairston can turn into a rotation player.
:tu

Ryvin1
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

don't forget the 500k.. thats pays for 1/2 of the purchase of the entire Toro's franchise..:greedy

Stump
11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
San Antonio obviously got what they wanted out of this deal with money and a couple of roleplayers. If Phoenix is happy with their Dragic, why can't it be that both teams won?

emanueldavidginobili
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
yes, dragic is a solid back up PG

5in10
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Dragic is good but don't forget how good the suns system makes point guards look.

xellos88330
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Dragic is good but don't forget how good the suns system makes point guards look.

:lmao