PDA

View Full Version : Why did Duncan fail at leading the US to gold in 04'????

An Unbiased Fan
11-23-2009, 04:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2004_Summer_Olympics

Looking back, why did TD fail at winning gold. He & Iverson were the leaders of that team, yet the US REALLY underperformed. Guys like Gasol, Irk, and Manu had lesser supporting casts and led them futher.

Was is a lack of leadership? Poor coaching? Not having a goto guy they could depend on in the clutch? Is it fair to say that if Kobe is on that team, Duncan has a gold medal instead of bronze?

Discuss

http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/olympics/2004/basketball/08/27/usa.argentina.ap/p1_duncan.ginobili_ap.jpg

Muser
11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Because Tim Duncan sucks.

/sarcasm.

BlackSwordsMan
11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
he's shitty and over-rated

Xylus
11-23-2009, 04:25 PM
He's just not that clutch.

TimDunkem
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Larry Brown.

Dex
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I think was a lot of things.

For whatever reason, Tim struggled to fit into the international game, and didn't find his post moves as a effective against the agile big men of the FIBA world. He was also extremely foul prone (especially for a guy who hardly ever fouls out in the NBA), to the point where I wanted to call conspiracy as a Tim Duncan fan. He was consistently not allowed to work in the post.

On top of that, it was a weak US National Team surrounding him. You had guys like Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson with their own agenda, while Lebron James and Dwayne Wade sat on the bench (they were like pre-sophmores at the time). That team was painfully thin on the front line (for a Dream team), and was more content jacking up shots. Duncan was never well utilized, even while on the floor.

It's also fair to say that the U.S. underestimated its competition, especially Argentina. Despite a weak showing in the previous WC, they still expected to go out there and dominate, and were caught on their heels when they didn't.

I think all of that built up to frustration, which also didn't help Tim's game. He seemed to be pressing, which only found him a spot on the bench faster than it found the ball in the basket. After all of that, it's no small surprise why Duncan didn't leave the experience a fan of FIBA.

Mel_13
11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
From the new Bill Simmons book:

"Duncan never received enough credit here: after playing 275 of a possible 289 games the previous three years, he sucked it up and represented his country while KG passed. Why? Because KG was tired from making it past the second round for the first time. But KG is the 'warrior'? Really?"

If KG, Kidd, and Kobe show up, the team wins.

Johnny RIngo
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2004_Summer_Olympics

Looking back, why did TD fail at winning gold. He & Iverson were the leaders of that team, yet the US REALLY underperformed. Guys like Gasol, Irk, and Manu had lesser supporting casts and led them futher.

Was is a lack of leadership? Poor coaching? Not having a goto guy they could depend on in the clutch? Is it fair to say that if Kobe is on that team, Duncan has a gold medal instead of bronze?

There's your problem right there.

An Unbiased Fan
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM

For whatever reason, Tim struggled to fit into the international game, and didn't find his post moves as a effective against the agile big men of the FIBA world. He was also extremely foul prone (especially for a guy who hardly ever fouls out in the NBA), to the point where I wanted to call conspiracy as a Tim Duncan fan. He was consistently not allowed to work in the post.

On top of that, it was a weak US National Team surrounding him. You had guys like Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson with their own agenda, while Lebron James and Dwayne Wade sat on the bench (they were like pre-sophmores at the time). That team was painfully thin on the front line (for a Dream team), and was more content jacking up shots. Duncan was never well utilized, even while on the floor.

It's also fair to say that the U.S. underestimated its competition, especially Argentina. Despite a weak showing in the previous WC, they still expected to go out there and dominate, and were caught on their heels when they didn't.

I think all of that built up to frustration, which also didn't help Tim's game. He seemed to be pressing, which only found him a spot on the bench faster than it found the ball in the basket. After all of that, it's no small surprise why Duncan didn't leave the experience a fan of FIBA.
Good post. I had forgot that Starbury was even on the team.

It was surprising to see TD struggle with FIBA rules because I thought he would thrive due to his skillset.

Muser
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
And Ginobili was a beast.

JJ Hickson
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Clearly because he is overrated. Tim Duncan is mostly the creation of david stern and NBA referees. You saw how much of a "winner" he is without the WWE tactics of the NBA to prop him up.

NRHector
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Clearly because he is overrated. Tim Duncan is mostly the creation of david stern and NBA referees. You saw how much of a "winner" he is without the WWE tactics of the NBA to prop him up.Wow talking about creation, what do you think David Stern and ESPN are doing to Lebron

FkLA
11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
From the new Bill Simmons book:

"Duncan never received enough credit here: after playing 275 of a possible 289 games the previous three years, he sucked it up and represented his country while KG passed. Why? Because KG was tired from making it past the second round for the first time. But KG is the 'warrior'? Really?"

If KG, Kidd, and Kobe show up, the team wins.

Exactly. KG, Kidd, Kobe, Shaq and Tmac who along with TD were probably the best players in the game at the time turned down invites. Plus some of the young guys like Melo, Bosh, Amare, Wade and Bron werent getting as much PT as they shouldve. Manu was a beast that tournament too.

JamStone
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
American arrogance. Teams and players from other countries were getting better, and the United States thought they could just throw together a bunch of third tier stars around a couple superstars and still walk away with it. Then you have Larry Brown's stubborness to play LeBron, Wade, and Carmelo in favor of Marbury, Odom, Jefferson, and Matrix.

Duncan did struggle with the FIBA rules and the officiating, but he was far from the main reason the US failed in 2004. However, in the same vein, if it were Kobe who led that team, Kobe haters would have made a huge deal about it to criticize Kobe.

I think it proves that regardless of how great one individual player is, teammates, coaching, and chemistry are still vital ingredients for team success.

JJ Hickson
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow talking about creation, what do you think David Stern and ESPN are doing to Lebron

LeBron James is the best player in the world, bar none. Don't try comparing him to someone who's not even in the top 5.

Muser
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
LeBron James is the best player in the world, bar none. Don't try comparing him to someone who's not even in the top 5.

I thought you were the best player.

PGDynasty24
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Exactly. KG, Kidd, Kobe, Shaq and Tmac who along with TD were probably the best players in the game at the time turned down invites. Plus some of the young guys like Melo, Bosh, Amare, Wade and Bron werent getting as much PT as they shouldve. Manu was a beast that tournament too.

Shaq was definitley not going cause he is fat and lazy. I thought T-mac had an injury that summer. Kobe was still dealing with the aftermath of the season he was accused of rape so wasnt going to do it. Kidd and KG def should've been there. And Larry Brown blows

JJ Hickson
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I thought you were the best player.

I will be when I get the P.T. Future G.O.A.T.

For now i"ll have to settle for better than Tim Duncan.

21_Blessings
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Discuss

Because Kobe Bryant is the player of the decade.

carrao45
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Because OBVIOUSLY Duncan is the worst player to ever pick up a basketball.

JoeTait75
11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Larry Brown.

myhc
11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I also remember a bunch of players backing out like Ray Allen because they were afraid of terrorist threats.

Austin_Toros
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM

yeah spot on.

a lot of players declined the offer to play and so the US was not the best it could possibly be. young players like Carmelo Anthony found themselves in Larry Brown's doghouse and "Lebronze" was hardly who he is now.

i remember watching one particular episode where Wade threw the ball to an unsuspecting Odom. Pretty much sums it all up.

Austin_Toros
11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I also remember a bunch of players backing out like Ray Allen because they were afraid of terrorist threats.

Wasn't Ray Allen getting married then? That's why he backed out. It might have been McGrady.

lefty
11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Fuck FIBA

lefty
11-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Or it was "FIBA sucks" :lol

duncan228
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Manu Ginobili, who led Argentina to the gold medal and is Duncan's teammate with the San Antonio Spurs, said the USA has to send its best players to win.

"I don't think the rest of the world has reached the United States," he said, "but to be assured to win, they have to bring the best. In 1992 you had (Michael) Jordan, (Larry) Bird and Magic Johnson, three of the greatest players ever. Here, they are great players too, but they are young. They never played internationally ... it's a whole different game."

That was most noticeable in how Duncan played. Unable to figure out the officiating and in constant foul trouble, the USA's best player was seldom a major factor. He fouled out of the semifinal loss to Argentina in only 19½ minutes.

"If Tim Duncan knew this was the system and how he was going to be treated in that sense, I think he would have thought seriously about not coming," said U.S. assistant Gregg Popovich, who also coaches Duncan and Ginobili on the Spurs.

A frustrated Duncan, who said that he is 95% sure his FIBA career is over and that "FIBA sucks," was asked if he felt his frustrations would deter other stars from playing in the Olympics. "I hope not," he said, "I'll try not to share my experience with anyone."

xellos88330
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I remember watching one of those games on TV. It was ridiculous. Every time Duncan had the ball, he was swarmed by 3 players at a minimum. The rest of the team would just stand around and leave him hanging.

Foul problems were huge. The officials didn't seem to want him to really play physical on either end of the court. Definitely not good for a power player like Timmy.

diego
11-23-2009, 06:29 PM
IMO:

first of all, the 04 team was a complete overhaul of the 02 team and would have been called redeem team had it won. also, in the 06 WC (another overhaul, this one without duncan) they finished the same as 04 with a bronze, but nobody gives lebron, melo and wade heat for that the way they do duncan in 04. (not to mention, pierce, brand, j. oneal, baron davis, miller and finley from 02- aside from miller, all legit franchise players at the time when they lost to a team without a single NBA player)

the 04 team had good talent but was unbalanced. the biggest problem was they didnt have enough defenders, with some players that were just terrible: ai, boozer, melo and amare are the first that come to mind. it was too easy to attack the paint, which should always be the US' natural advantage over other teams. and on top of that the team didnt have any real shooters so it was easy to pack the lane against them. But I think its stupid to say that the 04 team lacked talent. That team needed smart role players, not more stars.

spursfan1000
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
LMAO at you thinking that Duncan can possibly not be a good leader.

ploto
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Someone I trust on matters of FIBA told me before the Olympics that Tim would struggle with the rules, and he did.

SamoanTD
11-23-2009, 07:20 PM
damn man spit him out already sukin a lil to hard over there :lol

Darrin
11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I watched this team. Duncan was fed a steady diet of post play. They had a bunch of drive-and-kick players with no shooters on the team. Lebron had shot .290 from downtown. Wade shot .302 of 52 attempts. Iverson wouldn't even pass the ball to Duncan. He would just expect Duncan to rebound against the entire frontline from the competition.

So Duncan sets up on the post with three guys on him, he pitches out to a guard, and the guard drives towards the rim. The defense has already collapsed on Duncan, so they had no room to drive to the rim. Hence, it would result in a contested, bad shot, and they would turn the ball over a lot.

If they had one more big man and two more shooters they would've won the gold.

superbigtime
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
he's shitty and over-rated

Because Pop is.

ezau
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Fiba game is all about ball movement and passing, which is very different from the NBA brand of play. In international competitions, you need guys who know how to shoot and those who can read the zone. The US team simply didn't have enough shooters in 04 and every coach with half a brain knows that all you need to do is throw a zone defense against them. IMHO, Duncan shouldn't have played in that team. Come on, Iverson and Marbury in it? No way.

duhoh
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
why is TC's name so fail?

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 01:16 AM
why is TC's name so fail?
www.realgm.com (http://www.realgm.com) is his home. He did this shit thread or posted in it to criticise Tim Duncan to boost up Kobe's rating.

Darrin
11-24-2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZgd79r1_Ys

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 02:23 AM
I have to say it again. Bait thread by troll.

His statement on Magic Johnson: "#1 PG by far, and #2 overall behind Kobe."
The thread was arguing about, "where would prime Magic Johnson rank today"?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=961230&start=15

This thread is posted to make Duncan look bad while putting Kobe over the top. I doubt there was a need to do that.

FkLA
11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Duncan is Athlete of the Decade. Deal with it.

21_Blessings
11-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Thing about Magic is he basically retired in his prime.

And he's still easily in the top 5, number 2 on most people's list.

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Thing about Magic is he basically retired in his prime.

And he's still easily in the top 5, number 2 on most people's list.
If Magic played today, he is either number 1 or number 2 behind LeBron. To say Kobe is first without going through LeBron is ridiculous. Troll is unsuccessful.

jacobdrj
11-24-2009, 03:55 AM
When you have Larry Brown benching guys like LeBron, Carmelo, and Bosh, you likely won't win a god damn thing...

Go to Hell Larry Brown.

21_Blessings
11-24-2009, 06:39 AM
If Magic played today, he is either number 1 or number 2 behind LeBron. To say Kobe is first without going through LeBron is ridiculous. Troll is unsuccessful.

To say Lebron is number 1 or ahead of Kobe without winning a title is the most retarded thing ever.

Lebron is the only one here that needs to prove anything. Wake me up when he wins something.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 06:50 AM
21 is correct here. Until James rings he is not worthy of comparison.

ezau
11-24-2009, 07:03 AM
To say Lebron is number 1 or ahead of Kobe without winning a title is the most retarded thing ever.

Lebron is the only one here that needs to prove anything. Wake me up when he wins something.

Comparing Lebron to Kobe is pointless IMO. Kobe has an 8-year head start against Lebron and he has won the majority of his rings when Lebron hasn't been in the league. When everything is said and done though, I believe that Lebron will be better compared to Kobe as far as stats are concerned. However, he hasn't won a damn ring, until he starts winning the LOB, Kobe is still the better player. I'll give Kobe 3 years before he starts declining. From that point on, Lebron is going to be the best wing player of his time.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 07:12 AM
From that point on, Lebron is going to be the best wing player of his time.

Provided he's rang by then. One must ring before one can be compared with others who have rung. James ain't no exception.

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 11:04 AM

I am comparing impact on their teams. Not their accolades and careers. Everyone knows LeBron has not won shit but he is carrying his team of suck throughout his entire career. Just for the sake of comparisons, I am going to use the 1st six years of Bryant's career against LeBron's 1st 6 years.

Kobe's after 6 years in the NBA in terms of accomplishments:
All Rookie 2nd team.
Winner of 1997 Dunk contest.
Youngest NBA all star starter in league history.
3 championships as the top two options with the Los Angeles Lakers
2 All-NBA defensive 2nd team
2 All-NBA 2nd team
Made 4 all-star games.
1 All-NBA 1st team
1 All-NBA defensive 1st team
Youngest to make All-NBA defensive teams in the league.
Tied attempted shots with 28 in a half with Elgin Baylor.

LeBron's accomplishments for his career:
1 NBA MVP
NBA Rookie of the Year in 2004
All-Rookie 1st team
NBA scoring champion in 2008
Made the 1st NBA finals for the city of Cleveland but got swept by the Spurs.
3 time All-NBA 1st team
1 time All-Defensive 1st team
1 time All-NBA 2nd team
1 time All-NBA 3rd team

Very debatable but I would say Kobe Bryant had more team successes as compared to LeBron James who had more indidvidual awards. I would give the edge to Bryant but the scale might tip to James once he wins the championship.

whottt
11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
They didn't have any consistent outside shooting, a true distributing PG, and the refs were replacement refs that strongly appeared to have an anti-Duncan agenda.

Kobe hell...Ray Allen would have made the difference.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I just gots ta hope that when it happens (James ringin') it'll be after the 4th ring by Kobe will have taken reality. Christ-a-mighty, and I thought waitin' 3 years after Daddy rang/sans Kobe was the end of my misery. Now Chief lays it on me that I've got some more years yet. Bummer.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:23 AM
They didn't have any consistent outside shooting, a true distributing PG, and the refs were replacement refs that strongly appeared to have an anti-Duncan agenda.

Yep, no utopia there. And when there ain't utopia, the entire contingent from the state of Texas (Spurs, Mavs, Rockets & attendant rank & file) refuse to budge.

An Unbiased Fan
11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I find your lack of logic hilarious. You call me a troll for saying Kobe would be #1 and Magic #2, yet you casually put James who couldn't even beat an injured Orlando team with HCA over both??? :lol

Lebron has only beat ONE 50 win team in the playoffs his entire career. The guy struggles against elite teams, and doesn't compare yet to guys like Kobe/Magic who have 9 rings combined, and endless playoffs wins against quality 50 win opponents. :wakeup

An Unbiased Fan
11-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I am comparing impact on their teams. Not their accolades and careers. Everyone knows LeBron has not won shit but he is carrying his team of suck throughout his entire career. Just for the sake of comparisons, I am going to use the 1st six years of Bryant's career against LeBron's 1st 6 years.

Kobe's after 6 years in the NBA in terms of accomplishments:
All Rookie 2nd team.
Winner of 1997 Dunk contest.
Youngest NBA all star starter in league history.
3 championships as the top two options with the Los Angeles Lakers
2 All-NBA defensive 2nd team
2 All-NBA 2nd team
Made 4 all-star games.
1 All-NBA 1st team
1 All-NBA defensive 1st team
Youngest to make All-NBA defensive teams in the league.
Tied attempted shots with 28 in a half with Elgin Baylor.

LeBron's accomplishments for his career:
1 NBA MVP
NBA Rookie of the Year in 2004
All-Rookie 1st team
NBA scoring champion in 2008
Made the 1st NBA finals for the city of Cleveland but got swept by the Spurs.
3 time All-NBA 1st team
1 time All-Defensive 1st team
1 time All-NBA 2nd team
1 time All-NBA 3rd team

Very debatable but I would say Kobe Bryant had more team successes as compared to LeBron James who had more indidvidual awards. I would give the edge to Bryant but the scale might tip to James once he wins the championship.
Comparing Kobe & Lebron through their first 6 years is irrevelant because the realgm thread was about the NBA NOW. Lebron still hasn't proven that he can lead the Cavs to playoff victories against quality teams(50+ wins). Beating up on a sub .500 Pistons team, or mediocre Hawks team gets no props. I'm still baffled how the Cavs lost to a Jameer-less Magic team with HCA and the refs on their side.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm still baffled how the Cavs lost to a Jameer-less Magic team with HCA and the refs on their side.

Luva solved the mystery as follows: James wanted to play all 5 positions= PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

LakeShow
11-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Fans think different,

Updated: Nov 20, 2009, 9:30 AM
Vote: NBA highlights of the decade

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

Total Votes: 3,826

1) Which is the franchise of the decade?

Lakers 75.4%

Spurs 24.6%

2) Which is the team of the decade?

'99-'00 Lakers (67-15, Won Finals) 48.2%

'00-'01 Lakers (56-26, Won Finals) 19.9%

'07-'08 Celtics (66-16, Won Finals) 13.9%

'08-'09 Lakers (65-17, Won Finals) 11.1%

'04-'05 Spurs (59-23, Won Finals) 6.9%

3) Who is the player of the decade?

Kobe Bryant 70.9%

Tim Duncan 14.3%

Shaquille O'Neal 6.8%

LeBron James 5.9%

Kevin Garnett 2.2%

4) Which is the shot of the decade?

Robert Horry's 3-pointer from the top of the key vs. Kings, '02 49.9%

Derek Fisher's in-bounds turnaround jumper with 0.4 remaining vs. Spurs, '04 37.6%

LeBron James 3-pointer vs. Magic, '09 8.7%

Devin Harris' halfcourt shot vs. Nets, '09 3.8%

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Luva reportin' for duty!

duhoh
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM
When that stupid ass Mo is given some breathing room from James, he actually plays well, if given the chance. But James is like a Bean Counter, Micro-Manager on the court. You cant do shit without him trying to assist you, or take credit for what he thought he helped you do.

YES!

i totally agree. this is like someone cheesing a superstar on NBA 2K10 for a quadruple double!

oh, and 1v5 doesn't work. ask lebroom. well, he did assist our team in 07. . .:lol

Gutter92
11-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Dunno, maybe lack of supporting cast?

I mean, its easy to win when Wade and LeBron are the leaders of a team, like last year. Take Kobe off that team and they do just as well, if not better.

IronMexican
11-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Peyton Manning.

Gutter92
11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Fans think different,

Lakers 75.4%

Spurs 24.6%

Kobe Bryant 70.9%

Tim Duncan 14.3%

Shaquille O'Neal 6.8%

LeBron James 5.9%

Kevin Garnett 2.2%

Derek Fisher's in-bounds turnaround jumper with 0.4 remaining vs. Spurs, '04 37.6%

lol fans

couldn't be cause the Lakers have the biggest fanbase in the nation? nah.

Gutter92
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
oh and wow, 3826 votes. 3826 fan votes. lmao

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
You guys are so insecure. Why would you take a political machination with an iota of concern?

An Unbiased Fan
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Dunno, maybe lack of supporting cast?

I mean, its easy to win when Wade and LeBron are the leaders of a team, like last year. Take Kobe off that team and they do just as well, if not better.
Agreed, like back in 2006 during the WCs, Lebron and Wade led team USA to..............oh wait, nevermind. On 2nd thought you are 100% wrong.

ginobili's bald spot
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
lol fans

couldn't be cause the Lakers have the biggest fanbase in the nation? nah.

Yes, because all other fan bases combined only equal 20% of Laker fans. That MUST be the explanation. It couldn't possibly be because you are a biased homer. :lol

Gutter92
11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, because all other fan bases combined only equal 20% of Laker fans. That MUST be the explanation. It couldn't possibly be because you are a biased homer. :lol

3800 votes. I'd even give it to Shaq before Kobe, since, you know, he has 3 Finals MVPs(like Duncan).

ginobili's bald spot
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd even give it to Shaq before Kobe, since, you know, he has 3 Finals MVPs(like Duncan).

I'm sure you would. And apparently the vast majority of people disagree with you.

phyzik
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm sure you would. And apparently the vast majority of people disagree with you.

yes, because less than 4000 votes constitutes the vast majority of NBA fandom.

ginobili's bald spot
11-24-2009, 06:20 PM

70% does. Apparently you don't understand the concept of a poll.

FkLA
11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Fans think different,

Lakers 75.4%

Spurs 24.6%

Kobe Bryant 70.9%

Tim Duncan 14.3%

Shaquille O'Neal 6.8%

LeBron James 5.9%

Kevin Garnett 2.2%

And when was the last time Tim Duncan or the San Antonio Spurs have won a popularity contest? Get out of here with that shit, fans vote for their favorite teams/players and the the Lakers have more fans than the Spurs do. Thats the only thing your post proves.

mystargtr34
11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Must be beacause Kobe >>> Duncan.

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Comparing Kobe & Lebron through their first 6 years is irrevelant because the realgm thread was about the NBA NOW. Lebron still hasn't proven that he can lead the Cavs to playoff victories against quality teams(50+ wins). Beating up on a sub .500 Pistons team, or mediocre Hawks team gets no props. I'm still baffled how the Cavs lost to a Jameer-less Magic team with HCA and the refs on their side.
Fail. Detroit Pistons in 2007.

When Mo Williams, the 2nd best player chokes to epic proportions, no one steps up and LeBron does all the things but still gets beaten, you would have thought the team needed more help. The team overachieved in 2009.

If I told you before the 2008-2009 season started that the Cavs will have the best record in the NBA with 66 wins, you would have thought I was a lunatic.

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I find your lack of logic hilarious. You call me a troll for saying Kobe would be #1 and Magic #2, yet you casually put James who couldn't even beat an injured Orlando team with HCA over both??? :lol

Lebron has only beat ONE 50 win team in the playoffs his entire career. The guy struggles against elite teams, and doesn't compare yet to guys like Kobe/Magic who have 9 rings combined, and endless playoffs wins against quality 50 win opponents. :wakeup
The better team wins the playoff series most of the time. To say LeBron had a better team than the teams he lost to is hilarious.

ezau
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Provided he's rang by then. One must ring before one can be compared with others who have rung. James ain't no exception.

Yeap.

LakeShow
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM

:tu

Total Votes: 4,175

Lakers 75.0%

Spurs 25.0%

'99-'00 Lakers (67-15, Won Finals) 48.4%

'00-'01 Lakers (56-26, Won Finals) 19.2%

'07-'08 Celtics (66-16, Won Finals) 14.6%

'08-'09 Lakers (65-17, Won Finals) 11.0%

'04-'05 Spurs (59-23, Won Finals) 6.8%

Kobe Bryant 70.3%

Tim Duncan 14.5%

Shaquille O'Neal 6.7%

LeBron James 6.2%

Kevin Garnett 2.3%

Robert Horry's 3-pointer from the top of the key vs. Kings, '02 49.2%

Derek Fisher's in-bounds turnaround jumper with 0.4 remaining vs. Spurs, '04 37.8%

LeBron James 3-pointer vs. Magic, '09 9.0%

Devin Harris' halfcourt shot vs. Nets, '09 4.0%

LakeShow
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Spurs fans kill with this "voting is a popularity vote" when it does nothing to support their arguments.

Let's do this, lets remove all awards that each player received that was voted by fans (writers, columnists etc.. are nothing but fans and I think we both agree that they don't always get it right). No MVp's, DPOY, 1st team all NBA etc. since those are as you say, just popularity votes. I agree in some cases voting can be bias. Kobe Bryant was blackballed after he was falsely accused of raping some Tramp and if not for his bad pub he would have easily been voted the MVP during those seasons after the incident.

Tim Duncan benefited from Sterns globalization of the NBA and the spurs were the poster team for that globalization. Tim Duncan was the popular choice when he won it.

Now you say Duncan is the player of the Decade. Lets see some hard stats that support your claim. NBA Championships and appearances are a team accomplishment. No one player can win a championship. So let's give them a half of a point for titles and appearances.

I say that Kobe bryant is the best player of the decade and here's his resume without any voting awards.

The number 1 award,

Kobe Bryant led the NBA in scoring this decade. averaging 28.7

4-time NBA champion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions): 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009
6 NBA Finals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals) appearances: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009

2-time scoring champion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_season_sco ring_leaders): 2006, 2007
Most three-point field goals made, one game: 12 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics; shared with Donyell Marshall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donyell_Marshall)
Most three-point field goals made, one half: 8 (on March 28, 2003 vs. Washington Wizards; shared with 5 other players
Season: Points 2,832 (2005–06 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_NBA_season))
Game: 81 (on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)
Half: 55 (2nd half, on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)
Quarter: 30 (twice, most recently on November 30, 2006 in 3rd quarter vs. Utah Jazz
Games scoring 40 points or more, season: 27 (2005–06)
Consecutive games of 50 points or more: 4 (March 16–23, 2007)
Consecutive games of 40 points or more: 9 (February 6–23, 2003)
Game: 23 freethrows (twice, most recently on January 31, 2006 vs. New York Knicks)
Game, playoffs: 21 freethrows (on May 4, 2008 vs. Utah Jazz
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Med_1.png Gold medal with Team USA, 2008 Summer Olympics
That's a few accomplishments by Kobe. What are Duncans accomplishments?

Stats wise Duncan was not even the best PF in the Decade. That honor would go to Kevin Garnett. Howard led the Decade in Rebounding.

While we're at it, what are his hard stats that support Duncan being the Best PF (although he really should be listed as a PF/C, but for the sake of discussion, we'll just use PF's) of all time? How many 30-30 games did Duncan have in his career? Two PF's that I consider better than Duncan, Malone and Hayes accomplished this feat twice in their career.

12-05-70 E.Hayes,SD vs LA 30-38
11-17-73 E.Hayes,Cap. vs Atl. 32-43
2-09-79 M.Malone,Hous. vs NO 37-33
2-11-82 M.Malone,Hous. vs Sea. 32-38

Hakeem, another player that was better than Duncan set records in Blocked shots. What records did Duncan set? What stat stands out as a great accomplishment from a so called GOAT?

Give me some hard stats.

Galileo
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
The 2004 US team had no three-point shooting. Nada.

urunobili
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Mel_13 FTW: If KG, Kidd, and Kobe show up, the team wins. :tu