PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Spurs will deliberate then decide Brown's playoff status today

Kori Ellis
04-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Notebook: Spurs will deliberate then decide Brown's playoff status today
Web Posted: 04/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042105.5C.BKNspurs.notebook.1fa44436a.html

MINNEAPOLIS — Spurs officials will meet with their medical staff today before deciding whether to put Devin Brown on the playoff roster.

Teams have to submit their playoff roster this afternoon.

"We discussed it. We argued. We fought," coach Gregg Popovich said. "There's been blood."

Brown hasn't played since March 21 because of a herniated disk in his lower back. While his back no longer troubles him, he's still trying to regain strength in his right leg.

"It's frustrating," Brown said. "When I'm out there and playing and healthy, there's no question whether I should be (on the roster)."

Brown still favors the leg at times, but he's making progress.

"Four or five more days of being active and I think I'll be OK," he said.

Teams are not allowed to change their roster for the duration of the playoffs.

"His progress has been so slow that you're really rolling the bones he's going to be able to help you at some point," Popovich said. "The most important playoff series is the first one. You don't think about beyond that."

What happened? The Spurs asked the NBA for clarification on Mike Miller's winning shot at the end of Monday's loss in Memphis.

League officials, Popovich said, have yet to answer all the team's questions.

Miller's 22-foot shot came after the final buzzer. Referee Steve Javie recognized the clock had started early and awarded the basket.

The referees huddled for about five minutes but never looked at a replay of the shot.

"They're still discussing it," Popovich said of league officials. "In general, I think it's the right decision because it's the fair thing to do. It's obvious to everybody on the planet the clock started way too early, and he would have gotten it off. He made it, so give them the win. But there are technical parts to it, too, and questions that have to be answered.

"What if it didn't go in? Would they have done a do-over? What if the clock started too late, would they say screw it and just go with it?"

The Spurs are interested in the interpretation because of the finish in Game 5 of last season's Western Conference semifinals loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. After Derek Fisher caught and released the winning shot in 0.4 seconds, the Spurs contended the clock started late.

Iron man: With Brent Barry sitting out Wednesday's game, Bruce Bowen is the only Spur to play in all 82 games. It's the third consecutive season Bowen hasn't missed a game. *knocks on wood*

Over and out: Kevin McHale completed his 31-game tenure as Minnesota's coach Wednesday.

McHale, the team's vice president of basketball operations, took over as coach after firing Flip Saunders on Feb. 12. Before Wednesday, the team had gone 18-12 under McHale.

But don't tell him that.

"It feels like we're 2-20," McHale said.

Minnesota advanced to the Western Conference finals last season for the first time. The team's problems, McHale said, began in training camp.

"If you have talent and you work hard, you've got something special," McHale said. "If you have talent, and you don't work hard, you're just... This is a blue-collar league."

If McHale returns, his first task will be to hire a new coach.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Brown still favors the leg at times, but he's making progress.

I'd love to see him healthy for us for the post-season, but it just doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

timvp
04-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Putting him on should be a no-brainer.

No way do I ever want to see Marks, Wilks or Tha Third in a playoff game.

T Park
04-21-2005, 12:49 AM
You can win playoff games with 11 players.

AND, if you cant win, without a 1 legged Devin Brown, you weren't gonna do shit anyways.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what the discussion is about.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2005, 12:55 AM
The discussion is probably mostly about keeping Wilks on the roster. The Spurs aren't looking forward to the difficulty of guarding Boykins. Tony could do it, but he's normally on the bench when Boykins comes in. Beno doesn't exactly have the body or the speed to guard little Earl.

whottt
04-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Just say no to Wilks...if the Spurs didn't let him handle the ball I might be more agreeable to his inclusion on the playoffs roster...but he do, and he sucks...

And I didn't see him d'ing up on Boykins in our last 2 losses.

I'd rather see Beno on Boykins..yeah he can't guard Boykins but at least he can shoot over him.

Just say no to Wilks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2005, 12:59 AM
I think you've gotta have wilks around for that Denver matchup alone.

Tony's gonna have his hands more than full with Andre Miller as it is, we need someone else to do with Boykins, Beno's not quick or stocky enough.

T Park
04-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Wich is why probobly, Tony is gonna have to play about 38 40 minutes a game.

IMO, you play Tony that whole first quarter, then you put someone like, Barry on him.

Someone big just to body up on him.

Its tough, But you definately have Tony on him in the 4th quarters.

Ginobili will definately need to bring it offensively and defensively.

T Park
04-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Tony's gonna have his hands more than full with Andre Miller as it is

Ginobili could handle Andre Miller,

when they play both Miller and Boykins.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2005, 01:03 AM
YOu can get by with having Wilks in the game by letting Manu or Barry bring the ball up the floor Whott.

whottt
04-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah but that's not what we do....

We could also get by with having a huge back court of Barry and Manu...but we don't do that either.

What we do is let Wilks touch the ball and he makes zero plays, wastes the clock, either turns it over, makes a pass that gives us no advantage, or jacks up an ugly shot.

My problem with Wilks being on the roster is that he will get used as a PG...

I rather put Devin on the roster, knowing full well that Devin will not play anothr game this season, just to avoid Wilks handling the ball against the Nuggets...

What everyone overlooks with Boykins...

Yes Wilks might be able to D up on Earl, but that's gonna give the Nuggets a chance to D up on Wilks...that's going to give Boykins a guy that he can actually D up on...we lose out on that matchup...it's a loser for us because Wilks is so offensively poor(or green if you like that term better) that Boykins will still win that matchup...

I can gurantee you we won't win a Wilks Boykins matchup...but we could win a Beno, Manu or Barry matchup...or get a push out of it.

There's two sides of the ball...and we loseout with Wilks V Boykins because of that other side of the ball

Just say no to Wilks...

T Park
04-21-2005, 01:11 AM
My problem with Wilks being on the roster is that he will get used as a PG

Uh, isn't that what he is?

whottt
04-21-2005, 01:12 AM
In title only, not in deed.

T Park
04-21-2005, 01:14 AM
what is he then, a shooting guard?

Id run a big lineup of Barry and Ginobili out there.

Udrih will play though, but they better be backing him up on D when Boykins leaves him seriously in the dust.

whottt
04-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Actually Wilks does have a pretty good shot when he gets time to set...he just doesn't ever do that when he's running the point...

I wouldn't mind him near as much if all he did was camp out at the 3 while someone else sets the offense up...but he does it when he's in the game and it usually turns into a clusterfuck of pisspoor execution, bad timing, and confusion.

I don't have anything against Wilks, he's not a bad 3rd string PG...but he's not gonna help us win this series and the Nuggets will probably be able to take advantage of him..we've got better options than Wilks.

Let's make Earl D up on a 6'6, 6'7 guy(* a foot taller) with handles that can match his own, and ability to create shots for others every good as his...that's how you get Boykins off the court...he's not going to be able to shoot over those guys either...the best part of his game.

T Park
04-21-2005, 01:22 AM
he wont shoot over em,

theyll just pick and roll the spurs to death giving him open jumpers.

But, lets hope the Spurs D up on Boykins better than the last games.

That was a big reason the Spurs lost the game up in Denver.

Look at it this way,

if the Spurs had defended Boykins better, and held Camby slightly in check that night, and had kept him out of the paint blocking shots, along with NENE, the Spurs win that game up in Denver.

Even AFTER the bad start.

IMO, if your the Spurs, you take the third quarter and beginning and middle of the 4th, you highlight it and say, lets do this.

Also the other loss was 2 points, and no Ginobili and Duncan.

Hopefully Ginonbili brings his A+ game.

This is where he should earn the BIG BIG money.

Tek_XX
04-21-2005, 03:11 AM
If Devin won't be playing then you've got to go with someone who can play.

AFE7FATMAN
04-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Pop will take Wilks and than He should take the heat when one of our bigs goes down.

Just a thought but would Pop leave Rasho off the roster?

i.e. bye bye LJ III, RASHO, and Devin?

Gummi
04-21-2005, 07:41 AM
People are talking about Boykins like he's Michael Jordan. Wake up people! Yeah, he's extremly fast, but that's about it. I'm more worried about Carmelo and Camby then Boykins. What about when we finish the Nuggets off and face "probably" the Sonics, who's going to guard Antonio Daniels, not Wilks, the guy's 5-10.

I say leave, Wilks, Johnson, and Marks, but I have the feeling that Brown isn't going to be ready in time so then him of course.

whottt
04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
he wont shoot over em,

theyll just pick and roll the spurs to death giving him open jumpers.

Then do the same to Boykins and have Nazr erase his ass.

I dunno what makes you think little Wilks is going to be able to handle being picked better than Manu or Barry...plus our bigs defend the pickNroll well.

But, lets hope the Spurs D up on Boykins better than the last games.

That was a big reason the Spurs lost the game up in Denver.

Look at it this way,

if the Spurs had defended Boykins better, and held Camby slightly in check that night, and had kept him out of the paint blocking shots, along with NENE, the Spurs win that game up in Denver.

Look at it this way...Mike Wilks defended Boykins in that game.

Hopefully Ginonbili brings his A+ game.

This is where he should earn the BIG BIG money.

It's funny...

Manu has beaten Karl, Pop, KMart and Carmelo...he's even beaten Pop when he had Tim Duncan.

The fear Denver should have of Manu should far exceed any fear we have of any player on the Nuggets roster...

Then you toss in the Big Dogg and our assistant coach, both of whom know Karl well....

Add to that an unguardable point guard named Tony...

Two former 3 point champions and one of the clutchest shooters in NBA history...

And oh yeah...that Tim Duncan guy...Camby and KMart have both been his bitch before....

Mix it all together and add a dash of the best defense in the NBA..

There is no way we should lose this series.

boutons
04-21-2005, 08:00 AM
"fast, that's about it."

wrong. He can score 15 - 20 pts pretty quckly, on short jumpers and runners, and is very good on FTs. He shoots the same FG% as Tony, but is a much better jump and FT shooter than Tony. He's done 20+ pts many times this year, including 23 when blowing out the Spurs. He's as valuable a backup PG as Beno. The Nuggets really don't lose a lot from their offense when Earl replaces Andre.

Gummi
04-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Boykins is a good player, no doubt. But his game is mostly about speed and fast break opportunites. I agree, his jumpers are money. In order to stop that our bigs have to step up and force him to pass the ball. Try to limit their fast break opportunities, that's the key to their game.

All of their players are able to run the floor pretty good. So get back quickly guys.

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Brown is out if he is not ready

bigbendbruisebrother
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Putting him on the roster would be a serious gamble. If the gamble were to pay off, we'd have another injured guy recovering and trying to get his rhythm back while playing. We have seen during the past few weeks how effective that is, and it hasn't been pretty. But unlike these last few weeks, every game will be crucial. If the gamble were to not pay off, we'd have 11 guys with whom to make a full playoff run and one less sub to support our already injury riddled squad.

I have a strong feeling that Pop will leave Brown off of the roster.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a strong feeling that Pop will leave Brown off of the roster.

In favor of who, Wilks or Marks?

MannyIsGod
04-21-2005, 08:57 AM
We sure as hell don't need six bigs, and as much as I love Marks, he doesn't belong on the playoff roster. I've listened to the debate over Wilks/Brown, and I've come to the exact same conclusion.

There are very few people in this leauge who can guard Boykins. Wilks is not amoung that group. It just doesn't make sense to leave Brown off of the roster for the very unlikely possibility that Wilks will be able to stop a bench player who is great, but not the center of Denvers game.

Brown belongs on that roster.

BigVee
04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't think you keep someone (wilks) on the roster just because he MIGHT help against a particular player in the first round. Nor do I think D Brown will be of much help (unfortunately) because of his injury. Since the bigger players...TD and Rasho are of questionable health I think you keep Marks on the roster...as much as he often looks like a wild kangaroo jumping around out there..the further the Spurs advance the bigger the teams get...

Que Gee
04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
If we are seriously creating a playoff roster around a 5'7" guard named, Earl Boykins...This team is in SERIOUS trouble and has no chance of winning a title.

bigzak25
04-21-2005, 09:13 AM
i think wilks should make it at the expense of TMAss (who has been a big dissappointment imo), but we know that ain't gonna happen....

but as much as i like wilks, i wouldn't sacrafice dev's spot for him...

Duncan, Horry
Bruce, GRob, Dev
Rasho, Nazr, Mass,
Manu, Barry
TP, Beno.

MannyIsGod
04-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I want 5 bigs going into the playoffs. Mass has muscle, and he can match up against stronger forwards like Forton etc etc.

But Wilks has ONE matchup, and he's STILL going to get burned in that one. I'm sorry, but babyface Mike can watch from the bench. In street clothes.

MadDog73
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
i think wilks should make it at the expense of TMAss (who has been a big dissappointment imo), but we know that ain't gonna happen....

:rolleyes Are you kidding me? Wilks for Massenburg? Lord, if you're going to dis Mass, at LEAST but another big (Marks) in for him.

Or do you admit, Mass is better than Marks?

bigzak25
04-21-2005, 09:52 AM
i'm sorry man, i think rash, naz, and horry with TD should be enough to get the job done. Grob is 240lbs...and we know he's good for some fouls as well.

Mass is muscle. no doubt. but he can't get up off the ground. i've seen too many people take it to the cup on his ass or just plain ol DUNK while he's just standing...watching....

case in point, Horry saved the day in that clippers game....came over and blocked the shot of TMass's man....that's how i saw it...am i wrong? i'd like to be.

it's a moot point anyway bro, no way in hell pop leaves him off...but only cuz he's a vet. if he was a young guy, he'd be off. Kiwi is a better player than Mass based on heart and hustle alone...better rebounder too, but wouldn't get any respect on D in the playoffs and he's not going to be taking any minutes or shots away from rash/td/horry so that's why marks is off.

i was TMass supporter automatically as he was/is a former spur, but he's just dissappointed me this year, what can i say. so yeah, i vote wilks>mass. that's just me. flame away.

MannyIsGod
04-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I respect Zak. I disagree, but you do have good logic behind it.

whottt
04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
I think Zak is right basically...Mass sucked this year, but IMO he redeemed himself and showed his value in both of the double OT games...He can't block shots like Horry but his toughness inside helped us win both of those games.

If not for the double OT games I wouldn't want Mass on the roster either.

MadDog73
04-21-2005, 10:03 AM
so yeah, i vote wilks>mass. that's just me. flame away.

No flame. At least you have the balls to say it...

While Massenburg pisses me off when he mishandles the ball, or isn't quite quick enough, as you point out, his experience more than makes up for Marks hustle (as much as I like Marks).

I've been arguing Marks over Wilks for some time now, but it was shot down by committee. :rolleyes (As you say, we already have enough bigs).

So, it's between Wilks and Devin, basically a gamble. Do you take the better Brown and hope he can play, or the unproven Wilks, who will probably end up on the bench anyway.

Hopefully, in the end, the choice won't matter much, as Parker and Beno prove to be more than enough to carry us to another Championship.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-21-2005, 11:15 AM
In favor of who, Wilks or Marks?

I know and I understand the argument for having Wilks (Boykins), and I imagine that's what Pop will do, but if it were up to me, I'd choose Marks for one reason.

Every big we have except Massenburg is injured (Horry stress fracture, Duncan/Rasho ankles, Nazr groin). As the playoffs grind on, we'll need deep bench relievers to spell these guys. Marks has played good D, he hasn't screwed up the offense too badly, and as someone pointed out, it's fun to see Napoleon Dynamite on the ally oop.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
i think wilks should make it at the expense of TMAss

Massenburg and Marks are the only 100% healthy bigs we have. T Mass has a nice midrange game, and we need a painful foul giver for Denver's bigs.

PS Zak, the disappearance of your signature photos has left several pairs of voids in my life.